* * * - - 10 votes

Hamilton Vs Rosberg - 2013 [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3907 replies to this topic

#51 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,667 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:40

You don't have to ram people off the road to be a good defender.

Watch Rosberg vs Hamilton - China 2010. I really wish I could find the video right now.

In the rain, Rosberg out of some 10 drivers was the only one to actually hold a 1-second faster Hamilton back on merit alone. Lewis breezed passed everyone else but couldn't pass Nico on circuit, and had to jump him in the pits instead.

I believe Nico's defense is a bit underrated. Sure, he usually does't defend his position harshly, but when he does he is very hard to overtake.

:up:

I'm very disappointed people don't remember his great defensive maneuver on Hamilton in China. It's probably the most impressive defending I had ever seen in F1. Yet many thinks he is not good defender because Merc's characteristic since 2010 and his great qualifying efforts were putting him along much faster cars in race-trim many times throughout the last 3 years and you just can't put maximum effort to defend from faster cars all the time because this will lead to nothing in terms of result.

I'm also impressed how smart he can be. His battle with Massa in Turkey 2011 or with Button in Korea 2011 are great examples of that.

Edited by Anderis, 12 December 2012 - 12:45.

Advertisement

#52 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,760 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:45

To be honest I see a lot of parallels between the LH v JB years and whats to come with LH v RN, only this time Lewis is joining his teammates team, rather than the other way around. Rosberg is very smart, intelligent guy, good with the media, good with the team, very good with a good car, very good in mix conditions, not one to bin it often... He was very calm about the prospect of MS joining 3 years ago, never lost his cool or composure... seems up for the challenge with Lewis. Basically I think he's very slightly not quite as good as JB, but very similar in a lot of respects.

"Lewis will destroy him"... do people ever learn?!

Who said "Lewis will destroy him" - or something or that extreme? One person?

I said that I think Rosberg will get "tonked" performance wise and gave a reason for it. Is my reason any worse than yours given that neither you or I have a crystal ball?

Edited by Buttoneer, 12 December 2012 - 12:52.
No thanks - "Get over yourself - or bugger off back to the Buttheads vs Lala's thread where you can crack on with the modus operandi."

#53 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:49

To be honest I see a lot of parallels between the LH v JB years and whats to come with LH v RN, only this time Lewis is joining his teammates team, rather than the other way around. Rosberg is very smart, intelligent guy, good with the media, good with the team, very good with a good car, very good in mix conditions, not one to bin it often... He was very calm about the prospect of MS joining 3 years ago, never lost his cool or composure... seems up for the challenge with Lewis. Basically I think he's very slightly not quite as good as JB, but very similar in a lot of respects.

"Lewis will destroy him"... do people ever learn?!

:up: completely agree

One would think the smart thing would be to build-up your driver's teammate in order to take even more pride in it IF your driver beats said teammate.
Writing off Nico will only lead to more silly (lists with) excuses IF Nico matches or beats his teammate next year.

Gonna be interesting next year, for sure :)

#54 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,824 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:59

I said that I think Rosberg will get "tonked" performance wise and gave a reason for it. Is my reason any worse than yours given that neither you or I have a crystal ball?

On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being just ahead and 10 being at opposite ends of the points table, where do 'tonked' and 'destroy' come on the thrashing richter scale?

#55 P123

P123

• 8,493 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 13:00

Meh.

I'm gonna get off the fence and say that Rosberg will get tonked performance wise.

Lewis was operating at another level last year........ His best year so far IMO. With some new found freedom he will potentially (and hopefully) step it up again.

:smoking:

:lol: Gee, thanks for that. You do realise that the usual suspect will now continually present your view as the majority (happening already)and the topic will now be like the JB V LH threads where it was little to do with what was happening on the track and simply a fanboy war.

For the avoidance of doubt for those people, no this Hamilton fan does not expect rosberg to get 'tonked'. It will be close, and may be decided on reliability or the odd quirky result (which is dependant on the Merc being a dog).

#56 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,231 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 13:12

On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being just ahead and 10 being at opposite ends of the points table, where do 'tonked' and 'destroy' come on the thrashing richter scale?

