• Please log in to reply
270 replies to this topic

#1 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:35

5 Live F1 Producer ‏@5LiveF1
Just had an email saying Norbert Haug concludes his career as Head of Mercedes-Benz motorsport
12:32 PM - 13 Dec 12

Adam Cooper ‏@adamcooperf1
#F1 Norbert Haug is to leave Mercedes Benz. More power for Niki Lauda?
12:33 PM - 13 Dec 12 ·

Advertisement

#2 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 7,452 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:39

A very big surprise, but not entirely unexpected, Mercedes performances have not been great to say the least.

#3 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:39

Happy retirement Norbert :up:

He'll be missed next year that's for sure

#4 Hyatt

Hyatt

• 1,561 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:42

byebye Norbert, hopefully "a step in the right direction" for you ...

#5 LiJu914

LiJu914

• 2,375 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:43

To check off the fat joke:
They probably wanted to transfer 50% of their total budget from buffet to car development.

#6 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:44

Not good for LH ....

I was wondering yesterday exactly what it is that he does ....but remembered that he is in charge of more than just F1 ... but he does not seem to do anything specific in an F1 team (except maybe keep the Merc board on side).

This may be good news for the F1 team (....,one less cook in the kitchen).

Wonder if his replacement will play any part the F1 team?

#7 SUPRAF1

SUPRAF1

• 400 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:44

Eh, though I have great respect for Lauda, I don't think he's that good in these kinds of positions...

#8 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 980 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:46

Bye Norbert :well: . . .

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:46

from adam coopers blog ....

Norbert Haug is to leave Mercedes-Benz at the end of 2012 after 22 years as the company’s head of motorsport.

The company said that “his contract will come to an end by mutual agreement with the Board of Management. Preparations for the forthcoming season continue as planned.”
The news comes a few months after Niki Lauda was made chairman of the board of the AMG Mercedes F1 team, a move that appeared to weaken Haug’s position.

Former magazine editor Haug joined Mercedes in October 1990, when Mercedes was competing in the World Sportscar Championship with Sauber and Michael Schumacher.
Dr Dieter Zetsche, Head of Mercedes-Benz Cars and CEO of Daimler AG, said: “Norbert Haug was the face of the Mercedes-Benz Motorsport programme for more than 20 years. For me, he put his stamp on a whole era and, as a highlight, he was responsible for the successful comeback of the Silver Arrows to Formula One. In the name of the Board of Management and the whole motorsport family, I would like to thank Norbert for his extraordinary commitment to the three-pointed star.”

Haug added: “I would like to thank the best car company in the world for more than 22 years, which never had a single moment without passion for me. I particularly wish to thank the Board for the trust and freedom they have always given me with all my activities.

“Since 1991, we had tremendous achievements and wins, for which I want to thank all of my colleagues. Unfortunately, with one victory in 2012 since founding our own Formula One works team in 2010, we couldn’t fulfil our own expectations. However, we have taken the right steps to be successful in the future. Our team and our drivers will do everything to achieve these goals.”

#10 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,724 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:59

They did have a horrible year in F1 with the team and engines and in DTM.

#11 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 13:01

Insteresting to see that Haug found a necessity to specify that they did only win 1 under their own team after failing expectations. It's like Mercedes had given Norbert Haug 3 years to be successful, which obviously didn't materialize. I wonder a new 3-year spell with Lewis Hamilton is the final chance for Ross Brawn as well?

#12 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,825 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 13:05

Perhaps Kris Nissen will replace him.

#13 Beef Eater

Beef Eater

• 220 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 13:05

Michael Schumacher said he will consider some role in Mercedes. Now I know what he was talking about.

#14 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 13:07

They did have a horrible year in F1 with the team and engines and in DTM.

Yet he survived all the years, when Mercedes produced either smoking or underpowered engines in F1. Roughly a decade ago.

#15 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 13:10

I wonder if LH was aware this was on the cards. I thought part of his reasoning for moving to Merc was because of Haug.

#16 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,724 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 13:12

Yet he survived all the years, when Mercedes produced either smoking or underpowered engines in F1. Roughly a decade ago.

