* * * - - 10 votes

Hamilton Vs Rosberg - 2013 [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3907 replies to this topic

#401 Hairy

Hairy

• 299 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:47

Hamilton has his own Jet now, so I am sure any trips stateside will not present too many problems, for the main trouble is being couped up for long periods. I am sure he's got a bed on it and some other elements which will render him fine in the long run.

I haven't seen Hamilton this happy since he started in F1.

I don't think Nico run rings around Webber as his team mate, and it's this which makes me think he'll struggle against Hamilton. I think it's a fair statement that Hamilton would run rings around Webber. I guess it will come out in the wash, but I genuinely cannot see Nico pressuring Hamilton too much. I think he learned a lot from 2011 and it's made him a much better driver. Out of Mclaren, I think we'll really get to see the best of him.

Advertisement

#402 f1supreme

f1supreme

• 829 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:29

I disagree - if both your drivers drive to the supposed 'delta' you claim in the race, they'll both push for quali and one'll beat the other that way - easy enough to destroy this way, look at Alonso and Massa. When teammates are roughly as fast as each other you get them next to each other in the points.

But alonso gets number 1 treatment. He always wants that

#403 robefc

robefc

• 8,107 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:46

I dunno... of course there are examples of LH taking a less deserving car to better places than it should be, but there are also examples of him getting quite down in the mouth about an uncompetitive car. I think Nico is a little better accustomed to such a situation.

Of course, given that there is likely to be less pressure on LH this year, perhaps he'll be able to leave off the "the car feels like a boat" comments and just wring the thing by the neck for the fun of it...

I think the latter simply because Lewis is (or should be) prepared for it.

2009 was a bit of a shock for him and the fact he couldn't defend his championship must have hurt, 2011 he was beyond frustrated with vettel having a rocket shop more than anything to do with button imo.
Unless he's a very good actor he's clearly prepared for Merc not to be challenging at the front and must have accepted that when he made his decision to leave macca so I don't expect it to be an issue.

#404 mattferg

mattferg

• 847 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:04

:lol: Poor race pace on RBR, yeah that's why they've won 3 WDCs + 3 WCCs on the trot :lol:

Barring Spa, when in normal conditions has Red Bull ever gained significant places in a race? They're fast in quali and pretty average on race pace.

Edited by MightyMoose, 11 March 2013 - 13:31.
Removed: Off-topic quote & response

#405 MightyMoose

MightyMoose
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,124 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 13:27

Hmmm.... thread title Hamilton Vs Rosberg 2013 yet many of you seem to read that as "Debate luck & Brazil 2012".

Enough of this off-topic crap. Stick to the topic or don't post here.

#406 Zava

Zava

• 5,098 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 13:40

Hamilton should destroy Rosberg, who has been flattered by a shot Schumacher. People forget he was only about 3 tenths quicker than Nakajima on average.

there was a report from the first barcelona (?) test that Rosberg on the same program was 3 tenths quicker than Hamilton. therefore: Hamilton=Nakajima

#407 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 15:17

Barring Spa, when in normal conditions has Red Bull ever gained significant places in a race? They're fast in quali and pretty average on race pace.

Melbourne? China?

#408 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,853 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 15:21

there was a report from the first barcelona (?) test that Rosberg on the same program was 3 tenths quicker than Hamilton. therefore: Hamilton=Nakajima

Yes I believe it was based on two different days, where both were running different configurations.

#409 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 6,101 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 15:38

Yes I believe it was based on two different days, where both were running different configurations.

The three tenths calculation came from the team it self so it was accurate. Rosberg was faster almost every day, even if we don't know their programs we can surely say he will be a tough challenge for Lewis and other way around too.

#410 bauss

bauss

• 5,067 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 15:42

The three tenths calculation came from the team it self so it was accurate. Rosberg was faster almost every day, even if we don't know their programs we can surely say he will be a tough challenge for Lewis and other way around too.

link?

