* * * - - 10 votes

Hamilton Vs Rosberg - 2013 [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3907 replies to this topic

#101 dhill39

dhill39

• 424 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 13:42

Disagree, it took the most utterly perverse turn of circumstances for JB to finish anywhere near Hamilton in 2012, and yet still Hamilton pipped him. Lewis will know in his own mind he trounced JB this year, I expect him to continue in the same vein but just hope extra hard that his car doesn't give up on him or the team don't cock it up in just about every conceivable way for him.

Lewis did beat him this year,but I was talking about 2011.

Advertisement

#102 bub

bub

• 2,518 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 14:12

I think it will be similar to LH vs JB. Close between them, with Hamilton a bit better. I expect this to be Hamilton toughest test since Alonso.

#103 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,600 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 14:25

Disagree, it took the most utterly perverse turn of circumstances for JB to finish anywhere near Hamilton in 2012, and yet still Hamilton pipped him. Lewis will know in his own mind he trounced JB this year, I expect him to continue in the same vein but just hope extra hard that his car doesn't give up on him or the team don't cock it up in just about every conceivable way for him.

It took an utterly perverse tyre construction to allow that to happen.

#104 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 14:51

It took an utterly perverse tyre construction to allow that to happen.

Yeah, that only one driver struggled so badly with.

#105 Burtros

Burtros

• 1,034 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 15:03

you have to favour Hamilton, I think Rosberg will be closer than hes been used to in Qualy than any other team mate hes had before.

In the races, Rosberg will need to up his game a lot I think.

Lewis should win this battle, but in a similar way to the one he had with Button, it wont be totally clear cut nor will it be plain sailing for him to win it.

#106 inca_roads

inca_roads

• 1,445 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 15:05

I rate Rosberg quite highly - I think he'll be possibly more of a challenge to Lewis than Jenson was, in fact.

Should be a great partnership though. I don't expect the maximum from Lewis for the first three races or so, as it's a new car for him, but overall, hopefully he can at least get a win somewhere in 2013, to keep his run going.

#107 robefc

robefc

• 8,087 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 15:36

I think it will be similar to LH vs JB. Close between them, with Hamilton a bit better. I expect this to be Hamilton toughest test since Alonso.

So you rate Rosberg higher than JB or is this to do with Lewis changing teams?

#108 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 15:42

I think Rosberg beating Schumacher 3 years running has got to make Lewis fans including my self that this isn't going to be an easy ride.

#109 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,302 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 17:11

Hilarious 2008 interview - LH and NR together

#110 bub

bub

• 2,518 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 17:11

So you rate Rosberg higher than JB or is this to do with Lewis changing teams?

I rate Rosberg and Button about equal with different attributes. A combination of things make me think Rosberg will be an even tougher challenge for Hamilton. Nico being more familiar with the team, being closer in qualifying and not struggling so much with balance, tyres etc. Lewis won't have some of the advantages he had over Jenson.

#111 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 17:13

Hilarious 2008 interview - LH and NR together

Shame i cant hear the English and my German is very limited...

#112 MinT

MinT

• 2,083 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 20:11

Yeah, that only one driver struggled so badly with.

I think actually a number of drivers/teams struggled with it - but I guess that is for another thread.

I also suppose if you are a Hami fan then playing down his likely advantage this time around - is this boards equivalent of backing all the horses. Hami wins easily = look he is the true God afterall

He just about wins = Told you Rosberg was the real deal

Rosberg wins = Told you Rosberg was the real deal and its Hamis first year in a new team etc etc etc

Cant wait to find out what happens.

#113 bub

bub

• 2,518 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 20:39

I also suppose if you are a Hami fan then playing down his likely advantage this time around - is this boards equivalent of backing all the horses.

They should underestimate Rosberg like some did JB? Or overestimate Hami as TDG?

#114 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 641 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 20:14

Anybody have any idea who gets what car number and roll hoop color? I'm guessing lower # for Lewis because of '12 points totals.
I'm pretty sure he doesn't "need" the lower # because of lucky superstition like some egomaniacs.
Gonna be a good test across the board over at Merc. Nico will finally have a consistant baseline to judge from.
Lewis should be able to show Merc and Nico what the cars limit is.

#115 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,468 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 20:18

The entry list shows Nico 9 and Lewis 10.

However the official entry lists have changed in the past. We'll have to wait for the launch.

