Photo

1963 TT in colour

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,802 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 22:17

The pleasant but seemingly never-ending task of sorting through my late father's collection of photographs recently unearthed a splash of colour in a sea of black and white, including some from practice day for the 1963 TT. The quality's not great but they're very atmospheric - and at least give a clue on one's proper dress code for the next Revival. So, in no particular order ...

Posted Image

Innes Ireland's DP214 Aston, with (I think) the Jack Sears/Ken Miles Shelby Cobra on track in the background. Not a very good crowd on practice day

Posted Image

The other Cobra taking part, driven by Bob Olthoff. It didn't make the start.

Posted Image

Posted Image

An early outing for the Lightweight E, with Salvadori's green car in the foreground and the white Coombs car just visible in the background of the second pic.

Posted Image

Someone has got the chicane all wrong - any idea who? Judging by the bigger crowd, this may be on race day.

Posted Image

I think this may be a drivers' briefing but may be wrong.

Posted Image

The Maranello Concessionaires GTO in the Paddock, with NGH worried about something at the rear (brakes?). He would start on pole and win the following day.

Posted Image

I blush to identify the young chap who seems more interested in the car than its driver (some things don't change).

Advertisement

#2 DJH

DJH

• 228 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 22:29

Superb, almost like being there. Thanks for posting the images.

#3 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,658 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 22:33

Marvellous photos Tony. Can you still tuck your jumper into your trousers without losing that slimline look?

Is that John Wyer crouching next to the E-Type?

#4 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,802 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 22:39

Marvellous photos Tony. Can you still tuck your jumper into your trousers without losing that slimline look?

The sounds of stitches under extreme pressure might be rather a giveaway :)

#5 pete53

pete53

• 725 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 22:48

I think that would be Tim Mayer's Cooper that has made a mess of the chicane - and the car. Obviously not the TT itself but the Formula Junior support race.

#6 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 23:01

Nothing at all wrong with the quality of these marvellous photos, Tony. 'Atmospheric' is an understatement. Thanks for posting them. I can't wait for the next instalment..

Is that John Wyer crouching next to the E-Type?

Looks more like one of Tommy Atkins' mechanics, wearing blue overalls, to me.

#7 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,533 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 23:03

I think that would be Tim Mayer's Cooper that has made a mess of the chicane - and the car. Obviously not the TT itself but the Formula Junior support race.

Wonderful pictures from a great event. That was Timmy Mayer's FJ Cooper. The incident created considerable controversy, and for the first time really significant questions were asked in high places about the wisdom of placing a very solid brick wall in the middle of a racing circuit...

DCN

#8 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:53

The pleasant but seemingly never-ending task of sorting through my late father's collection of photographs recently unearthed a splash of colour in a sea of black and white, including some from practice day for the 1963 TT. The quality's not great but they're very atmospheric - and at least give a clue on one's proper dress code for the next Revival. So, in no particular order ...

Posted Image

Innes Ireland's DP214 Aston, with (I think) the Jack Sears/Ken Miles Shelby Cobra on track in the background. Not a very good crowd on practice day

Posted Image

The other Cobra taking part, driven by Bob Olthoff. It didn't make the start.

Posted Image

Posted Image

An early outing for the Lightweight E, with Salvadori's green car in the foreground and the white Coombs car just visible in the background of the second pic.

Posted Image

Someone has got the chicane all wrong - any idea who? Judging by the bigger crowd, this may be on race day.

Posted Image

I think this may be a drivers' briefing but may be wrong.

Posted Image

The Maranello Concessionaires GTO in the Paddock, with NGH worried about something at the rear (brakes?). He would start on pole and win the following day.

Posted Image

I blush to identify the young chap who seems more interested in the car than its driver (some things don't change).

Interesting to see well known journalist and entrant Tommy Wisdom on the left of the last photo with his usual bundle of newspapers under his arm and the fag in his mouth l He famously entered Stirling Moss in his C type Jaguar in various events and his daughter Ann used to co-drive for Pat Moss in Rallies and went on to marry fellow rally driver and race driver Peter Riley

#9 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:38

What marvellous photographs Tony.

#10 257gary

257gary

• 21 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:04

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing!

