Photo

'Racing Legends' - BBC2 - starting 27th December

• Please log in to reply
350 replies to this topic

#301 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 13:32

What Regga said. Twas ever thus - each generation discovers the rules of the game and thinks they are new rules. They're not. Good luck.

Advertisement

#302 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,173 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 13:47

I wonder, somewhat cynically, if the presenters go through the same hoops to get on, as you, Steve mentioned to get a programme made?

No!! I went the "normal" route, runner, production assistant, researcher (which was why I was employed originally), and usually, assuming you have clue, you went on to present. Now I actually never chased being in front of the camera, but have done it, and if it pays the bills.... But the tendency now is employ someone who is currently well known, or puts a slant on it (pretty and can talk science) and they are in. So we get the likes of an ex model telling us how to cook, and ex hospital radio DJ, telling us how to drive (and what) and the wife of a disgraced MP telling us how to decorate. The correct way to TV stardom now, gain notoriety, cancel any talent and go for it (or have a friend that works for the company).

I wondered if there is a "Jazz Hands" school of presenting, they all seem to go to it!! :smoking:

#303 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,225 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 13:59

I do have to wonder who that tousle-haired tw*t [fill in vowel according to taste] who presented what should have been (but wasn't) a fascinating programme on the discovery of Richard III's grave is sleeping with, since he had neither presentational skills nor - as far as I could ascertain - any real historical knowledge ...

#304 mfd

mfd

• 2,885 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 14:38

I do have to wonder who that tousle-haired tw*t [fill in vowel according to taste] who presented what should have been (but wasn't) a fascinating programme on the discovery of Richard III's grave is sleeping with, since he had neither presentational skills nor - as far as I could ascertain - any real historical knowledge ...

I'd agree but sometimes the subject is so interesting the presenter becomes a small problem. It also echoes my original suggestion to Steve - What on earth do some of the presenters do, that warrants their selection? In this chap's case he was obviously good at saying to the lady "you seem a bit upset" & then offering the appropriate soothing tones or shoulder to cry on.

#305 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,225 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 14:56

I gather he is one of the presenters of "Horrible Histories" - more Bluepeterisation? - but surely they could have found a real Plantaganet historian who could have offered both a shoulder and an expert commentary?

Just my two penn'orth  ;)

Edited by Vitesse2, 05 February 2013 - 14:57.

#306 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,173 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 15:12

To those that select these people, he sounds over qualified......................

#307 mfd

mfd

• 2,885 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 15:39

but surely they could have found a real Plantaganet historian who could have offered both a shoulder and an expert commentary?

Funnily enough the programme was followed on another channel by David Starkey & "Monarchy" and the same period in history, but with the unrevised version of Richard III

#308 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 16:11

Funnily enough the programme was followed on another channel by David Starkey & "Monarchy" and the same period in history, but with the unrevised version of Richard III

I saw both and it was interesting : The first (most recent) programme left one feeling all pround and rather comfortable in the knowledge that Richard III was really a handsome, decent bloke who died like a warrior hero in battle, despite a curved spine, and had been cruelly misrepresented by those nasty Tudor history-revisionsistas.... and Shakespeare (boo!)

...then you got Dr Starkey telling us what a truly bloody-thirsty bunch of bar-stewards those Yorkists and Lancastrians really were and how Richard III himself had probably killed two legitimate kings with his own hands on his path to power!

But at least you could then remind yourself of the saying "history is a lie that has been agreed upon" and make up your own mind. It was entertaining!

But was that presenter really Alexander Armstrong in a frizzy wig? I think we should be told :cool:

#309 DogEarred

DogEarred

• 440 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 16:30

When I first heard that they had found a skeleton with a curved spine, I had a hunch it was him.

#310 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 1,698 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 16:38

I gather he is one of the presenters of "Horrible Histories" - more Bluepeterisation? - but surely they could have found a real Plantaganet historian who could have offered both a shoulder and an expert commentary?

Just my two penn'orth ;)

No surprise really is it?

#311 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,225 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 16:42

When I first heard that they had found a skeleton with a curved spine, I had a hunch it was him.

A hearse! A hearse! My Kingdom for a hearse!

/ducks

#312 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 18:28

You and V2, what are you like! :)

#313 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,188 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 19:46

Leicester Council have a pretty extreme policy for anyone who overstays in one of their car parks.

#314 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 20:25

Leicester Council have a pretty extreme policy for anyone who overstays in one of their car parks.

But he is a Champion !!!

Posted Image

PAR

#315 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,225 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 20:57

Posted Image

#316 Marticelli

Marticelli

• 281 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 22:20

I had always assumed he would have qualified for a blue free parking badge as a disabled driver!!

Marticelli

#317 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,225 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 22:28

I had always assumed he would have qualified for a blue free parking badge as a disabled driver!!

Marticelli

They wouldn't let him have one. That's why he got the hump!

/ducks, grabs coat and tin hat, runs for door ...

#318 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:03

Now lookee here. When I post stuff like that I get told off...

#319 DogEarred

DogEarred

• 440 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:31

Don't know what all the fuss is about actually.
Our local council car park is FULL of Richard the Thirds. And worse...

Advertisement

#320 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 13:13

I would agree with that, having just spent an 'enjoyable' hour composing a letter and printing photographs to try to avoid paying a parking fine when I had bought a ticket and was back before it expired.

#321 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 13:16

Ah, just realised you probably mean the genuine article rather that the two-legged variety that conspire to make life a misery and halt trade in its tracks.

#322 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 641 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 15:14

Just my two penn'orth ;)

I feel I must defend Horrible Histories. It has its place as something that inspires schoolchildren to become interested in the past. Plus, some of the writing on it is very good.

I would have no problem with a "Horrible Histories Excavates Richard III" show - it seems that the offering under discussion was neither one thing nor another.

#323 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,173 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 16:40

I feel I must defend Horrible Histories. It has its place as something that inspires schoolchildren to become interested in the past. Plus, some of the writing on it is very good.

I would have no problem with a "Horrible Histories Excavates Richard III" show - it seems that the offering under discussion was neither one thing nor another.

Yes but I'm 52............

#324 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 641 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 17:35

Yes but I'm 52............

That was my point, really. If they were going to make a HH-style programme, it should have been marketed as such so that those who wanted to watch it, could, and those who didn't, could watch something else, or come on here for an enjoyable half-hour of dark muttering!

#325 Garagiste

Garagiste

• 3,795 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 21:55

Indeed, an odd choice of host, but I'd also add that age is no barrier to enjoying HH which is - especially by the standards of contemporary children's TV -superb.
Much of it is aimed at the parents and grandparents watching with the kids, I'm quite sure the core target audience don't know who the Monkees or Kate Bush are.

#326 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 22:46

... I'm quite sure the core target audience don't know who the Monkees or Kate Bush are.

I've noticed this sort of aberration in chidren's programmes - I feel sure that this happens when 'elderly' (relatively) writers and producers can't be arsed to check what music and TV is of interest to the target audience. Either that or it is a 40-year-old repeat...

Er - who is Kate Bush?

#327 Garagiste

Garagiste

• 3,795 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 23:21

She's one of these modern "pop" singers, from 35 years ago.;)
I'm sure you're right that it's laziness in a lot of cases, but HH is full of stuff that works at one level for the kids but has a subtlety that can only be appreciated by the more mature viewer. I find it hilarious and I'm not at all ashamed to have learned a few things from it.

#328 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,188 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 23:38

Er - who is Kate Bush?

One in the hand is worth two in Kate Bush.

She's one of a short list of 'singers' I dislike so much that I sometimes trip rushing to turn the radio off when I hear her. Bjork is another, also Steeleye Span, Peter Sarstedt and The Kings' Singers. I'm not suggesting we start one, but we could have a lengthy thread on 'Musicians we Hate'. Finding an allowable nostalgic motor sport connection would be the difficult part though.

#329 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 23:58

Well, I was of course, pretending not to know who Kate Bush is (comic effect, but without much comedy, I admit) and although Wuthering Heights is a bit screechy, I've always like Running up that Hill, and a couple of others. I wasn't attacking HH specifically, although I am perfectly suited to do so, having never seen it, but I was reminded of programmes that I watched with my children when they were small, and some of the chosen references were bizarre.

#330 john aston

john aston

• 818 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:57

Both Bjork and Kate Bush produce sublime music; not for all but the good stuff never was...

#331 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,814 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:15

Both Bjork and Kate Bush produce sublime music; not for all but the good stuff never was...

A man after my own heart :up:

#332 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,294 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:16

Indeed, an odd choice of host, but I'd also add that age is no barrier to enjoying HH which is - especially by the standards of contemporary children's TV -superb.

You could take out the word "children's" and you wouldn't be far wrong.

#333 Glengavel

Glengavel

• 521 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:34

She's one of a short list of 'singers' I dislike so much that I sometimes trip rushing to turn the radio off when I hear her. Bjork is another, also Steeleye Span, Peter Sarstedt and The Kings' Singers. I'm not suggesting we start one, but we could have a lengthy thread on 'Musicians we Hate'. Finding an allowable nostalgic motor sport connection would be the difficult part though.

Dissing (as the young people say) Kate Bush? You cad.

I can link 'Musicians we Hate' with a nostalgic motor sport connection - R*bb** W*ll**ms (can't bring myself to type his name) incorporated footage of JYS into one of his videos. Although, calling RW (spit) a 'musician' is stretching it a bit.

A man after my own heart :up:

And mine.

#334 RTH

RTH

• 5,733 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:43

Anyone seen those two (out of 3) 1 hr programmes on the music album, 9.00-10.00pm BBC4 - Great Album Showdown.
Not previously been a great Danny Baker fan but - well , really interesting and Kate Bush got a substantial mention last night .

Watch here on i-Player

http://www.bbc.co.uk...File_under_Pop/

Edited by RTH, 07 February 2013 - 10:47.

#335 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:51

I have two Bjork CDs but no Kate Bush, but as I said, I like a lot of what she did. I'm all for originality, and KB was/is an original.

... Steeleye Span, Peter Sarstedt and The Kings' Singers.

I would go along with that. Steeleye Span, well, sometimes I think, yeah, OK, but a bit too 'Genuine Folk' for me, I just get an image of someone with a beard, usually male, singing with a finger in one ear. The ear next to the Nothumbrian Pipes or the accordian. The Kings' Singers - elocution lessons to music. They used to pop up on all sorts of TV shows from current affairs to the news, via the God slot, in the days when a remote was a rareity so you had to crawl across the carpet to change channels, ASAP.

#336 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 641 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 16:06

She's one of these modern "pop" singers, from 35 years ago.;)
I'm sure you're right that it's laziness in a lot of cases, but HH is full of stuff that works at one level for the kids but has a subtlety that can only be appreciated by the more mature viewer. I find it hilarious and I'm not at all ashamed to have learned a few things from it.

I wonder if they would ever do a HH about Brooklands? It could work, you know.

Must also add my ten penn'orth as a Kate Bush fan.

#337 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,671 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 17:10

Must also add my ten penn'orth as a Kate Bush fan.

I've just been searching i-player for the Racing Legends episodes presented by Kate Bush and the Monkees with out any luck, did I miss something ?

#338 DogEarred

DogEarred

• 440 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 18:03

"A bird in the Strand is worth two in Shepherds Bush"

So I found...

#339 paulhooft

paulhooft

• 873 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 18:47

I can watch BBC1 to BBC4 here in the Netherlands :clap: everyday,
and see a lot of BBC 4 Program's each evening :up:
But the I-player does not work for me as I am outside of Great Britain!!!: :down:
Some kind of very strange reverse engineering??? :rotfl:
Paul Hooft,
Netherlands

I've just been searching i-player for the Racing Legends episodes presented by Kate Bush and the Monkees with out any luck, did I miss something ?

Edited by paulhooft, 07 February 2013 - 18:48.

Advertisement

#340 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,814 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 18:50

Kate Bush, a Bexleyheath lady, discovered by a certain D.Gilmour, he knows a thing or two about making records :cool:

#341 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 19:44

Anyone seen those two (out of 3) 1 hr programmes on the music album, 9.00-10.00pm BBC4 - Great Album Showdown.
Not previously been a great Danny Baker fan but - well , really interesting and Kate Bush got a substantial mention last night .

I saw the first one Richard, Danny Baker pontificated a bit less than in the past but the big surprise was how muted Jeremy Clarckson was! But then it wasn't his programme... I thought it was quite interesting, I'll check out Part Two, it was probably better, most shows of this type need to find their feet.

#342 BRG

BRG

• 11,572 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 20:16

Kate Bush, a Bexleyheath lady, discovered by a certain D.Gilmour, he knows a thing or two about making records :cool:

And his band-mate Mr Mason knows a thing or two about racing cars...to bring it all back on (or at least near) topic.

#343 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,361 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 20:56

......... discovered by a certain D.Gilmour, he knows a thing or two about making records :cool:

... and he co-drove a C-type in the Carrera Panamerica...

Is this the Blood Pressure thread?

#344 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,814 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 21:10

And his band-mate Mr Mason knows a thing or two about racing cars...to bring it all back on (or at least near) topic.

I has been waaaay off topic for pages ! :lol:

#345 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,049 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 21:27

To be even more boring and bring it right back on topic. Have the BBC plans for any more? Who could be the subject? He (or she?) has to be British and known: Mike Hawthorn (with his private life), James Hunt (ditto), Donald Campbell (ditto), Jim Clark, Graham Hill (both unlikely as Paul Stewart did them), Paddy Hopkirk, John Watson, Nigel mansell, or to be different how about Pat Moss-Carlsson. And the celebrity presenter I leave to the BBC.

#346 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 641 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 22:20

James Hunt has been quite thoroughly documented, although that film that's coming out this year will stir up interest.

I would love to see a Pat Moss-Carlsson film. There must be some cracking footage around, and if the same format is used, we would get to see someone charging up mountains in a big Healey. Pat was quite a private lady, but the personal stuff I have read about her gives glimpses of someone quite fiery, but very funny and likeable. I can't think of a likely or suitable celebrity mouthpiece, but an older female presence would be suitable, I think.

#347 AAGR

AAGR

• 205 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:08

James Hunt has been quite thoroughly documented, although that film that's coming out this year will stir up interest.

I would love to see a Pat Moss-Carlsson film. There must be some cracking footage around, and if the same format is used, we would get to see someone charging up mountains in a big Healey. Pat was quite a private lady, but the personal stuff I have read about her gives glimpses of someone quite fiery, but very funny and likeable. I can't think of a likely or suitable celebrity mouthpiece, but an older female presence would be suitable, I think.

Fascinating - and what better 'celebrity mouthpiece' than Stirling .... ?

AAGR

#348 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,127 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:09

I would love to see a Pat Moss-Carlsson film.
I can't think of a likely or suitable celebrity mouthpiece, but an older female presence would be suitable, I think.

But please, please NOT Ann Widdie, despite somewhat similar build.

#349 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 1,900 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:54

I can watch BBC1 to BBC4 here in the Netherlands :clap: everyday,
and see a lot of BBC 4 Program's each evening :up:
But the I-player does not work for me as I am outside of Great Britain!!!: :down:
Some kind of very strange reverse engineering??? :rotfl:
Paul Hooft,
Netherlands

Paul
It is the same in Belgium, we pay to receive those channels but the BBC say that iPlayer is only available within the UK for licensing reasons.
But there is an option to pay for iPlayer on an iPad if you have an iPad and the iPlayer app installed.
Or you could try something called expatshield which I haven't tried but apparently works and is free, which would also allow you to access the other channels equivalents like itvplayer and 4ondemand.
Peter

#350 RTH

RTH

• 5,733 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:58

I would love to see a Pat Moss-Carlsson film. There must be some cracking footage around, and if the same format is used, we would get to see someone charging up mountains in a big Healey. Pat was quite a private lady, but the personal stuff I have read about her gives glimpses of someone quite fiery, but very funny and likeable.

Stuart Turner would be ideal to tell the story
His excellent book on Pat I can recommend

http://www.amazon.co.....tripbooks,256