* * * * - 24 votes

Ferrari F138: the race car

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4023 replies to this topic

#751 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 1,184 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 18:36

2 interesting pix from Jerez (source AMuS)

http://img2.auto-mot...6a8b-659663.jpg
Posted Image

http://img4.auto-mot...574a-659661.jpg
Posted Image

Very interesting.

Advertisement

#752 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,439 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 18:37

The first one is probably the new cocpit cooling and the second one some mug instead of flow vis paint? But what is the read thing next to the exhaust outlet?

Edited by jstrains, 06 February 2013 - 18:38.

#753 Goron3

Goron3

• 550 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 18:40

I think you will find they are not bothered about lap times any time it is clear they cannot achieve them. At any rate, search last year's press releases and you will find the same, word for word.

Huh? Of course they can't achieve the times of the Macca with the car they are using in testing as it is nowhere close to being the race car that will be used in Melbourne. As confirmed at launch, the car they doing their tyre evaluations with is a car that was put together in November.

The reason they aren't bothered about lap times is because the Aussie GP is weeks away and the car that will race there (and test in Barcalona) has little in common with the one they are using now, hence why Alonso isn't showing up. All teams up and down the paddock will be doing this, to varying degrees ofc.

#754 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 1,184 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 18:40

The first one is probably the new cocpit cooling and the second one some mug instead of flow vis paint? But what is the red thing next to the exhaust outlet?

A towel ; )

#755 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,853 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 18:43

Why? If no-one ever gave their opinion ... I doubt there would be much left of this forum. I simply said I am starting to see the writing on the wall. I'm not trolling, I believe that. Most of you would be happy if we reached Melbourne 0.5 off the pace it seems. I would be really pissed off.

You have to be realistic man. Ferrari finished last season some 8 tenths off the pace... With very small rule changes were you honestly expecting them to leap frog the competition?

If Ferrari are 5 tenths off the fastest in Melbourne quali I will take that. If they are 3 tenths or less I will be elated! Should they be fastest I will stand on my head and blow God save the queen through my arsehole.

I think you're the one being unreasonable with your expectations.

#756 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,869 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 18:45

The first one is probably the new cocpit cooling and the second one some mug instead of flow vis paint? But what is the read thing next to the exhaust outlet?

I believe second one is from fire extinguisher

#757 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,439 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 18:46

A towel ; )

Oh probably not to get burned when pushing the car to the garage. Here a nice shot of Felipe in the last sunshine

http://f1grandprix.m...13_02_06_13.jpg
Posted Image

#758 Abranet

Abranet

• 113 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 18:47

I'll admit to hoping for a bit more pace wise from today. Through the day I found myself beginning to think it all felt a bit similar to last year, similar as in being behind a few teams but this time we don't seem to have a car with any serious flaws. It seems like a solid car, maybe just not fast enough yet. At the end of the day if you could do the times you would, or at least be in the ball park.

However, we were in a title fight till the end last season and Fry has said there are big changes to come from the tunnel. I would much rather be in the position we are in now than compared to this time last year. We have a good car, the best driver and team.

As long as the new package delivers then we have no reason not to believe we will fight for the title this year.

#759 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,415 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 18:48

If Ferrari are 5 tenths off the fastest in Melbourne quali I will take that. If they are 3 tenths or less I will be elated! Should they be fastest I will stand on my head and blow God save the queen through my arsehole.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

My expectations are pretty much in line with yours.

Advertisement

#760 Goron3

Goron3

• 550 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 18:49

You have to be realistic man. Ferrari finished last season some 8 tenths off the pace... With very small rule changes were you honestly expecting them to leap frog the competition?

Yup, spot on. There were problems with last years car and they clearly done their best to eliminate them. As long as the car is reliable, even if we are a few tenths slower in qualy trim, I expect to see Alonso fight for the championship.

Let's not forget that he has been fantastic on these Pirelli tyres so far and the DRS ban in qualy should also bring us closer to RB and Macca.

