Posted 28 January 2013 - 16:11

:rolleyes:

Define irony

Advertisement

#202 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 908 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 17:28

Perhaps a subject that will come up again over this season, as both Mclaren and Ferrari use the Cologne Tunnel. I rather doubt it however.

#203 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,585 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 20:28

It seems that Ferrari it's going to build a new simulator to match the new "state of the art" Maranello wind tunnel, they were thinking about hiring Buemi, at the end was Pedro, at least according to the Spanish media.

Sounds promising

#204 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,910 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 21:02

Posted Image

I think a single orange 50 on the rearwing endplate would looks pretty cool, just subtle though.

From the McLaren thread, and it is the exact same pic as the Ferrari one. So the car is not underneath those sheets.

#205 chumma

chumma

• 960 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 21:09

From the McLaren thread, and it is the exact same pic as the Ferrari one. So the car is not underneath those sheets.

Its the same image McLaren have used for 2 years now.

#206 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 21:37

I think no F1 car ever was under the sheets as portrayed in that picture.

Interesting that Mclaren changed colors from silver to red. I am sure that does not mean Mclaren will be sporting an all red livery :cat:

#207 DaiMOn

DaiMOn

• 194 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 21:53

F2013? :rotfl:

Posted Image Posted Image

#208 AyrtonSauna

AyrtonSauna

• 426 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:44

Exactly it sounds very strange to me as well.

Schumacher never missed out on doing testing, but maybe now with new simulators it's ok to do it. I just feel that driving the real car on track is going to give you way more information and feeling then you can ever get in a simulator. And besides that that excuse of working on his condition is a bad one really.

I mean he has had all winter to work on his condition and if it all depends on those 4 days of not testing then it would be a worlds first. But i assume Alonso thinks he can afford to lose the track time.

I can understand the philosophy behind Alonso's testing schedule
Its complete nonsense that Alonso is out of shape or injured like some have suggested.Just look at his twitter to understand how superbly fit he is.Ok so he's going to reach a new peak of fitness before the season starts.That's all good.

Consider;

* Alonso is doing 3 days in a row at the 1st test in Barca.
*Barca is a better test track than Jerez.The only reason they go to Jerez for the 1st winter test is because of the warmer weather.
*Teams usually do substantially more mileage in the latter tests once all the stop/start procedures of system checks at the 1st test has been done.
*Even though Massa is doing 6 days testing compared to Alonso's 5,Alonso will be doing 5 days testing compered to Massa's 3 at the better test track of Barca where more mileage per day is usually done.Alonso will probably end up doing more mileage overall than Massa in all tests when you consider all these factors!
*Pedro's input for the whole season as Simulator King will be much more valuable after a day of real testing.No use having too many cooks in the kitchen or too many drivers at 1 test.
*Alonso gets an extra 2 weeks away from the track while probably he ends up doing more testing mileage than Massa!.The extra break will only do a workaholic like Alonso the world of good after such a hard and long battle last year.

#209 HPT

HPT

• 1,159 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:57

I can understand the philosophy behind Alonso's testing schedule
Its complete nonsense that Alonso is out of shape or injured like some have suggested.Just look at his twitter to understand how superbly fit he is.Ok so he's going to reach a new peak of fitness before the season starts.That's all good.

Consider;

* Alonso is doing 3 days in a row at the 1st test in Barca.
*Barca is a better test track than Jerez.The only reason they go to Jerez for the 1st winter test is because of the warmer weather.
*Teams usually do substantially more mileage in the latter tests once all the stop/start procedures of system checks at the 1st test has been done.
*Even though Massa is doing 6 days testing compared to Alonso's 5,Alonso will be doing 5 days testing compered to Massa's 3 at the better test track of Barca where more mileage per day is usually done.Alonso will probably end up doing more mileage overall than Massa in all tests when you consider all these factors!
*Pedro's input for the whole season as Simulator King will be much more valuable after a day of real testing.No use having too many cooks in the kitchen or too many drivers at 1 test.
*Alonso gets an extra 2 weeks away from the track while probably he ends up doing more testing mileage than Massa!.The extra break will only do a workaholic like Alonso the world of good after such a hard and long battle last year.

Exactly. It's not just about the extra day or two that Alonso gains by not testing in Jerez. He won't spend any time traveling, checking in and out of hotels, etc. so he can fully focus on his training. That is more than a few days in terms of total time gained.

#210 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,464 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:16

I would not mind if Ferrari would launch such a rocket. I guess all would be shocked and it would be hard to copy :rotfl:

#211 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:17

Ferrari is right.

Early days are used for aerodynamic testing with sensors attached everywhere.
Speeds are low and constant for checking wind tunnel/track correlation.
All done with a generous bath of flow vis.

Its just for datalog purposes, not performance or car setting.

It is better to have Alonso at Ferrari headquarters comparing the data to last year's car and make analysis.
Talking over the phone with the track people, etc.

Nowadays there is much more virtualization on car development.

Edited by V3TT3L, 29 January 2013 - 19:03.

#212 pikamoku

pikamoku

• 328 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:40

about FA missing first test, IMO, it's not that important. Both Felipe an PdlR are experienced drivers. They know how to tell tech-guys how the car behaves.

but.... this FA issue may be related to FA triathlon activities. It was reported that he would take part on iroman distance this month. Iroman distance is not just a simple triathlon (and just sprint distance is hard enough) and requires full time dedication (train, eat, rest, train, eat, rest, train, eat, rest an so on). It'd be posible that FA get an excepcion from Ferrari duties untill finish this race

from last september (spanish)
http://atletas.info/...rer-un-ironman/
http://diariodeltria...segunda_opcion/

Edited by pikamoku, 29 January 2013 - 07:17.

#213 elemist

elemist

• 30 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:43

Fingers crossed...

#214 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,660 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 15:36

Posted Image

#215 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 916 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 15:46

F150

#216 fololo

fololo

• 960 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 17:34

F150

I think we will be nearly 1second off the pace from mclaren and redbull... Consindering on the last circuit we were 0.8 seconds behind this is better than last year

#217 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 908 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 17:37

F150

Mp4-24, R29, R31, F1.09.....

#218 TigersWood

TigersWood

• 132 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 18:29

Some people are saying that Alonso complained about lack of tests, and it doesn't make sense to miss a day of testing.

I think it is very clear and everything is very simple.

One thing is to have more test FOR THE CAR, FOR THE TEAM IN GENERAL. TO TEST NEW PARTS AND NOT RELY ONLY IN THE SIMULATOR.

The other thing is TO DRIVE IN THE TESTS. Alonso has said more than once that testing is not as funny as racing. Every driver thinks that.

See? You don't see conspiracies where there aren't.

And please, Fernando is not injured! Come on.....

One question: according to the last two years, which driver needs more days of testing to get used to the new tyres specially, Felipe Massa or Fernando Alonso?

Edited by TigersWood, 29 January 2013 - 18:29.

#219 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,387 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 19:10

I think we will be nearly 1second off the pace from mclaren and redbull... Consindering on the last circuit we were 0.8 seconds behind this is better than last year

I'm worried about this. Our form at the end of the season didn't point to a car with a solid foundation. It was visibly hard to drive and not on the pace with the other top teams, even after a season's worth of development. Its not like we were gaining on the other teams, either. Instead it looked like we had fallen back.

Its hard to be optimistic about the F2013. They'll need to pull out some magic to get it on a level with Red Bull and Mclaren and I'm not sure how much room for magic there is. My highest expectations would be a car that is about three to five tenths off the pace at the start of the season. That'll make the championship VERY difficult still, but I dont see Ferrari going from their form at the end of 2012 to leading pace in a time where rule changes are minimal.

Advertisement

#220 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,429 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 19:14

Did you photoshop these yourself?

#221 tmprikol

tmprikol

• 48 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 19:32

I'm worried about this. Our form at the end of the season didn't point to a car with a solid foundation. It was visibly hard to drive and not on the pace with the other top teams, even after a season's worth of development. Its not like we were gaining on the other teams, either. Instead it looked like we had fallen back.

Its hard to be optimistic about the F2013. They'll need to pull out some magic to get it on a level with Red Bull and Mclaren and I'm not sure how much room for magic there is. My highest expectations would be a car that is about three to five tenths off the pace at the start of the season. That'll make the championship VERY difficult still, but I dont see Ferrari going from their form at the end of 2012 to leading pace in a time where rule changes are minimal.

I see your point, but wasn't Lotus at least that much off the pace in 2011 and then made a pretty decent front running car come Australia 2012 without arguably any revolutionary innovations on their car.

#222 DaiMOn

DaiMOn

• 194 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 19:45

Did you photoshop these yourself?

Nope, found these renders in another forum a few days ago. I'm not sure who is the original source, but the author must have some serious 3D skills... :)

#223 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,910 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 20:34

I see your point, but wasn't Lotus at least that much off the pace in 2011 and then made a pretty decent front running car come Australia 2012 without arguably any revolutionary innovations on their car.

Did they stop developing their car towards the end of 2011? They could have been focusing on the 2 new drivers.
3 more days now. Will be interesting, however I also remain a little cautious. Everything is there to help them succeed, but last yar and 2011 lingers deep.

#224 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 21:42

It is a big concern. However the DRS limited use for qualifying should dampen things a little bit. If Alonso was able to fight at the front on many races with an average starting 5th position, starting closer to the front should help.

The biggest risk lays on Ferrari making another fundamental design mistake and the car ends up creating lift instead of downforce. Catching up again may be much more difficult this year.

#225 AyrtonSauna

AyrtonSauna

• 426 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 21:58

I don't see any point in being pessimistic even before the new car is unveiled especially with all the new hirings in the aero department Ferrari have made,the exclusive use of the Toyota wind tunnel this year,David Sanchez doing some magic with wings like he did at McLaren and I must admit that I've always been more impressed with McLarens wings more than any other team.
The multitude of changes,even De la Rossa add up to a change in performance and I can only see Ferrari being much better this year.

A rule change that that isn't minimal is banning free use of DRS in qualifying! Even Kimi Raikkonen agrees with this change...
Alonso probably would have won the WDC last year if this rule was implemented because the race pace was pretty good for most of the season but we had a slower car in qualli because of silly 2-faced DRS regs.
Race pace was our stronger point and if Ferrari continue this way then the DRS reg change is a big boost for the Reds.

#226 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,387 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 22:02

I think the rule changes from 11->12 were a bit bigger than 12->13. Banning the EBD's of 2011 allowed for more parity. Even then, Lotus were still the surprise of 2012 I think. There's always surprises, sure.

It is a big concern. However the DRS limited use for qualifying should dampen things a little bit. If Alonso was able to fight at the front on many races with an average starting 5th position, starting closer to the front should help.

The biggest risk lays on Ferrari making another fundamental design mistake and the car ends up creating lift instead of downforce. Catching up again may be much more difficult this year.

Yea, I'm thinking the DRS situation alone could get us maybe 1-2 tenths closer in qualifying, which will definitely help. Hopefully Ferrari comes up with something good in the exhaust area as I think we hit a development dead-end with it last year. Even if its just a similar idea to what Red Bull had(and Lotus have now), it could bring us slightly closer assuming that Red Bull hasn't come up with something even crazier or anything.

There's obviously a few other areas that could use improving, as well. Hopefully they can check a decent amount of boxes the next couple months.

#227 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,026 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:36

We can close up but Red Bull already have a bit of an advantage last season end, lets hope they don't find too much for this year. Hope Newey is staring at a wall.

#228 elemist

elemist

• 30 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:19

Mclaren showed you don't need Newey. No more excuses or heads must roll. The last 4 years have been substandard cars, even 2010 Ferrari were no match for Redbull 90% of the time.

#229 Massa

Massa

• 4,281 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:10

Heads must roll for who ? It's easy to say this kind of stuff...

#230 elemist

elemist

• 30 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:30

Heads must roll for who ? It's easy to say this kind of stuff...

Stefano is number 1, then the main designers. Its an embarrassment that a team of Ferrari's stature are having these wind tunnel issues as well.

#231 Massa

Massa

• 4,281 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:34

For who ?

#232 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:50

We can close up but Red Bull already have a bit of an advantage last season end, lets hope they don't find too much for this year. Hope Newey is staring at a wall.

I think perhaps the biggest advantage RBR have going into this season is that the ramp and tunnel seem to be the way to go and they spent most of last season developing and refining it (not to mention just getting it to work right was not easy). That puts them way ahead of the other teams in a very important area.

But there are no guarantees it will be the only solution and this is all mostly speculation on my part anyway.

#233 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,182 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:37

Sky Sports F1 ‏@SkySportsF1
Ferrari confirm their 2013 car will be called the F138 - the name a combination of the current year and the number of engine cylinders
10:34 AM - 30 Jan 13 ·

Thread renamed :)

#234 VoonDerful

VoonDerful

• 120 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:41

interesting naming system.

Also a memorial to the V8.

#235 Scotracer

Scotracer

• 2,692 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:45

Similar to their Berlinetta naming convention - 458 is 4.5 V8. 355 was 3.55 V8, 360 was 3.6 V8, 430 was 4.3 V8...

#236 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:45

Sky Sports F1 ‏@SkySportsF1
Ferrari confirm their 2013 car will be called the F138 - the name a combination of the current year and the number of engine cylinders
10:34 AM - 30 Jan 13 ·

Thread renamed :)

A nice nod to the V8.

@Evan Rainer: I mostly agree with you. Last year I made more or less educated guess that the RBR-style exhaust layout had more potential but was considerably more difficult to get right. If, and this is a very big if, this is the case RBR will have the great advantage of having a great wealth of experience with it compared to teams hopping on the bandwagon. Of course this doesn't mean that the 'centotrentotto won't have a development of the McLaren downwash path.

#237 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:11

Posted Image

#238 VoonDerful

VoonDerful

• 120 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:17

Zanardi @ Maranello

Posted Image

#239 Goron3

Goron3

• 601 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:21

Zanardi @ Maranello

Posted Image

True legend.

Advertisement

#240 ArkZ

ArkZ

• 551 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:33

"Special" names brings painful memories F60, F150th at least in last years , I would go for F2013.

Edited by ArkZ, 30 January 2013 - 11:33.

#241 sheepgobba

sheepgobba

• 1,092 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:58

"Special" names brings painful memories F60, F150th at least in last years , I would go for F2013.

Exactly what I was thinking too :/

#242 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,800 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:58

It is better to have Alonso at Ferrari headquarters comparing the data to last year's car and make analysis..

:lol:

#243 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,660 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:11

I think it's a great name, only 2 days to go and I have a good feeling :)

#244 icewest07

icewest07

• 220 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:34

Like your Simpsom avatar maybe? :kiss:
LOL

#245 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,660 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:56

From Gazzetta.

Posted Image

#246 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 908 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 13:52

Way larger sidepod intakes on that illustration. I don't remember the F2012 having many cooling issues?

Sadly, my Italian is a little rusty, so I cant make much sense of the rest. Passive DRS and a Sauber style exhaust ramp? I hope Ferrari have gone for a modesty plate. If there's one car on the grid that should be beautiful it is the prancing horse.
Piola is usually very good, I think he has good sources on the inside(?). His impression of last years car was quite good, bar the exaggerated CS wings.

#247 ed24f1

ed24f1

• 973 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 14:20

Similar to their Berlinetta naming convention - 458 is 4.5 V8. 355 was 3.55 V8, 360 was 3.6 V8, 430 was 4.3 V8...

Odd though, as they already marked the V8 era with the 248-F1 in 2006.

I guess there's a good chance next year's might be the 166 based on '06.

#248 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,387 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 14:28

I think perhaps the biggest advantage RBR have going into this season is that the ramp and tunnel seem to be the way to go and they spent most of last season developing and refining it (not to mention just getting it to work right was not easy). That puts them way ahead of the other teams in a very important area.

But there are no guarantees it will be the only solution and this is all mostly speculation on my part anyway.

This is true, but teams also would have had the ability to observe and test Red Bull's concept and developments in their CFD designs or whatever, getting a better idea of how it works. It was perhaps too much of a change for any team to make midseason, but it should help make gettings things rolling easier this year.

Either that, or like you said, Ferrari might have something different up their sleeve. I'd like to say we'll find out in two days, but like with certain teams, the launch car might be a bit of smoke and mirrors compared to whats being sent to Jerez.

#249 Tuxy

Tuxy

• 950 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 15:05

If there's one car on the grid that should be beautiful it is the prancing horse.
Piola is usually very good, I think he has good sources on the inside(?). His impression of last years car was quite good, bar the exaggerated CS wings.

For me, a beautiful racing car is a winning one.

I just want to see Ferrari bring home another championship after two failed bids in the last 3 years. I still get upset when I think about Abu Dhabi 2010. :cry:

#250 aray

aray

• 2,599 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 15:19

From Gazzetta.

Posted Image

if that's true then Ferrari too going for RB like exhaust... :well: