3907 replies to this topic

#2051 CHIUNDA

CHIUNDA

• 813 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:32

lewis' BBC column this week looks

"interesting" ;)

for want of a better word

Pretty all of it has been subjected to 360 Degrees discussion on the net already - many times over. Weird - it felt like reading any number of the posts from the fans on any random website.

Advertisement

#2052 Will

Will

• 2,971 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:40

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/106653

Above link shows that there is still a few things for Lewis to sort out to get comfortable in car compared to Rosberg. Rosberg is doing v well indeed. It is interesting though that Lewis talks about brakes, because that is the one thing he really needs to work for him, given his late braking technique. Once that is sorted, I think Lewis will be more competitive.

#2053 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,523 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:41

Rosberg initially looking strong as predicted......... But I've got a funny feeling that pretty much all "normal" performance work/chasing has gone out of the window as the drivers and teams try to get the cheesiest tyres yet to work. Brawn has just hinted that they may not even run in Q3..........

Edited by maverick69, 12 April 2013 - 08:41.

#2054 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:49

Rosberg initially looking strong as predicted......... But I've got a funny feeling that pretty much all "normal" performance work/chasing has gone out of the window as the drivers and teams try to get the cheesiest tyres yet to work. Brawn has just hinted that they may not even run in Q3..........

Hmmm, run the options at the end? That ought to work in theory with a light car on a rubbered-in track but it's often gone wrong in the past. Track temperature I suppose.

I hope the team do have their heads on straight in Q, save some new tyres and at least end up on tyres that've only done one hot lap.

#2055 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,282 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:50

Hmmm, run the options at the end? That ought to work in theory with a light car on a rubbered-in track but it's often gone wrong in the past. Track temperature I suppose.

I hope the team do have their heads on straight in Q, save some new tyres and at least end up on tyres that've only done one hot lap.

Prob too risky... what if the options fall apart - no chance to recover. I say start on Options and change. Everyone will have to run on them at some point.

#2056 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:46

Nico Rosberg giving Hamilton's pace & stock value a reality check... big time!! If Nico can continue his form tomorrow and raceday in China... then Brawn might just end up regretting 'robbing' Rosberg 3 points by season end.

This weekend could be decisive between the two... Hamilton better not lose to Nico's racecraft here again like he did in Malaysia.

Edited by BackOnTop, 12 April 2013 - 11:47.

#2057 P123

P123

• 8,372 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:48

Yeah, quali and race are the key.

#2058 FastnLoud

FastnLoud

• 749 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:23

Nico Rosberg giving Hamilton's pace & stock value a reality check... big time!! If Nico can continue his form tomorrow and raceday in China... then Brawn might just end up regretting 'robbing' Rosberg 3 points by season end.

This weekend could be decisive between the two... Hamilton better not lose to Nico's racecraft here again like he did in Malaysia.

Lewis Hamilton 2-0 Quali - 2-0 races - FACT - :wave:

NEXT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

#2059 surbjits

surbjits

• 375 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:35

Rosberg is the master of China. Seems to excel extremely well here.

Would be surprised to see Hamilton come out on top in normal circumstances.

Advertisement

#2060 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:37

I think it will be close this weekend, there will be no shame if Nico gets the upper hand on what is probably his best circuit.

#2061 dhill39

dhill39

• 419 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:45

I think we should give Lewis time to settle in,and the last race and this one are Nico best tracks,didn't he set the fastest race lap here when he was at Williams.Nico his quick around here,no same in losing to a quick driver.

#2062 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:49

Before China, the practice sessions stand

4 - 2 to Rosberg.

Lets see what happens in qualifying.

#2063 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,078 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:54

I switched off after FP2, didn't realise quali was today. Btw, do you reckon Nico was given a reality check when he was blazing in FPs in both Aus and Mal only to find a certain someone from Stevenage ahead of him on the grid? No? Well maybe this week he will, we just don't know - (this bit is key despite the apparent certainty in your post).

#2064 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,078 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:55

Before China, the practice sessions stand

4 - 2 to Rosberg.

Lets see what happens in qualifying.

:lol:

#2065 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 13:19

Rosberg is the master of China. Seems to excel extremely well here.

Would be surprised to see Hamilton come out on top in normal circumstances.

Yet Lewis has won pole there twice, won there twice, and podiumed (2nd, 3rd, 3rd) every year bar his DNF (was on course to win pretty convincingly) and the year he had a dog. It's been one of his strongest tracks.

#2066 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 13:20

Who gives a f*** about practice, seriously? It's practice. Q3 is really all that matters, unless someone fails to reach it due to technical difficulties.

#2067 stanga

stanga

• 1,124 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 14:03

Damn, did I miss qualification?!!??!?

Poor show on them switching it to Friday and not advertising it. Is the race over yet?

#2068 aliasj

aliasj

• 150 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 14:30

Ok folks. Hamilton is a world-champion. He's bloody quick, and a brilliant racer (unless it comes to racing with Massa). Hamilton handles pressure much better (than Rosberg). He delivers on qualifying and race day (as opposed to Rosberg). And so on, and so forth. But my observation here is about raw pace, simply that, alright. Simply raw pace.

Rosberg was +0.5 seconds faster than Schumacher at China (all 3 years). Currently, he's +0.5 seconds faster than Hamilton, (two practice sessions at China). IF this trend continues, throughout the year. Then please its time to start believing me. Please.

#2069 mlsnoopy

mlsnoopy

• 2,356 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 14:32

Let's wait till Q3.

#2070 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 267 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 15:03

Ok folks. Hamilton is a world-champion. He's bloody quick, and a brilliant racer (unless it comes to racing with Massa). Hamilton handles pressure much better (than Rosberg). He delivers on qualifying and race day (as opposed to Rosberg). And so on, and so forth. But my observation here is about raw pace, simply that, alright. Simply raw pace.

Rosberg was +0.5 seconds faster than Schumacher at China (all 3 years). Currently, he's +0.5 seconds faster than Hamilton, (two practice sessions at China). IF this trend continues, throughout the year. Then please its time to start believing me. Please.

Have a look at the best sector times. Hamilton lost 0,5 to Rosberg there. In S2, Hamilton is a lot slower than the guys behind him. Obviously he messed up S2, or had an issue.

Nevertheless, Rosberg looks mighty at this track. Kudos if Hamilton can beat him this weekend.

#2071 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 15:10

But, you are assuming that drivers go all out in free practice, which is NOT the case.

#2072 f1supreme

f1supreme

• 744 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 15:12

Have a look at the best sector times. Hamilton lost 0,5 to Rosberg there. In S2, Hamilton is a lot slower than the guys behind him. Obviously he messed up S2, or had an issue.

Nevertheless, Rosberg looks mighty at this track. Kudos if Hamilton can beat him this weekend.

Lewis was held up in sector 2 on his quick lap. I've forgotten who it was that held him up, but lewis had to eventually drive around him.

#2073 Will

Will

• 2,971 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 15:15

Lewis was held up in sector 2 on his quick lap. I've forgotten who it was that held him up, but lewis had to eventually drive around him.

I think it was Hulkenberg who was annoyed about being held up himself earlier on

#2074 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 15:18

Im not sure Hulk cost him that much time to be honest.

#2075 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 15:18

Set-ups, deliberately lifting,... Many variables at play here. Let's wait until qualifying before saying "Rosberg is mighty." Hamilton is the first high-caliber teammate he's ever had.

Just like in AUS and MAL, I expect Lewis to beat him in Q3 and outpace him in the race (no fuel incident this time).

#2076 Tauhid

Tauhid

• 231 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 15:20

The track will stay dry and Nico will undoubtedly come out on top, there is no way even Lewis can cut down the 0.5 second of a gap. They'll be close but Nico is always good over here, Lewis is as well but Nico just seems to have the best setup. Lewis is new and it takes time to gel in, his feedback is nowhere near the same as Nico's. As the new guy, he has to take it as it is and make few changes for his liking. He has to grow as the races go by and he'll cope. He is one of the top 3 drivers in the grid, so if anything he is favorites when pitted against any team-mate, whethers its Nico or Button.

#2077 charly0418

charly0418

• 1,218 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 15:20

Lewis Hamilton 2-0 Quali - 2-0 races - FACT - :wave:

NEXT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

1-1 on races actually

#2078 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 15:21

Yes OK. Rosberg has more raw pace than Hamilton, IF he's faster in FP all through the year. Otherwise... he hasn't :D .

