Principally, navigation would look like this: the main page, with all the forums (Feeback, RC, Paddock Club, etc.) wouldn't change. Once you go into Racing Comments, though, we have a few subforums at the top of the page.
- Official 2013 Driver threads
- Official 2013 Team threads
- Official 2013 Season threads
- Official 2013 Scorecoards
This I propose for a few reasons:
- Ease of reading: any official, marathon sort of threads have their own subsection. All unrelated and one-off threads stay where they are now (threads like "The Great Formula One Photographs", "Countdown to Australia 2013", "FIA scrap 2014 bodywork changes" etc. will stay as they are).
- This will give plenty of exposure to less-popular threads, like the Official Kovalainen Thread or the Official Marussia thread. It won't be buried 6 pages into the forum after just a few particularly exciting and newsworthy days in the world of racing.
- It will stop people from posting things relevant to a driver in the team's thread, simply because they can't find the driver's thread.
- All official threads could be created by mods to maintain uniformity (so we don't have the first 3 threads be something like "2013 Lewis Hamilton" then "Official Button thread for 2013" then "ALGUERSAURUS!". It would all look clean and spiffy and easy to read.
- People who put in a lot of work to update lesser-known series (like some of the Argentinian series Repco von Brabham posts about occasionally) will get more viewers. A thread about a South American touring car season will never be far from the top in "Official 2013 Season threads", instead of 14 pages deep in Racing Comments as it is now.
- It will (hopefully) encourage people to share more obscure things. You may want to make a thread about a local or junior driver, but shy away from it because it would look silly if you made an Official Driver thread for some leadfoot no one's ever heard of and his thread's just sitting there ignored while Lewis Hamilton's gets bumped 100 times every day. But now you have an entire section devoted specifically to driver's threads, and it doesn't take much imagination to see how it could become one of the more interesting parts of this forum once we start getting a good few threads dedicated to intriguing drivers. The same would go for lesser-known series. How awesome would it be if you find some crazy new series to follow solely because someone thought "Well, that section is begging for something new to talk about, so I'll make a thread about the awesomeness that is Figure 8 Bus Racing".
As I said, this forum's been around long enough that something like this is bound to have been proposed in the past and not used for whatever reason, but I've thought briefly nearly every time I've been on here in the past year that the place might be a bit more easy and fun to peruse if it was organized something like this. Can you think of any more sub-sections it might be useful to have? Official track threads, for news about certain venues? Any reasons for or against this? General thoughts?