Button v Perez - 2013

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4000 replies to this topic

#1 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,143 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 18:07

Right, let's get started.

Hello Perez and Button fans! Play nicely.

I'll start with Perez comment on Autosport that says his aim is to win the title in 2013. http://www.autosport...t.php/id/104807

To that I'd say, whilst I think that is unrealistic, good on him for believing in himself and aiming high.

But I do believe that Jenson will beat him comfortably over the season 30+ points. I think Perez will have his moments, I predict at least a maiden pole and a maiden win. But I'm actually a bit worried that Perez isn't ready for this. There is something subtly fragile about him.

For Jenson, I think he'll be back to his best. A lot of stars seem to be lining up for him...

Edited by Rinehart, 12 December 2012 - 18:08.

Advertisement

#2 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 18:18

not only button fans, but also hamilton fans will visit this thread more often than you think .... :lol:

already people dishing rosberg in Lewis vs rosberg thread, soon button will be dished here too, mark my word :smoking:

#3 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,824 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 18:23

Agreed, though I don't really understand it. Some Lewis fans will be rooting for Sergio to "destroy" Jenson, even though that would reflect poorly on Lewis. They should really be rooting for the opposite if they're thinking about their man's reputation.

No problem with anything Sergio has said so far. He may be underestimating the pressure of driving for a top team somewhat, but McLaren has plenty of time to get him as ready as possible.

As for predictions, I'm expecting him to be solid but not really a match for Jenson on the points table (Button is a stealthy points gathering machine, after all). As for whether he surprises one way or the other, I'd say it's more likely for him to have a terrible season than a 2007-Lewis rookie-style season.

#4 Lights

Lights

• 17,874 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 18:24

People would think better of Sato. Perez will get destroyed so badly that he will probably consider early retirement after 2013. Perez at Mclaren will be a disaster. Button will obliterate him nearly every race. Jenson is the real deal people.

#5 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 18:32

People would think better of Sato. Perez will get destroyed so badly that he will probably consider early retirement after 2013. Perez at Mclaren will be a disaster. Button will obliterate him nearly every race. Jenson is the real deal people.

see what i meant by ''extreme prejudice'' :smoking: welcome to fanboy land :kiss:

TBH though, i'd say by observing LH vs JB thread for 2 years, i'd suggest people to hold their horses for atleast first 5 races before becoming Nostradamus. Btw, perez has already started the war of mouth by declaring himself next WDC for mclaren while button has already declared to rally the team around him so that he can have another 'WELCOME TO 2009 BABY' :smoking:

Feisty latino vs Cheeky Brit ... in jake humphreys word 'It will be TASTY'

btw, this will be the first year since 2003 that i wont have anything or anyone to cheer for Mclaren Team ... R.I.P it was painfull to support you . i wonder how many others share my views.

WELCOME LOTUSF1 and MGP AMG

Edited by eronrules, 12 December 2012 - 18:33.

#6 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 18:34

see what i meant by ''extreme prejudice'' :smoking: welcome to fanboy land :kiss:

Maybe you should go and read the first couple of pages of the Lewis vs Jenson 2010 thread.

#7 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,143 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 18:34

not only button fans, but also hamilton fans will visit this thread more often than you think .... :lol:

already people dishing rosberg in Lewis vs rosberg thread, soon button will be dished here too, mark my word :smoking:

That's fine, so long as you comment on Button or Perez as per the thread.

Here's a free token. Have another go. :cool:

#8 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 18:37

I have no idea what to expect from SP .... or JB .... what if LH wasnt there to show what a howler he made with set up in the middle of the season... what if he does something like that with SP in the other car - who may perhaps follow his lead??

Unless SP completely flops from the get-go, I will watch with interest... and make predictions about their time as team mates when they return to Europe.

