* * * * - 24 votes

Ferrari F138: the race car

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4023 replies to this topic

#101 oetzi

oetzi

• 2,924 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 20:28

I don't think that's a official Ferrari pic. It's from the facebook page which is run by some kid known as Sammy Wasem, which is pretty odd as he has no links to Ferrari.

Not even McLaren's social media stooges are loyal :wave:

Advertisement

#102 discover23

discover23

• 3,529 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 21:05

Felipe is testing the new car on the simulator today.

#103 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,904 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 22:19

Live Chat with Felipe

Crazy Felipe :lol:

#104 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,561 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:51

I don't think that's a official Ferrari pic. It's from the facebook page which is run by some kid known as Sammy Wasem, which is pretty odd as he has no link to Ferrari.

I still love the look and colour of the Ferrari in your DP. The best looking Ferrari IMO.

#105 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,516 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:55

Countdown on Ferrari.com

http://singleseater2...ferrari.com/en/

#106 Massa

Massa

• 4,258 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:20

Live Chat with Felipe

Crazy Felipe :lol:

:rotfl:

#107 minosse

minosse

• 12 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:43

I don't think that's a official Ferrari pic. It's from the facebook page which is run by some kid known as Sammy Wasem, which is pretty odd as he has no link to Ferrari.

I don't know who's behind it, but it's been posted on 'official' Ferrari pages on both Facebook and Google+, and it has been tweeted by @InsideFerrari.

#108 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:38

6000 Millimeters?

Yeh no one else picked up on this?

Excuse me sir, do you have the time?
Sure. About half a mile.

#109 Gintonious

Gintonious

• 968 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 16:13

From Twitter:

Felipe Massa will drive the first 3 days of the Jerez test for Ferrari. Pedro de la Rosa will drive on day 4. Alonso won't test there at all

#110 steferrari

steferrari

• 271 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 16:17

From Twitter:

Felipe Massa will drive the first 3 days of the Jerez test for Ferrari. Pedro de la Rosa will drive on day 4. Alonso won't test there at all

Confirmed also on Ferrari's official website.
I'm a bit surprised to be honest. :well:

http://www.ferrari.c...va-ferrari.aspx

#111 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 16:21

I am not surprised. If Massa and De la Rosa can put the car on pole it is likely Alonso can too. The other way around may be unlikely.

#112 Gintonious

Gintonious

• 968 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 16:22

Jerez is mainly used to settle the car in with basic set up and trouble shooting, no upgrades etc will be there. No need to worry.

#113 steferrari

steferrari

• 271 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 16:23

I am not surprised. If Massa and De la Rosa can put the car on pole it is likely Alonso can too. The other way around may be unlikely.

For sure, but it's a bit strange that Fernando will miss a whole test. I'm sure they know what they are doing though.  ;)

#114 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,904 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 16:27

I guess it is to make sure Felipe is suited to the car, and starts the year like he ended 2012. No more chassis changes like after Melbourne last year.

#115 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 895 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 16:29

Maybe ALO had a tennis accident.

Edited by SealTheDiffuser, 24 January 2013 - 16:30.

#116 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 16:34

Expect Alonso to get all days with the updated car while Massa gets to do all the 'dirty' work; installation laps and reliability testing.

#117 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 16:38

Expect Alonso to get all days with the updated car while Massa gets to do all the 'dirty' work; installation laps and reliability testing.

Who cares if both will have the same car for the first race.

#118 Massa

Massa

• 4,258 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 17:03

http://motorsport.ne...a-si,55309.html

It's saying Alonso will have a huge training and it's why he will miss the test, but at Barcelona Alonso will drove the 19, 20 and 21th February, and Massa just one day.

And then, the last test, Massa will drove the first and the third day, and Alonso the second and the last day before Melbourne.

So it's seems Alonso really want to be WDC this year; he has decided to miss the first test to do some training.

EDIT : It's better with proper english

http://motorsport.ne...Rosa,55311.html

Edited by Massa, 24 January 2013 - 17:11.