Sure, but it wasn't the Merc team and investment and in DTM they were trounced by a returnign BMW. Probably too much.

#17 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,825 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 13:14

Michael Schumacher said he will consider some role in Mercedes. Now I know what he was talking about.

No chance.

#18 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,510 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 13:14

I wonder if LH was aware this was on the cards. I thought part of his reasoning for moving to Merc was because of Haug.

): :evil:

#19 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 13:19

Lauda was one of the people who attracted him (it is said...) but I would be surprised if he expected Lauda to be in a position of real influence.... esp if Haug was going to "retire".

Advertisement

#20 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 13:22

Maybe it was decisions like this that delayed his choice, in my mind one of the reasons was that Haug was going to be at Mercedes :well:

#21 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 13:23

Lauda was one of the people who attracted him (it is said...) but I would be surprised if he expected Lauda to be in a position of real influence.... esp if Haug was going to "retire".

I'm sure read a comment from LH regarding Haug and their long relationship, whereas it was Lauda who said he attracted LH. My memory could be playing tricks though.

#22 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 13:25

I'm sure read a comment from LH regarding Haug and their long relationship, whereas it was Lauda who said he attracted LH. My memory could be playing tricks though.

I remember that too .... at which point I thought "bullshit"!

#23 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 13:34

Typical manufacturer politics from F1's last remaining manufacturer team?

Guess we'll see how his replacement does. For the sake of laffs I hope it's Lauda.

#24 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 2,629 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 13:38

Sad to see him go. He was one of the few bosses in F1 that when he spoke you believed him.
Mercedes just got a little bit weaker today.
Enjoy retirement NH.

#25 Velocifer

Velocifer

• 736 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 13:53

Surprising and sad news. :well: Top guy all round.

#26 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,096 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 13:59

Bye Bye Papa Bear. Kudos for the Mercedes engines.

#27 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 14:02

A very big surprise, but not entirely unexpected, Mercedes performances have not been great to say the least.

The team being top heavy could not go forward for too long in that configuration, thus this change is not totally big surprise; moreover, I suspect that's not the only change in foreseable future, and I expect more to come. F1 requires full time attention, and forthcoming technical changes in 2014 plus other duties must have taken toll on the man. I wish him well.

Edited by Sakae, 13 December 2012 - 15:32.

#28 ktrhe

ktrhe

• 91 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 14:10

bye bye Nobby!
The question is who will replace him?

#29 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,525 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 14:14

Sad to see him go. He was one of the few bosses in F1 that when he spoke you believed him.
Mercedes just got a little bit weaker today.
Enjoy retirement NH.

:lol:

You forget that fat journo slob was the one who was overseeing the flipping cars at LeMans.

#30 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 2,629 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 14:23

:lol:

You forget that fat journo slob was the one who was overseeing the flipping cars at LeMans.

You're way bitter about Mercedes.
Is there a reason for that?

#31 tarmac

tarmac

• 1,155 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 14:32

Niki Lauda probably destroyed hamiltons career

Lauda,Schumacher,Brawn,Hamilton this gonna be guut

#32 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 15:11

Not to mention the 40,000 technical directors.

#33 OSX

OSX

• 4,877 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 15:17

Whatever works...

#34 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,525 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 15:17

You're way bitter about Mercedes.
Is there a reason for that?

I'm tired of people blindly accepting what people involved with this team say.

In spite of all evidence to the contrary, that those running the team have no clue as to what they are doing, people blindly accept their word as gospel.

If Haug had any real idea as to what he was doing, this team wouldn't be what it is; a joke.

One down, one to go. I can only hope Ross gets fired next as he is as clueless as the fat journo was.

#35 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,525 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 15:18

Design by committee works wonders in engineering.

#36 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 15:30

I hardly think Haug had anything to do with it.

#37 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 15:42

Whatever works...

Indeed.

#38 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 15:49

This may be good news for the F1 team (....,one less cook in the kitchen).

Literally!

Nah, I'll miss Norbert. He's been one of the very few constant things in F1 since I started watching besides, well, Bernie and Charlie. He was always smiling and was quite positive and playful in his interviews. A nice guy for sure, and I hope he enjoys his retirement. :up:

#39 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 11,790 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 16:28

I always liked him. Good luck Norbert, and take care with the hoarse throat from now on :)

Advertisement

#40 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 16:34

Forced out, fired or voluntary retirement?

I think he was forced out and given the chance to leave with some dignity on his own terms.

#41 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,129 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 16:51

Oh come on. Enough with these Schumacher as team manager, Valentino Rossi as F1 driver BS suggestions.

#42 H0R

H0R

• 4,087 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 16:59

Out? This thing stinks. "Der Stern" blatantly claims Haug was sacked. The officially used Phrase" in mutual agreement" means exactly this, btw.

#43 rallye3

rallye3

• 72 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 17:13

I sensed that in the teams after race comments ( in the last four or so races) from Nico, Schumi, Brawn and Haug, that Haug's comments had generally become quite negative, almost as if he had lost interest. Maybe it's been on the cards for a while.

#44 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 17:14

For those who master German an interesting article on Haug in Die Welt

Lahme Silberpfeile kosten Norbert Haug den Job
http://www.welt.de/s...ug-den-Job.html?

#45 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,510 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 17:21

For those who master German an interesting article on Haug in Die Welt

Lahme Silberpfeile kosten Norbert Haug den Job
http://www.welt.de/s...ug-den-Job.html?

:up:

Google translation :p

Lame Silver Arrows cost Norbert Haug, the job
After 22 years, ending the era Haug, who suffered through the last unsuccessful Formula 1 Michael Schumacher's comeback severe scratches. Mercedes has Supervisory Niki Lauda already laid the groundwork. By Burkhard Nuppeney and Jens Bierschwale

Norbert Haug and Mercedes go separate ways

Norbert Haug is no longer sporting director of Mercedes. The contract with the 60-year-olds going to end resolved "by mutual consent", the group announced in Stuttgart on Thursday.

At the end was the chief pathetic words for his resignation. "I thank you for over 22 years with the best automotive brand in the world," said Norbert Haug. "This time no second without a passion for me was ready."

The unctuous words but presented on the day of its demise at Mercedes only half the story represents Haug, 60 years old and since 1990 in positions of responsibility for the Swabian car manufacturer must show because of what he gehuldigte world brand's most important market last failed : in 2009, announced euphoric comeback with his own team in Formula 1 including the return of the record world champion Michael Schumacher became a fiasco.

In stepping to challenge for the world title, the team managed by Haug only one Grand Prix victory by Nico Rosberg in April 2012 in Shanghai.

Otherwise oriented

Too little for the ambitious group that wants to separate by mutual consent from his years of champions. "Norbert Haug was over 20 years the face of motor sport activities of Mercedes-Benz He has played for me a whole era -. And the highlight of the successful return of the Silver Arrows responsible in Formula 1," said Daimler CEO Dieter Zetsche.

Long ago, however, Mercedes had oriented themselves differently in terms of executive boss. In autumn Niki Lauda was installed as chairman of the board of the Formula 1 teams, since there was virtually stable in four alpha animals, fighting for the share: Zetsche, Haug, Lauda and team boss Ross Brawn. The long run probably one too many, as it now was.

Lauda himself denied Thursday afternoon that he has something to do with the From Haug. "I'm totally surprised and had only now know. I'm very sorry, because I would like to continue working with Norbert," he told the television channel Sky. He had always maintained a good working relationship with private and Haug. After the shock Mercedes knows yet, "as the problem is solved. Norbert is the team missing completely, as he was for the Mercedes motorsport solely responsible," said Lauda.

32 DTM title by Haug

Haug also denied Thursday that Lauda potentially could have been driver of farewell. "I would just like to clarify strongly that it is a decision that the board and I have taken unanimously and jointly. Niki had absolutely nothing to do with it," said the 60-year-old. "We accept and respect us as over the years, and this will not change anything."

Last yet imagined Haug His own well positioned for the future. In his 60th Birthday three weeks ago, he said frankly that he was motivated entirely for the upcoming season and can not feel that he is weary. In parting, presented the former chief editor of the magazine "sport auto" again makes clear that "we have been establishing our own F1 works team since 2010 our own expectations meet with a victory in 2012 is not" could, "but the stage is set for success , and the team and our drivers will do everything to achieve this. " Haug will pursue but possibly even as a spectator, if his predictions are accurate.

The brand with the star loses to Michael Schumacher's career end a month ago, their second Motorsport face. Six Formula 1 World Champion title and 87 Grand Prix wins at least fall in Haug's responsibility - all achieved with other partners. In the German Touring Car Championship (DTM) Mercedes won 32 titles under Haugs responsibility. "We have gained a lot since 1991 and achieved a lot, and my gratitude to all my colleagues," he recognized.

Lauda held talks with Hamilton

Next year should now be much better in the Silver Arrows team. An estimated 200 million euros per season can cost the Stuttgart company's Formula 1 activities, and in 2013 they think they are with the new driver Lewis Hamilton again promising the race.

Negotiations with the former McLaren driver led from the UK last Lauda already successfully. The talks about the so-called Concorde Agreement between the International Automobile Federation, the various Formula 1 teams and the Formula One Administration responsible for the Mercedes already Austrians.

"No fear of boredom"

At the time by the power curb motorsport director Norbert Haug was obvious even if he wanted no part of it and laconically noted:. "We have no personality show if we can strengthen ourselves with skills, then that is wonderful and perfectly true self. must not stand on the podium. I can with a cup of tea View the list of winners, and if the correct name is at the top, then I have quite a lot of fun. "

Now the man who "worked 24 hours a day and always given 110 percent," according to industry insiders, probably shorter occur inevitably. "I have 22 years, Mercedes thought, felt, smelled. There was nothing else for me," Haug admitted on the day of his departure.

"Nevertheless, I have no fear of boredom. I'll have time for me, time for family and friends." And then there was still his favorite hobby - not the PS industry, but the rock and roll. Maybe, maybe, 'said Norbert Haug, there would be a band again in his life.

Edited by pinkypants, 13 December 2012 - 17:23.

#46 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,400 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 17:39

Oh come on. Enough with these Schumacher as team manager, Valentino Rossi as F1 driver BS suggestions.

Ross Brawn is still there so there is no vacancy for team principal. BTW, is there any clarity about how long Ross is signed up for? What exactly is Niki Lauda's position? Having Lauda involved seems unnecessary to me, and possibly risky. He has been in these positions before, but without success.

I would not be surprised if they had MS in some sort of operational role, but they can't let him get in the way. They really need to focus on Nico and Lewis.

#47 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 17:47

In his 22 years involvement, I'd say Norbert Haug has been a very succesful Mercedes-Benz motorsport director with big successes in DTM AND F1.
Those who are judging him with barely three years into Mercedes F1 team ownership have no sense of scale or history.

He has not been very healthy the last few years and it might do him good to take it easier.

#48 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 17:47

Gonna miss the fella, he was a class act
Only one who kept it classy during the 2007 Macca spy scandal :up:

My favorite Nobby moments are away from F1 though
It was when he was thrashing his 500SL as a side show before DTM or classic car events

#49 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,525 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 17:48

Ross Brawn is still there so there is no vacancy for team principal. BTW, is there any clarity about how long Ross is signed up for? What exactly is Niki Lauda's position? Having Lauda involved seems unnecessary to me, and possibly risky. He has been in these positions before, but without success.

I would not be surprised if they had MS in some sort of operational role, but they can't let him get in the way. They really need to focus on Nico and Lewis.

I guarantee you Ross will not see the 2014 season with Mercedes.

We've already seen what Lauda does when he had Bobby Rahal sacked at Jaguar.

Taking down Haug was the first step, Brawn will be the next target.

#50 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,400 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 17:49

In his 22 years involvement, I'd say Norbert Haug has been a very succesful Mercedes-Benz motorsport director with big successes in DTM AND F1.
Those who are judging him with barely three years into Mercedes F1 team ownership have no sense of scale or history.

He has not been very healthy the last few years and it might do him good to take it easier.

Yes, I would say he has a very positive career.

Is there anyone else at Mercedes who ever worked with Lewis?