* * * * - 24 votes

Ferrari F138: the race car

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4023 replies to this topic

#51 ATM_Andy

ATM_Andy

• 1,482 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 20:59

Does the cover on the nose cone have to be solid? Or could it be used like the 2008 wing we used? With the hollow curve inside.

No it's wafer thin and has to ad-hear to a specific build.

Advertisement

#52 Iridescent

Iridescent

• 347 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 21:29

25 days til launch and shakedown, excited?

#53 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,955 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 22:21

So Autosprint were right? :D

Forgive my apprehension, but this year I will not let myself get excited at all until I see it set quick ish times from the get go and look very good while doing so on track at Jerez.

#54 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,459 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 00:36

Ridiculously excited!!

#55 kissTheApex

kissTheApex

• 241 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:33

very much so!

Please tell us the new car won't have the "vanity" nose cone attachment, unless of course it comes with an aerodynamic advantage.

Edited by kissTheApex, 09 January 2013 - 01:49.

#56 oetzi

oetzi

• 3,049 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:59

Should we be?

Happy New Year to all btw :wave:

#57 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:36

In retrospect, I might be slightly over reacting.

I presume this is what the cross section might look like. The red lines indicated attachment points. While the lower part of the nose is obviously load bearing, the step cover is not allowed to be load bearing.

Posted Image

Personally I think we will see a larger area, similar to the 2012 cars, used to attached the nose cones. This could look a bit like the step-up if the cover is removed. From an engineering point of view I see no problem at all at getting the cover secure even with F1 pushing hard at the limits.

Edited by H2H, 09 January 2013 - 12:36.

#58 Iridescent

Iridescent

• 347 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 20:29

Should we be?

Certainly, all are! Especially Fabio since it's his first year as deputy chief designer along with Nick. Still keeping feet on the ground and would not assess performance prior it hits the track, maybe not even before the first European race. Consistency and reliability matter equally as much as speed and overal development potential.

#59 quasi C

quasi C

• 2,068 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 21:50

Just wondering why the latest updates were sub-par even though they were fully developed in the cologne tunnel. Can't really be confident about the 664 until they can be sure they are getting good results from the tunnel/s. At least expectations are a lot lower than at this point last year!

Advertisement

#60 oetzi

oetzi

• 3,049 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:44

Certainly, all are! Especially Fabio since it's his first year as deputy chief designer along with Nick. Still keeping feet on the ground and would not assess performance prior it hits the track, maybe not even before the first European race. Consistency and reliability matter equally as much as speed and overal development potential.

Keeping your powder dry, I see! :cat:

It's always exciting when a new thing you've created is about to see the light of day. Must be even more so when you have the resources and expectation that come with being Ferrari. Millions of people round the world will be waiting for their first look, and then critiquing what you've made before you even know quite what it can do. Must be entertaining, particularly as by the time the criticism's out, what they're criticising probably won't ever exist in the same form again.

I read this a bit ago:

As regards the design, we have decided, particularly in light of the unusual demands we will face in 2013, when we will have a completely new project to work on for the future, to have two coordinators: Simone Resta, an engineer who has developed his career in Maranello and is very effective, will work on the 2013 car and Fabio Montecchi will deal with the one for the following year. Nikolas Tombazis continues as chief designer.”

It made me wonder - is the job of coordinator at Ferrari the most glamorous product manager job on the planet? I'm assuming that's roughly what the job is, if there's still a chief designer alongside the coordinator. What else is there to compare? NASA's too political, Google's too multi-headed, everyone hates Facebook, and it beats Apple hands down :)

Fingers crossed for a good year (and for some reason, fingers crossed there isn't one of those vanity nose covers on the car).

Cheers.

#61 TigersWood

TigersWood

• 132 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 14:51

It made me wonder - is the job of coordinator at Ferrari the most glamorous product manager job on the planet? I'm assuming that's roughly what the job is, if there's still a chief designer alongside the coordinator. What else is there to compare? NASA's too political, Google's too multi-headed, everyone hates Facebook, and it beats Apple hands down :)

I think Jonathan Ive's job is awesome and more glamorous. :cool:

Anyway, I am confident, this year the team improved and failed to give Fernando a fast car in the end because of the wind tunnel (if you want to believe it) and if this year the wind tunnel works, well fingers crossed.

