* * * - - 10 votes

Hamilton Vs Rosberg - 2013 [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3907 replies to this topic

#851 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:17

Are you serious? That has to be one of the most biased comments I've read. I can name far more mistakes Hamilton's made in his career than Rosberg.

Neither of those are particularly good examples.

Brazil '07 - Lewis might've delivered in qualifying, but he choked severally in the race. He ran wide twice in the opening few laps.
Brazil '08 - Nearly threw away an easy championship, overtaken by Vettel with two laps to go, and was lucky the rain got heavy at the end.

Everyone can name Hamilton's mistakes, there's a thread on every last one! Also, there aren't too many to remember  ;) . Nobody takes so much notice of Rosberg's and the others, especially in the midfield. But I do remember Patrick Head getting annoyed about them.

In Brazil 07 it was not choking but 'race rage' after Kimi brake-tested him and then as a result Alonso got past. Then he merely overshot passing into T1 as he had to keep trying. The drive was perfect otherwise, and he might have clinched the title even with the gearbox fault if Ron hadn't gone for the short stint on options.

In 08 it was a brilliant drive under massive, massive pressure with the wretched low-downforce wing in the wet, losing positions with bad strategy and then Kubica pushing through. I just don't believe Nico at 23 could have done it. The pressure is unimaginable. Look how nearly Vettel tossed his championship away last year, how Alonso tightened up...

So whatever advantage Nico is going to enjoy it's not going to be a strong head. They all feel pressure.

Advertisement

#852 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:19

I wouldn't pay too much attention. Unfortunately for some they can't help themselves but have a blinkered and negative view of the competition. Rosberg is terrible. You see, you see?????? Yawn.

You didn't pay too much attention

#853 andrewf1

andrewf1

• 599 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:28

Hamilton a bit off the pace here in the dry so far. Rosberg basically every lap constantly faster till rain started.

Not at all, they were evenly matched.

Posted Image

the green highlights showcase which driver was faster on the respective lap.

--> source

#854 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,403 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:28

I agree that it is not a good idea to list all the losses of composure 9that could get ugly and they have all been gone over before), but I do think it is enough to say that there have been many. Fair enough, some of that might just be because Ham is in the media and on the forums more than most drivers and so we hear the stories more - but I stand by my point, which is that Ros has an extremely cool head and this is a great virtue for a driver under pressure. Ros will not get involved in any mind or blame games, and he can be relied on to have good judgment, which is a critical skill.

#855 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,403 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:46

I don't think things are any worse than Merc being pretty much where most people would expect them to be, with the exception that McLaren are (at the moment) all at sea and FI seem unusually good. So - plenty of racing to do to get results, which is an excellent prospect.

#856 yoyogetfunky

yoyogetfunky

• 856 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:51

I cant believe Hamilton said their race pace looks good. It wasnt that impressive and the tyres were very hard to manage (granted, that went for most of the grid). Rosberg and Hamilton seem to be very equal on pace in the dry (havent seen fp2 in the wet) so that will be interesting. Possibly a fight with the (hugely impressive) Force Indias?

Edited by yoyogetfunky, 22 March 2013 - 11:51.

#857 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:07

I cant believe Hamilton said their race pace looks good. It wasnt that impressive and the tyres were very hard to manage (granted, that went for most of the grid). Rosberg and Hamilton seem to be very equal on pace in the dry (havent seen fp2 in the wet) so that will be interesting. Possibly a fight with the (hugely impressive) Force Indias?

Mercedes race pace does appear to be good, with limited degradation. Fuel load is still an unknown.

http://184.106.145.7.....Lap Times.pdf

#858 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,403 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:46

Race pace doesn't count though, don't forget. :)

#859 rog

rog

• 908 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 13:08

You obviously have not been following Rosberg career in F1. His first 2 seasons were full of mistakes.

Rosberg in the last couple of years is the driver with one of the lowest mistake rate in the whole field. It is very rarely that he made a real mistake. It's one of his biggest strengths. Hamiltons punishment register alone is much bigger. Every punishment was a mistake from Hamilton.

Advertisement

#860 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 13:10

Lol, what pure invention. Nico's history is littered with mistakes. He was on for the win in Singapore for example until he got flustered and overshot the pit exit.

It's Hamilton who delivers when the pressure is on - Brazil qualy 2007, Brazil 2008, Spa 2008...

There was nothing in GlenP's post that called for you to bash Rosberg. His career is not 'littered' with mistakes.

Has Nico ever, oh I don't know, driven clean into the back of a stationary championship rival in the pit lane? No. Well, obviously he's a much better driver than Hamilton then.