Anyway Nico is faster than I'd realised, for one. It's clear from Lewis' interview today that Nico is pushing him and Lewis has to find something. He's looking though.

#2079 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 1,950 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 15:22

I think it was a toro rosso.

Hamilton will have to look better the tyres like he did on China 2011, to win this one against rosberg.

Advertisement

#2080 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 15:30

The track will stay dry and Nico will undoubtedly come out on top, there is no way even Lewis can cut down the 0.5 second of a gap. They'll be close but Nico is always good over here, Lewis is as well but Nico just seems to have the best setup. Lewis is new and it takes time to gel in, his feedback is nowhere near the same as Nico's. As the new guy, he has to take it as it is and make few changes for his liking. He has to grow as the races go by and he'll cope. He is one of the top 3 drivers in the grid, so if anything he is favorites when pitted against any team-mate, whethers its Nico or Button.

Nico might very well destroy lewis here, but the 0.5 second gap in practice is meaningless

#2081 Tauhid

Tauhid

• 231 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 15:33

Nico might very well destroy lewis here, but the 0.5 second gap in practice is meaningless

pretty weird to hear that Lewis will get destroyed by anyone in the grid, better yet his own team-mate. I know Nico is brilliant around here, but destroy Hamilton?? Bit too far fetched.

#2082 f1supreme

f1supreme

• 744 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 15:36

I think it was a toro rosso.

Hamilton will have to look better the tyres like he did on China 2011, to win this one against rosberg.

True, but didn't lewis do 27 laps on a set today?

#2083 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 15:37

I'm just saying, 0.5, 1 second, even 2 seconds in practice really doesn't have much basis to make a judgement on.

#2084 SirT

SirT

• 217 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 15:47

As others have said. Q3 and the race are where it matters. Nico is a top driver and I really like the dynamics in this team but claiming bragging rights through practice is a dangerous game.

I would guess that there's different parts on each car, different fuel loads, different set up, track temps and traffic. Too many variables to be claiming Rosberg has more raw pace than Lewis.

Let's see how tomorrow and Sunday go. I have a feeling both may get on the podium.

#2085 rallye3

rallye3

• 63 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 15:58

Lewis has been quoted as saying " Nico has really upped his game". A little presumptuous to suggest that his arrival at the team has caused this.
Nico's pace this year is showing that Schumacher was driving really well last year when the car allowed it

#2086 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 1,950 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 16:01

Lewis has been quoted as saying " Nico has really upped his game". A little presumptuous to suggest that his arrival at the team has caused this.
Nico's pace this year is showing that Schumacher was driving really well last year when the car allowed it

Schumacher was driving well,but Rosberg won fair and square 2010 and 2011... so Nico's position on the team was safe.

Now a new challenge comes,i am sure Nico is giving it all to not be a nr 2 on the future.

Edited by Boxerevo, 12 April 2013 - 16:02.

#2087 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 16:01

How do you know its not true?

#2088 femi

femi

• 6,203 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 16:16

Yes OK. Rosberg has more raw pace than Hamilton, IF he's faster in FP all through the year. Otherwise... he hasn't :D .

Anyway Nico is faster than I'd realised, for one. It's clear from Lewis' interview today that Nico is pushing him and Lewis has to find something. He's looking though.

I am willing to bet LH will top NR yet again in qualy tomorrow. He had already closed him down to 0.064 secs on a tyre that has done 11 laps which was much older than those used by NR when he set his(the) fastest time on mediums. LH also got terribly held up in the 2nd sector during his first run on softs but before then, his first sector time was already quicker than NR's.

Actually, these early races during which LH and his race team are still learning to know each other, LH still learning to do things in the car that NR would do reflexively, learning about the team and processes, still working to get make himself comfortable in the car, learning how to get the team to give his needs desired priority...

Alonso and KIMI at some point after moving to a new team brought along their preferred race engineers. MW transferred LH's race engineer to JB, LH on the other hand has to contend with strangers. Obviously, developing required level of understanding and efficiency as NR has with his race team is going to take some time. In a sport where 0.5sec gap is like infinity, every little counts.

I must say LH has done very well considering and there will be lots more to come.

#2089 femi

femi

• 6,203 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 16:17

NR had said he would have to up his game due to LH joining Merc.