#411 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,853 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 15:44

I don't remember it coming from the team? Link? Did they release similar information after the next two tests?

Also to say it was everyday is a bit deceptive considering both cars were retired due to mechanical problems after 10 and 14 laps respectively on the first two days, so it was only two days at a track neither will race at, and to give an example of how their set-ups varied only Lewis ran with the passive drag reduction device on his car during the two days. Conclusion, it means as much as Lewis beating Nico on the simulator, nothing really.

Edited by Kvothe, 11 March 2013 - 15:47.

#412 f1supreme

f1supreme

• 829 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 15:45

Completely different days and different conditions. If he had of been quicker on the Same day, that would be different. Lewis last team mate was often quicker in practice, big deal.

#413 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 6,101 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 15:51

link?

The link has posted before, It was publiced at turun sanomat sometime after jerez test. Mercedes had calculated Rosberg was 0,3 sec/lap faster than Lewis and mercedes was 0,5sec/lap ahead of Ferrari but things could have well have changed during barcelona tests and most likely did! Remember Rosberg is considered one of the fastest drivers over one lap by many f1 drivers, some even considers him even the fastest so Hamilton won't get it easy, surely the difference between them will be very small tests did show this already.

#414 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,853 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 16:00

The link has posted before, It was publiced at turun sanomat sometime after jerez test. Mercedes had calculated Rosberg was 0,3 sec/lap faster than Lewis and mercedes was 0,5sec/lap ahead of Ferrari but things could have well have changed during barcelona tests and most likely did! Remember Rosberg is considered one of the fastest drivers over one lap by many f1 drivers, some even considers him even the fastest so Hamilton won't get it easy, surely the difference between them will be very small tests did show this already.

No the link was not posted before, there was nothing but a post by yourself supposedly paraphrasing some information from a Finnish newspaper.

According to Turun Sanomat, the calculations from inside mercedes gp say Nico Rosberg was three tenths quicker/lap on equal fuel/program than new team mate Hamilton and also good news for mercedes was that they calculated that they were quicker than Ferrari on thirsday by half a second/lap.

Edited by Kvothe, 11 March 2013 - 16:00.

#415 Claudius

Claudius

• 2,309 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 16:01

No the link was not posted before, there was nothing but a post by yourself supposedly paraphrasing some information from a Finnish newspaper.

Exactly, never heard of that before.
Until links from the team, it's just speculation.

#416 bauss

bauss

• 5,067 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 16:06

eh 5 more days :)

#417 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 6,101 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 16:10

Well that's true, but people who ask for a link can also google it, not so difficult... And you can go and send message to Heikki Kulta (turun sanomat) he records all his interviews on tape so he surely has that 0,3 seconds/lap story there too. I have no reason to not believe what he has written as it's beiievable that Rosberg was those few tenths quicker during jerez tests as it takes time from Lewis to get settled to the team/car. The true situation will only be first time seen at melbourne qualifying.

#418 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 6,101 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 16:11

Exactly, never heard of that before.
Until links from the team, it's just speculation.

All the stories are always speculation here, it's the qualifying and race that shows how the situation really is like.

#419 Claudius

Claudius

• 2,309 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 16:14

All the stories are always speculation here, it's the qualifying and race that shows how the situation really is like.

True, but you were claiming that the team had released data that proved your point.
I'd like to see those comments from the team, that's all.

Advertisement

#420 Lone

Lone

• 659 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 16:21

I think it's taken from this article in TS by Heikki Kulta when referring to Rosberg beeing faster than Hamilton in the same conditions with the same set-up. Unfortunately I can't help you with the translation but perhaps some finn can.

http://www.ts.fi/moo...ittain lupaavaa

#421 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 6,101 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 16:22

True, but you were claiming that the team had released data that proved your point.
I'd like to see those comments from the team, that's all.