I'm sorry Lewis fans, but you bring criticism of your man on yourselves sometimes. Nico is a very tidy driver, there is no need to go on the attack now that he happens to be Hamilton's team mate. I'm sure that if Lewis saw some of the rubbish that is spouted on his behalf (they have different backgrounds, the bigger heart will win in the end - wtf?) he'd be embarrased.

OT - Way too early to call who will do better in Malaysia based on practise. Nico looked great in Q1 and Q2 in Melbourne, but when crunch time came it was Lewis who got the better job done. My money would be on Lewis once again pulling out the times when it really matters, rather than just when it looks impressive, and being ahead this weekend. I also think a lot of his fans are over estimating how well the Merc will go around here, but thats for another thread.

#861 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,403 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 13:33

It is not pleasant, not to mention against the forum rules, to make personal attacks. Especially since just passing off accurate observations as "stupid" is actually a really stupid thing to say. Lewis' judgment has improved since 2011, definitely, so let's just see if that phase of his career is over. He was still not immune from silly things in 2012 however...

#862 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,469 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 13:46

Has Nico ever, oh I don't know, driven clean into the back of a stationary championship rival in the pit lane? No. Well, obviously he's a much better driver than Hamilton then.

Erm, yes. In the same incident. OK he wasn't fighting for the championship, but maybe not the best example to choose.

#863 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 13:49

There was nothing in GlenP's post that called for you to bash Rosberg. His career is not 'littered' with mistakes.

There's no basis for anyone to claim Rosberg is stronger in the head or makes fewer mistakes than Hamilton. Lots of people can recite Lewis' incidents from memory (and some do before they go to bed every night by the look of it) but Rosberg has made plenty.

Funny you should mention Canada 2010, actually, because Rosberg made exactly the same mistake :stoned: . (edit as PAYR says)

Many people forget that, you are not alone. Tells us something though...

Edited by undersquare, 22 March 2013 - 13:52.

#864 stanga

stanga

• 1,124 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 13:56

It is not pleasant, not to mention against the forum rules, to make personal attacks. Especially since just passing off accurate observations as "stupid" is actually a really stupid thing to say. Lewis' judgment has improved since 2011, definitely, so let's just see if that phase of his career is over. He was still not immune from silly things in 2012 however...

I think what people object to, something I find particularly inane, is how Lewis is held up to a different standard of scrutiny than other drivers. Take yourself as an example. You clinically dissect every little aspect of Hamilton's character, yet did you pass comment when Vettel dropped the 'F-bomb' on a global television audience?

How critical were you of Sutil in his 'glassing' incident? And will you look at that, you actually took the time to find fault with Hamilton! :rolleyes:

Stick that in your book of 'accurate observations'.

#865 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,403 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 14:31

I think what people object to, something I find particularly inane, is how Lewis is held up to a different standard of scrutiny than other drivers. Take yourself as an example. You clinically dissect every little aspect of Hamilton's character, yet did you pass comment when Vettel dropped the 'F-bomb' on a global television audience?

How critical were you of Sutil in his 'glassing' incident? And will you look at that, you actually took the time to find fault with Hamilton! :rolleyes:

Stick that in your book of 'accurate observations'.

I guess you missed this bit:

…Fair enough, some of that might just be because Ham is in the media and on the forums more than most drivers and so we hear the stories more…

Every driver is going to make a boo-boo every now and then - it's a question of number, even taking into account the above. Like I already said, Ham is improving in this sense, but he's got a long way to go.

What fault are you saying that I'm finding with Hamilton? All I've said is that Nico has a more calm, unshakable demeanour in my opinion - is that so controversial?

#866 skid solo

skid solo

• 2,216 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 14:43

I Can't believe you guys are wasting your time debating who's fastest when it's clear they are just cruising around trying to hit their delta.
No driver is as inconsistent lap to lap as the times shown in practice for these two. They are sometimes 1 second faster or slower from one lap to the next. These drivers can usually lap consistently within two tenths from one lap to the next..

#867 Bartonz20let

Bartonz20let

• 837 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 14:53

Funny how much time you spend rflol-ing at your own 'jokes'. Hilarious.

The haters follow Hamilton and troll for attention wherever they can. People rise to that. Ad infinitum. I can't stand Button, but I don't find myself in the Button vs Perez thread, attention seeking with troll after troll.

Funny how many 'long term rosberg admirers' have crawled out of the woodwork since Lewis joined Merc, reminds me of how Jenson went from playboy bad boy to F1 poster boy after joining up with Hamilton.

As a LH fan I've always liked Jenson from before Lewis was in F1(love his comment about kimi and thinking this week - funny) but these same 'fans' seem to have mutated into Rosberg fans and all it does is paint Rosberg in a bad light with LH fans.