#9 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 18:38

I quite liked Perez a season ago, but I've kinda soured on him in 2012 after a lot of silly moves that would've got someone like Grosjean or Maldonado banned, as well as the fact I've come to regard several other youngsters in F1 as having his number, such as Hulkenberg and Kobayashi. I'm not Button's greatest supporter, but I think Button will blitz him this year, by around 40 points at the end of the season.

#10 P123

P123

• 23,842 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 18:42

Agreed, though I don't really understand it. Some Lewis fans will be rooting for Sergio to "destroy" Jenson, even though that would reflect poorly on Lewis.

Hmm, there seems to be a few JB fans in the LH v Rosberg topic, and two moderators have already jumped in to defend their presence there, so let's not start portraying a Hamilton fan in this topic as anything unusual, and even before they have arrived. We don't all have a pathalogical hatred of JB you know.

As for the actual ontrack battle, I'm sure JB will have the upperhand. Perez will have to show that some of his stunning performances last season weren't due to mere quirks right tyre, right time; a strategy generally forced by a poor qualifying. He does have a bit of a reputation as a tyre preserver, and it will be interesting to see if this view holds when he's up against JB.

#11 SUPRAF1

SUPRAF1

• 400 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 19:08

I've personally never understood the concept of being a fan of a specific driver. I mean you can support a driver because you prefer watching their style of driving but to me whoever wins at the end of the day isn't that important. The exception of course is that usually I want a generic underdog to win, purely for the entertainment :p.

On topic, I think Button will easily outrace and perhaps outqualify Sergio because he has the experience and knows McLaren inside out. Sergio is in a completely new environment and from what other drivers say, McLaren isn't really a very "inviting" or "warm" place. I'm not sure if he will be able to adapt to their perfectionist attitude quickly. He also has to achieve McLaren-level fitness as well.

I can see him matching Button by mid-season.

One thing I'm worried about is Perez performing slightly poorly and then crashing/making silly mistakes because he tries pushing too hard. He should know that the eyes of the media will be scrutinizing his every move.

#12 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 19:15

I think that Button might end the season with 40% more points more than Perez and achieve double the amount of wins that Perez does. It all depends on how competitive the car is of course, but I'm thinking 2012 levels.

#13 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,267 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 19:20

I predict total domitanion from Button with twice more points by the end of the season.

I do like Perez but ending of the 2012 was a bit... dissapointing. And also the question about pure pace on equal strategy appeared.

#14 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 19:23

I reckon JB will tonk Perez :smoking:
Heheheeee*

*Actually - I think he will. JB is a classy driver with a sorted car....... and the 28' will be an evolution of the 27'....... which was an awesome car but for........ So. If the 2013 tyres have an operating window like has been speculated - then it moves straight into JB's hands. Perez won't see which way he went IMO - much like Lewis vs Kovi........ Although Fingerboy will win the title again :(

#15 Moore

Moore

• 400 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 19:25

I hope Jenson shows Sergio up.

#16 SUPRAF1

SUPRAF1

• 400 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 19:28

I reckon JB will tonk Perez :smoking:
Heheheeee*

*Actually - I think he will. JB is a classy driver with a sorted car....... and the 28' will be an evolution of the 27'....... which was an awesome car but for........ So. If the 2013 tyres have an operating window like has been speculated - then it moves straight into JB's hands. Perez won't see which way he went IMO - much like Lewis vs Kovi........ Although Fingerboy will win the title again :(

Although Jenson did say that this year's McLaren was the worst he had ever driven.

#17 gricey1981

gricey1981

• 1,192 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 19:35

I reckon Perez is a mistake too.

JB will easily have the reckoning of him. I dont see any titles for either the team or drivers though but at least he will have a decent british driver in a competitive car.

Hamilton will be back for 2015.

Edited by gricey1981, 12 December 2012 - 19:36.

#18 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,327 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 19:36

This is going to be interesting. Perez is an unknown for me. He seems to have some potential but hasn't proved yet that he can deliver on a consistent basis. On the other hand, Button's speed is ranging from poor to excellent depending on how comfortable he feels with the car.