#116 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,743 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 20:23

The entry list shows Nico 9 and Lewis 10.

However the official entry lists have changed in the past. We'll have to wait for the launch.

I don't think that will change.

Edited by Szoelloe, 20 December 2012 - 21:18.

#117 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

• 1,227 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 21:33

I roughly agree with what Buttoneer says. I'm OK with both of them.

My thoughts....

1. Mercedes needs a decent aero guy or the whole discussion is moot
2. I don't think I ever seen Nico compared to a genuine superstar IN HIS PRIME. Schumi was great but was frankly past it when they were together. Webber beat him large when they were together. And the past few years have shown that while Webber is good he isn't F1 WDC winning unless everything were to fall his way and Seb fell out of bed and broke his leg.
3. In a very broad analog it is a bit like Senna v Prost, mad fast racer vs technician/tactician. Lewis will win Saturday comfortably prolly 2:1. It will be a lot closer on Sundays esp if its mixed conditions. While Lewis has car control to burn I don't think Nico gets that much credit for his tactical driving, like BUttoneer says he knows when to play dead and when to race.

Should be a good combo, I think Lewis will just shade him over they year for points but it'll be close.

Slightly OT I think McLaren will miss having an absolute hotshoe qualifier next year.

#118 Rybo

Rybo

• 365 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 22:53

I don't see NR bettering LH, but I don't think LH will walk away unless there are massive technical failures. However if that is the case it can go either way. Hopefully the w04 will be reliable and quick enough for us to truly measure NR

#119 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 5,285 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:49

I think Rosberg will have the measure of Hamilton this season. No idea why.

Advertisement

#120 bauss

bauss

• 5,067 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:58

this Rosberg interview on f1.com sounds pretty damn positive, even for Rosberg
http://www.formula1....13/2/14284.html

not impossible... but the feeling is probably from faster testtimes from NR and from one being excited talking about possibly winning races and the other saying he will just be happy to get in the points consistently this season.

The truth will soon be revealed about what is possible...but obviously the Ham I know won't be happy with just points if his teammate is podiuming.

In any case, it should be a good healthy fight. I do sense Rosberg will be a pretty strong competitor if the W04 is a decent car.

Edited by bauss, 24 February 2013 - 10:58.

#121 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,818 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:07

I think Hamilton is keeping quite a bit in his pocket - being a touch crafty if you know what I mean........

#122 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,302 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:36

The forumer who was at the track last week - who was giving some decent reports - said the car looked more composed in NR's hands .... I put more stock in that sort of report than lap times.

... still early days though.

#123 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,437 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:39

The forumer who was at the track last week - who was giving some decent reports - said the car looked more composed in NR's hands .... I put more stock in that sort of report than lap times.

... still early days though.

I don't think a car ever look composed in Hamilton's hands :)

#124 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,302 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:43

I don't think a car ever look composed in Hamilton's hands :)

You know what I mean ... the guy may drive in a ragged way (esp in testing) but he always looks like he has it under control - even with the backend wagging all over the place .... work permiting, I'm hoping to go see for myself later this week.

Edited by jjcale, 24 February 2013 - 11:43.

#125 bauss

bauss

• 5,067 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:17

You know what I mean ... the guy may drive in a ragged way (esp in testing) but he always looks like he has it under control - even with the backend wagging all over the place .... work permiting, I'm hoping to go see for myself later this week.

I don't think we can put any stock in judging his relative speed by how the car looks when LH is driving, testing or practice :) ....he tends to look to be on his own program of finding personal limits b4 settling down in qualy n more in the race.

#126 malibu

malibu

• 204 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:46

Hamilton is an outstanding driver.
Don't forget he beat alonso on the same car.
Hamilton has everything : great quali pace, outstanding race pace, great overtaking skills...

In the other hand, i believe the same for Rosberg. He is a killer. He is with no doubt a top driver. He can be bloody quick on quali, have an outstanding speed in race pace, very efficient in overtaking, extremely low rate of mistakes...

This is certainly the best driver line up in the grid. Rosberg should not be underestimated. It will be very interesting to see those two drivers fighting in the w04.

Edited by malibu, 25 February 2013 - 10:36.

#127 eoin

eoin

• 5,010 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 13:01

I think we all have heard enough from Rosberg over the last few years to take everything positive he says with a bucket of salt.