:rotfl:

i'd say 9

#57 TurboF1

TurboF1

• 748 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 13:13

I rate Rosberg ahead of JB generally so as a massive Hamilton fan I think he's in for one of the toughest challenges yet. At the end of the day, Lewis knew generally he had JB in his pocket and that all things being equal he would generally qualify ahead and finish ahead of JB way more often than not. With Nico, I don't think Lewis will have that continued "safety net" per se, and will have to dig deep to consistently beat Nico. I think this is Lewis' sternest challenge since Fernando. One way or the other, I can't wait to see it. Seeing as I'm a fan of both Nico & Lewis, one driver I support will have to lose, but the team overall will win. I actually expect Rosberg to step it up a gear with Lewis as a teammate (again)... He's seen off MS comprehensively over 3 years (granted MS had horrible reliability, esp in 2012) and will have even more incentive to perform at his highest level with Lewis coming in. 2013 will be fascinating, as long as Red Bull isnt miles ahead of everyone else again.

#58 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,760 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 13:16

About a 5.

Put it this way: In football when you get beat 3-1 or something like that you often hear people saying "We got tonked". When you get beat say 5-0 you hear people saying "we got thrashed (read destroyed).

#59 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,760 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 13:21

:lol: Gee, thanks for that. You do realise that the usual suspect will now continually present your view as the majority (happening already)and the topic will now be like the JB V LH threads where it was little to do with what was happening on the track and simply a fanboy war.

For the avoidance of doubt for those people, no this Hamilton fan does not expect rosberg to get 'tonked'. It will be close, and may be decided on reliability or the odd quirky result (which is dependant on the Merc being a dog).

:p

Glad to be of service!

Like I said - Lewis was at another level in the past year - and there is no reason why he won't step it up again. I just think that he has much more latent potential in his tank than Rosberg - and if the car is a dog then I think that he will naturally get more out of it. Naturally there is an element of hope in there too........ but what's the point of sitting on the fence?!

Advertisement

#60 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,824 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 13:22

Which one is 'about a 5', 'tonked' or 'destroyed'? There are two words and I don't think I have ever used 'tonked' so no idea how it relates. I'd say they were the same, just from your usage, and in a 5-0 scenario I'd use 'whitewash' if I could be bothered with football.

edit; it's not sitting on the fence if you think them being about equal is what you believe.

#61 dhill39

dhill39

• 424 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 13:32

Lewis will beat Nico,but it will be close.With Jenson it was 3 tenths over a lap,with Nico,half a second,and they will start next to each other.

#62 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,760 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 13:58

Which one is 'about a 5', 'tonked' or 'destroyed'? There are two words and I don't think I have ever used 'tonked' so no idea how it relates. I'd say they were the same, just from your usage, and in a 5-0 scenario I'd use 'whitewash' if I could be bothered with football.

edit; it's not sitting on the fence if you think them being about equal is what you believe.

Whatever semantics you want to use then. The point I was making is that some may be reluctant, to lets say, give a "convincing win" to Hamilton for the very reason that P123 pointed out - for fear of starting a fanboy war that was rather evident in the JB vs Lewis thread.

No. I don't have a problem with any prediction as long it is not rammed down my throat via lack of reasoning, and conversely my POV is not dismissed as blind fanboyism when I gave a very clear and factual reason why I think that Hamilton will convincingly beat (tonk) Rosberg.

You should have a look at my prediction of JB vs Hamilton way back in 2010 - it's pretty much spot on - and has been commented on as such......... so I'm not a muppet........

#63 stillOrange

stillOrange

• 934 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 14:02

First of all I want clarify where I'm coming from with my opinion:
1. I think Lewis is clearly in a very tight top 3 of drivers on the current grid.
2. I don't really rate Nico that highly. IMO he is somewhere around 10th (maybe even out of top 10) place on current grid.

Because of that I expect Lewis to clearly outperform Nico. Nico will be slightly closer than Kovalainen but not closer than Button. If Rosberg keeps up with Lewis or is closer than Jenson I will change my opinion of Nico (and Schumacher's second career as well) but not of Lewis. If Nico will equal Lewis or beat him, I'm afraid Lewis won't be in my top 3 anymore.