#19 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,267 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 20:27

Although Jenson did say that this year's McLaren was the worst he had ever driven.

In terms of setting up, not the pure speed.

Advertisement

#20 fayah69

fayah69

• 48 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 20:29

:up: :up: :up:

#21 andysaint

andysaint

• 518 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 20:40

The biggest enemy to Perez will be arrogance. Like Jensen, he needs to embrace the team and vice versa.

#22 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 20:45

Yep.

It's got JB vs Salo written all over it IMO. For Honda (initially) read Carlos Slim etc. etc.

#23 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 20:46

No, he didn't.

He said out of the 3 he's driven its the one that least suits him and isn't easy to get into the right window.

#24 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 20:56

I liked Perez a lot in GP2 and last season, at Monaco before his shunt he was on it. This season however i was a little disappointed, he didn't step up i the way i had hoped, him and Kamui were pretty even, which doesn't bode well as a pointer to Checo being a top class driver. Malaysia aside i didn't rate his podiums a lot, on both occasion he qualified pretty poorly resulting in Sauber taking a risk on strategy, which then paid out big time.

I think the JB V Checo depends a bit on how the car is, if its well balanced and if the Pirellis have a wider performance window as we are expecting then i don't give Sergio much of a chance. JBs speed is pretty underrated IMO, he's not electrically quick but he no slouch either, combined with his experience and consistency i think it'll be a "tonking", so to speak.

#25 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,906 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 21:04

Simply cannot see Button being beaten by Perez, not over the course of a season. It takes, consistent, gilt edged speed to beat JB, and Perez isn't in that category. Problem for Perez is that his strengths also seem to be JB's strengths. I also think JB is an underrated qualifier in some respects, in that when he was happy with the car he generally outqualified Barrichello and was closeish to Hamilton - IMO Hamilton exaggerated his weakness in that department, so don't be surprised if JB outqualifies Perez. I actually see JB vs Perez as being less of a contest than I do Hamilton vs Rosberg.

#26 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 21:12

call me naive, but i think Perez will be faster than Button by the final 8 races.

I feel McLaren will have a fast car 2nd or 3rd fastest behind the RBR, but Button will be inconsistent and Perez will only find his place near the end.

3 wins for Button and 2 for Perez in the final 8. Button wins by ~20 points.

#27 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 2,622 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 21:52

I find myself slowing becoming a Perez fan. There's alotta Serg bashing going on in these forums. Not sure if it's jealousy or envy or because some 'fans' fav driver didn't get the McLaren seat they thought their driver deserved. McLaren aren't stupid, they've been racing for decades now and know how the game works. By the time Australia comes around they'll have their driver ready. I don't expect SP to be WDC in '13, but i do expect him to grow and progress as a top tier grand prix driver as the year moves on.

Edited by InSearchOfThe, 12 December 2012 - 22:18.

#28 matthewf1

matthewf1

• 76 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 21:59

Since Perez signed for McLaren I have seen a lot of negativity directed at him. I think this is partly because he is seen as taking Lewis' seat, and his chance at success. It is also partly because people feel Di Resta should be in the seat. These fans decided the The Hulk should have got the seat instead of Perez, purely because his impressive performances came later in the season than Sergio's.

Anyway, I will be on the Perez side of the McLaren garage next season. I want him to crack Team Jenson. To be honest I doubt that will happen; all JB's quotes about next year show that he really sees it as his team, full stop.

#29 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 22:01

call me naive, but i think Perez will be faster than Button by the final 8 races.

I feel McLaren will have a fast car 2nd or 3rd fastest behind the RBR, but Button will be inconsistent and Perez will only find his place near the end.

3 wins for Button and 2 for Perez in the final 8. Button wins by ~20 points.

That would be a great start for Perez. I don't think many people realistically expect him to beat JB in his first season. As long as he's respectably close to Button in the first half (obviously he could be much better than that) he won't be under too much pressure.

