* * * * - 24 votes

Ferrari F138: the race car

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4023 replies to this topic

#2351 Alolnso

Alolnso

• 34 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:31

@BorkoF2012, Alonso lost way more than that in total behind the Vettel train in the first stint and the Sutil train in the second. This alone allowed Raikkonen to close up some 7 - 8 seconds. This forced Ferrari to pit him early for his second stop which ultimately put all the other front runners except Raikkonen out of sync. After that Alonso had to contend with Sutil once again as well as Hamilton. Pic's bonehead move at the end didn't help either in period where Alonso was catching Raikkonen.

Raikkonen ran the fastest lap of the race on tires that had more than 20 laps in them.

Advertisement

#2352 bussunda

bussunda

• 17 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:33

Why pit Alonso ahead of Massa ???

Do you really need to ask ? This team is a disgrace.

#2353 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,904 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:34

Well, I think all the guys stopped pushing at the end. Fernando did after he knew the fight was over. Felipe went from 2 sec behind to 10 sec behind etc. Same with Vettel.

Edited by D.M.N., 17 March 2013 - 09:45.
Remove " Shoo trolls and haters, shoo" - baiting

#2354 CatharticF1

CatharticF1

• 259 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:35

2013 season pretty much over for Ferrari , they are 1 second behind in qualyfiying and that a lot to recover , better to focus in 2014 car , sigh , another wasted year

:wave: Wave goodbye to credibility!(Again)

#2355 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,693 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:36

IntelligentF1 has a long-run analysis up.

To summarize, while RBR is clearly fastest over one lap, the long run pace of the top teams is close. Räikkönen and Grosjean are the fastest on their long runs, but Ferrari is "comfortably the most consistent". RBR and McLaren probably tried different things with their respective drivers.

Details and other teams at the link.

The IntelligentF1 model did well.

#2356 Hanzo

Hanzo

• 681 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:37

I expect exactly the same result in the malaysian heat, probably with more seconds of difference between the three drivers.

#2357 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,492 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:38

Based on first race, Ferrari are favorite for both titles.

#2358 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,530 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:38

:clap: First, congratulations to Kimi on a great and well-earned victory!
Brilliant drive from Fernando! Like some others, I feel a victory was possible, but just didn't pan out. I think Nando qualifying behind Felipe really hurt his chances, because he was clearly quicker than Felipe, and I think he could have pressured and passed Vettel on the circuit earlier, which would have allowed him to manage his tires better. Felipe was also quicker than Vettel, but never tried to pass him, which was a shame. I say that based on my visual observation, though I'm sure the stopwatch would agree with me.

Some on the race thread (And THIS ONE, apparently!)have complained about Felipe not being pitted first, but I think that was Fernando's call (Just a guess.). Sutil was driving slower than Alonso could go, and with Vettel not able to pass him and Felipe not able to pass Vettel, he thought he'd pit early and jump them both. It worked, unless some think Red Bull were in on the conspiracy to get Alonso ahead of Massa...and Sebastian, too. There were some other traffic issues, but Kimi had incredible pace, so he would have been difficult to beat, regardless.
Car looked FANTASTIC, but I don't expect that to convince some of the doomsayers, despite the fact the Scuderia lead the WCC. FORZA FERRARI!!!

Edited by PoleMan, 17 March 2013 - 08:42.

#2359 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,762 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:39

Indeed. Good find.

Advertisement

#2360 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:40

Fair enough. We have to track that over the long run, as I said before and it did often underestimate RBR in 2012 while it did better for Ferrari. Ferrari had certainly great race pace and the long runs were better then the rest expect for that Kimi-Lotus package. But Albert Park is a bit of strange circuit and the first race on the new tyres.

In any case thanks for the link and I will keep an eye on that. Well done to Ferrari for not using team orders right from the go.

Edited by H2H, 17 March 2013 - 08:44.

#2361 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,762 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:41

Based on first race, Ferrari are favorite for both titles.

I agree. Unfortunately some Ferrari fans will have to make peace with the fact the F138 is excellent right off the bat, and deal with the pressure that comes with it.

#2362 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,693 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:45

Fair enough. We have to track that over the long run, as I said before and it did often underestimate RBR in 2012 while it did better for Ferrari. Ferrari had certainly great race pace and the long runs were better then the rest expect for that Kimi-Lotus package. But Albert Park is a bit of strange circuit and the first race on the new tyres.

In any case thanks for the link and I will keep an eye on that.

Sure, these things have to be kept in mind. Still way beyond the Gary Anderson-style "predictions", I think. I'm hopeful that the model will improve further, now that the first race delivered the first actual race stint data to tune the correction factors for 2013 tyres.

#2363 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,880 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:45

Raikkonen ran the fastest lap of the race on tires that had more than 20 laps in them.

He ran in clear air for pretty much the whole stint while Alonso had to push to make up the deficit while encountering traffic as well. No doubt the Lotus is fast but I think Ferrari are slightly faster from what I witnessed from live timing.

I'm just concerned about the Lotus ability to conserve tyres but will wait for more races because Alonso was somewhat out of sync with the early second stop.

Edited by Ferrari2183, 17 March 2013 - 08:49.

#2364 fololo

fololo

• 960 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:48

He ran in clear air for pretty much the whole stint while Alonso had to push to make up the deficit while encountering traffic as well. No doubt the Lotus is fast but I think Ferrari are slightly faster from what I witnessed from live timing.

I'm just concerned about the Lotus ability to conserve tyres but will wait for more races because Alonso was out if somewhat out if sync with the early second stop.

yea and 2laps ago he drove almost best time...

1:29:6

#2365 motorhead

motorhead

• 880 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:48

So Pat Fry is the man to beat this season...

#2366 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,904 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:49

:wave: Wave goodbye to credibility!(Again)

:lol:

Good shout. Dare I say it, Ferrari can be even stronger in Malaysia with the hotter temps and faster corners as in testing some said Ferrari were lacking a little in the slower traction corners even if they do look good.
And then a big upgrade for China, I would say it is looking good. :D

#2367 magicon

magicon

• 403 posts

do Ferrari have plans for drd? That should help.

Edited by magicon, 17 March 2013 - 08:50.

#2368 ArkZ

ArkZ

• 549 posts

Pray for no rain at Sepang!!

Ferrari will win that one!!! :clap:

I think we don't need to.
In both 2011 and 2012 the cars were much faster there than in Oz, F138 seems to be continuation of philosophy of this cars (strenght/weakness) Sepang suited our previous cars, also Alonso has the best record in history of this track (he won 3 times with 3 different constructors, he get there first pole and first podium and this will be his 200 race in F1), Massa scored 2 poles in a row there and Ferrari won 6/14 races there.

Edited by ArkZ, 17 March 2013 - 08:54.

#2369 magicon

magicon

• 403 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:55

I think we don't need to.
In both 2011 and 2012 the cars were much faster there than in Oz, F138 seems to be continuation of philosophy of this cars (strenght/weakness) Sepang suited our previous cars, also Alonso has the best record in history of this track (he won 3 times with 3 different constructors, he get there first pole and first podium and this will be his 200 race in F1), Massa scored 2 pole in a row there and Ferrari won 6/14 races there.

It's a late start again, better to be rain free, nasty surprises happens when it's flooded and growing dark!

#2370 apexpredator

apexpredator

• 242 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:56

Oh lord is hard to be humble! Ferrari walking away with a 2nd and 4th place and most constructors' points after the 1st race? Hell yeah!

Fantastic race. I do think a win was possible, getting stuck behind Massa was what ruined Alonso's chances. His 2nd stint was totally compromised behind Massa and Vettel and had to pit early instead of stretching it out like Kimi was able to do. Also interesting that Alonso referred to Massa and Vettel as 'traffic'.

To all the doom and gloom naysayers, this race just showed that qualifying deficit to pole position is not the be all end all. Kimi won from the 4th row for crying out loud.

Ferrari is definitely on for the championship fight, it seems Red Bull have caught the Mercedes bug of being insanely fast over one lap but eating tyres in the race. I'm sure they'll get on top of it eventually but it seems the 2 cars with the most balanced baseline is Ferrari and Lotus.

Forza Ferrari!!

Edited by apexpredator, 17 March 2013 - 08:58.

#2371 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 1,951 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:04

Promising early race. Especially glad that Vettel wasn't able to pull off his signature move in that first stint. Massa and Alonso kept nice and close. Red Bull is still amazingly quick in qualifying, and it'd be silly to underestimate their ability to get their car performing better in the race. Raikkonen and Lotus were again strong; it seems to be quite close at the front of the grid.

It'll be a long and tough year for the team, but the start is very good indeed. :up:

#2372 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:10

Bottas in particular cost Alonso 2-3 seconds during his final run, while hunting Kimi.

Might have changed the race outcome.

#2373 kar

kar

• 10,307 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:19

After a good result today, good to see so much happiness here :)

#2374 e34

e34

• 718 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:37

I would hope they have agreements and procedures in place for pit priorities of cars running closely and with equal WDC chances, this is not a new problem. On the other hand the perception problem would go away if people stopped those conspiracy theories that lack evidence. If the same low standard of argument was applied to McLaren, it would be easy to claim that Withmarsh screwed Perez's quali in order to big up Button because he had bet the team on Jenson. Same kind of evidence for that.

Well, you are not a newbie here, and by now you should know that Withmarsh is in love with Button.

And as for flying pigs

Posted Image

Now seriously, I am aware that it is (it should be) just a forum (and press) controversy, but it is tiresome to read time and again about conspiracies be it against Massa, against Kimi, against Hamilton or against whoever.

After 2007 at McLaren and how it unfolded, it should be clear that rules written on stone can backfire big time on the team, because in the end, you can't race the whole season on alternative strategies (and if you did, successfully, you would have been favoured, etc.), so if both drivers of a team are competing, they would end up converging on the same strategies and fighting to death for the deciding factor established by the team. If it is qualifying, they would end up compromising their race set up (and thus their chances against other teams) in order to get the upper hand in qualifying and have the right to the supposed best strategy.

It is not easy, but if people stated what their preferred system is, we could get rid of part of the "the old 2nd driver treatment" routine.

#2375 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,693 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:42

@e34

Sure, I agree with all of that. (Edit: With the best of intentions things are bound to turn out suboptimal with hindsight. So ...) As long as some people are intent on doing it bashing teams for that, this stuff will not go away, unfortunately. And the targets are not chosen by evidence, but the haters' dispositions.

Edited by KnucklesAgain, 17 March 2013 - 09:44.

#2376 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,148 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:48

Discussion about Massa and the pit-stop strategy situation goes here: http://forums.autosp...howtopic=182735

Thanks

#2377 sheepgobba

sheepgobba

• 1,081 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:57

Also, I have to say Pedro was right about the car and Red Bull's long runs earlier during the weekend.

#2378 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:00

Also, I have to say Pedro was right about the car and Red Bull's long runs earlier during the weekend.

and he was also right about Lotus.

#2379 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,492 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:20

Bottas in particular cost Alonso 2-3 seconds during his final run, while hunting Kimi.

Might have changed the race outcome.

I think Kimi was pretty much controlling the race in the end. If he had a car that allowed him to start from front, it would have been easier. Of course the 3 stoppers had more traffic, but that is usually part of the game.

Alonsos 2 laps in the final stint were scary, but stints are usually about 20 laps and not a single fast. The Ferrari race pace looked good for sure. With both drivers.

Edited by Mauseri, 17 March 2013 - 10:22.

Advertisement

#2380 BorkoF2012

BorkoF2012

• 810 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:25

I think we should all give some credit to Pat Fry, Nick Tombazis & co for a great job they have done with the car. Thank you for the wonderful morning :up:

Edited by BorkoF2012, 17 March 2013 - 10:26.

#2381 fololo

fololo

• 960 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:31

I think we should all give some credit to Pat Fry, Nick Tombazis & co for a great job they have done with the car. Thank you for the wonderful morning :up:

Also thanks to toyota wind tunnel lol ..

#2382 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,880 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:37

I think Kimi was pretty much controlling the race in the end. If he had a car that allowed him to start from front, it would have been easier. Of course the 3 stoppers had more traffic, but that is usually part of the game.

Alonsos 2 laps in the final stint were scary, but stints are usually about 20 laps and not a single fast. The Ferrari race pace looked good for sure. With both drivers.

Yeah, he was controlling the race, but I think Alonso could have done 2 stops as well when looking at his pace in the final stint. He did only 10 laps on a set of primes in order to undercut due to traffic. Lets not forget that had Alonso not forced anybodies hand by that early second stop, Raikkonen would have had to overtake on track to win the race.

Will see how Malaysia goes.

#2383 e34

e34

• 718 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:37

IMO, the opposite is true. Usually you accept one more stop in order to get a free track in front of you. If by three-stopping you always had more traffic and one extra stop, nobody would do it. Without Sutil, Kimi would have had a harder time making his strategy pay. He could have managed, may be, but, as Ferrari found out in 2011, having a car very kind on tyres only works if something prevents the other cars from extracting its maximum performance when you are taking care of your tyres. Otherwise, being able to exploit the advantage given by the best tyre usage is tricky, at best.

It may also be a question of Ferrari being unable to stick with an alternative strategy, as showed by Massa today. If you get cold feet midway into a strategy, it always backfires big time. Kimi today, as Perez last year, showed that when you are committed with an alternative strategy, you have to let the race come into your hands. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it won't. And that is something Ferrari has not been able to do in the past.

#2384 AlainProstX

AlainProstX

• 306 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:42

Great Job! First in WCC!

...But im sick of this political correctness. Massa ruined Alonsos chances to win today. I don't care which red car wins, as long it actually wins. Massa just kept the much faster Alonso behind him and cruised behind Vettel without attempting a overtake. I sure Fernando could have passed Vettel in the first or second stint. They should have really pitted Alonso first. We lost 7 points today because of this. Under Todt, Brawn and MSC this would have never happened.

Also, whenever Massa sees Alonso in his rear mirror, he defends like Gilles himself...

#2385 nomi

nomi

• 288 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:48

Great Job! First in WCC!

...But im sick of this political correctness. Massa ruined Alonsos chances to win today. I don't care which red car wins, as long it actually wins. Massa just kept the much faster Alonso behind him and cruised behind Vettel without attempting a overtake. I sure Fernando could have passed Vettel in the first or second stint. They should have really pitted Alonso first. We lost 7 points today because of this. Under Todt, Brawn and MSC this would have never happened.

Also, whenever Massa sees Alonso in his rear mirror, he defends like Gilles himself...

Does anyone have lap times when both Massa Alonso was behind Sutil?

#2386 RedF1

RedF1

• 135 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:50

Great Job! First in WCC!

Yes, I completly agree! Massa is making the same mistakes all over again. He should be more grateful to Ferrari that they kept him and even much more grateful to Fernando who always backed him up to keep the seat. Ferrari is bigger than Massa's Ego. He really should start accepting that or move over. Happy to see Jules Bianchi next year, hopefully.

#2387 AlainProstX

AlainProstX

• 306 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:54

Does anyone have lap times when both Massa Alonso was behind Sutil?

Its not the lap times... Massa couldnt overtake Vettel eventhough he was in DRS zone for two stints in a car slightly faster. He didnt even try. If he overtaked at the end of the first stint, he could have won this race.

I don'tcare whether Alonso or Massa wins, I just want Ferrari to maximize their WCC and WDC chances. They lost +7 points today...

#2388 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,451 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:59

Happy Fernando, happy Ferrari fans

https://fbcdn-sphoto...989436283_n.jpg
Posted Image

#2389 Classic Ferrari

Classic Ferrari

• 471 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:01

Please buy out the Toyota Cologne facility, whatever is going on in there its working...

#2390 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:19

Why is it always Massa either being nowhere or just competitive enough to handicap Alonso.

Massa likely cost Ferrari the race win with blocking Alonso at the start and not being able to catch Vettel.

For those who bitch and moan about Ferrari team orders take note of today. Massa ruined Alonso's race at the start.

Massa is the dog in the manger.

Edited by fabr68, 17 March 2013 - 11:23.

#2391 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,525 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:31

#Domenicali "De Ferrari habla todo el mundo. Este año hemos decidido q d las actualizaciones del F138 no diremos nada, se verán en la pista"

Domenicali: "Everyone talks about Ferrari. This year we have decided that we will say nothing about the updates of the F138, they will be seen on the track".

If they can stop the leaks to the Italian press, this :up: x1000

#2392 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,904 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:40

But we do know from fry that small parts are en route for Malaysia. Nothing big though. Then, first update comes for China.

"But there are more bits coming through for Melbourne, more for Malaysia and then a bigger upgrade for China."

http://www1.skysport...-end-of-testing

You can't help but feel confident. Hopefully those parts can help Ferrari get above Lotus (they were pretty close to Kimi but circumstances hindered imo) in tyre management and race pace and get closer to RBR in quali. Can't have Lewis and the Mercs outqualifying the Ferraris, or even Mark for that matter.

#2393 bernardv

bernardv

• 123 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:45

Great Job! First in WCC!

You must have been watching a fanboy film in your mind, not the real race.