#119 ed24f1

ed24f1

• 971 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 17:12

Nice to see Pedro get a run! Although it might be hard for him to be critical considering he's used to the HRT! :p

Advertisement

#120 pRy

pRy

• 10,845 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 17:23

Fernando did seem to be a little worse for wear at the end of a few races last year.. visibly tired, having to sit down while others stood and occasionally pouring water over himself. At the time I assumed it was because he had driven the balls off his car and had used more energy than the other drivers but perhaps he feels his general fitness needed improving? Although I assumed Alonso was one of the fittest guys in the paddock. He's certainly good on a bike.

#121 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,072 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 17:32

Is the F2013 even confirmed to run at Jerez? This announcement may allude to it not being run, perhaps they want to get to grips with the tyres on a known quantity. Makes a good deal of sense, particularly if the new car is simply an evolution, with presumably similar characteristics.

#122 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,222 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 17:58

Is the F2013 even confirmed to run at Jerez? This announcement may allude to it not being run, perhaps they want to get to grips with the tyres on a known quantity. Makes a good deal of sense, particularly if the new car is simply an evolution, with presumably similar characteristics.

I think they'd rather get up to speed with the car. I dont think the tires are going to be nearly as much a problem as they were at the start of last year.

#123 matthewf1

matthewf1

• 76 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 17:59

Mercedes tried this last year in Jerez. Waste of time though as they ended up having the most tyre trouble all season.

#124 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,222 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 18:02

Mercedes tried this last year in Jerez. Waste of time though as they ended up having the most tyre trouble all season.

They didn't have their new car, though, I dont think, so they couldn't run back-to-backs.

Still, I dont think its important enough to put off running the new car. The team will want to start the season off stronger this time.

Edited by Seanspeed, 24 January 2013 - 18:03.

#125 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,874 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 19:57

I think they'd rather get up to speed with the car. I dont think the tires are going to be nearly as much a problem as they were at the start of last year.

I don't know if it's going to be as problematic as early last year but Pirelli have made extensive changes to the tyres. Hard tyre will be in same category as last years medium, softer sidewalls but with a stronger shoulder.

One thing is certain though. This years tyres will be significantly faster.

#126 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,686 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 20:54

Way to prove how wrong your prejudices are.

Alonso meanwhile will use that week to work on his physical condition, before he drives the Ferrari for the first three days of the Barcelona test that runs from February 19. Massa will then drive on the final day of that week.

For the final test that runs at Barcelona from February 28 to March 3, Alonso and Massa will split the driving duties.

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/105262

#127 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,072 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 21:35

Beginning to think more and more that the F2013 won't be at the first test.

Andrew Benson ‏@andrewbensonf1
“@alogoc: will Alonso drive the car at shakedown in Fiorano?” Ferrari say there won't be a shakedown

#128 toxicfusion

toxicfusion

• 519 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 22:09

Beginning to think more and more that the F2013 won't be at the first test.

Andrew Benson ‏@andrewbensonf1
“@alogoc: will Alonso drive the car at shakedown in Fiorano?” Ferrari say there won't be a shakedown

Or they aren't going to chance snow fall like there was last year at Fiorano.

Most speculation surrounding when the launch was going to be seemed to suggest that Ferrari would unveil it and then ship it off to Jerez.

#129 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,904 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 23:12

Most articles I have seen, including the Autosport one on the main page say the new car will be run in Jerez by Felipe and Pedro. They even said that he was having his seat fitted as we speak.
If it was the old one, they would have done this already.

I guess this allows for more continuity. The number of days is almost the same, but in the F2012's early days maybe having 2 drivers test the malfunctioning exhaust was complicating things?

So now they will have a clearer picture of the new car's characteristics by giving the driver more days to work on the car before a big list of bits get added on between tests.

Well, we will see what was behind their thinking soon.
At least they are keeping quiet like normal this year. No more 'last disappointing year' talk, which was a little out of character for Ferrari.

Edited by SCUDmissile, 24 January 2013 - 23:13.

#130 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,529 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:46

The Alonso fitness story seems a bit odd to me, since he's been in the off season for a few months to work on such things. I wonder if it has more to do with Massa, as some have suggested. He managed to find his speed in the F2012 later in the season, and in some cases was quicker than Alonso, so starting with Felipe's set up as the base, the hope may be that that pace continues.

One other, related possibility is that Massa has more trouble with a "difficult" car, so let's see how quickly he and Pedro can go in comparison to the rest of the field. If they go well, that could mean the car is easier to drive, and Alonso can confirm that (or not!) at the second test. If the F2013 is easy driving, quick AND reliable, that would be good for both race drivers.