#62 oetzi

oetzi

• 3,049 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 19:21

I think Jonathan Ive's job is awesome and more glamorous. :cool:

Making idiot boxes? Really?!?

They're pretty and do some good things, but...

Anyway, I am confident, this year the team improved and failed to give Fernando a fast car in the end because of the wind tunnel (if you want to believe it) and if this year the wind tunnel works, well fingers crossed.

The team does seem to be improving, but I'm ever so slightly worried at the apparent addition of layers. In a competitive environment, people need to be directly responsible for their work, and be working together to a common goal. Extra layers tend to dilute those things. Things fall in the gaps.

#63 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 5,143 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 19:26

Certainly, all are! Especially Fabio since it's his first year as deputy chief designer along with Nick. Still keeping feet on the ground and would not assess performance prior it hits the track, maybe not even before the first European race

Should we brace ourselves for the car being shit in the first four races?

Consistency and reliability matter equally as much as speed and overal development potential.

And slow?

Just kidding. Best wishes to you, I'm excited.

#64 quasi C

quasi C

• 2,068 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 20:51

It made me wonder - is the job of coordinator at Ferrari the most glamorous product manager job on the planet? I'm assuming that's roughly what the job is, if there's still a chief designer alongside the coordinator. What else is there to compare? NASA's too political, Google's too multi-headed, everyone hates Facebook, and it beats Apple hands down

Chief engineer at somewhere like Lockheed-Martin skunkworks? Imagine the stuff they're looking in to!

#65 quasi C

quasi C

• 2,068 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 22:24

Ferrari keep hiring new blood for their aero dept, Martin Bester now joins from Williams. Meanwhile the restructuring of the Maranello wind tunnel has begun.

#66 TF110

TF110

• 1,042 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 22:39

Just wondering why the latest updates were sub-par even though they were fully developed in the cologne tunnel. Can't really be confident about the 664 until they can be sure they are getting good results from the tunnel/s. At least expectations are a lot lower than at this point last year!

Updates seemed to work well with Massa, but not with Alonso as much? That's what I noticed. Either that or Massa found some magic speed. He wasn't in the place to challenge for the title so he was put in the place of 'assisting' Alonso. But you saw he out performed him in a couple of the latter races. Brazil comes to mind. Maybe the updates to the car weren't doing much for one driver but doing something for another? Maybe they went a wrong direction or concentrated on a part of the car that didn't give them the gains they expected?

#67 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:29

Ferrari recruits aero guy

http://www.gptoday.c...odynamics_guru/

#68 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,410 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:29

The more the better, specially if they are talented people. Wrooom it's next week, we will have new info of the car... I hope.

#69 oetzi

oetzi

• 3,049 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:31

Chief engineer at somewhere like Lockheed-Martin skunkworks? Imagine the stuff they're looking in to!

Good call. But you don't to get to say to everyone 'Look what I made!'.

#70 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,203 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 19:32

Ferrari recruits aero guy

http://www.gptoday.c...odynamics_guru/

Loic Bigois and Martin Bester - interesting how that will work. What were their achievements at Williams F1, when did they work at Williams?
Apart from whatever credentials they might have, I don't think the Mercedes' and Williams' of recent years were among the strongest cars, unfortunately...

#71 quasi C

quasi C

• 2,068 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 21:10

They were together at Williams for only a few months in 07. Prior to that he did however work at McLaren for a few years whilst Fry was there. I guess these are normal changes that happen in every team just that the Italian press scrutinises Ferrari far more than the english press do to english teams.

Edited by quasi C, 11 January 2013 - 21:12.

#72 oetzi

oetzi

• 3,049 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 21:56

I guess these are normal changes that happen in every team just that the Italian press scrutinises Ferrari far more than the english press do to english teams.

:up:

The level of press scrutiny over here is essentially 'Hamilton's great, Button is rubbish, hang on, Button won, Hamilton;'s got problems, Button's cool, hang on, they both crashed out, let's watch the tennis'. Apart from 'Ferrari cheated!', forgot that one. Oh, and from the past 'Here's Flavio with his tiny thong and latest supermodel'. And on a very slow news day 'Bernie Ecclestone is really quite small, but his (ex)wife is rather tall!'

That's about it, really.

#73 quasi C

quasi C

• 2,068 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 22:49

It's funny though, from a general f1 public perspective a few balding forty-something designers moving from one team to another is completely uninteresting and is rightly undeserving of being reported, yet this could have a greater affect on team competitiveness than even a driver change. I think Newey is the only 'tech name' the public would even recognise.

Edited by quasi C, 11 January 2013 - 22:49.

#74 oetzi

oetzi

• 3,049 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 23:02

You misunder(over?)estimate the public. Depending on how you read the word :)

#75 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,655 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 23:29

:up:

The level of press scrutiny over here is essentially 'Hamilton's great, Button is rubbish, hang on, Button won, Hamilton;'s got problems, Button's cool, hang on, they both crashed out, let's watch the tennis'. Apart from 'Ferrari cheated!', forgot that one. Oh, and from the past 'Here's Flavio with his tiny thong and latest supermodel'. And on a very slow news day 'Bernie Ecclestone is really quite small, but his (ex)wife is rather tall!'

That's about it, really.

:lol:

I honestly dont take much stock in what the public or the media think about anything F1-related anymore. I feel like I know enough to where my opinions are just as informed as theirs are.

#76 oetzi

oetzi

• 3,049 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:31

You're probably not as informed as they are, but you're probably more informed than you would be by reading the information they're willing to inform you of.

#77 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,410 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 17:07

The new press guy is Renato Bisignani, Colajanni moved to other position inside Ferrari.

#78 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 5,143 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 22:31

Wow, according to James Allen, not only has Ferrari separate teams for the 2013 and 2014 cars, but

the team is beginning work on a new base for its F1 team which is due to open in time to develop the 2015 car, on a site between the Cavallino restaurant and the existing team headquarters, known as Gestione Sportiva."
(...)
As for the new HQ, which will be a trapezoid shape, according to Gazzetta dello Sport, team principal laid the first stone on Monday and the Ferrari website noted,

“The first excavations have indeed begun of the foundations of the building that will house the offices of the management, engineers and administrative staff along with the working areas of the team. The location, which is owned by Ferrari and currently used as a car park, is situated between the Cavallino restaurant and the building that is currently used by the Scuderia.

“The project has been planned in accordance with guidelines inspired by the practicality, efficiency and style that characterise the Formula One programme. The aim is to create an environment that has been well thought through for the people who will work there. This programme, which has benefited from the positive steps taken in favour of the employees and their families, has earned Ferrari the title “Best place to work in Europe” from the Financial Times.”

Anyone who has been behind the scenes at Maranello and seen the existing factory will concur that this move has not come a moment too soon. The existing race bays and engine build shop are historic (although the technology inside is state of the art) and the team needed to move into a 21st century building, which it will now be doing. It’s a significant investment, albeit not on the scale of the McLaren Technology Centre. But then it doesn’t need to be, as Ferrari has many other new buildings on the campus like the wind tunnel and logistics centre.

Edited by KnucklesAgain, 14 January 2013 - 22:31.

#79 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,699 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:52

Posts deleted there are threads to discuss Wrooom 2013, tobacco advertising in F1 and a photoshopped thread, please use the appropriate threads.

Advertisement

#80 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,871 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:02

Posts moved. Car launch times are discussed here;

http://forums.autosp...howtopic=179082

#81 quasi C

quasi C

• 2,068 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 19:43

There was a press conference with SD today and it's been posted up on some Italian sites. I'll just translate the part relating to the F2013 as a lot of the rest was political/driver talk.

"There won't be any major changes from an aesthetic point of view given that the rules are similar to last year but there will be some modifications and refinements which I consider interesting as they will allow us to develop the car in areas we've not paid much attention to in the past. I think the attention will go into exploiting the exhaust area, as it is here that a lot of the performance is found."

source: http://www.omnicorse...riorita-ferrari

Slight OT: rumours have it that the successor to the ENZO will be unveiled on the same day!

Edited by quasi C, 16 January 2013 - 19:49.

#82 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,139 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:29

Same old crappy nose then .... :mad:

#83 Gintonious

Gintonious

• 1,035 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:16

I think the stepped nose will be on most cars in some way, but not as bad as last year.

#84 OneAndOnly

OneAndOnly

• 380 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:49

I am wondering will new car have letterbox like RB8. Did anyone figure out what is that hole there for anyway?

#85 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,410 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:33

Fernando said that they are going to hire people in 2013 more important for the performance of the car than De la Rosa :confused:. Maybe someone new for the design or aerodynamics department with a high success rate?.

#86 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 5,143 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 21:54

Fernando said that they are going to hire people in 2013 more important for the performance of the car than De la Rosa :confused:. Maybe someone new for the design or aerodynamics department with a high success rate?.

Well they did already hire a bunch of aero guys.

#87 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,955 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 22:45

Maybe referring to this?

http://www.auto.it/a...

Says former Williams, McLaren and BMW engineer Martin Bester has joined, and I saw a post saying someone from Caterham has also come on board.
Good luck to them, and I hope they can bring new ideas to Ferrari.

P.S. sorry for OT, but really liking the new overalls.

#88 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,539 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 23:25

I am wondering will new car have letterbox like RB8. Did anyone figure out what is that hole there for anyway?

I think it is a real letterbox for real letters from Luca trying to get Newey to Ferrari :rotfl: No, seriously I think it has to do something with airflow to the difusor?

#89 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,475 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 15:38

Hope all of you had a great holiday. I haven't been following the formula 1 news at all... Had a great time with my wife.

I find Domenicali's comments on the car quite interesting. What have they not being paying much attention to? I know it is unfair to compare the current team to the dream team but according to Irvine (back then) the team left no stone unturned. Even the screws and bolts were scrutinised a great deal.

Also read today that Massa considers Alonso a more formidable teammate than even Schumacher.

#90 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 5,143 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:13

According to this Pat Fry interview in AMuS (translated, mostly about the F2012, but with a few pieces of info on the new car), they will keep the pull-rod front suspension, but will build on the 2012 version and it will look a bit different.

#91 ArkZ

ArkZ

• 594 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 22:02

New season, new racing news, same target bring the WDC and WCC back to Ferrari http://www.ferrari.c...g-news-n-1.aspx

#92 mattferg

mattferg

• 847 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 22:29

I think it is a real letterbox for real letters from Luca trying to get Newey to Ferrari :rotfl: No, seriously I think it has to do something with airflow to the difusor?

It's been said it had no aero benefit, the slot was for driver cooling. Anyhew, back to F2013 discussion...

#93 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,213 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 14:56

Glad the pull rod will be back for 2013, albeit with modifications. Will be interesting to see how much the car differs from Jerez to Melbourne.

#94 steferrari

steferrari

• 296 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 17:56

Posted Image

http://singleseater2013.ferrari.com/en

:)

#95 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 17:57

http://www.racingand...aren_berlin.jpg

They have become McLaren.

#96 Richard T

Richard T

• 1,290 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 17:58

6000 Millimeters?

#97 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 18:11

According to this Pat Fry interview in AMuS (translated, mostly about the F2012, but with a few pieces of info on the new car), they will keep the pull-rod front suspension, but will build on the 2012 version and it will look a bit different.

It seems to make perfect sense and I guessed so earlier. We will see what Ferrari has come up - and will come up.

#98 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 2,189 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 18:31

http://www.racingand...aren_berlin.jpg

They have become McLaren.

Good catch :up: Ferrari and Mercedes look like McLaren's Jr. team these days :lol:

#99 Lemans

Lemans

• 1,419 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 18:43

Posted Image

http://singleseater2013.ferrari.com/en

:)

Ha! That looks awfully familiar
It didn't take long for alonso and de la rosa to get back to their old tricks now that they're back together.

Advertisement

#100 DoodoolTalla

DoodoolTalla

• 203 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 20:02

Ha! That looks awfully familiar
It didn't take long for alonso and de la rosa to get back to their old tricks now that they're back together.

I don't think that's a official Ferrari pic. It's from the facebook page which is run by some kid known as Sammy Wasem, which is pretty odd as he has no link to Ferrari.

Edited by DoodoolTalla, 22 January 2013 - 21:47.