I'm really looking forward to see them race together and against each other :)

#64 SmokeScreen

SmokeScreen

• 185 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 14:37

First of all I want clarify where I'm coming from with my opinion:
1. I think Lewis is clearly in a very tight top 3 of drivers on the current grid.
2. I don't really rate Nico that highly. IMO he is somewhere around 10th (maybe even out of top 10) place on current grid.

Because of that I expect Lewis to clearly outperform Nico. Nico will be slightly closer than Kovalainen but not closer than Button. If Rosberg keeps up with Lewis or is closer than Jenson I will change my opinion of Nico (and Schumacher's second career as well) but not of Lewis. If Nico will equal Lewis or beat him, I'm afraid Lewis won't be in my top 3 anymore.

I'm really looking forward to see them race together and against each other :)

it’s all about the context

if Rosberg’s engineers are taken away from him and he ends up with a half rookie engineer too scared of his own shadow to assert himself then I’m sorry to say HE, Rosberg, will stand NO Chance whatsoever :lol:

However if it is all about the car all other things being equal then

Nightmare car = convincing win for Lewis

Good car= interesting quali & racing between the two but Lewis edging it just on account of his relentless competitiveness (regardless if reflected in points or not – so long as the points loss is due to reliability & no mistakes on his part). When you think about it shows how much faith I have in Lewis the competitor moving to a new team and shaking things up – something he has not done in his F1 career yet – Go get em Lewis.

ironically i think Lewis himself would prefer the last scenario – He rates Nico highly and a good car+competitive teammate = Win for the Team, which is part and parcel of his make-up, rather than the ego driven “Crushing/Pasting” demanded by some driver fans, anti-fans and media.

#65 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 9,152 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 14:59

I'm assuming a tonking is pretty similar to being destroyed.
I don't have a crystal ball, but history shows us that 2 top tier drivers generally don't tonk each other, least of all in the first season when the expected tonkee already has his feat under the table.

#66 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,231 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 15:02

I'm assuming a tonking is pretty similar to being destroyed.
I don't have a crystal ball, but history shows us that 2 top tier drivers generally don't tonk each other, least of all in the first season when the expected tonkee already has his feat under the table.

2005 mclaren JP montoya tonked by Kimi Raikkonen :wave:

Edited by eronrules, 12 December 2012 - 15:03.

#67 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,760 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 15:23

And in terms of performance - Hamilton didn't do a bad impression of tonking JB this year........ Which directly relates to the point I made at the very top of this page.........

Edited by maverick69, 12 December 2012 - 15:40.

#68 gricey1981

gricey1981

• 1,180 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 16:22

I think Hamilton should win.....but Button surprised me a little so you never know.

Rosberg is plenty fast over a lap too. Qualifying should be much more interesting.

I think I agree with him being opposite to JB, although that might have something to do with the crappy mercedes.

Either way should definitely be fun to watch.

#69 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,711 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 17:13

Beautiful. :lol: This thread will will be the zoo of the board next season.

I expect them to be pretty close next season. Odds are, LH will be ahead, but NR has the xtra motivation of having to prove himself in a difficult situation. If he slumps behind LH all season, his value will drop sharply. Its crossroads for him, and as I said before, for Mercedes too. It will be interesting, that is the only thing I am sure about.

#70 man

man

• 1,302 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 17:45

I think Hamilton's arrival will be a bit of an eye opener for the management at Merc. I think it will bring into question what Merc has been missing for the past 3 years I.e. a top driver who can make the difference. I also think if Merc allow Ham to feel at ease, Hamilton will probably take his driving up a level further. Rosberg will fall into the number 2 driver mould fairly quickly.

#71 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 9,152 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 17:52

Very clever, now just go back and look at the part of my sentence you didn't highlight on purpose, in order to counteract the opposite of the point I made. The point I made being it is especially difficult to dominate a top driver who is already ensconced in a team when you join it. Reason being they already have a working rapport with the engineers, who know what they want in a car and have influenced the next seasons car, etc. It is always harder to come in and beat than beat an arrival. Your example is the opposite of that, you'll find. Part of the advantage Hamilton had in 2010 that wasn't recognised, I bet Rosbergs will be in 2013...

#72 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 9,152 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 17:52

Very clever, now just go back and look at the part of my sentence you didn't highlight on purpose, in order to counteract the opposite of the point I made. The point I made being it is especially difficult to dominate a top driver who is already ensconced in a team when you join it. Reason being they already have a working rapport with the engineers, who know what they want in a car and have influenced the next seasons car, etc. It is always harder to come in and beat than beat an arrival. Your example is the opposite of that, you'll find. Part of the advantage Hamilton had in 2010 that wasn't recognised, I bet Rosbergs will be in 2013...

#73 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,291 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 18:47

Lewis will beat Nico,but it will be close.With Jenson it was 3 tenths over a lap,with Nico,half a second,and they will start next to each other.

Well actually we get to see how good LH really is in quali.... JB was not any real competition and HK was often on higher fuel ... and quali was not FA's forte either. This is his first team mate in F1 to be more highly regarded for quali than for anything else.

#74 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,231 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 18:54

Well actually we get to see how good LH really is in quali.... JB was not any real competition and HK was often on higher fuel ... and quali was not FA's forte either. This is his first team mate in F1 to be more highly regarded for quali than for anything else.

where were you since 2007?? LH was good at quali against the so called GOD FA, beaten JB hands down and HK doesn't even count as a competitor. but more importantly, hamilton is the only driver to have challenged Red Bull since 2010 with a car that's not so good. no other team even came close to him . As a qualifier, he's currently joint best with SV.

#75 P123

P123

• 8,493 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 19:01

:rotfl: What the hell has this topic become already? Pedants drowning the board attacking one person's use of the word 'tonked' because they need a full blown definition, and several others telling us what will be said by whom if x, y or z happens as if they aren't guilty of the same approach themselves. So, is it to be a fanboy war, or is it going to actually discuss the drivers rather than some pre-emptive attacks on fans? I guess the 'debate' shows us there isn't anything to discuss yet. Apart fro mthe importance of the word 'tonked'.  ;)

#76 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,291 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 19:01

where were you since 2007?? LH was good at quali against the so called GOD FA, beaten JB hands down and HK doesn't even count as a competitor. but more importantly, hamilton is the only driver to have challenged Red Bull since 2010 with a car that's not so good. no other team even came close to him . As a qualifier, he's currently joint best with SV.

For sure he has improved over the years .... but I am still not sure how good he really is.

Which is not to say that he is not good or even not very good but I cant judge how good he is based on JB and an oft over fueled HK so now I finally have a chance to form a good assessment of whether he really is that good now.

#77 Paco

Paco

• 1,215 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 19:02

Personally, I think Nico peaked in 2011 and has only been getting worse. Maybe the added inspiration of competeing against Lewis will give him the extra spark but even a win didn't do that so I doubt it.

Hamilton has been driving his best and doesn't seem to be slowing at all and highly motivated still. I don't think its going to be much of contest.

I expect Lewis to win in the qualifying 60/40 but races, 75/25..

#78 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 19:05

Personally, I think Nico peaked in 2011 and has only been getting worse. Maybe the added inspiration of competeing against Lewis will give him the extra spark but even a win didn't do that so I doubt it.

It's hard for anyone to shine in that tractor named the WO3.

#79 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,231 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 19:07

Hamilton has been driving his best and doesn't seem to be slowing at all and highly motivated still. I don't think its going to be much of contest.

i think it's called 'KOVALAINEN Syndrome', it happens when a good and experienced driver moves to a team that continuously fails to improve and thus the driver looses interest/focus and performs worse than expected (i.e beaten by Petrov).

Edited by eronrules, 12 December 2012 - 19:07.

Advertisement

#80 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,760 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 19:27

:rotfl: What the hell has this topic become already? Pedants drowning the board attacking one person's use of the word 'tonked' because they need a full blown definition, and several others telling us what will be said by whom if x, y or z happens as if they aren't guilty of the same approach themselves. So, is it to be a fanboy war, or is it going to actually discuss the drivers rather than some pre-emptive attacks on fans? I guess the 'debate' shows us there isn't anything to discuss yet. Apart fro mthe importance of the word 'tonked'. ;)

:lol:

#81 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,231 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 19:32

From urban dictionary link

1. Tonked
To be soundly beaten, especially in sports.

Man City got tonked by Chelsea last night! 4-0? Ouch!