Having said that if the tyres do turn out to be easier to understand then that alone should be a massive boost to Mercedes as they are one of weakest teams on the grid when it comes to understanding how to get the best out of the tyres. However it's probably a little early to start talking about understanding the tyres as they will be facing very different conditions on race weekends than they have in the last month.

#128 femi

femi

• 6,402 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 13:01

not impossible... but the feeling is probably from faster testtimes from NR and from one being excited talking about possibly winning races and the other saying he will just be happy to get in the points consistently this season.

The truth will soon be revealed about what is possible...but obviously the Ham I know won't be happy with just points if his teammate is podiuming.

In any case, it should be a good healthy fight. I do sense Rosberg will be a pretty strong competitor if the W04 is a decent car.

The difference is Rosberg reference is last year' car. The W04 is better that the 03 so he is happy. LH reference is MP4-27. He knows he can't do with the W04 what he could do in the 27. So the 2 of them are speaking from different perspectives.

I have no doubt LH will top Rosberg if not all the time then most of the time.

Edited by femi, 24 February 2013 - 13:04.

#129 Lamag

Lamag

• 1,086 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 13:34

Rosberg was known to run some very light qualifying laps on Fridays when he was at Williams, usually topping the Friday time sheets. While other teams held back and ran heavier on Fridays, even on their qualy runs.

Maybe he has continued with that practice. Nothing wrong with it though, except that it can be deceiving.

That was during the 2009 season only, and it was the program that Sam Michael wanted to follow. Even Nakajima was on that program too. It wasnt like Rosberg doing low fuel runs by his own.

BTW, this is not a Rosberg V Hamilton topic, lets stay focus on the car.

Edited by Lamag, 24 February 2013 - 13:39.

#130 ruby soho

ruby soho

• 478 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 17:07

I got a feeling as well that Rosberg will be ahead of Hamilton this season. No idea why though, maybe because Rosberg is yet to prove himself.

#131 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 17:16

I got a feeling as well that Rosberg will be ahead of Hamilton this season. No idea why though, maybe because Rosberg is yet to prove himself.

it will most certainly be a fascinating battle nonetheless

#132 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 17:21

Perhaps trying to take on Rosberg in the first season at teammates is to much to expect. Hamilton may be best served by setting his goals to be at least on par with the driver he has replaced, Schumacher, in year 1. If he does better, then that would be great. If he is on par with MS's performance, then he can say he was able to match a seven time wdc.

I will be interesting to see how LH adapts to the W04.

#133 Rasputin

Rasputin

• 291 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 17:36

For the last spot in Q3 perhaps, but not much more I'm afraid.

#134 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,626 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 17:42

I'd be pretty shocked if Rosberg beats Lewis this season. Its not like Lewis was ever the sort that needed time to get up to speed.

#135 ruby soho

ruby soho

• 478 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 17:46

Yeah! Probably the most interesting pairing; both are fast and quite outspoken. It should be entertaining.

#136 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 3,025 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 17:51

Perhaps trying to take on Rosberg in the first season at teammates is to much to expect. Hamilton may be best served by setting his goals to be at least on par with the driver he has replaced, Schumacher, in year 1. If he does better, then that would be great. If he is on par with MS's performance, then he can say he was able to match a seven time wdc.

Lewis, from his fans called the best of his generation, pure speed, great adaptability should only match a Rosberg, to be on pair with a former seven times world champion?. Of course this proves he was good as Schumacher the last years, furthermore it would prove he is never near the class of prime Schumacher, and this must be a huge disappointment for a fan. If he wants to be seen as all time great, he needs to beat Rosberg. I think he will, but to match him, can't be a serious goal at his first season, I would be disappointed if he loses against Rosberg

#137 oligc94

oligc94

• 520 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 17:55

It's really not. Rosberg, despite his obvious talent, is a one-time race winner who has never raced against a WDC at the peak of their powers. Hamilton is a WDC, has 21 wins and has beaten two WDCs over the course of a season.

I would expect it to be quite close at the beginning of the season as Hamilton adapts to a different car, and the gap between them to grow as the year goes on.