I ain't gonna bite, wishing both Merc drivers well this weekend, if nico beats Lewis fair play. Shame the trolls can't let it go, Jenson v Lewis is over so deal with it.

#868 bub

bub

• 2,535 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 15:00

Every driver is going to make a boo-boo every now and then - it's a question of number, even taking into account the above. Like I already said, Ham is improving in this sense, but he's got a long way to go.

Has he really? He was one of the best performing drivers last year.

#869 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,580 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 15:13

Posts removed. Please stay with Hamilton vs Rosberg.

#870 IC225

IC225

• 8 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 17:34

Until the seaon is over or there is a clear winner in term of points - its all speculation, ultimately you only get points when you finish races and not for practice, qualifying or where you were when the car broke down during the race.

#871 mlsnoopy

mlsnoopy

• 2,356 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 17:39

Hm. Didn't Rosberg ran into the back of Hamilton in the same incident. How quickly do we forget. But as he wasn't fainting for the WDC its ok. Right.

#872 mlsnoopy

mlsnoopy

• 2,356 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 17:41

What fault are you saying that I'm finding with Hamilton? All I've said is that Nico has a more calm, unshakable demeanour in my opinion - is that so controversial?

Bahrain last year is a nice example of Rosberg driving like a maniac, but for you it was probably Hamilton's fault.

#873 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,210 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 17:58

I'm no fan of Nico; I personally thought he came across as a bit of a smug git at times in the past. However, I will happy admit that Hamilton has his hands full here, Nico is no slouch and the way he handled Michael Schumacher (albeit a faded washed up Schumacher) showed that despite being a 'no2' driver in many ways he could put it all to one side and seriously raise his game and be very sharp.

#874 mkoscevic

mkoscevic

• 655 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 19:43

However, I will happy admit that Hamilton has his hands full here, Nico is no slouch and the way he handled Michael Schumacher (albeit a faded washed up Schumacher) showed that despite being a 'no2' driver in many ways he could put it all to one side and seriously raise his game and be very sharp.

... for a fraction of the cost. :D

#875 Masenco

Masenco

• 819 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 19:55

I'm no fan of Nico; I personally thought he came across as a bit of a smug git at times in the past. However, I will happy admit that Hamilton has his hands full here, Nico is no slouch and the way he handled Michael Schumacher (albeit a faded washed up Schumacher) showed that despite being a 'no2' driver in many ways he could put it all to one side and seriously raise his game and be very sharp.

I've always thought Nico to be a really nice guy, but maybe I haven't seen some of the interviews you may have which caused you to see him that way.

#876 PurpleHam

PurpleHam

• 562 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 20:04

Throughout the last few seasons, I've seen Rosberg fold under pressure on several occasions in Quali, I've built a picture of him being a bit of a bottler.

He will find it no more easy to beat Hamilton in Qualifying as Button did, on a dry track I can't see him beating him, but that would be true of any driver on the grid.

If Hamilton can avoid having the rotten luck he had at Mclaren which made Button look better than he was, then Rosberg will not beat him over a course of a season, no chance.

#877 surbjits

surbjits

• 503 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 20:08

He will find it no more easy to beat Hamilton in Qualifying as Button did, on a dry track I can't see him beating him, but that would be true of any driver on the grid.

This is becoming ridiculous now :lol:

#878 PurpleHam

PurpleHam

• 562 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 20:20

This is becoming ridiculous now :lol:

I'll place a bet of a ratio of 17-2 for the season in Quali...over one lap they don't call him PurpleHam for nothing :)

#879 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,650 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 20:28

I've never heard anybody call him PurpleHam before.

Advertisement

#880 Bartonz20let

Bartonz20let

• 837 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 20:31

Nicole's special name for him ;)

#881 PurpleHam

PurpleHam

• 562 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 20:32

You have now...catchy aint it  ;)

#882 Bartonz20let

Bartonz20let

• 837 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 20:35

You have now...catchy aint it ;)

Gives me an uneasy feeling in my stomach? :wave:

Edited by Bartonz20let, 22 March 2013 - 20:36.

#883 tomboyracer

tomboyracer

• 106 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 20:37

Well this is awkward.

0:10

Edited by tomboyracer, 22 March 2013 - 20:38.

#884 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,683 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 21:03

Throughout the last few seasons, I've seen Rosberg fold under pressure on several occasions in Quali, I've built a picture of him being a bit of a bottler.

If Hamilton can avoid having the rotten luck he had at Mclaren which made Button look better than he was, then Rosberg will not beat him over a course of a season, no chance.

