• 909 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 16:48

er

Advertisement

#3202 Spa

Spa

• 139 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 18:15

Well, Iridescent talked about "tweaks" and not a "completely new" (floor, exhausts and difuser)... so we won't know until China how substantial the tweaks are. In any case, hopefully the updates will work fine...

I am praying for a dry race so we can get a better idea of the pecking order...

Cheers! ;-)

Edited by Spa, 03 April 2013 - 18:18.

#3203 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,822 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 18:30

With regards to the China update, Fry himself was quoted as saying

"It will be challenging testing things at a track that is not used that often, so we have to see. There are more bits coming through for Melbourne, more for Malaysia and a bigger upgrade for China - so we have a reasonable development plan going."

[source: http://www.autosport...t.php/id/105834]

Let's hope this supposed big update for China works well.

"Bigger than Melbourne and Malaysia updates" does not necessarily make it a "big update"

#3204 apexpredator

apexpredator

• 242 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 20:15

"Bigger than Melbourne and Malaysia updates" does not necessarily make it a "big update"

This season I don't think there will be the kind of 'big' update that we saw last year in Spain and Canada. As Ferrari said, it's all about the detail and refinement this year, the designs have been pretty much exploited to the max nobody's going to come out with huge upgrade packages that bring chunks of time.

#3205 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 20:32

With regards to the China update, Fry himself was quoted as saying

"It will be challenging testing things at a track that is not used that often, so we have to see. There are more bits coming through for Melbourne, more for Malaysia and a bigger upgrade for China - so we have a reasonable development plan going."

[source: http://www.autosport...t.php/id/105834]

Let's hope this supposed big update for China works well.

Only natural. Australia generally sees a few bit compared to last testing. Malaysia is only 1 week later and overseas. The 3 week break before China gives teams the opportunity to bring a few pieces.

#3206 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,822 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 20:36

This season I don't think there will be the kind of 'big' update that we saw last year in Spain and Canada. As Ferrari said, it's all about the detail and refinement this year, the designs have been pretty much exploited to the max nobody's going to come out with huge upgrade packages that bring chunks of time.

Agreed, if you put it that way. "Let's hope this supposed big update for China works well" kind of sent me on the wrong track :)

#3207 vlado

vlado

• 192 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:46

Not sure what it is, but I really like how this year's car looks...and I never really liked the higher nose trend.

It just looks.. mean.. :up:

Posted Image

#3208 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 1,197 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:59

Not sure what it is, but I really like how this year's car looks...and I never really liked the higher nose trend.

Posted Image

Is that an updated front wing? It has a full span split upper flap. I don't think it was raced??

Edited by ConsiderAndGo, 04 April 2013 - 07:00.

#3209 Claudiu

Claudiu

• 193 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:05

I've got this sick feeling that when RedBull will solve their tire issue problems we are gonna be in for a big shock :-| hope I am wrong though ...

#3210 HPT

HPT

• 1,165 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:49

I've got this sick feeling that when RedBull will solve their tire issue problems we are gonna be in for a big shock :-| hope I am wrong though ...

I have the same fear too. On one hand, it's really possible for them to solve it as McLaren did last season while on the other hand, it's not such an easy thing to do, as Mercedes found out last year.

#3211 tifosii

tifosii

• 35 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:37

you are not wrong..i think so too
what we can do is hope that they never fix out the tire issue problems

#3212 Goron3

Goron3

• 623 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:37

I'm worried about this too but for the first time since 2008 I'm actually hearing positive comments coming from the drivers and the everyone else at Ferrari so I've got a feeling that our updates coming from China could be very useful.

Out of interest, Pat Fry said some time ago that the car was behind schedule and some key parts were still in the wind tunnel. Any chance that these might come for China or were they all put on for Australia? I'm also keen to see if we will run DRD an point soon.

#3213 Spa

Spa

• 139 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:55

What I actually fear is what happened last season, Pirelli was too conservative with their tyre choices for the second half of the season, so if we don't (somehow) close the downforce gap with the Bulls, they will kill us again in the end...

Cheers! ;-)

Edited by Spa, 04 April 2013 - 09:56.

#3214 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,792 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:07

What I actually fear is what happened last season, Pirelli was too conservative with their tyre choices for the second half of the season, so if we don't (somehow) close the downforce gap with the Bulls, they will kill us again in the end...

Cheers! ;-)

Pirelli had to that as the first 7 races of the season turned out to be a lottery for the most part.

#3215 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:27

Posted Image

DITTO

#3216 Spa

Spa

• 139 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:31

Pirelli had to that as the first 7 races of the season turned out to be a lottery for the most part.

That’s your opinion.