2. Tonked

well built, muscly etc.. hench
dat bre is bare tonked

3. Tonked

Tonked or Tonqued / tongkId/ adj & adv 1. lit. a state of exceeding inebriation 2. alcohol induced debauchery or utter desiccation of common morality 3. the process of achieving inebriation usually through whisky choice deferred by one to another

that should settle it. :cool:

#82 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,760 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 19:54

From urban dictionary link

that should settle it. :cool:

:lol:

Loving your work!

#83 Paco

Paco

• 1,215 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 20:09

#84 TF110

TF110

• 943 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 20:49

You going to say it a third time? Third time's a charm, huh? Nico has done fine for that W03 hes driving. MS hasn't faired any better. The W04 will be like Hamilton's 2009 McLaren IMO. Hopefully better by some margin relative to 2013s cars.

#85 rasul

rasul

• 955 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 20:52

I think Lewis will be better, but not by much.

#86 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 21:28

The views of Dino Chiesa - team boss of MBM.com karting - on Hamilton and Rosberg as team mates in 2000:

"That was the outstanding thing about him (Hamilton), he was very fast, but then so was Nico. He was a clever driver - but so was Nico. They could both use their brain well. For example, both were very good at preserving the tyres. You'd see in the heats they'd be among the fastest or if they were fastest it was only by a tenth. Then in the final suddenly they were fastest by 0.3 seconds or more, because they had conserved the tyres in the heats. But if there was one thing separating why it was Lewis who finished first and Nico who was runner-up in the championship, it was Lewis's fighting attitude. With him it was always all or nothing - he would take risks to win, risks that could mean he wouldn't finish, whereas Nico would always have an eye on finishing the race."

http://www.amazon.co...e...7690&sr=8-1

#87 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 23:16

"That was the outstanding thing about him (Hamilton), he was very fast, but then so was Nico. He was a clever driver - but so was Nico. They could both use their brain well. For example, both were very good at preserving the tyres. You'd see in the heats they'd be among the fastest or if they were fastest it was only by a tenth. Then in the final suddenly they were fastest by 0.3 seconds or more, because they had conserved the tyres in the heats. But if there was one thing separating why it was Lewis who finished first and Nico who was runner-up in the championship, it was Lewis's fighting attitude. With him it was always all or nothing - he would take risks to win, risks that could mean he wouldn't finish, whereas Nico would always have an eye on finishing the race."

Very interesting. Good read.

#88 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,260 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 00:06

I'm glad we're finally going to solve the Nico Rosberg mystery this year. He's been around forever and we still don't really know whether he's top shelf or second tier but still very good (I'd be surprised if he was worse than that).

#89 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,231 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 00:11

The views of Dino Chiesa - team boss of MBM.com karting - on Hamilton and Rosberg as team mates in 2000:

:up: nice info.

I'm glad we're finally going to solve the Nico Rosberg mystery this year. He's been around forever and we still don't really know whether he's top shelf or second tier but still very good (I'd be surprised if he was worse than that).

:up: This is my feeling too. two almost equal entities duking it out should distract us from the short-comings of the Car. also another interesting thing will be roll played by Ross brawn, Haug and Lauda. Haug will want a german to lead the team no doubt, but lauda seems taken by Lewis, ross will have make decision on Track and decide who's he gonna favor.

#90 teejay

teejay

• 3,710 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 00:47

My main hope is that Merc gives them the car to fight with.

Given that, I think Lewis will be ahead by seasons end.

#91 bauss

bauss

• 5,067 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 00:52

I expect LH to do better...qualy pace and race pace overall but I'm not sure to what degree as Rosberg still has a bit of a question mark as to just how good he is...

It would be nice to finally see that

Edited by bauss, 13 December 2012 - 00:53.

#92 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,484 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:54

I've been a pretty big supporter of rosberg and said many times he is not rated highly enough, but I am feeling less secure in that these days. Hopefully he proves me wrong and gives lewis a good challenge but to be honest I can't see him being anywhere near as long as hammys head is right.

I really do have a suspision rosberg is going to get found out in a bad way now, but at this point in time it's obviously only a guess. Hammy is proven material and rosberg not quite yet. Simple as that for me really.

Going to be great to watch - thank you lewis for shaking up the seats!!

#93 dhill39

dhill39

• 424 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:29

That very interesting,that sums up Lewis to a tee,even in F1,but I think he learn something from jenson in 2011 that you have to finish first,Jenson was getting all the acclaim for just driving around collecting points. I think he has change from that all out attack.

#94 Juggles

Juggles

• 896 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:20

That very interesting,that sums up Lewis to a tee,even in F1,but I think he learn something from jenson in 2011 that you have to finish first,Jenson was getting all the acclaim for just driving around collecting points. I think he has change from that all out attack.

I think that has less to do with Button than it does the Pirelli tyres. In 07, 08 and 09 Hamilton was in permanent attack mode because the regulations allowed him to be, and during that time he established himself as the most consistently exciting driver on the grid. He also made contact very rarely during that period. Look how happy he was after India this season despite finishing fourth for an indication of how painful it is to have to rein himself in as much as he had to for most of 2011 and 2012. The all out attack Hamilton will return as soon as the sport allows it to.

#95 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,465 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:43

If you'd asked me in 2007 or even 2009-10 whether Nico would put up a good fight against Lewis, I'd have said yes. Now I'm not so sure. This year was disappointing from Nico. He seemed to let Schumacher gain the upper hand.

I hope that Nico and Lewis prove to be a close pairing and they'll have a great battle next year. I actually hope Nico has the upper hand at first, so as Lewis gets used to his new team he'll then catch up. If Lewis is well ahead right of the bat, Nico will have to really dig deep.

#96 robefc

robefc

• 8,065 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:52

I expect on any given weekend for lewis to be ahead in quali and to finish ahead in the race...

So that should translate to a pretty healthy advantage in the WDC table, however, the last 3 years has taught me F1 is not that simple!

#97 dhill39

dhill39

• 424 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:59

I think that has less to do with Button than it does the Pirelli tyres. In 07, 08 and 09 Hamilton was in permanent attack mode because the regulations allowed him to be, and during that time he established himself as the most consistently exciting driver on the grid. He also made contact very rarely during that period. Look how happy he was after India this season despite finishing fourth for an indication of how painful it is to have to rein himself in as much as he had to for most of 2011 and 2012. The all out attack Hamilton will return as soon as the sport allows it to.

The tires did play a role in him slowing down,but I think watching Jenson just cruising and collecting points,look how much praise jenson got for beating Lewis,so I think learn from that.

#98 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,849 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:10

This has all of the ingredients to be the best inter-team battle on the grid next season, although like a few others I have my reservations or doubts about Nico's level of performance. He's definitely one that lets the pressure gets to him, he had great chances at victory both at Singapore 2009 when he crossed the pit lane exit, incurring a drive through, and in China 2010 when he went off the track while leading, allowing Button to get in his slip stream and overtake him. This was also further confirmed this season during qualifying in Aus and Mal, where despite Mercedes being fast, he choked and made mistakes on his final Q3 laps, and while he won from pole position in China, that was only when the conditions truly suited the car and him and Mercedes had the advantage. Furthermore his only really convincing display against Schumacher was in 2010, when the latter was still getting to grips with the new regulations. In 2011 he shaded Shcumie but Schumacher had the more standout performances, and in 2012 I am of the belief that Schumacher actually outperformed him, and was, barring the Senna/Vergne instances, actually the more consistent performer.

In short I don't think Nico is quite as good as has been made out and while I think it will be close, I do think Lewis will come out on top, starting from the first race.

#99 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:14

Button: Hamiltons speed will surprise rosberg.

Advertisement

#100 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:56

The tires did play a role in him slowing down,but I think watching Jenson just cruising and collecting points,look how much praise jenson got for beating Lewis,so I think learn from that.

Disagree, it took the most utterly perverse turn of circumstances for JB to finish anywhere near Hamilton in 2012, and yet still Hamilton pipped him. Lewis will know in his own mind he trounced JB this year, I expect him to continue in the same vein but just hope extra hard that his car doesn't give up on him or the team don't cock it up in just about every conceivable way for him.