It only really matters if your hung up on the bragging rights as there are no points scored for being really quick over one lap.

#885 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 21:07

Well this is awkward.

0:10

Mercedes has certainly hired two real 'winners' with this lot. Good luck to them!

They were a complete embarrassment that day!

Edited by halifaxf1fan, 23 March 2013 - 04:06.

#886 Bartonz20let

Bartonz20let

• 837 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 21:10

Mercedes has certainly hired two real 'winners' with this lot. Good luck to them!

Well yeh, a WDC and a proven F1 race winner, 2 of the best drivers on the planet, I agree with you, excellent driver line up.

#887 PurpleHam

PurpleHam

• 562 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 21:20

It only really matters if your hung up on the bragging rights as there are no points scored for being really quick over one lap.

I reckon if the tyres allowed it then Hamilton could be the fastest over the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th laps aswell, as he proved when he raced on Bridgestones.

#888 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,683 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 21:42

I reckon if the tyres allowed it then Hamilton could be the fastest over the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th laps aswell, as he proved when he raced on Bridgestones.

They have to perform with the equipment at their disposal.

#889 inca_roads

inca_roads

• 1,447 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 21:58

Hamilton is also mighty in races. So being heavily out-qualfied by him means you're going to have to be better than him in most races just to get even, given your starting disadvantage. And I don't think anybody is likely to be able to do that. Qualifying ahead more often gives a better chance, so it's not completely irrelevant.

#890 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,683 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 22:02

Hamilton is also mighty in races. So being heavily out-qualfied by him means you're going to have to be better than him in most races just to get even, given your starting disadvantage. And I don't think anybody is likely to be able to do that. Qualifying ahead more often gives a better chance, so it's not completely irrelevant.

Racing doesn't always work out that way.

#891 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,819 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 22:10

+1

#892 emburmak

emburmak

• 2,353 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 22:16

Racing doesn't always work out that way.

Not always, but mostly. A driver is more likely to finish ahead of his teammate if he qualifies ahead of him. I also disagree with those who say quali is of little import because its give no points. It is one of the major stat of F1. Ask Senna et al :cool:

Edited by emburmak, 22 March 2013 - 22:17.

#893 garoidb

garoidb

• 4,083 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 22:23

Not always, but mostly. A driver is more likely to finish ahead of his teammate if he qualifies ahead of him. I alos disagree with those who say quali is of little import because its give no points. It is one of the major stat of F1. Ask Senna et al :cool:

Qualifying one or two places ahead of your rival (team-mate or otherwise) does not the confer the same advantage that it did five years ago. If the difference is more than one row, then yes, it could make a difference. The value of qualifying is only to confer an advantage for the race. It is not an end in itself, and never has been.

#894 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,540 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 22:36

This is going to be one of the most interesting battles this year. Nico will keep Lewis honest I think, and it's maybe motivating for him to have a competitive teammate first time in a long time. I think it's a little bit like R.Schumacher and Montoya in the Williams, but less hate in between.

#895 Hairy

Hairy

• 299 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 22:36

For me, traditionally, Qualifying is the true measure of man and machine; you could measure who had stones, and who not, through qualifying.

I remember Mansell being almost 2 seconds in front of his team mate in Qualifying.

Qualifying is where, imo, you see who is who in F1, and it is why I love to watch it,

Not too sure this season with the Pirellis mind...

#896 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:35

Pirelli's are the same for everyone, so they show who's got the best tyre saving skills, I guess.

#897 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 4,449 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:52

You're right they are both winners. I'm looking forward to many more wins as well and I can tell you are too! :rolleyes:

#898 Bartonz20let

Bartonz20let

• 837 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:03

Not always, but mostly. A driver is more likely to finish ahead of his teammate if he qualifies ahead of him. I also disagree with those who say quali is of little import because its give no points. It is one of the major stat of F1. Ask Senna et al :cool:

I think Seb might agree too however I do thik this year is a little different.

OT, it's looking like Lewis just has a couple of tenths over nico from what I can see, not a huge margin but its clearly there.

Lewis and Nico looking very happy as team mates, propper little love in on sky with Ross as the 'daddy' almost makes me wana be sick lol

Edited by Bartonz20let, 23 March 2013 - 07:14.

#899 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:41

Tension...

Advertisement

#900 swerved

swerved

• 3,689 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:43

I think Seb might agree too however I do thik this year is a little different.

OT, it's looking like Lewis just has a couple of tenths over nico from what I can see, not a huge margin but its clearly there.

Lewis and Nico looking very happy as team mates, propper little love in on sky with Ross as the 'daddy' almost makes me wana be sick lol

Hulkenberg ?