* * * * - 24 votes

Ferrari F138: the race car

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4023 replies to this topic

#2701 rasul

rasul

• 955 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:20

He basically has been since the second half of last year...

Yes, and yet some people are still surprised. I hope he keeps it up. I'd say WCC is very likely this year.

Advertisement

#2702 BestCarWins

BestCarWins

• 196 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:29

Again, today Massa was consistently faster than Alonso... what's going on :confused:

Not really, Alonso quicker in Fp1 and in Fp2 on hards, Massa quicker on mediums.

#2703 muelte

muelte

• 496 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:31

Massa consistently faster than Alonso since 2nd half of last year? :rotfl:

#2704 Flamini

Flamini

• 793 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:34

From race 11 (Hungary) to 15 (Suzuka) there was not a single moment when Massa was faster. When Massa beat him in the races like Suzuka or Spa it's because Alonso didn't race (first corner incidents) and in these races Massa was beaten by Alonso in qualy by half a second (both cases, Suzuka and Spa).

Second half of the year - if the season has 20 races, then you analyze last 10 races, not last 5...

Only in the last 5 races Massa was faster, but not always.

#2705 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:42

From race 11 (Hungary) to 15 (Suzuka) there was not a single moment when Massa was faster. When Massa beat him in the races like Suzuka or Spa it's because Alonso didn't race (first corner incidents) and in these races Massa was beaten by Alonso in qualy by half a second (both cases, Suzuka and Spa).

Second half of the year - if the season has 20 races, then you analyze last 10 races, not last 5...

Only in the last 5 races Massa was faster, but not always.

I wanted to type "second half of second half"

But okay then, he basically has been faster than Alonso since Alonso has been under WDC pressure (5 last races of last years and the start of this year with a WDC capable car)

Better? :)

Edited by F.M., 22 March 2013 - 10:43.

#2706 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,688 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:43

Looking at the tyre wear, only Lotus and Ferrari can win in the dry, unless the other teams fix their tyre munching until tomorrow.

#2707 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,688 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:43

Okay then, he basically has been faster than Alonso since Alonso has been under WDC pressure (5 last races of last years and the start of this year with a WDC capable car)

Alonso has been under WDC pressure for three years.

#2708 HPT

HPT

• 1,155 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:45

Guys, I just got back from the track. Sorry I don't have much to report because I didn't go around the track to observe the cars' behavior (it was too damn hot!!) but I did notice that Alonso's car ran with and without the extra cooling outlet next to the exhaust. It looks to me like it could perhaps be more than just for cooling purposes. The bodywork Ferrari displayed in front of their pits were all without the additional vent.

Just sharing some pics taken with my iphone so excuse the bad quality. And I won a Massa hat and a Ferrari paper weight made from aluminum (it is a mighty heavy thing for its size) by answering the most correct questions in the shortest amount of time in a quiz. The questions were all about Ferrari and Alonso so it was a piece of cake for me being a hardcore Alonso fan. It wasn't even a close contest. I scored 590 points while second placed guy was 380 :p

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by HPT, 22 March 2013 - 11:20.

#2709 Flamini

Flamini

• 793 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:49

But okay then, he basically has been faster than Alonso since Alonso has been under WDC pressure (5 last races of last years and the start of this year with a WDC capable car)

Better :)

#2710 Flamini

Flamini

• 793 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:52

HPT, you dominated the quiz like Red Bull/Vettel 2011 season :lol: :p

#2711 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:54

Better :)

:p

#2712 e34

e34

• 718 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:11

Points are given at the end of the race. With the exception of Brazil last year, I don't remember Massa being faster than Alonso throughout the race. Of course, last year Massa let Alonso through and didn't race him at the end of the season, but once Alonso was out of the scene, Massa pace suffered.

And for Massa being faster last weekend, well, he wasn't. Again, the aim is finishing the race, not qualifying better.

#2713 naiboz

naiboz

• 459 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:16

Pretty expensive paper weight :p nice prize :D

things are looking good, + vet/web dont seem so happy with the tyres

#2714 HPT

HPT

• 1,155 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:20

HPT, you dominated the quiz like Red Bull/Vettel 2011 season :lol: :p

:lol: :blush: :cool:

#2715 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,518 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:29

Please guys, don't feed them.

Pat Fry: “Today’s rain complicated our programme a bit, but overall, it was a positive Friday. As we saw in Australia, here again the key factor will be understanding tyre behaviour. Usually at this track, you need one more stop, but it’s still too early to say. This evening we will tackle the complex task of analysing the data because the rain arrived at the least opportune moment, just as Fernando and Felipe were doing a comparison of the two compounds. In the morning we managed to complete our planned programme, making the most of the better conditions to find the ideal set-up on both cars. Having tried various combinations, we think we know what direction to take for tomorrow’s qualifying”.