Still a real head-scratcher considering Fernando just said a week ago that MORE TESTING is what's needed in F1, then he passes on 1/3 of the testing available. :confused: :confused:

Edited by PoleMan, 25 January 2013 - 01:50.

#131 rodlamas

rodlamas

• 8,006 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:07

The Alonso fitness story seems a bit odd to me, since he's been in the off season for a few months to work on such things. I wonder if it has more to do with Massa, as some have suggested. He managed to find his speed in the F2012 later in the season, and in some cases was quicker than Alonso, so starting with Felipe's set up as the base, the hope may be that that pace continues.

One other, related possibility is that Massa has more trouble with a "difficult" car, so let's see how quickly he and Pedro can go in comparison to the rest of the field. If they go well, that could mean the car is easier to drive, and Alonso can confirm that (or not!) at the second test. If the F2013 is easy driving, quick AND reliable, that would be good for both race drivers.

Still a real head-scratcher considering Fernando just said a week ago that MORE TESTING is what's needed in F1, then he passes on 1/3 of the testing available. :confused: :confused:

Too much wine and turkey ate at Christmas made this. Alonso is out of his form. He has been posting on his twitter frequently that he is in the gym. He let it go after last year's race and now needs to make up for it.

#132 Starlight

Starlight

• 183 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:36

I've not been following F1 after the last race, so I might be wrong in saying this. But I seem to recall that Alonso did not do much testing with the new tyres during one of the practice sessions last year, opting to concentrate on the championship instead? And Massa did do runs on the new trial sets of tyres? Maybe its got to do with this? And thats why Massa is to drive the first 3 days so that he can give more details on the car and how it works with the new tyres? I maybe talking rubbish though!

#133 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,516 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:49

It makes zero sense to me that he is going to miss the first test because he want to stay 3 or 4 days in the gym, I doubt that this will make any difference over a season. Maybe he is recovering from some injury that has not been revealed. Felipe and Pedro are more than capable of doing whatever they need to do in the first test, but this news are strange.

#134 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,561 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:28

It's not that strange it's just that everything Ferrari does is hyper-analysed. Any other team and it wouldn't be a major thing.

To be honest I think Alonso was very much involved in the decision, he's thinking about the long game, getting pedro in the car now may be useful for his simulator work later on. Mclaren did something similar and no one even noticed.

Edited by RedOne, 25 January 2013 - 05:29.

#135 aray

aray

• 2,543 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:48

it doesn't matter as long as both the drivers get equal days of testing...last testing before Oz is the crucial one and that's when both of them having equal share of same car.....

#136 Lone

Lone

• 628 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:05

It makes zero sense to me that he is going to miss the first test because he want to stay 3 or 4 days in the gym, I doubt that this will make any difference over a season. Maybe he is recovering from some injury that has not been revealed. Felipe and Pedro are more than capable of doing whatever they need to do in the first test, but this news are strange.

That was my exact thought.

#137 Massa

Massa

• 4,258 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:53

And why Alonso and Ferrari would not say "it's because Alonso is injured" ? If it was the case, Ferrari would say the truth, they had no benefit to not say the truth.

Edited by Massa, 25 January 2013 - 07:54.

#138 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,516 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:19

it doesn't matter as long as both the drivers get equal days of testing...last testing before Oz is the crucial one and that's when both of them having equal share of same car.....

Massa is going to have one more day than Alonso

1st test Massa 3 - Alonso 0
2nd test Massa 1 - Alonso 3
3rd test Massa 2 - Alonso 2

that's the current info. I'm not complaining anyway, I don't think one more day will make any difference, both drivers work together to make the car better, testing it's not a competition.

And why Alonso and Ferrari would not say "it's because Alonso is injured" ? If it was the case, Ferrari would say the truth, they had no benefit to not say the truth.

Alonso raced the first part of 2011 injured and they never said anything (till Alonso revealed it some month before). I know that some people will try to spin my words, to clarify, I'm not talking about a conspiracy, it was an hypothesis.