#11 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:29

Roy Salvadori and John Coombes are clearly visible in that Drivers briefing photograph. Very nice pictures. Thank you for sharing them.

#12 Peter Darley

Peter Darley

• 286 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:39

Roy Salvadori and John Coombes are clearly visible in that Drivers briefing photograph. Very nice pictures. Thank you for sharing them.

....as is Sir John Whitmore, in windcheater and sunglasses, next to Salvadori. There are a couple more there I think I know, but would not name them unless 100% sure.

#13 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,533 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:51

....as is Sir John Whitmore, in windcheater and sunglasses, next to Salvadori. There are a couple more there I think I know, but would not name them unless 100% sure.

I believe Sir John is chatting to Moss - his entrant - with the tall sports-jacketed figure of Michael Parkes at the foot of the frame. That could be Ken Gregory with the dark glasses, top of frame.

Lovely shots Tony. Glad they don't give away too much of the real Goodwood - the cut-price flimsy timbers of the period paddock shelters, supporting the rusting corrugated iron roofing which clicked and groaned and rattled in high winds, and drummed deafeningly in heavy rain...as the pockets of our plastic Pac-a-Macs would progressively fill with water, and my curling cheese sandwiches in their greaseproof paper wrapping would silently - and so disappointingly - dissolve...
(granted, that was usually confined only to Easter Monday meetings - most Goodwood fixtures were, happily, run in the dry).

DCN

Edited by Doug Nye, 23 December 2012 - 09:54.

#14 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,489 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:35

Wonderful stuff, Tony. Its presence here is greatly appreciated.

#15 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:34

I believe Sir John is chatting to Moss - his entrant - with the tall sports-jacketed figure of Michael Parkes at the foot of the frame. That could be Ken Gregory with the dark glasses, top of frame.

Lovely shots Tony. Glad they don't give away too much of the real Goodwood - the cut-price flimsy timbers of the period paddock shelters, supporting the rusting corrugated iron roofing which clicked and groaned and rattled in high winds, and drummed deafeningly in heavy rain...as the pockets of our plastic Pac-a-Macs would progressively fill with water, and my curling cheese sandwiches in their greaseproof paper wrapping would silently - and so disappointingly - dissolve...
(granted, that was usually confined only to Easter Monday meetings - most Goodwood fixtures were, happily, run in the dry).

DCN

Agree with your melancholic description Doug but there were also those days when the sun beat down and something irreplaceable had broken in practice so we were all lying on the grass at St Marys with a party can of bitter with which to wash the said cheese sandwiches down. Nobody can steal my memories
 ;) not even of Oulton Park in 1958

#16 Peter Darley

Peter Darley

• 286 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:42

I believe Sir John is chatting to Moss - his entrant -

You confirm one of my guesses !

DCN

#17 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 13:17

Great photos Tony, thank you.

#18 Macca

Macca

• 3,726 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 13:42

Absolutely superb, as has been said, just like being there.

In the 'briefing' shot, Col. Hoare appears to be looking at Coombs and Salvadori (white paper in his hand)

Paul M

#19 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 14:48

Agree with your melancholic description Doug but there were also those days when the sun beat down and something irreplaceable had broken in practice so we were all lying on the grass at St Marys with a party can of bitter with which to wash the said cheese sandwiches down. Nobody can steal my memories
;) not even of Oulton Park in 1958

I too have mostly rose tinted memories of Goodwood meetings, though cycling down from North London on Easter Mondays could be a tad grim. I also remember the sodden sandwiches, although mine didnt enjoy the luxury of grease proof paper. The previous days Daily Herald was my old mums usual choice of wrapping!. Having said that, the sandwiches were often finished before tackling Duncton Hill!.

Advertisement

#20 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,802 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 15:12

Thanks for all the kind comments, though any praise should be directed to the late photographer, not the 'umble scanner and poster.

I too have memories of Goodwood and its less summery gatherings, with a hint of sleet in the air. There was however the overnight accom to look forward to, at an inn called the Forresters Arms somewhere near Midhrust, with a proper inglenook fireplace that you could sit inside for thawing purposes (can anyone suggest its location?). For me, one of the thrills of the Revival is being able to stand pretty much on the spot where I was keeping my Dad company when he took that pic of the altercation with the chicane and see much the same view we enjoyed (gulp!) 40 years ago next year. I don't think the on-site catering arrangements for the International Press ran to soggy sarnies , though - memory suggests a thermos of thick soup and mugs in the cramped confines of an MG 1100, with the prospect of a steak and chips supper that evening at the Forresters - but the specs may have become rose-tinted in the interim.

#21 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 15:58

Back to the general briefing shot. Back left in sunglasses and back the door is the RAC's Basil Tye. Guy on the right rear with sunglasses is Dickie Stoop.

#22 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 16:21

Nothing at all wrong with the quality of these marvellous photos, Tony. 'Atmospheric' is an understatement. Thanks for posting them. I can't wait for the next instalment..

Looks more like one of Tommy Atkins' mechanics, wearing blue overalls, to me.

Lovely images and it certainly looks very like Wyer's nose (and hair) allowing for the angle but I cannot recall ever seeing him in overalls, but it's difficult to tell because the image is grainy and perhaps those are not overalls. Tommy's daughter Ursula, if I recall corrrectly, sometimes posts on here so she might be able to confirm the identity of said person.

I really like the picture of Innes in the 214 and note the narrow rear rims they were forced to use by the scrutineer, which slowed both Astons down (although the usually picky Le Mans scrutes had allowed a wider rear rim), reliability aside I'm sure Ireland would have won the TT without this official diktat.

Note the width of the rear tyre of Hill's winning GTO in the penultimate pic, and note too that he posted a 1m 27.0 second lap for pole. Years ago David Piper told me that he thought that Dunlop made some 700 section 15 inch tyres which might explain this extremely rapid time bearing in mind the mere 3 litre motor and 2 tenths quicker than Gurney's qualifying effort in the Daytona Cobra one year later.

Having first attended Goodwood over 50 years ago and subsequently many times thereafter I can confirm Doug's memories of the place in period, it really was rather shabby and inevitably at its worst during the Easter meeting when the weather could be very unkind, freezing sleet in 1965 for instance. However the TT was usually run in glorious weather and then the place was like a timeless evocation of remembered summer days enhanced by the beautiful backdrop and wonderful atmosphere.

#23 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 16:43

Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos.

#24 Hse289

Hse289

• 665 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 17:20

Odseybod,

excellent pictures, thanks for posting. Being a Cobra fan i must ask are there anymore to post of them.
Paul

#25 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,802 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 18:55

Odseybod,

excellent pictures, thanks for posting. Being a Cobra fan i must ask are there anymore to post of them.
Paul

Sorry, that's yer lot (as they say) - at least until I unearth something from the next giant box of prints and negs.

#26 MCS

MCS

• 4,697 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 19:23

Sorry, that's yer lot (as they say) - at least until I unearth something from the next giant box of prints and negs.

Great pictures, Tony! Just going back to your original comment though: ...recently unearthed a splash of colour in a sea of black and white... could I just say that I am not exactly unenthusiastic to black and white (and doubt that I am alone!) :wave:

#27 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,802 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 19:48

Great pictures, Tony! Just going back to your original comment though: ...recently unearthed a splash of colour in a sea of black and white... could I just say that I am not exactly unenthusiastic to black and white (and doubt that I am alone!) :wave:

Me too re monochrome! But with so much of that, it's difficult to know where to start, whereas the colour prints (actually on Agfa film, rather than the expected Kodak or Ilford) were so unusual for that era that they rather insisted on jumping the queue :)

#28 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 21:38

Note the width of the rear tyre of Hill's winning GTO in the penultimate pic, and note too that he posted a 1m 27.0 second lap for pole. Years ago David Piper told me that he thought that Dunlop made some 700 section 15 inch tyres which might explain this extremely rapid time bearing in mind the mere 3 litre motor and 2 tenths quicker than Gurney's qualifying effort in the Daytona Cobra one year later.

As I understand it, Paul, that was the case, and also the problem for GTO racers in recent years, obliged to run on 6.50 sectrion, esp at the Revival where direct comparisons are possible, all other things being equal. I think it was 3 years ago that a new mould in 700 section x 16" IIRC was made and so they were able to run on period size rubber, and post more period style times, and the cars remain as they raced in period. I recall clearly kneeling at the rear of Nick Mason's car checking that they were the new 700 size.
Roger Lund

Edit; BTW wonderful shots Tony, Many thanks.

Edited by bradbury west, 23 December 2012 - 21:40.

#29 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 21:55

Is the man in dark glasses immediately behind John Coombs, ie to top of picture, Peter Procter?

Nobody can steal my memories , ;) not even of Oulton Park in 1958

Might that have been an "origins of Knicker Brook corner name" moment, quod vide Blaster Bates, John, unless I am being indelicate?
best regards
Roger

#30 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 22:11

Is the man in dark glasses immediately behind John Coombs, ie to top of picture, Peter Procter?

Might that have been an "origins of Knicker Brook corner name" moment, quod vide Blaster Bates, John, unless I am being indelicate?
best regards
Roger

That is more likely to have been Goodwood. Hot summers day parked next to Cristabel whose current boyfriend had bent his twin cam and she asked us for help as we had 1MTW. She lent me her works MGA to try to get some suspension bits. Don't know which impressed me more, her or the car :stoned:

#31 RCH

RCH

• 1,140 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:25

Back to the driver's briefing, is that Dick Protheroe, centre of shot in suit and tie?

#32 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:10

Back to the driver's briefing, is that Dick Protheroe, centre of shot in suit and tie?

Rod, I wondered that too.
Roger Lund

#33 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:13

As I understand it, Paul, that was the case, and also the problem for GTO racers in recent years, obliged to run on 6.50 sectrion, esp at the Revival where direct comparisons are possible, all other things being equal. I think it was 3 years ago that a new mould in 700 section x 16" IIRC was made and so they were able to run on period size rubber, and post more period style times, and the cars remain as they raced in period. I recall clearly kneeling at the rear of Nick Mason's car checking that they were the new 700 size.
Roger Lund

Edit; BTW wonderful shots Tony, Many thanks.

I am prepared to be shot down but I thought that the GTOs like the Astons, E types etc., all used 15 inch diameter wheels in period.

Anyway Seasons Greetings to one and all.

Paul

#34 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:36

I am prepared to be shot down but I thought that the GTOs like the Astons, E types etc., all used 15 inch diameter wheels in period.

Anyway Seasons Greetings to one and all.

Paul

So they did. My error. However a quick google check came up with this which intrigued me
http://www.ferrarida.....2010 1962.htm
where they are cited as using 6.50 and 7.50 x 16 in 1963, which are even bigger sizes.
RL

#35 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 13:42

So they did. My error. However a quick google check came up with this which intrigued me
http://www.ferrarida.....2010 1962.htm
where they are cited as using 6.50 and 7.50 x 16 in 1963, which are even bigger sizes.
RL

I saw the GTOs racing on many occasions during the early to mid 60s and of course during and after 1964 the tyres became ever wider but I was never consciously aware of any larger diameter wheels, 16 inchers being noticeably taller than 15 inch rims.

Additionally I have never read anything about 16 inch wheels on GTOs in the myriad books and publications that I have owned/perused. Nevertheless that proves nothing as in period such detail was not always reported or I might have missed it and the average punter was not as informed as they are today.

Perhaps 16 inch rims were used/considered for the high speed circuits to increase the rolling radius but we need a Ferrari authority on this period, GTO owner or DCN to put this to bed.

#36 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 14:05

Paul, I am not looking to justify my original 16" error, which was an error. The google exercise was simply to look for any other info. The larger size might have helped my hero Michael Parkes to pull a reputed 190mph, if my memory of reports from years ago is OK, from the brow down to Thillois at Reims in the 4 litre GTO.
Roger Lund

#37 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 13:46

Paul, I am not looking to justify my original 16" error, which was an error. The google exercise was simply to look for any other info. The larger size might have helped my hero Michael Parkes to pull a reputed 190mph, if my memory of reports from years ago is OK, from the brow down to Thillois at Reims in the 4 litre GTO.
Roger Lund

Never thought you were.

I looked at the website and I do wonder whether the 16 inch reference was a typo or whether they had reason to believe this.