#30 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 5,618 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 22:04

Simply cannot see Button being beaten by Perez, not over the course of a season. It takes, consistent, gilt edged speed to beat JB, and Perez isn't in that category. Problem for Perez is that his strengths also seem to be JB's strengths. I also think JB is an underrated qualifier in some respects, in that when he was happy with the car he generally outqualified Barrichello and was closeish to Hamilton - IMO Hamilton exaggerated his weakness in that department, so don't be surprised if JB outqualifies Perez. I actually see JB vs Perez as being less of a contest than I do Hamilton vs Rosberg.

I agree with your view of Perez's driving style. I think McLaren will end up with two very similar drivers, with Button leading through pure experience if nothing else, which may either be a very good thing or very bad (in an all-eggs-in-one-basket style). However, my own view is that Perez's ability has been underestimated and he'll surprise quite a few people next year so although I can see him being a bit inconsistent he's only 22 so he's got time on his side to show what he can do.

#31 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 22:09

I'm not a fan of either driver but I think signing Perez was an act of desperation from McLaren.

This is another Heikki in the making, Button will blow Perez away big time.

Personally I would have loved McLaren to sign Schumi for one year, just to blow away Merc but it wasn't to be. also I would prefer to see Kamui in that seat.
Perez is ok and I have nothing against him but currently I don't see him as future champion and his last few races were terrible.

Prediction: Button will have 100 more points come the end of the season.

#32 showtime

showtime

• 3,032 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 22:12

It's going to be an interesting battle, specially if Perez doesn't try to do too much too soon.

#33 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 22:20

Wow. Judging by the comments, I'd say ahead of this season Button has everything to lose and Perez has everything to gain.

#34 PARAZAR

PARAZAR

• 2,206 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 22:22

I'm not making any predictions because after reading another Vs thread from 2010 I realised that predictions can be way off. Having said that it will be very interesting to see what Perez can do after saying that he'll be going for the championship which is what all drivers go for either way. As for Jenson, I know what he can do since I've been following him since he first entered F1 in 2000.

#35 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 5,304 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 22:26

I am sure some people will eat their words about Perez by the end of 2013

#36 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,824 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 22:35

Wow. Judging by the comments, I'd say ahead of this season Button has everything to lose and Perez has everything to gain.

I'd say that has a lot to do with how Sergio finished the season (contrasted to Button winning the last race). F1 fans often have short memories.

#37 Currahee

Currahee

• 595 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 22:43

I think they'll be quite evenly matched.

Perez will have a few silly mistakes while finding his feet at the beginning of the season but could quite easily get the upper hand towards the end of the season.

Button should edge it though.

#38 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 23:16

I still plan to pop my head into this thread as a McLaren fan, I hope for McLarens sake Perez isn't as bad has he has shown in the last 4-5 races otherwise Jenson will take him to the cleaners.

I predict a Jenson victory over the season with both drivers picking up race wins.

#39 BillBald

BillBald

• 5,818 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 23:58

This is a funny posting, a parody of what Lewis fans said about Jenson, but a bunch of people seem to have taken it seriously.

I think Jenson will win it anyway.

Advertisement

#40 SNiko

SNiko

• 1,079 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:08

Perez should be at least not worse than Button, even considering that MP4-28 is build for Button. If he would not be, than McLaren made a mistake when signed him.

#41 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:20

Perez is in my fold of 3, and what that means is that he is fast, smart, has an acceptable level of minding the rules of the road, and has the potential to be a WDC. Like Kimi and Seb, he has shown a keen ability to focus and a determination to win - so I had an eye on him from the start. Last season I collected him regularly into the fold and I have the expectation that he will be a stellar racer. I was not at all surprised when his name was being tossed around for major drives and I believe he will do famously at McLaren.

Every driver is distinct in style and their trajectory in F1 is equally distinct. He is still what I consider to be a rookie, so I expect mistakes and misjudgment - these things are normal and won't affect my opinion of his ability.

