• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,839 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 20:55

He is the uncle of Juan-Pablo Montoya.
Did Diego also some formula races?
He drove for Sauber in Le Mans. I heard there were some bad rumours about that driver team. Which rumours were that?

Advertisement

#2 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,488 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 22:45

Maybe something like this - not about Diego, but about his team: http://www.imsahisto...s10/Fomfor.html

"The Fomfor BMW M1 car originally belonged to the Scuderia Red Lobster, which had several M1. He ran with most Central American legends, but I think the most risky and we put the "willies" to go always to the limit or even a little beyond was Fomfor. He had a bipolar personality, when he was friendly and polite was a very nice person, but when he could also be very aggressive and arrogant. The Crew Chief of the team was Diego Montoya, uncle of Juan Pablo."

#3 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:28

Couldn't find any formula races for him. Apparently, he did some Can Am in 1985 and 1986. Here is a link:

http://www.racingspo...Montoya-CO.html

Vince H.

#4 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 14:51

Couldn't find any formula races for him. Apparently, he did some Can Am in 1985 and 1986.
Vince H.

Yes. I saw him finish third at the St Louis Can Am II round in 1985. His highest finish. Of course by then the Can Am was beyond a pale imitation of past glories and was a dying series that was mainly an embarrassment.
Tom

#5 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,839 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 10:42

Was Diego similar to Juan Pablo a really talented person with aggressiv driving style and good at overtakings? Any more infos about him?

#6 Frank Verplanken

Frank Verplanken

• 378 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 17:54

Diego Montoya did drive for Frank Williams... well sort of :D . In the early 1971 Bogota F2 races the local AC enrolled some of the young local drivers to work as chauffeurs for the various European drivers, team-managers and journalists, driving them daily from the hotel to the autodrome. Each driver had his designated local hot shot for the duration of the mini-series, Diego Montoya being the one driving Frank Williams around. By all accounts (well according to Jabby Crombac from whom I heard the story) Diego was in fact quite an aggresive driver to say the least and perhaps over-tried to impress Frank Williams which lead to the latter having quite a few scares during his daily trips with Montoya Sr. :D !