Mercedes-AMG 2013 W04

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4001 replies to this topic

#951 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 8,311 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 14:36

Posted Image
Notice Lewis' modified steering wheel controls.

Edited by Obi Offiah, 08 February 2013 - 14:38.

Advertisement

#952 Lamag

Lamag

• 986 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 14:50

Mercedes Exhaust during the race simulation
Posted Image

#953 nickponty

nickponty

• 158 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 15:34

Can anyone take the old ms paint to these pictures? I would like to get confirmation of what parts make up the pds system.

Like this I think....

Posted Image

#954 SR388

SR388

• 3,750 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 15:47

Like this I think....

Posted Image

Awesome. Thanks. What is the thing sitting in the middle of the wing? Also what is that black tube exiting out the back?

#955 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,284 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 15:51

Awesome. Thanks. What is the thing sitting in the middle of the wing? Also what is that black tube exiting out the back?

That's for the air from the rads to exit I think.

Edited by rhukkas, 08 February 2013 - 15:51.

#956 SR388

SR388

• 3,750 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 16:01

Cool, thank you.

#957 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 3,145 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 16:08

It's also the alternative pathway for the air from the role hope when the fluidic switch hasn't directed it towards the wing.

#958 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 16:19

Cool, thank you.

a little off topic here...but is your avatar the pic of the "unwelcome Sheriff" in blazing saddles???

#959 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 4,429 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 16:40

Turned into a good test. Lets hope they gathered lots of useful info that can be applied as they go forward. Really looking forward to the next test now, I hope they can bring a step that'll show incremental improvement. The W04 seems to be a solid base.

Advertisement

#960 SR388

SR388

• 3,750 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 16:43

a little off topic here...but is your avatar the pic of the "unwelcome Sheriff" in blazing saddles???

Posted Image

Yep

Great day of testing today!!!

Lets go AMG.

I think this car will be stronger as testing continues.

#961 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 16:44

Don't know if Kvothe will start a Mercedes Mood-o-Meter... but right now, I'd set it at "Cautiously Optimistic".

Obviously, expectations were and are still low, but I have to say, if they are able to find some points of downforce between now and Australia (hopefully improvements to turning vanes, bargeboard, coanda exhaust, diffuser/floor, etc.) and their tyre wear issues have been for the most part resolved (suspension?), they could be a dark horse; they have a potent pairing; they could very well spoil the "frontrunners" party in those initial fly-away races.

#962 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,409 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 16:47

Turned into a good test. Lets hope they gathered lots of useful info that can be applied as they go forward. Really looking forward to the next test now, I hope they can bring a step that'll show incremental improvement. The W04 seems to be a solid base.

Yep. It's clearly not a shitbox - and it also seems to be reliable..... Despite the initial teething troubles.

God it feels weird to be following the trials and tribulations of Tyrrell again.......

#963 SR388

SR388

• 3,750 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 16:47

Don't know if Kvothe will start a Mercedes Mood-o-Meter... but right now, I'd set it at "Cautiously Optimistic".

Obviously, expectations were and are still low, but I have to say, if they are able to find some points of downforce between now and Australia (hopefully improvements to turning vanes, bargeboard, coanda exhaust, diffuser/floor, etc.) and their tyre wear issues have been for the most part resolved (suspension?), they could be a dark horse; they have a potent pairing; they could very well spoil the "frontrunners" party in those initial fly-away races.

I agree. We will see a lot of changes between now and Melbourne. Notice how in just a week, this think has a new front wing, and rear body panel!!

Lot more changes coming buddy.

:kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

#964 cooper

cooper

• 388 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 16:48

Another cool pic of @LewisHamilton in the #F1W04 today

Posted Image

#965 SR388

SR388

• 3,750 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 16:50

Yep. It's clearly not a shitbox - and it also seems to be reliable..... Despite the initial teething troubles.

God it feels weird to be following the trials and tribulations of Tyrrell again.......

You mean BARf1.

Posted Image
More wink here

#966 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 4,429 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 16:51

I know..... :rotfl:

#967 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 16:57

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/105497

Lewis Hamilton says Mercedes is exactly where he had hoped it would be right now, after getting his first proper experience of the new W04.
After his first day of action at Jerez on Tuesday was cut short by a crash caused by brake failure, Hamilton was finally able to put together a proper evaluation programme on Thursday.

And although Hamilton did not shy away from the fact that his team will need to improve the car's speed if it is to challenge at the front, he said that its performance was realistically the best he could hope for.

"I think we are at the level where we would have hoped to have been," he said, when asked by AUTOSPORT for his verdict on where the team was at right now. "I couldn't really have asked for more.

"The guys have done a great job to add downforce to the car, understand where they have been and take the car in the direction they want to go. Now they need direction.

"They need me and Nico to tell them where we can improve the car and which direction we need to go - is it front end that we need to improve?

#968 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,633 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 17:02

So it has. Impressive, really. Last year, at this time, they were running around with the W02. This year, the lose 2 full days with teething problems with the new car, than rack up 290 laps in two days, and are able to correct and redesign the problems that cost them two days. Furthermore, they introduce developments that seem to work from day 3 to day 4. It is not only the drivers, but I have to say the track team has been functioning at a pretty high level to achieve all that in the given time-frame, if you think of it. Pit stops, setup changes, part changes for evaluation, etc,etc. It is a HUGE development compared to last season.

#969 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,410 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 17:05

Lewis Hamilton right to criticise Mercedes car, says team's Ross Brawn

http://www.guardian....edes-ross-brawn

#970 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 4,124 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 17:07

looks like Lewis ran old and new FW today.

#971 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 17:37

Degradation looks definitely worse than the top cars. I think as of right now they are at about the level they were at in early 2010 - easy Q3, but don't have the race pace of Lotus, Red Bull and McLaren.

#972 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,633 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 17:45

Degradation looks definitely worse than the top cars. I think as of right now they are at about the level they were at in early 2010 - easy Q3, but don't have the race pace of Lotus, Red Bull and McLaren.

No, It does not.

#973 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 17:55

http://www.formule1....60332907.28.jpg

Hi-res of the rear of the car, looks like the dipping floor could be feeding the centre of the diffuser? Interesting shapes down there.

Looks like a different solution to everyone else.

#974 SmokeScreen

SmokeScreen

• 185 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 17:56

and let the media games begin!!! - the articles i saw confirmed that the car lacked downforce in comparison to his previous one – according to Paul Weaver however he is criticising the car!

going by his recent comments on/about Lewis Paul Weaver appears to be repositioning himself as a Lewis troll. since the end of the year he has taken a swipe every time he writes about him

this is the kind if headline that always got the requisite defensive “how dare you malign our brand” response from McLaren PR & Management, which i always felt only exacerbated the stirred up drama. Brawn’s response is very different – hopefully he can continue to diffuse this brand of media mischief until they get tired of shit-stirring

Ted's notebook day 2 - mentioned Lewis slotted into Schumacher's team so his race engineers are Jock Clear and Pete :up:

#975 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,246 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 18:03

Ron trained him well:

Brawn added that he was delighted with Hamilton's direct approach. "He is very straightforward. In many ways he is very simple and straightforward. He tells us what he thinks and he is never short of detail in telling you what he thinks and, of course, you learn what level of detail you need to go to.

"He is interested in everything about the car. He is interested in the fact the stickers might not be put properly on the bodywork. He has got a very good eye for detail. I think he is going to be a very involved member of the team, which is what we wanted.

:D

#976 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,409 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 18:07

You mean BARf1.

Posted Image
More wink here

http://www.crash.net...a_one_team.html

;)

#977 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,633 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 18:08

http://www.formule1....60332907.28.jpg

Hi-res of the rear of the car, looks like the dipping floor could be feeding the centre of the diffuser? Interesting shapes down there.

Looks like a different solution to everyone else.

Ron trained him well:

:D

You are totally deluded mate. That is exactly what Ron trained him NOT to do. If you ask me, it is part of the reason why he was so pissed off when Lowe began looming at Merc, and a factor in leaving McLaren. That's Brawn and the MS legacy which he took over.

Edited by Szoelloe, 08 February 2013 - 18:10.

#978 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,246 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 18:14

You are totally deluded mate. That is exactly what Ron trained him NOT to do. If you ask me, it is part of the reason why he was so pissed off when Lowe began looming at Merc, and a factor in leaving McLaren. That's Brawn and the MS legacy which he took over.

Wow ... he acquired those skills since mid-December  ;) and unlearned everything he picked up in the last 15 or so years :cat:

#979 ForzaGTR

ForzaGTR

• 2,939 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 18:22

Dare I be optimistic... :smoking:

Advertisement

#980 SR388

SR388

• 3,750 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 18:23

Brawn added that he was delighted with Hamilton's direct approach. "He is very straightforward. In many ways he is very simple and straightforward. He tells us what he thinks and he is never short of detail in telling you what he thinks and, of course, you learn what level of detail you need to go to.

"He is interested in everything about the car. He is interested in the fact the stickers might not be put properly on the bodywork. He has got a very good eye for detail. I think he is going to be a very involved member of the team, which is what we wanted.

Sounds a bit like the German fellow he is replacing. Details. Always DETAILS.

Lets go MERC!!!!!!!

#981 mlsnoopy

mlsnoopy

• 2,356 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 18:32

At these point it all sounds more like these.

#982 SunnyENTP

SunnyENTP

• 717 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 18:40

looks like Lewis ran old and new FW today.

I see no proof of this, but if there is then that would perhaps explain the better performance is tyre degredation during the late session.

#983 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,633 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 18:49

I see no proof of this, but if there is then that would perhaps explain the better performance is tyre degredation during the late session.

He should have run both FWs. It is logical to map the difference, and it is even more evident that if they do so, the will do it with both of their drivers. I don't know that to be a fact though.

#984 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 4,124 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 18:53

The picture at the top of the page tweeted by Merc shows him running the old FW (I think, I can't see 5 elements) as well as the old RW (by this I mean including PDRS), so there must have been a lot of chopping and changing, all in 145 laps as well. Impressive.

Edited by TomNokoe, 08 February 2013 - 18:54.

#985 dans79

dans79

• 279 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 19:02

The picture at the top of the page tweeted by Merc shows him running the old FW (I think, I can't see 5 elements) as well as the old RW (by this I mean including PDRS), so there must have been a lot of chopping and changing, all in 145 laps as well. Impressive.

you mean this one right? If so i agree this is the old wing.

Posted Image

#986 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 19:09

I don't think the slow stints are anything to worry about just yet. It's very possible that they're running the tires beyond their limits on purpose to see how they behave.

#987 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,633 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 19:22

I don't think the slow stints are anything to worry about just yet. It's very possible that they're running the tires beyond their limits on purpose to see how they behave.

Well, it is Jerez. NO stints are anything to worry about. It is totally uninformative, from our(fan) point of view, IMHO. The track is abrasive to (Pirelli)tyres to the point that Hembrey admitted to it. Barcelona should be a pretty good indication, since it is a race venue, and considered to be one of the most abrasive tracks on the calendar.

#988 teejay

teejay

• 3,592 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 19:26

Given the comments and times, I dare say we are in the ballpark.

Just how close we are the front row seats remains to be seen.

Lets hope they keep working hard.

#989 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 19:32

I understand what Hembery said, but I don't think it means we can't compare tire wear from car to car. As an absolute quantity, yes, tire wear won't be as bad as it was there across the board, but I don't see why we can't make comparisons between cars.

#990 ayanate

ayanate

• 135 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 20:46

you mean this one right? If so i agree this is the old wing.

Posted Image

I'm already in love with this car, fast or not.

#991 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 21:21

Someone can post DRD in Mercedes cause I wanna compare with Lotus one that they were testing
Would prefer view from rear

http://www.formule1....360347948.1.jpg

how to post picture but correct the size?

Edited by Shiroo, 08 February 2013 - 21:22.

#992 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 22:19

I'd like to see Merc use more flowviz.

#993 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,859 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 23:11

http://www.planetf1....lton-s-Approach

"He is part of the solution to get us where we want to be. He knows that and he understands that and I think he is relishing that.

"It is correct that he gives his reference points and helps us understand what we have to focus on. Some of it we knew already and that is why restructured the aero group. I welcome that approach.

"It needs to positive and constructive but criticism of the right sort is helpful to a team, it drives you forward."

"He is very straightforward. In many ways he is very simple and straightforward. He tells us what he thinks and he is never short of detail in telling you what he thinks and, of course, you learn what level of detail you need to go to.

"He is clearly a very talented driver but Formula One is about so much more. There are a lot of highly talented drivers who don't have the rest of it, but I think he has got the rest of it as well."

Excellent to hear that the W04 is being developed with some very scientific feedback from a driver experienced in developing a top car. It's these small inputs that can make the difference between pole and starting on the dirty side. Now I am buzzing with excitement about the new season :up:

#994 SR388

SR388

• 3,750 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 23:23

I'd like to see Merc use more flowviz.

Whats the downtime like while using Flowviz? I imagine you just have to snap a lot of photos, and then clean it up?

Perhaps they were trying to maximize laps and minimize downtime.

#995 LarsB

LarsB

• 61 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 23:31

http://www.planetf1....lton-s-Approach

Excellent to hear that the W04 is being developed with some very scientific feedback from a driver experienced in developing a top car. It's these small inputs that can make the difference between pole and starting on the dirty side. Now I am buzzing with excitement about the new season :up:

And Schumacher was a noob?
Don't get me wrong, I do think Hamilton cán develop a car, but I'm not so sure if that's enough...

#996 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 23:35

Whats the downtime like while using Flowviz? I imagine you just have to snap a lot of photos, and then clean it up?

Perhaps they were trying to maximize laps and minimize downtime.

I doubt cleaning it is THAT time consuming. I don't recall them ever using it, maybe it's not something they believe in.

#997 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,410 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 23:52

Ted thinks Mercedes might be learning Lewis is hard on the car?! (3-4 minutes before the end)

http://www1.skysport...o/12870/8482681

#998 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 00:13

Ted thinks Mercedes might be learning Lewis is hard on the car?! (3-4 minutes before the end)

If the car is not falling apart at the finish line, you're not pushing enough. :D

#999 inca_roads

inca_roads

• 1,424 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 00:22

This is the same guy (Kravitz) that said his favourite moment of the 2011 season was Button putting Hamilton in to the pitwall in Canada. Seriously.

I just listened to that link, and wasn't surprised to hear he was apparently "hard on the car" compared to one driver specificly. None of this stuff was talked of in Hamilton's early seasons, even when paired with Alonso (their reliability was comparable in 2007).

Advertisement

#1000 cornermarker

cornermarker

• 54 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:35

I wonder if it's just McLaren looking for a reason to have lost Lewis a very good shot at last year's title. At the end of the season it was Mclaren reliability problems that cost Hamilton all of those points. Now that he's no longer in the team, he's suddenly "hard on the car."