Massa was the fastest man on the track in the begining of the race, Alonso didn't lose one second because of him. It was Vettel and Sutil who were slowing down the whole group once it formed, alonso being the last one in it. If Massa were to be behind him Alonso would get stuck just the same, we saw overtaking only when the difference between two cars was quite noticable.

When the second round of pitstops started (both Ferraris being still stuck behind Vettel and Sutil) it was Alonso who received a GIFT!!!!! from the team and was called in first, while Massa was let driving in that group and then even let out a few more laps on worn out tires listening to patronising Smedly comments while his race was going down the drain.

#2394 RedF1

RedF1

• 135 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:50

Massa was the fastest man on the track in the begining of the race, Alonso didn't lose one second because of him. It was Vettel and Sutil who were slowing down the whole group once it formed, alonso being the last one in it. If Massa were to be behind him Alonso would get stuck just the same, we saw overtaking only when the difference between two cars was quite noticable.

When the second round of pitstops started (both Ferraris being still stuck behind Vettel and Sutil) it was Alonso who received a GIFT!!!!! from the team and was called in first, while Massa was let driving in that group and then even let out a few more laps on worn out tires listening to patronising Smedly comments while his race was going down the drain.

wow... you have inside wisdom!

#2395 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:52

Dude, re-watch the start of the race. Vettel got away from the group and Alonso could have catch him. Instead, Massa (who could not catch Vettel) decided to block Alonso who was charging and breathing up Massa's neck. Massa was pitted first because he could not catch Vettel. On the second round of pit stops, Massa was yet blocking Alonso again. That is why Alonso was pitted to get him out of traffic.

Massa's not enough competitiveness cost Ferrari the race win today. Not only prevented Ferrari to win but also finished behind the driver he should have finished in front of, Vettel.

This is what happens to Ferrari when there is NO team orders during a race.

Edited by fabr68, 17 March 2013 - 11:55.

#2396 e34

e34

• 718 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:55

And then suddenly, the movie ended and reality kicked in:

Massa: Strategy gamble helped Alonso

Pirelli predicts two stop strategy will win a dry race

Top marks, however, for the Smedley's patronising part. Now even Smedley is out for Massa and trying to destabilise him? Poor chap, he should have gone to Marussia, shouldn't he?

#2397 bernardv

bernardv

• 123 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:56

Dude, re-watch the start of the race. Vettel got away from the group and Alonso could have catch him. Instead, Massa (who could not catch Vettel) decided to block Alonso who was charging and breathing up Massa's neck. Massa was pitted first because he could not catch Vettel. On the second round of pit stops, Massa was yet blocking Alonso again. That is why Alonso was pitted to get him out of traffic.

Massa's not enough competitiveness cost Ferrari the race win today.

This is what happens to Ferrari when there is NO team orders during a race.

You are describing only the first lap! After that Massa was the fastes man on hte track and catching Vettel while they both had a clear track in front of them (before they caught up with Sutil).

#2398 muelte

muelte

• 496 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:58

On worn out tires? They weren't worn at all. When Alonso pitted, Massa's tires were just 12 laps old. Compare that to the stints Raikkonen or even Alonso did, way longer, and way faster. Massa had the position today, but simply didn't have the pace for opting for victory, as he showed when he had free air.

"Massa denied this was a case of Ferrari putting Alonso on a preferential strategy and said he would not have wanted to pit when his team-mate did because in theory the tactic should not have worked."

The Brazilian felt Ferrari needed to get at least 15 laps out of each set of tyres, whereas Alonso pitted after 11.

Edited by muelte, 17 March 2013 - 12:00.

#2399 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:01

On worn out tires? They weren't worn at all. When Alonso pitted, Massa's tires were just 12 laps old. Compare that to the stints Raikkonen or even Alonso did, way longer, and way faster. Massa had the position today, but simply didn't have the pace for opting for victory, as he showed when he had free air.

Not only this. Massa also finished behind the driver he should have finished in front of, Vettel.

Again, the results today is a perfect example of what happens when Ferrari does NOT use team orders.

Advertisement

#2400 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,880 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:04

How significantly altering your race strategy in gamble to get ahead of the pack can be seen as gift is beyond me.

Ultimately, A number of factors conspired against a Ferrari 1-2 or a double podium at the very least. Massa's inability to make an impression on Vettel in the first stint and Sutil holding the lot of them up in the second handed Raikkonen the perfect foil to make a 2 stop strategy work.

I'm still mad as hell that a Ferrari car didn't win this race because it was there for the taking based on pace.