#139 azda

azda

• 25 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:16

Fingers crossed that Ferrari have finally figured out how to design a genuinely fast top line F1 car. I guess it can't be worse than the dog they created last year, but hard to have confidence anymore in the team. They seemed to have hired a lot of new tech staff but they seem to be un wanted left overs from other teams rather than proven quality staff.

Advertisement

#140 aray

aray

• 2,543 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:23

i am expecting another troublesome winter testing....that's way i can keep my hope in check...expect less,lesser disappointment....:well:

Edited by aray, 26 January 2013 - 06:23.

#141 Gfhuus

Gfhuus

• 118 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:13

It's not that strange it's just that everything Ferrari does is hyper-analysed. Any other team and it wouldn't be a major thing.

To be honest I think Alonso was very much involved in the decision, he's thinking about the long game, getting pedro in the car now may be useful for his simulator work later on. Mclaren did something similar and no one even noticed.

If you're referencing to mclaren running turvey & paffet at mugello, you have very selective memory.

My first guess would be injury as well. I think they'd rather not advertise it to everybody, should it be true. Second guess that there will be a major upgrade package at 2nd test, and they prioritize alonsos input on that. Third guess is that they want to give both drives as many consecutive days acclimatizing to the car and examining setups as possible. You'd guess doing back to back stuff over a longer period of days could be pretty productive.

#142 wati

wati

• 1,088 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:24

Massa is going to have one more day than Alonso

1st test Massa 3 - Alonso 0
2nd test Massa 1 - Alonso 3
3rd test Massa 2 - Alonso 2

that's the current info. I'm not complaining anyway, I don't think one more day will make any difference, both drivers work together to make the car better, testing it's not a competition.

Alonso raced the first part of 2011 injured and they never said anything (till Alonso revealed it some month before). I know that some people will try to spin my words, to clarify, I'm not talking about a conspiracy, it was an hypothesis.

I thought it's

1st Massa 2, DlR 1
2nd Massa 1, Alo 3
3rd Massa 2, Alo 2

5 days for each.

#143 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,516 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:53

I thought it's

1st Massa 2, DlR 1
2nd Massa 1, Alo 3
3rd Massa 2, Alo 2

5 days for each.

The first test is 4 days too, you are missing one more day for Massa ;)

#144 azda

azda

• 25 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:02

Massa had an extra days testing in 2010 as well. Not bad for a 'number 2' driver.

#145 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,561 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:29

If you're referencing to mclaren running turvey & paffet at mugello, you have very selective memory.

My first guess would be injury as well. I think they'd rather not advertise it to everybody, should it be true. Second guess that there will be a major upgrade package at 2nd test, and they prioritize alonsos input on that. Third guess is that they want to give both drives as many consecutive days acclimatizing to the car and examining setups as possible. You'd guess doing back to back stuff over a longer period of days could be pretty productive.

No, I'm talking about when Mclaren used Pedro in pre-season.(see what I mean no one noticed)

You can keep guessing away but personally I think they are all wrong guesses. Ferrari and Alonso wanted Pedro in the car, simples.

Edited by RedOne, 26 January 2013 - 10:30.

#146 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,561 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:37

And Alonso didn't look injured when he was winning the go-kart race at wrooom did he?

#147 Gfhuus

Gfhuus

• 118 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:29

No, I'm talking about when Mclaren used Pedro in pre-season.(see what I mean no one noticed)

You can keep guessing away but personally I think they are all wrong guesses. Ferrari and Alonso wanted Pedro in the car, simples.

Which pre-season test session was that? :)

Having Pedro in the car is one thing, Fernando skipping the 1st test another. The former didn't require the latter.

#148 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,561 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:01

Which pre-season test session was that? :)

Having Pedro in the car is one thing, Fernando skipping the 1st test another. The former didn't require the latter.

The one where you can google it and find out yourself but since you seem to have no idea here you go

http://www.formula1....009/1/8852.html

Edited by RedOne, 26 January 2013 - 12:02.

#149 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,211 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 13:20

The one where you can google it and find out yourself but since you seem to have no idea here you go

http://www.formula1....009/1/8852.html

Slightly different. Thy effectively used PDLR to shake the car down and both race drivers still took part in the test.

#150 quasi C

quasi C

• 2,013 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 14:16

First engine start was on wednesday, it'll definitely be at Jerez on the 5th.