In my view it was a "Pontius Pilate" decision, that way Pirelli avoided any responsibility and washed their hands regarding the final outcome, it was intelligent though…
I think challenging tires added a new flavor to Formula 1, first and foremost it is fair, as they are the same (tires) for everyone, races are much more interesting this way, so why make them less of a factor? Do you prefer what happened in 2010? (one stop races and little to no action on track)

To my taste, the entertainment is much better now… and better still if it plays in the hands of the F138.

Cheers! ;-)

#3217 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 16:15

Ever since Pirelli changed the tires mid season last year, Ferrari had correlation issues.

I hope the tires are not touched this season and let them be what they are now.

#3218 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 1,197 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 16:18

Ever since Pirelli changed the tires mid season last year, Ferrari had correlation issues.

No. Ferrari had correlation issues ever since the car circuited Jerez.

#3219 apexpredator

apexpredator

• 242 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 16:53

Ferrari had the infamous correlation issues for years now. They spoke of it in 2010 and 2011 too. It was just more in the spotlight last year because the F2012 started out particularly badly.

I hope we won't be hearing any more of it this season, courtesy of Toyota.

Advertisement

#3220 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,688 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 18:17

Although very OT, a small present to anybody not familiar with this video. At least it is a Ferrari though.

http://www.youtube.c...p;v=k9-BZ0NbriI

#3221 saudoso

saudoso

• 4,635 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 18:31

@insideFerrari just tweeted the word "Terremoto"(earthquake? it is in portuguese) and then removed the tweet. Anyone has a clue?

Edited by saudoso, 05 April 2013 - 18:31.

#3222 TC3000

TC3000

• 1,021 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 18:48

@insideFerrari just tweeted the word "Terremoto"(earthquake? it is in portuguese) and then removed the tweet. Anyone has a clue?

not sure, but perhaps he was referring to this,
but then realist, that it was a "non story".
Could be something entirely different off course.

#3223 Goron3

Goron3

• 623 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 19:03

The tyres changed last season? They were more conservative yes but same compounds. The Ferrari was at its weakest at the beginning of the year.

#3224 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,938 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 19:27

I believe Peter Windsor has confirmed from a Ferrari source that the reason for Alonso's issues is due to a decision taken late last year to make the front suspension more rigid to maximise downforce.

Apparently this is not agreeing with his driving style.

#3225 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,475 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 20:42

Alonso is defacto no.1 and runs the team. I dont believe that.

#3226 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,938 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 20:55

Alonso is defacto no.1 and runs the team. I dont believe that.

Lol. Yeah.

Here is the video

Round the 36 minute mark they say. I haven't watched it...

#3227 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,475 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 21:01

Watched it. They dont really go into anymore detail than the basic gist of it.

But hey - if it makes it go round the squiggly bits faster - :up:

#3228 Spa

Spa

• 139 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:57

I am pretty sure Alonso prefers a faster car also, driving a car he doesn't lack (self-)confidence in his adaptation abilities...

Cheers! ;-)

#3229 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,819 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:16

I don't see that theory that difficult to believe, I'm pretty sure that he will prefer a car with more downforce even if he needs to go out of his comfort zone to change his driving style a little.

Edited by kosmos, 07 April 2013 - 10:18.

#3230 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,926 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:22

I don't think Alonso is struggling, though. 2 qualifyings in dodgy conditions, no DRS for the first one, and had a wetter track than Felipe for the other. In Aus, where they both finished Alonso was his usual self.

Only difference I see is a Felipe Massa who isn't struggling anymore.

But if this theory is true, Alonso will find a way to change his style to accommodate this and will hopefully be even faster.

Btw, RBR did a straight line speed aero test in Idiada yesterday, and Ferrari plan on one today.

Full article is in Italian:
http://www.f1sport.i...uber-e-ferrari/

Google translate s dodgy, but here you go:

Idiada, April 6, 2013 - Idiada in this hour is very busy, if yesterday hosted a test Red Bull Sauber will today probably arrived yesterday with his truck. On Sunday, however most likely it will be for Ferrari.

The test of Red Bull held today at Idiada (confermatoci by our friend Louis Ferrante Ortero, a resident of nearby Vilafranca del Penedès), [now someone will be satisfied] has taken everyone by surprise. In fact, many were waiting for the arrival of Ferrari and instead to anticipate all was the Red Bull . Little has been heard about the test but some voices coming from Spain always talk about major changes to the structural level . Were introduced changes to discharges with an architecture very similar to that employed by Ferrari and McLaren (semi-Coanda). Finally, it would be tested in the new side-pods are completely different from those used on RB9 in the first two GP of the season.

The news reported yesterday on the track of the arrival of the Sauber Idiada, it has been reported as false, the pictures we had at first shown in fact turns out to be the first day of the month of February. There are no tests currently underway in Idiada.

As we told you yesterday already, in this [article] the Scuderia Ferrari should arrive in the afternoon of Idiada to make his test Sunday . How many remember the Red had already planned a test in Spain before the Australian Grand Prix in which he had to give up due to the adverse weather conditions. Some new solutions were in fact already ready for Melbourne but failing to check, it was decided not to use in the race. then these solutions will accrue to the large package provided updates on the Ferrari F138 and had already been widely heralded for its next GP of China . Updates should include changes to front and rear wings, the ramps of exhaust pipe and the diffuser.

#3231 Goron3

Goron3

• 623 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:11

I don't think Alonso is struggling, though. 2 qualifyings in dodgy conditions, no DRS for the first one, and had a wetter track than Felipe for the other. In Aus, where they both finished Alonso was his usual self.

But if this theory is true, Alonso will find a way to change his style to accommodate this and will hopefully be even faster.

Btw, RBR did a straight line speed aero test in Idiada yesterday, and Ferrari plan on one today.

Yeah he's been unlucky in both Qualy sessions and we still haven't seen his true race pace as he was in loads of traffic at Aus. Here's to China bringing us some good points and a tidy race.

#3232 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,611 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 20:14

Yeah Alonso will always find a way to adapt, it's one of his strengths. :up:

#3233 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,475 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 21:02

The changes were made last season, though. Its not like he hasn't had time to adapt yet.

I think he's doing fine, though. No worries on that front. If the car is faster and it allows Massa to be up there, I'm good. :)

#3234 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,611 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 21:14

Yeah, a 1-2 would be nice, it's long overdue.

#3235 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,475 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 21:19

Yeah, a 1-2 would be nice, it's long overdue.

It really is.

#3236 Gintonious

Gintonious

• 981 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:32

Let me just say...RACE WEEK!!!!

These dam 3 week breaks can **** off.

#3237 pusko

pusko

• 554 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:54

:up:

#3238 Iridescent

Iridescent

• 347 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:04

Ah yes it's good to be back racing!

Also a little teaser until the fps :)

http://tinypic.com/v...pic=2pplcw6&s=6
http://tinypic.com/v...pic=3359m6h&s=6

#3239 Spa

Spa

• 139 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:32

http://tinypic.com/v...pic=2pplcw6&s=6

In my view... What a view!!! ;-)

Advertisement

#3240 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,926 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:04

Fry: More to come as we continue learning the car

Maranello, 9 April – This year, the Chinese Grand Prix celebrates its tenth birthday, with every race having taken place at the massive and monolithic Shanghai International Circuit. As Formula 1 has expanded its horizons in recent years, it has generally headed for nations that were expanding their economy. That was definitely the case when the sport landed in the country with the second highest Gross Domestic Product. Since then, China’s growth on the automotive front has run at the speed of a Formula 1 machine, making it the second largest market in the world for Ferrari road cars: just under 800 cars were shipped to the area known as Greater China in 2012, with no less than 500 going to China itself. Motor sport is expanding in the region and later in the year, the Shanghai circuit hosts a round of the Asia-Pacific series of the Ferrari Challenge one-make championship. The Grand Prix teams have yet to perform to a full house at this circuit on the outskirts of Shanghai and that is unlikely to change until a Chinese driver makes it to the grid. Here too the Maranello marque is helping to promote motor sport, and the Ferrari Driver Academy is working with the Chinese Automobile Federation to increase awareness of the sport and to assist young drivers.

Last year, running a three stop strategy in the less than competitive F2012, Fernando Alonso finished ninth, while a two stopping Felipe Massa was thirteenth. Twelve months on, the Brazilian is confident that a better weekend is in prospect. “I know we have only done two races, but I have a good feeling so far this season,” says Felipe. “The work we did with the F138 over the winter has taken us in the right direction and the car has much more potential. Of course, I always want to be fighting for the win, although that did not work out in the first two races, but the signs were good with an excellent race pace and now we have to keep moving forward race by race.” After just two Grands Prix, it would be unreasonable to expect to see any definite trends emerging. “All I can say is that there are definitely more than two teams that are capable of fighting for the wins and the championship,” reckons Felipe. “Our team is one of them, with the car moving forward in the right way and it is delivering results on track that we expected when looking at data in the wind tunnel and the factory. In Melbourne we had a car that was capable of winning and in Malaysia the car was again competitive, even if conditions made the race something of a lottery.

In the break since Malaysia, Massa, along with Alonso, has spent some time at the factory in Maranello and that’s put him in a reasonably confident frame of mind for the coming weekend. “We are well prepared for China and we will have all the updates we hoped to bring with us in Shanghai, after work in the factory and the simulator last week,” he revealed. “I hope this translates into a further performance improvement on track. Shanghai is a very nice track with a variety of corner types and fast straights, so you definitely need a car that works well in the fast sections, but you also need it to have plenty of downforce to deal with the tighter turns. We can expect to see quite high tyre degradation, especially on the fronts. As to the Brazilian’s expectations for the third round of the championship, the Paulista sums them up succinctly: “the aim is to fight for a lot more points, for a podium, for a win even, because you have to set yourself high targets.”

It is part of a driver’s make-up to always be optimistic, but we can expect Technical Directors to be a bit more circumspect and that’s the case with the Scuderia’s Pat Fry. “We’ve shown reasonable race pace and on all the tyre types we have used so far we have performed well, however we still have a way to go to be quickest in qualifying and we are working very hard on that at the moment,” says the Englishman, when asked for an assessment of the first two chapters of this season. “We’ve been concentrating on the longer runs, even if they are not as long as in the past, because this year we expect more pit stops during a race. However, we have not ignored our qualifying pace. I am sure there is more to come on this front, as we learn more about our car and start getting the best out of it. The key will be to try and move our car development programme forward quicker than the other teams do. It’s a tough cycle that will last all year and we need to at least match our 2012 development pace if we are to perform better in qualifying. So far, we have worked well, all the way through from design to manufacture, improving on how we did things last year in terms of actually getting new bits onto the car. Also, our aero correlation is better.”

Fry is equally cautious when it comes to assessing the F138’s chances in China. “Shanghai is a challenging mix of different corner types and a 1.2 kilometre straight. Is it going to suit our car better than some others? It is too early to say, as there are too many unknowns. For example, it will be the first weekend this year that we will use the Pirelli Soft compound, along with the Medium. At the end of this Grand Prix, we will have a clearer picture of how all the tyres compare to one another. So to some degree, Shanghai will be another learning exercise for everyone, although we can say that our pace, relative to the other teams, has been okay on all the tyres we have tried so far.”

The Scuderia was the first team to have its name engraved on the Chinese GP winner’s trophy when Rubens Barrichello was first past the flag in 2004. There were a further two wins for the Prancing Horse, from Michael Schumacher in 2006 and Kimi Raikkonen in 2007. As for our current line-up, Fernando Alonso won, but not in red, in 2005. The Spaniard has started from pole twice and has two other podium finishes to his name. Felipe Massa’s best finish was a second place in 2008.

#3241 Claudiu

Claudiu

• 193 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 13:33

We can talk the talk, but can we walk the walk ?

Until I see some solid proof from us on a normal race track with normal conditions, I am holding my judgement, Australia is not really representative because its a special circuit and Sepang had bad weather, but already we could see we were not fast enough in qualy in the dry.

Edited by Claudiu, 09 April 2013 - 13:36.

#3242 Gintonious

Gintonious

• 981 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 14:24

hopefully the upgrades coming work as expected and they gives us improvement over 1 lap.

I'm not looking for a massive update, I much prefer seeing a team bring smaller updates throughout the season with the occasional big one.

#3243 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,475 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 15:00

Hate to play the victim card, but I like how people are now in agreement that our one lap pace is a weakness when I was blasted for suggesting that before. :p

#3244 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 1,197 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 15:05

Happy that all of the scheduled updates for this weekend are ready and available.

Let's hope they improve our one lap pace a little to do our race pace justice.

#3245 Abranet

Abranet

• 116 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:23

Very quiet in this thread considering we are on top of the GP weekend.

Hoping for a consistent weekend to start seeing the pecking order.

#3246 Gintonious

Gintonious

• 981 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:49

Hoping to see some nice parts on the car this weekend.

Although don't they usually show up by now?

#3247 Head

Head

• 58 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:12

new engine cover

Posted Image

#3248 naiboz

naiboz

• 460 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:13

is that not the cover from preseason tests?

scratch that, I just noticed theres not 2nd inlet above the role hoop

what was that for again? oil cooler? and now its gone

Edited by naiboz, 11 April 2013 - 11:23.

#3249 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,926 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:27

Hoping to see some nice parts on the car this weekend.

Although don't they usually show up by now?

nope. Remember there was a panic because we saw the old front wing in Aus and thought that the new one had stopped working and it was correlation issues again.
it turned out they raced the new one. FP1 is the time for new parts.

#3250 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,475 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:02

Remember there was a panic because we saw the old front wing in Aus and thought that the new one had stopped working and it was correlation issues again.

Hardly panic, c'mon. It was a slight concern. You guys were the ones that got all worked up about it once I mentioned it. :p