#138 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 17:56

Lewis, from his fans called the best of his generation, pure speed, great adaptability should only match a Rosberg, to be on pair with a former seven times world champion?. Of course this proves he was good as Schumacher the last years, furthermore it would prove he is never near the class of prime Schumacher, and this must be a huge disappointment for a fan. If he wants to be seen as all time great, he needs to beat Rosberg. I think he will, but to match him, can't be a serious goal at his first season, I would be disappointed if he loses against Rosberg

I think he has done enough to prove how fast he is. i mean he was team mates with Alonso, and button who some say is no slouch. unless you don't rate Alonso as a decent competitor

#139 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,302 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 18:21

I'd be pretty shocked if Rosberg beats Lewis this season. Its not like Lewis was ever the sort that needed time to get up to speed.

This ....

But I think he may need to change his style a bit to fit the car/team

Advertisement

#140 ForzaGTR

ForzaGTR

• 3,066 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 18:45

Such strong reasoning.

#141 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,249 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 19:29

Above 20 posts moved from Mercedes car thread. Only post if you have well-reasoned, rationale included please, posts that constitute as trolling will be removed

#142 Dzeidzei

Dzeidzei

• 142 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 19:46

Absolutely THE team mate battle for 2013. RBR is easy, Felipe is only allowed to be a sidekick, Button will be fine with Perez and Lotus will be the same. But Merc is another story, hopefully this fight will be at the sharper end and not in the middle.

#143 ruby soho

ruby soho

• 478 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 19:51

Such strong reasoning.

Well no matter how strong the reasoning, we are all just guessing at this point. Rosberg is a driver who many still consider untested, even though he bested MS. He just might be a better driver than we think.
He is more familiar with the team, and I'd be suprised if Hamilton can match him in the beginning of the season. Lewis does deserve another championship in my opinion, but the 2013 season could be difficult.

#144 surbjits

surbjits

• 465 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 20:29

I think Hamilton is keeping quite a bit in his pocket - being a touch crafty if you know what I mean........

Why people come up with theories like this, I will never know.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nico is beating Hamilton at the start, Hamilton has only just joined the team. Whilst Nico has been there for 3 years already.

Edited by surbjits, 24 February 2013 - 20:30.

#145 apoka

apoka

• 3,610 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 21:11

I wouldn't be surprised if Nico is beating Hamilton at the start, Hamilton has only just joined the team. Whilst Nico has been there for 3 years already.

Hamilton has more experience at the sharp end of the grid though (which is where the W04 will hopefully be) and his popularity may give him a good initial standing in the team. I don't think there is a big advantage for Rosberg really as he couldn't build the team around him with a 7 times WDC as team mate. If he beats Hamilton, I think he truly deserves the credit (which he didn't really get for beating MS). It could be be a fascinating battle over the next years.

#146 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 4,901 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 21:13

I can see the battle see-sawing a bit at the start of the season as Hamilton and his side of the garage learn how to work with each other in race situations but once he's settled I think we'll see him consistently edge Rosberg. I've always thought Nico was quick but he's never convinced me that he's got the extra something that's needed to compete against the very best. Perhaps I'll turn out to be wrong and he'll convince me otherwise this year but at the moment my money's on Hamilton.

#147 keiichi

keiichi

• 317 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 21:14

Lewis beat (altough with the same amount of points) Alonso, a double WDC, and considered by many (me included) the best current F1 driver in his rookie season. So has highly rated as Rosberg might be I don't know why we can't expect Lewis to beat him from the very beginning of the season.

I'm not saying that such thing will happen, but I don't think it is as unlikely as some seem to believe.

#148 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,818 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 21:50

Yeah fancy a bit of sandbagging in F1......... Silly me.....

#149 inca_roads

inca_roads

• 1,445 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 22:08

In F1 (and indeed in all categories up to then I believe), Lewis has out-performed his team-mates, with the exception possibly - I would say they were very close to equal - of Alonso (in Lewis' first season in F1 though obviously.) :)

So though I think Rosberg is quite underrated, and a top driver, I expect Hamilton to come out on top. I wouldn't expect any huge difference between them though. Plus, I wouldn't be too dismayed if Nico beats him early on - I would give anyone joining a new team about three races to get used to things and get up to optimum level, and as I say, Nico is very good anyway.

They'll be a top combination.

Edited by inca_roads, 24 February 2013 - 22:09.

#150 Dzeidzei

Dzeidzei

• 142 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:54

Lewis beat (altough with the same amount of points) Alonso, a double WDC, and considered by many (me included) the best current F1 driver in his rookie season.

Thats right. Without his stupid, rookie mistakes (China and Brazil) Lewis would have easily been the wdc in his rookie year.