No, not my claim...Heikki Kulta claims so, he has teams comments, unless we get them from him or straight from the team we won't get them. But that 0,3 seconds/lap doesn't matter anything, things will start from zero at melbourne and only there we will see if Rosberg is able to challenge Lewis or possibly even beat him.

Lewis himself said he expects tough battle between him and Nico and both will be ahead many times during the season.

#422 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,403 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 20:58

By no means a foregone conclusion, this one. Nico is a class act. Anyone that is knowledgable about F1 will try to separate car characteristics from driver ones - the 2012 Merc was not a great race car, but that doesn't mean NR is not a great racer. Earlier, Rosberg squared up very well against Webber, who is a fierce competitor and exceptionally fast. Fair enough, Mark hasn't faired so well vs Vettel, but SV is that bit more exceptional again (youngest ever and triple WDC is some record already). Not that Hamilton doesn't have amazing credentials too of course.

Looking forward to this battle. If it gets as competitive as I hope it will be intriguing - one of NR's great strengths is a very cool head - he never once rose to the Schumacher bait; he just kept his head down and kept smiling. Plus he is exceedingly intelligent and obviously he knows the team as well as anyone.

#423 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 21:38

I think at thi moment its too close to call.

#424 motorhead

motorhead

• 937 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 21:58

Rosberg has never had a luxury of a winning car, Lewis has always been in one. I really hope NR will have his chance this year and we´ll see entertaining battles between those two.

#425 BuzzingHornet

BuzzingHornet

• 5,999 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 22:02

Not a Hamilton fan but I can see that he has settled in really well at Mercedes and looks at home there. We know all about Lewis already, in the races he is a monster so I think this year it will finding out what Nico has got - is he a hard b@stard like his dad or not... :)

#426 BuzzingHornet

BuzzingHornet

• 5,999 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 22:02

Not a Hamilton fan but I can see that he has settled in really well at Mercedes and looks at home there. We know all about Lewis already, in the races he is a monster so I think this year it will finding out what Nico has got - is he a hard b@stard like his dad or not... :)

#427 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,403 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 22:14

Quite amusing that the driver that is most like the great Keke is Lewis.

#428 itsademo

itsademo

• 408 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 00:10

BIG snip
the ultimate desire to grab it by the scruff and put it places it shouldn't be.

that in a nut shell is frequently the difference between many drivers and i do think it is the difference between Nico and lewis.
One has repeatedly put a bad car well above where it should be come end of sunday and the other ? repeatedly?!!!

#429 itsademo

itsademo

• 408 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 00:16

I suspect he may later allow more functions back on the steering wheel which I believe he had taken off in an effort to get to speed...

please do let us know how you know or think any functions have been disabled and even more so at Hamiltons demand

#430 SirT

SirT

• 366 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 00:28

please do let us know how you know or think any functions have been disabled and even more so at Hamiltons demand

Lewis Hamilton makes Mercedes simplify his car's 'too many buttons' wheel

#431 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,143 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:03

Rosberg has never had a luxury of a winning car, Lewis has always been in one. I really hope NR will have his chance this year and we´ll see entertaining battles between those two.

Thats something for Rosberg. :clap:

Wish both the drivers well for the Aus GP. :up:

#432 apoka

apoka

• 3,611 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:58

Lewis Hamilton makes Mercedes simplify his car's 'too many buttons' wheel

They could not resist: :)

"The 28-year-old split from the toughest and most complex Button of them all – a speedy one called Jenson – when he left McLaren for Mercedes at the end of last season."

#433 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,257 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 21:06

Posts removed, again, please read the following:

Discuss Hamilton vs Rosberg please, bring testing, past series' and races against one another into it. But this is not the place to revisit Hamilton/Button and Rosberg/Schumacher in infinite detail as some members are insisting on doing.

Hmmm.... thread title Hamilton Vs Rosberg 2013 yet many of you seem to read that as "Debate luck & Brazil 2012".

Enough of this off-topic crap. Stick to the topic or don't post here.

Not discussing Hamilton/Button extends to Hamilton/Kovalainen as well as any of Rosberg's team-mates.

Regards

#434 SR388

SR388

• 4,039 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 21:08

I just hope they both have a lot of fun and become even better and more caring friends.

#435 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 23:57

I expect them to be close in qually

I also expect Hamilton to be better in most races, why? well, Nico seems to go missing in most races and he doesn't seem very aggressive or that good at defending his position.

#436 weareracing

weareracing

• 899 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 00:22

I guess we'll get the 1st piece of the puzzle slotted into place in just a few days time.
I expect Lewis to EDGE it over Nico, no drubbing, with both being SPOILERS in the 2013 Championship titles without mounting a serious challenge.
2014 however COULD be a different proposition.
Enjoy the racing, winter is officially over this week-end REGARDLESS of the weather falling from that grey sky :up:

#437 JustinD

JustinD

• 65 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:38

Hamilton putting in quick times, Rosberg all over the place. Already getting destroyed?

#438 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,531 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:13

Did someone say 0.3 NR over LH? It's currently 0.4, hehehe, early days of course. I'm just pleased that this year we are going to find out if Nico justified all the rapture years ago. So far he isn't looking too much the carthorse. I'd venture that Mercedes have taken the best driver pairing title off Mac. A pretty quick couple of kids.

#439 Dalin80

Dalin80

• 339 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:16

Well to be fair lewis only had one run at a soft sprint lap and aborted it after going off so still too early iam afraid to say.

Advertisement

#440 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:30

Did someone say 0.3 NR over LH? It's currently 0.4, hehehe, early days of course. I'm just pleased that this year we are going to find out if Nico justified all the rapture years ago. So far he isn't looking too much the carthorse. I'd venture that Mercedes have taken the best driver pairing title off Mac. A pretty quick couple of kids.

You're comparing Lewis on mediums with Nico on supersofts - difference reportedly 1.0s.

Most of the session Nico was about 0.5s behind. Too big a gap to be real, you have to think, but fwiw it's in LH's favour.

#441 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:35

Yup end of every stint when they had completed their programmes generally Lewis was .5 up on Nico.

#442 SunnyENTP

SunnyENTP

• 717 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:38

Its obvious you did not watch FP and just looked at the times :lol:

#443 InfectedPumpkin

InfectedPumpkin

• 535 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:40

Many think that Hamilton will outscore Rosberg, but I think they will be pretty equal, which is good.

#444 ForzaGTR

ForzaGTR

• 3,084 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:05

Hamilton's switch to Merc not looking so silly now...

#445 mlsnoopy

mlsnoopy

• 2,356 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:07

Come on it's just FP. Also who cares who finishes ahead I just want one of them to win the WDC.

Edited by mlsnoopy, 15 March 2013 - 08:34.

#446 mlsnoopy

mlsnoopy

• 2,356 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:08

Put Hamilton in the McLaren and let him set up the car.

#447 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:13

yeah....they still have those reliability issues that plagued them last year...

bit early to speak (as proven in the last 8 mins of FP2) after 1 practice session FFS

Edited by Raelene, 15 March 2013 - 08:14.

#448 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:18

yeah....they still have those reliability issues that plagued them last year...

bit early to speak (as proven in the last 8 mins of FP2) after 1 practice session FFS

What you think after what Whitmarsh and Michael have been saying, after 1 practice day in which Lewis was 2nd fastest most of the time, it's premature to say 'it wasn't a mistake to leave'???? :drunk:

You're gonna have to wish a lot harder than that :lol:

#449 ruby soho

ruby soho

• 478 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:27

I can't believe I haven't noticed earlier that Lewis has a horrid forehead combover! :lol:
Posted Image
But it obviously hasn't affected his driving :cool:

#450 braderzf50

braderzf50

• 112 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:42

Hey guys, just found this, not a bad read. :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/21793873

Cheers.

Brad