#761 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,853 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 18:49

I believe second one is from fire extinguisher

Looks like flowvis to me. A fire extinguisher wouldn't be as concentrated as it would have stained more of the suspension me thinks.

#762 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,869 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 18:57

Looks like flowvis to me. A fire extinguisher wouldn't be as concentrated as it would have stained more of the suspension me thinks.

flovis should... well visualise the air flow... And it looks to me like a short, concentrated burst of extinguisher on a hot surface after the car came to pits.

#763 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,853 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 19:18

flovis should... well visualise the air flow... And it looks to me like a short, concentrated burst of extinguisher on a hot surface after the car came to pits.

You can see the flow, although not really good, as well as pieces of rubber on top of the paint. I think Ferrari extinguishing a fire would have been big news in the paddock.

#764 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 19:19

Well I don't want to interrupt your worship sessions, but I happen to believe you can be a fan without the blind trust and that you can criticise and chastise when needed. Frankly, it aggravates me to hear the same things from Ferrari year after year... only to hear the same excuses soon thereafter, year after year. At some point you really would like them to get a grip.

As for me not supporting Ferrari... I have been a Ferrari fan ever since I saw my first race in Monaco, in 1982. I just don't feel I need to prove that by consistently posting about how wonderful they are for some reason - especially when I feel they are not. Go figure.

Praise when praise is due, criticism when criticism is due. Its rather simple really.

Or you can worship of course, each to their own.

So you want to criticize Ferrari for collecting data during testing instead of doing glory laps?

#765 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 20:25

Posted Image

Ferrari nose is bulky compared to RB9.

But so does the fast FI.

#766 Tuxy

Tuxy

• 948 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 20:51

Posted Image

But so does the fast FI.

I don't understand. The nose of the Ferrari looks too high to be legal.

#767 rsaca

rsaca

• 330 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 20:57

It's really sad people freaking out in the second day of testing when Massa has said they have a solid base to work with compared to the F2012.

This is the point of testing, getting the data correlation right first and foremost, in order to avoid all the windtunnel issues we had last year. Then, getting right the optimal exhaust configuration, and Massa did also say it has better traction and a much more stable rear than last year's car.

Lotus topped the timesheets last year and what did it do to them?

Qualifying is where times matter... There's a reason it's called TESTING

#768 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 21:39

Posted Image

But so does the fast FI.

Not only that. The RB9 looks a lot smaller than the F138

#769 AyrtonSauna

AyrtonSauna

• 425 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 21:45

If you look at the the long runs of 10,12 or more laps.Massa had by far the fastest average lap time.No other team got anywhere near Massa's pace on these longer runs.

It's only testing though.

#770 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,901 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 21:49

If you look at the the long runs of 10,12 or more laps.Massa had by far the fastest average lap time.No other team got anywhere near Massa's pace on these longer runs.

It's only testing though.

Interesting that that is overlooked when using headline times to say that Ferrari is awful. :cat:
He was the only guy lapping in 1:21-1:22s while others were 1:24-1:25s

#771 Arry2k

Arry2k

• 355 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 21:52

Don't really know. Do you think it will seperate the air from the exhaust gases as well?

Not sure either tbh. When I saw the Caterham exhaust I assumed that what they are trying to do is to further influence the exhaust plume to follow the coanda ramp by simply directing it using that aerofoil, thereby increasing the sealing effect at the diffuser.

It is much harder to see from the photos on that link the size, angle or profile of the Ferrari exhaust so not sure.

But then, like you, I am no aerodynamicist.

#772 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 21:53

Interesting that that is overlooked when using headline times to say that Ferrari is awful. :cat:

That's a difference that you can't explain by car peformance, only by fuel loads

#773 AyrtonSauna

AyrtonSauna

• 425 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 21:55

Yeah Scud,and the long run pace is one thing that's more indicative in testing aswell as the handling.