But the question is, how will he fare against Button? All things considered, new team, new direction, new circumstances - well only time will tell, but I do not believe that he either requires or desires "big brother Button". That said, Button is an execellent driver to learn from in many ways and Perez, as a young driver, would be nuts not to take advantage of that. Of course I don't want him to become Button II, but rather, take in those valuable lessons that Button can teach and adapt them to his style. Over the course of the next year, he can go far, and the sky is the limit as time goes on. Button is fairly easy to get on with from all appearances - he has his moments - but on the whole, he is not a master of kaos in the garage. Don't get me wrong, that can be a good thing as such a teammate can push a driver to succeed; however, it has its downsides too. We will see how that pans out.

It would not surprise me if he excelled over Button or visa versa. I don't think any excuses are needed (car developed for Button, Perez younger, etc.) - I think that we will see the development of yet another great driver in Perez and that is the only thing of any importance. Predictions of how close they would be are equally difficult to guess. But I am not at all unhappy with the idea of waiting and seeing what he will do in combination with a McLaren that is equal or better than Sauber's 'best' days for the most part.

Go Checo Go! :up:

Edited by bourbon, 13 December 2012 - 03:26.

#42 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 6,769 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:18

Checo clearly has the talent, but I think Button will be ahead of him next year. 2014 is where I expect him to excel. At the moment he's not fit enough, so a winter of training and spending a lot of time at the factory will be in order - it's going to be a challenge just to warm to the MAC way of doing things.

The one good thing is that both drivers have a similar style so engineering the car should be less complicated. I expect Button to challenge for the title, winning at least 4 or 5 races --- and Checo to gathers points and maybe a win.

#43 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,704 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:24

I can imagine a repeat of the Kimi/DC partnership. In 2002, DC scored more points than Kimi, who was still finding his feet at the team. But then Kimi had the upper hand in 2003-04. Though I generally rate Jenson a bit higher than DC and Sergio a bit lower than Kimi (at the moment) so it might not be such a dramatic difference by the time 2014 comes round.

#44 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:51

I'd say that has a lot to do with how Sergio finished the season (contrasted to Button winning the last race). F1 fans often have short memories.

Good point. Had Perez pulled his Malaysian drive out of the hat in the season finale and seriously challenged the race lead, people would expect it to be close. Like after the actual Malaysian GP it was said that Alonso wouldn't want Perez at Ferrari, because he is too fast as a team-mate.:p At the time Perez was still viewed as future Ferrari driver.

I wonder if Hulkenberg became Button's team-mate. How would people expect this battle to end on the back of Hulk's drive in Brazil?

#45 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 6,769 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:41

Good point. Had Perez pulled his Malaysian drive out of the hat in the season finale and seriously challenged the race lead, people would expect it to be close. Like after the actual Malaysian GP it was said that Alonso wouldn't want Perez at Ferrari, because he is too fast as a team-mate.:p At the time Perez was still viewed as future Ferrari driver.

I wonder if Hulkenberg became Button's team-mate. How would people expect this battle to end on the back of Hulk's drive in Brazil?

Hulk should have had the second seat at MAC.

#46 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,143 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 14:20

Perez went a bit banzai after he signed for McLaren so I don't really care about that, can factor it out.

#47 bub

bub

• 2,722 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 14:21

I think Button's experience and standing within the team will allow him to comfortably beat Perez. If Perez manages to get very close or beat Button I will be very impressed.

#48 Santosdf

Santosdf

• 267 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 18:18

I rate both drivers very high , I expect Button to dominate comfortably half the season, then Checo improves closing the gap, the real battle comes on 2014 with 1 more year of experience for Checo with Mclaren. I don't expect more than a few rookie mistakes from Checo.

#49 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 18:20

Hulk should have had the second seat at MAC.

Checo is 3 years younger, yet he has achieved more than Hulk in both or their respective careers.

#50 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 11,995 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 18:36

Checo is 3 years younger, yet he has achieved more than Hulk in both or their respective careers.

He's also had a better car