Footwork FA15

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bob1977

bob1977

• 11 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 16:35

Hi Guys

One of my favourite cars from the 90's was the Footwork FA15 from 1994.

The car started the season really fast but soon tailed off. I heard that this was due to the rule changes post imola? I seem to recall seeing an interview with the designer (Alan Jenkins?) that the rule changes really hurt the car and that it was designed around fancy front wing end plates that were subsequently banned?

Just wondered if any one couldd shed any more light on this?

Fittipaldi and Morbidelli were really fast in the first few races (Only let down by a fragile gearbox)

It was a shame because Arrows/Footwork were one of my favourite teams and in 94 it seemed the same old story of bags of potential but no money.

Thanks

Advertisement

#2 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 21:52

The car started the season really fast but soon tailed off. I heard that this was due to the rule changes post imola? I seem to recall seeing an interview with the designer (Alan Jenkins?) that the rule changes really hurt the car and that it was designed around fancy front wing end plates that were subsequently banned?

Just wondered if any one couldd shed any more light on this?

Fittipaldi and Morbidelli were really fast in the first few races (Only let down by a fragile gearbox)

Thanks

After the deaths of Ratzenberger and Senna at Imola smaller front wing end plates and rear diffusers were mandated for the Spanish Grand Prix.

Presumably this was done as an immediate safety measure to slow the cars down.

For Canada holes in the airbox were mandated to reduce their effectiveness and thereby reduce engine power to again slow the the cars down.

In Germany the wooden planks beneath the cars were mandated forcing the teams to run higher ride heights for fear of being disqualified for damaging the planks, effectively slowing the cars down further.