#2090 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 267 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 16:19

To all posyers on this page; if you provide quotes, also provide a source.

Otherwise it's meaningless.

#2091 femi

femi

• 6,203 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 16:23

Im not sure Hulk cost him that much time to be honest.

I think he held him up for about 2 corners. After that, there was no sense in LH going all out to the end of the lap - he knew he had lost plenty of time.

#2092 rallye3

rallye3

• 63 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 16:43

To all posyers on this page; if you provide quotes, also provide a source.

Otherwise it's meaningless.

Sky f1

#2093 Grundle

Grundle

• 692 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 17:23

Interestingly, Hamilton has been faster first stint Aus where there was Tyre graining, and fp2 long run 0.8sec faster said his engineer.
Nicos tyres were grained. So Hamilton is very good coping with graining, or Nico is bad.

#2094 femi

femi

• 6,203 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 17:38

Interestingly, Hamilton has been faster first stint Aus where there was Tyre graining, and fp2 long run 0.8sec faster said his engineer.
Nicos tyres were grained. So Hamilton is very good coping with graining, or Nico is bad.

Which might mean NR doesn't push the car when heavy and when on fresh tyres during races. That might be NR race stratey right there.

#2095 yoyogetfunky

yoyogetfunky

• 856 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 19:22

That can be negated because Nico is better at fuel saving. The team was schooling Hamilton today in practise how to coast and lift and safe fuel.

#2096 FastnLoud

FastnLoud

• 749 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 19:31

Nico

1:42.244
1:43.749
1:44.410
1:43.089
1:42.919
1:42.946
1:43.436
1:43.282
1:43.580
1:43.748
1:44.297
1:44.300

Lewis

1:42.706
1:43.620
1:43.377
1:43.535
1:42.811
1:43.426
1:43.708
1:43.453
1:43.299
1:44.116
1:45.265
1:44.668

Taken out the high laps which were traffic or whatever, must say Nico looks strong both Quali and the race

#2097 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 19:48

I am willing to bet LH will top NR yet again in qualy tomorrow. He had already closed him down to 0.064 secs on a tyre that has done 11 laps which was much older than those used by NR when he set his(the) fastest time on mediums. LH also got terribly held up in the 2nd sector during his first run on softs but before then, his first sector time was already quicker than NR's.

Actually, these early races during which LH and his race team are still learning to know each other, LH still learning to do things in the car that NR would do reflexively, learning about the team and processes, still working to get make himself comfortable in the car, learning how to get the team to give his needs desired priority...

Alonso and KIMI at some point after moving to a new team brought along their preferred race engineers. MW transferred LH's race engineer to JB, LH on the other hand has to contend with strangers. Obviously, developing required level of understanding and efficiency as NR has with his race team is going to take some time. In a sport where 0.5sec gap is like infinity, every little counts.

I must say LH has done very well considering and there will be lots more to come.

Yeah I've been surprised how fast Rosberg has been for these factors to have come into play. Lewis is coming though...

"It just so happens that I went to the factory on Sunday. I got my guys, instead of having a nice day at home, to come in and work overtime with me.
We worked in the simulator on fuel strategies, fuel saving and so on, and I think people will see the difference in the coming races.
You can always improve and this is one of the biggest steps I have made and I am quite excited about using what we have learned."

BBC Column

#2098 yoyogetfunky

yoyogetfunky

• 856 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 20:46

NR:What is in my head right now is that the car feels really good and that I want to attack, attack, attack on Sunday. :up:

#2099 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,282 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 20:48

Yeah I've been surprised how fast Rosberg has been for these factors to have come into play. Lewis is coming though...

"It just so happens that I went to the factory on Sunday. I got my guys, instead of having a nice day at home, to come in and work overtime with me.
We worked in the simulator on fuel strategies, fuel saving and so on, and I think people will see the difference in the coming races.
You can always improve and this is one of the biggest steps I have made and I am quite excited about using what we have learned."

BBC Column

I think its actually more impressive that LH has been immediately on the pace .... and as you say, there is probably more to come.

Lets wait till the end of the season to judge how fast NR really is.

Advertisement

#2100 Schumacher7

Schumacher7

• 714 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 21:01

He's got to say that, if he gets beaten by Rosberg he doesn't want to be compared to a 43 year old Michael Schumacher does he? His stock would fall massively.