Fernando Alonso: “Today, the car worked well in all conditions and that is very good news for us. This circuit is more representative than Australia for evaluating the car’s performance and so it was important to understand here today if the positive feelings from the winter were not just an illusion. On my lap on the Medium tyres, I did not have the right balance, otherwise I could have managed to improve, as I did on the Hards and I could probably have been on the “front row.” Now we must see how tomorrow goes, when it could rain at any moment and on a track where tyre degradation is much higher than in Melbourne. With a high number of pit stops likely, a car that works better in the race than in qualifying could be an advantage. However, tomorrow we will try and do our best to get a place on the front row, because, as usual, the start, strategy and pit stops will hold the key”.

Felipe Massa: “Overall, it was a good day, even if the rain that arrived for the end of the second session cost us some valuable time, when it came to comparing the two compounds over a long run. The car responded well in both sessions and, as for the tyres Pirelli brought here, I felt much more comfortable on the Mediums that we’d already used in Australia. We now have a long evening to work on understanding what the real behaviour of the tyres is, because that is definitely what can make the difference and could make us more competitive, as we prepare for both qualifying and the race”.

#2716 fololo

fololo

• 960 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:50

Please guys, don't feed them.

someone analysize long rung pace

#2717 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,116 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:50

It's way too early to be sure that the car is fast and reliable. We've only had Albert Park. Let's not forget that RB had a disastrous race in Australia (for their standards).

The only thing we can conclude is that Ferrari surely made a good start.

#2718 yoyogetfunky

yoyogetfunky

• 856 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:55

Extremely good start for Ferrari. Well done guys. Bring it on tomorrow :)

#2719 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:14

Again, today Massa was consistently faster than Alonso... what's going on :confused:

Massa consistenly faster?

Practice 1
4. Alonso
7. Massa

Practice 2
3. Massa
4. Alonso

Massa is as consistenly faster than Alonso as Webber has been consistenly faster than Vettel during todays practice.

Edited by fabr68, 22 March 2013 - 12:15.

Advertisement

#2720 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:21

Good vibes from the team but I want to see how the car performs on a hot qualy and a hot race before jumping into any conclusion. Red Bulls are up there on FPs which usually means an easy pole. Let's see if they have the same degradation problems on different conditions. Kimi is probably the favourite for the race but I rely on Ferrari's development capability to win that battle for the WDC/WCC. I'd would be happy with a second row and a podium.

#2721 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,449 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:34

FernandoAlonsoOficial

Good free practice today and good feelings. This in a very different circuit compare Australia. Good news ...;)))

#2722 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:48

They look upbeat and they probably have good reasons to be, but from what I gather from the time sheets, it doesn't look like a doable front row.

Waiting for long stint data.

#2723 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:52

They look upbeat and they probably have good reasons to be, but from what I gather from the time sheets, it doesn't look like a doable front row.

Waiting for long stint data.

Difficult to take conclusions because of the rain.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by showtime, 22 March 2013 - 12:54.

#2724 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 13:01

This actually looks quite good for Ferrari, but it's not revealing because of the lack of known parameters. And the Mercedes looks strong.

#2725 fololo

fololo

• 960 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 13:02

This actually looks quite good for Ferrari, but it's not revealing because of the lack of known parameters. And the Mercedes looks strong.

i dont understand anything about this....

someone summarize it

#2726 pusko

pusko

• 507 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 13:09

i dont understand anything about this....

someone summarize it

:rotfl: I agree...this graphs are useless...at least concerning Alonso.

#2727 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 13:10

Someone will do it better than me, but basically, the lower the line for a particular car, the faster it goes on the stint.

And when the line suddenly jumps up, then it's the tyre failing.

Edited by Ravenak, 22 March 2013 - 13:10.

#2728 pusko

pusko

• 507 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 13:11

Someone will do it better than me, but basically, the lower the line for a particular car, the faster it goes on the stint.

And when the line suddenly jumps up, then it's the tyre failing.

So looking at the middle graph -> we are screwd! :rotfl:

#2729 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 13:11

It's the middle graph that's interesting, the two others are useless.

#2730 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 13:12

Ah damn, I'm colorblind and I thought Rosberg's line was Fernando's lol

Edited by Ravenak, 22 March 2013 - 13:12.

#2731 Rajdeep

Rajdeep

• 67 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 13:17

I guess we can't say anything about the degradation as so few laps were done. What we can say is that the initial pace, on full tanks, of the Ferraris are very strong, based on the middle graph...

#2732 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 13:28

Hopefully it's gonna rain anyway, because I don't share Ferrari's optimism at all.

Of course, I'm a simple observer, and not as good as some of you guys, and they know where they are, but...

#2733 pusko

pusko

• 507 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 13:29

The most important and "usable" infos are comments from Massa, Alonso,...
If they are happy, so are we.

#2734 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 13:34

The most important and "usable" infos are comments from Massa, Alonso,...
If they are happy, so are we.

Well, it shouldn't be. Good info are the stints' times and the aspect of their tyres.

#2735 pusko

pusko

• 507 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 13:36

Well, it shouldn't be. Good info are the stints' times and the aspect of their tyres.

I agree, but we don't know what are they testing, how much fuel is in the car, etc...I believe SF ALWAYS know more than any of us do.
So lets trust them...specially after Melbourne. :clap:

#2736 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 13:39

I trust what they have to say... after the results :p

#2737 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,747 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 13:41

Should be a very strong weekend for the F138. In Melbourne I correctly predicted before the race that at least one of the Ferrari's will be P3 by lap 2. This time I think P1 after 2 laps is on the cards, if they qualify in the top 5. Their start system is a very reliable and unique strength for a while now.

#2738 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,449 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 13:54

ALONSO: Very good news

Today, the car worked well in all conditions and that is very good news for us.

#2739 fololo

fololo

• 960 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 16:36

ALONSO: Very good news

Today, the car worked well in all conditions and that is very good news for us.

Race pace looks excellent again......

Qualy will be interesting..... i dont mind if vettel gets pole... we will overtake him in the race.....

Advertisement

#2740 aray

aray

• 2,543 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 16:36

both drivers on podium is very realistic now...:up:

#2741 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,688 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 17:00

IntelligentF1 says there is not enough data to make a call, so I'll refrain from posting the analysis results here, and will just say that Lotus is probably fast, Ferrari as well, and RB is the fastest, but has no race pace due to deg. Nevertheless, lots of info at the link.

#2742 fololo

fololo

• 960 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 17:25

IntelligentF1 says there is not enough data to make a call, so I'll refrain from posting the analysis results here, and will just say that Lotus is probably fast, Ferrari as well, and RB is the fastest, but has no race pace due to deg. Nevertheless, lots of info at the link.

Rb only fast 1lap.

Tyres excuses are bullshit

In melbourne both vettel and alonso had fresh new tyre and alonso was 1 sec faster, this has nothing to do with degration...

#2743 SunnyENTP

SunnyENTP

• 717 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 18:02

both drivers on podium is very realistic now...:up:

So finally you agree Ferrari is the fastest car?  ;)

#2744 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,904 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 18:16

Fernando said the car is front row material. Hopefully that ends all this 'all he does is say the car is rubbish to big himself up'.

#2745 Spa

Spa

• 139 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 18:24

It is really interesting that both drivers are so upbeat about the car when they (Alonso specially) use play it down every weekend... I cant wait for tomorrows Q!!!

Cheers! ;-)

#2746 aray

aray

• 2,543 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 18:25

So finally you agree Ferrari is the fastest car? ;)

No...i just believe both drivers are in top form and hence will bring down the gap by merit... :wave:

#2747 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 18:25

Fernando said the car is front row material. Hopefully that ends all this 'all he does is say the car is rubbish to big himself up'.

Well, he said today he could have been on the "front row" but for some balance problems (which was already obvious looking at Massa's time). We won't see how fast each car can be until tomorrow. I expect RB to get an easy 1-2 unless it rains.

#2748 fololo

fololo

• 960 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 18:39

Well, he said today he could have been on the "front row" but for some balance problems (which was already obvious looking at Massa's time). We won't see how fast each car can be until tomorrow. I expect RB to get an easy 1-2 unless it rains.

let them get 1 and 2

in the race they get owned by lotus and ferrari anyways...

#2749 SunnyENTP

SunnyENTP

• 717 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 18:41

No...i just believe both drivers are in top form and hence will bring down the gap by merit... :wave:

Gap to who?

#2750 Forma1

Forma1

• 351 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 19:36

I can't see any way to beat RB and Kimi in qualy. Actually I expect us on the 4-6 place with half a second gap to the front. Lotus are superb in sector one, RB in the middle part of the track. So try to keep your expectation in control, at least as far as qualy is concerned.

Unfortunately I am still makin experience that some people can't realize Fernando never said bullshit when he claimed the car was miles behind the front-runners. Whoever can't figure out that Ferrari were one full second behind the front teams at most of the qualy sessions in the last two years, don't know the numbers and can't see how though those cars were to drive. As for the F138, this is a much better car, but to call it the best is a long long way to go. In qualy it is nowhere near to Lotus and RB, in race it is there or thereabouts, but we have to wait a bit more. Teams will get used to the tyres and the number of pit stops will be reduced hence pure/raw pace will be much of a factor, so RB can come alive again.