#774 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,901 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 22:03

That's a difference that you can't explain by car peformance, only by fuel loads

Of course. I'm not implying the F138 is 2 seconds a lap faster, but it would also be wrong to say it is 2 seconds a lap slower based on headline times.
Times mean nothing, the good and the bad, but it seems some do overlook some facts and magnify others to suit their points, which is what I was talking about.

#775 motorhead

motorhead

• 875 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 22:23

Posted Image

But so does the fast FI.

Funny how the semantics works, but RBR "looks" like a car built for downforce and ferrari is looking like it will be airbourne in any minute.

#776 monacogp

monacogp

• 76 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 22:28

The fact that with a 15 degree air temperature Ferrari is needing cooling slits is rather worrying. One wonders what they will do come Sepang. Having said that, it probably is just a case of optimising the cooling system. At any rate, I am quite pleased to have these heating problems because they are due to a very aggressive, slim rear end. Red Bull has been praised, and rightly so for how slim their rear end is, and we have gone and bettered them in that department, as the following picture shows:

Posted Image

This is the kind of pursuit that has been absent in the past 5 years, through being far too conservative. Great job there, and I'll take the teething problems with no complaints.

#777 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 22:37

I guess it is dejavu from last year pre-season test threads doom and gloom.

Seriously, pressure on Ferrari so they scrap the much needed data so they will run glory-laps to beat Grosjean test time seem quite ridiculous.

Massa already said the F138 is leaps ahead of the F2012.

Massa said that this car is in a better place compared to F2012 at this point last year, not compared to the car at the end of the season.

#778 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 23:20

Massa said that this car is in a better place compared to F2012 at this point last year, not compared to the car at the end of the season.

Nobody here is talking on how the F138 compares to the F2012 Brazil spec

#779 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 23:59

The fact that with a 15 degree air temperature Ferrari is needing cooling slits is rather worrying. One wonders what they will do come Sepang. Having said that, it probably is just a case of optimising the cooling system. At any rate, I am quite pleased to have these heating problems because they are due to a very aggressive, slim rear end. Red Bull has been praised, and rightly so for how slim their rear end is, and we have gone and bettered them in that department, as the following picture shows:

Posted Image

This is the kind of pursuit that has been absent in the past 5 years, through being far too conservative. Great job there, and I'll take the teething problems with no complaints.

Will Ferrari introduces Red Bull like rear-end exhaust design? Meaning will it reach the floor, is it the reason as to why the rear end of the Ferrari is not as stable as Red Bulls? If so, why should Ferrari do keep it till Barcelona??

Advertisement

#780 HPT

HPT

• 1,155 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 00:10

This is what Edd Straw observed at trackside:

Perhaps the biggest difference between day one at Jerez between last year and this was with Ferrari.

Felipe Massa has already talked up the car and the evidence on track supports him. In 2012, getting the car from turn in to the apex was a pretty frustrating and inconsistent experience, but on Tuesday the Brazilian had a car under him that showed none of the more troublesome vices of its predecessor in the early running.

From autosport.com

#781 currupipi

currupipi

• 1,187 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:13

really hope we have a strong car to start the season, dont want to go thru the same again.

the car looks way better this year, doesnt mean it is any better but at least it is not ugly.
I think we are going to have to wait until barcelona before we are able to form an opinion about this car, fingers crossed they got it right this year.

#782 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 3,460 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:30

The differences between fastest times could also be explained by fuel loads.

Also, it was mentioned that Massa often drove down the straight at constant speed. ie not as fast as he could. This is for aero checking.

#783 Cacarella

Cacarella

• 416 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:36

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that judging by that side by side of Felipe and Mark, Ferrari are doing zero set up work and are definitely not chasing
any time during this test. Look at how high the Ferrari is running from the ground with absolutely no rake, you can see a considerable difference in the distance between the ground and the front wing. I can't wait till they dial this baby in, I'm hoping it'll be consistently near the top of the time-sheets.

BTW, I'm glad they're having cooling issues, it means they're pushing the limits. They'll fix it and have a better car for it.

Edited by Cacarella, 07 February 2013 - 02:37.

#784 rsaca

rsaca

• 330 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:27

Good observation... It does look significantly higher than the RB. I'm curious to see what De La Rosa says about the car and the correlation with the simulator.

Your Goldust picture really creeped me out!!! Haha I forgot about that maniac!!!

#785 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,452 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:23

Straight from the horse mouth.

The Scuderia engineers are not bothered about lap times, preferring to concentrate on getting on with items on the job sheet, so as to plan the work for the remaining two days, with the Brazilian again at the wheel tomorrow.

http://www.ferrari.c...k-in-jerez.aspx

#786 Talisker

Talisker

• 273 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:51

Isnt the high nose on the Ferrari the result of a vanity panel? i.e. the end of the nose must be no higher than a set amount, but you can construct an additional piece to go on top made of camembert or something similarly soft and non threatening. Red Bull have chosen not to do that so all you see is the low nose as last year.

#787 Reinmuster

Reinmuster

• 643 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:57

Yeah but why it looks so bulky and higher? Aero gains?

#788 Wingcommander

Wingcommander

• 674 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:40

Posted Image

But so does the fast FI.

The Ferrari looks like a bulldozer.

#789 bernardv

bernardv

• 121 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:02

Posted Image

But so does the fast FI.

The nose is the only innovative part of the car so far, others are likely to copy it but I think it is also one of the least important parts. Most of the car seems 2012 spec. If they will keep up this trend from 2nd half of the 2012 season of just developing front and rear wing and nothing in between, 2013 won't be much to look forward to.

#790 JazH

JazH

• 382 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:30

People in this thread need to get a grip.

It's the first test, we do not know anything about the reliability of our car or other people's cars. We don't really know about the pace of the other cars. No one is running with a full package yet.

Lets wait and see what happens.

#791 jonathanknevels

jonathanknevels

• 205 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:41

anyone heard something about the correlation between de cologne tunnel and track ?
Hopefully this year it's much better than last years so we are certain the upgrades will work 100%

#792 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,662 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:50

anyone heard something about the correlation between de cologne tunnel and track ?
Hopefully this year it's much better than last years so we are certain the upgrades will work 100%

Upgrades will never work 100%, and the team can never be certain, but otherwise yeah, I hope their correlation is workable. They haven't said anything about it yet, though.

#793 Goron3

Goron3

• 550 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:53

The nose is the only innovative part of the car so far, others are likely to copy it but I think it is also one of the least important parts. Most of the car seems 2012 spec. If they will keep up this trend from 2nd half of the 2012 season of just developing front and rear wing and nothing in between, 2013 won't be much to look forward to.

Again, this isn't the race car. It was put together in November and the car in Australia will be months ahead of this in terms of updates.

#794 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,452 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:55

Probably they are waiting to have all the info of the first test to make a full report.

#795 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,488 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:56

Maybe those front wing hangers are deemed as part of the nose? This high nose looks ugle from front, but nice from rear side perspective.

#796 Dino Scuderia

Dino Scuderia

• 212 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:03

you can't compare using that photo as its at an angle and the cars are not in line with each other, plus god knows what lens the photographer was using, could be a fish eye as well so...

Edited by Dino Scuderia, 07 February 2013 - 09:04.

#797 oetzi

oetzi

• 2,924 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:16

This. :up: Fire Fry? 2013 is already lost? You Chicken Little lot are comical.

:lol: :up:

#798 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,853 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:24

Upgrades will never work 100%, and the team can never be certain, but otherwise yeah, I hope their correlation is workable. They haven't said anything about it yet, though.

Would like to hear what Pedro has to say after tomorrow's run.

#799 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:31

You could say: I do not understand why the front wingof Red bulis so low, if they were to respect the regulation as it is written...

Advertisement

#800 oetzi

oetzi

• 2,924 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:37

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that judging by that side by side of Felipe and Mark, Ferrari are doing zero set up work and are definitely not chasing
any time during this test. Look at how high the Ferrari is running from the ground with absolutely no rake, you can see a considerable difference in the distance between the ground and the front wing.

:up: