* * * - - 24 votes

Mercedes-AMG 2013 W04

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4001 replies to this topic

#1251 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 22:42

Lewis Hamilton said that it has less DF, and i was stating the size and shape of the side pods.

That was before they actually put the new wing on the car and did any serious laps. The quote was from Wednesday.

Allows more air to the diffuser at the back, and produces more downforce. But you can't run high rake if you don't have enough downforce to allow it, which means, fundamentally, the W04 does produce good downforce, albeit not to the standard of the McLaren, don't know about the others.

Not true at all. The floor and diffuser work better the closer the car is to the ground, the reason why RBR were doing rake stuff was to get the front wing to work more efficiently as it would be closer to the ground.

Edited by BigCHrome, 13 February 2013 - 22:44.

Advertisement

#1252 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,386 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 22:46

Lewis Hamilton said that it has less DF, and i was stating the size and shape of the side pods.

You are trying to say that Mercedes' sidepod shape is less refined, but 'refined' is such a vague term. If you could be more specific in how exactly its such a bad design, I'm sure the team would be interested in knowing, so they can change it.

#1253 carlb5253

carlb5253

• 509 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 22:49

That photo is interesting, the merc looks prerty good compated to the Mclaren. Whatever goes on under the skin of the Mclaren is the difference.

Id say the Merc sidepods are more refined than the Mclaren

#1254 F1hooked

F1hooked

• 69 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 22:56

You are trying to say that Mercedes' sidepod shape is less refined, but 'refined' is such a vague term. If you could be more specific in how exactly its such a bad design, I'm sure the team would be interested in knowing, so they can change it.

Stop putting words in my mouth! Im talking about the sid-pod shapes and sizes, from what i can see in the image. and then you come along and say this " If you could be more specific in how exactly its such a bad design" thinking your so smart..

#1255 femi

femi

• 6,203 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 22:56

These pictures taken at the same angle give a bit of a rake comparison between Merc and Mclaren

Could it be due to difference in fuel load? Like the Mclaren is on very high fuel load?

#1256 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,386 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 23:11

Stop putting words in my mouth! Im talking about the sid-pod shapes and sizes, from what i can see in the image. and then you come along and say this " If you could be more specific in how exactly its such a bad design" thinking your so smart..

I didn't put any words into your mouth, I just asked if you could be more specific.

What I'm assuming you're doing is just making a very simplistic and unknowledgeable observation and then insulting the team as if they have done a bad job.

My point is that you are not in any position to say they've done a bad job or not. What you see as 'unrefined' could well be very well refined through CFD and windtunnel development and I'm sure it is. This isn't some no budget team with little resources.

If anything, I'm trying to put your fears to rest. I'm sorry if your ego had to get hurt in the process.

#1257 alframsey

alframsey

• 1,417 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 23:29

Jesus this is a mental thread! Truth is nobody here knows the relative performance of the cars at this stage but it is safe to say we can come to educated conclusions, one of those being that at this current time I (as many others) cannot see Merc challenging the top three teams. This is based on somewhat limited understanding of aerodynamics and more to do with previous seasons attempts. Actually maybe it is more of a hunch than an educated conclusion :p

#1258 Lokt

Lokt

• 460 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 23:33

Jesus this is a mental thread! Truth is nobody here knows the relative performance of the cars at this stage but it is safe to say we can come to educated conclusions, one of those being that at this current time I (as many others) cannot see Merc challenging the top three teams. This is based on somewhat limited understanding of aerodynamics and more to do with previous seasons attempts. Actually maybe it is more of a hunch than an educated conclusion :p

Bolded the bit I believe to be true as well as wishful thinking. I also believe to many people have CFD powers with their eyes. I sure know I don´t.

#1259 thanasaki

thanasaki

• 90 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 23:39

Also looking at that picture look how much bigger the merc sidepod is in that image. The 28 is a lot more refined. What the hell as merc been doing I thought they started work on this car early??

Lewis is sitting a lot lower than perez! I guess nose shape allows for that....
I think this reduces COG.

Advertisement

#1260 F1hooked

F1hooked

• 69 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 00:17

I didn't put any words into your mouth, I just asked if you could be more specific.

What I'm assuming you're doing is just making a very simplistic and unknowledgeable observation and then insulting the team as if they have done a bad job.

My point is that you are not in any position to say they've done a bad job or not. What you see as 'unrefined' could well be very well refined through CFD and windtunnel development and I'm sure it is. This isn't some no budget team with little resources.

If anything, I'm trying to put your fears to rest. I'm sorry if your ego had to get hurt in the process.

I never said the team did a bad design on the side-pods which you keep banging on about like I said that, check my post! I just said the side pods look bigger, and asked what the hell have mercades been doing, I also stated the team has Honda DNA which I think is not a good thing, I said the side pods look Less refined than the 28s this does not = bad design.

#1261 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,386 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:56

I never said the team did a bad design on the side-pods which you keep banging on about like I said that, check my post! I just said the side pods look bigger, and asked what the hell have mercades been doing, I also stated the team has Honda DNA which I think is not a good thing, I said the side pods look Less refined than the 28s this does not = bad design.

You didn't explicitly say that, but you said this:

Also looking at that picture look how much bigger the merc sidepod is in that image. The 28 is a lot more refined. What the hell as merc been doing I thought they started work on this car early??

There's really only one way to interpret that. You think Mercedes did a bad job with the sidepods(too big) and then criticized them(what were they doing?). Like I said man, dont worry too much about the sidepod shape, cuz there's way too much fever over 'sidepod shape' lately. Be assured they have a very good reason for the sidepod shape they came up with. They have lots of resources at their disposal and they would have put that to good use. Being a top dog in F1 is difficult. Its not for lack of trying that the team hasn't acheived all they want.

Just sayin, you went overboard on the criticism there, and unless you're an engineer that knows specifically that something is wrong with what Mercedes came up with, then you have no grounds to criticize. Being an armchair aerodynamicist thats judging them on a single picture alone seems very ridiculous to me.

#1262 akshay380

akshay380

• 550 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:57

There's really only one way to interpret that. You think Mercedes did a bad job with the sidepods(too big) and then criticized them(what were they doing?). Like I said man, dont worry too much about the sidepod shape, cuz there's way too much fever over 'sidepod shape' lately. Be assured they have a very good reason for the sidepod shape they came up with. They have lots of resources at their disposal and they would have put that to good use. Being a top dog in F1 is difficult. Its not for lack of trying that the team hasn't acheived all they want.

Just sayin, you went overboard on the criticism there, and unless you're an engineer that knows specifically that something is wrong with what Mercedes came up with, then you have no grounds to criticize. Being an armchair aerodynamicist thats judging them on a single picture alone seems very ridiculous to me.

:up: :up:

#1263 teejay

teejay

• 3,634 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:00

Round of applause to Sean.

Someone comes in with a stab, then tries to backpedal ever so hard when called out.

#1264 bobcat

bobcat

• 49 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:23

Like so much else, unless you know what's going on under the skin, it's impossible to guess the merits or otherwise of external side pod shape. Remember, air has to flow through the side pods too while creating minimal drag.

Who knows- Perhaps Mercedes have found a trade-off between internal drag vs. external size. Sauber have clearly taken it in a different direction...

Edited by bobcat, 14 February 2013 - 02:23.

#1265 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,625 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:57

Like so much else, unless you know what's going on under the skin, it's impossible to guess the merits or otherwise of external side pod shape. Remember, air has to flow through the side pods too while creating minimal drag.

Who knows- Perhaps Mercedes have found a trade-off between internal drag vs. external size. Sauber have clearly taken it in a different direction...

People tend to look at sidepod shape while a bigger indicator of aero efficiency might be the size of the cooling exits. Smaller exits point to better the thermal efficiency, less air sucked through the sidepod, less drag.

#1266 F1hooked

F1hooked

• 69 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:58

Well thank you for you personally few on what i thought looked like something with the sidepods in that picture, correct me if im wrong but Merc have not given me any indication that they are a good team from there track record.
This is what Mika Hakkinen has to say "I have a strong feeling McLaren is in top form this year. Like we saw in testing in Jerez, the Mercedes was not exactly up to the speed I expected them to be, so I don't see them competing too much this year." LINK

"Like I said man, dont worry too much about the sidepod shape, cuz there's way too much fever over 'sidepod shape' lately" Thats your personal view I tend to think otherwise and I think so do alot of other teams. Have you seen the Sauber and its sidepods? What about the McLaren MP4 26? It seems the teams do love to get in a FEVER over the sidepods.

And so what if im Judging the team, There is like 30+ pages of people talking/Judging what the car is going to be like. It does not mean im Bashing the team.

#1267 F1hooked

F1hooked

• 69 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:01

Round of applause to Sean.

Someone comes in with a stab, then tries to backpedal ever so hard when called out.

I didn't try and back pedal, if you cant take what i said about the w04 thats your problem, at-least i was talking about the car and keeping this thread on topic. unlike you post.

#1268 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,659 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:34

somebody should sell tickets. really.

#1269 argiriano

argiriano

• 890 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:44

"Like I said man, dont worry too much about the sidepod shape, cuz there's way too much fever over 'sidepod shape' lately" Thats your personal view I tend to think otherwise and I think so do alot of other teams. Have you seen the Sauber and its sidepods? What about the McLaren MP4 26? It seems the teams do love to get in a FEVER over the sidepods.

Of course there is much more than sidepods shape, but there should be something about that 'cause both Ferrari and Mercedes pointed to sidepods design as one of the main reasons to their problems in 2012. It is surprising to see that both teams have almost the same sidepods this year with just top surface reshaped. :drunk:

#1270 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:05

Of course there is much more than sidepods shape, but there should be something about that 'cause both Ferrari and Mercedes pointed to sidepods design as one of the main reasons to their problems in 2012. It is surprising to see that both teams have almost the same sidepods this year with just top surface reshaped. :drunk:

Mercedes' problems had nothing to do with the sidepods, and Ferrari only had problems with the original "acer duct" solution. There were no problems with their sidepods after they got the Coanda effect working.

#1271 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,625 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:14

Mercedes' problems had nothing to do with the sidepods, and Ferrari only had problems with the original "acer duct" solution. There were no problems with their sidepods after they got the Coanda effect working.

Actually it was reported that the shape of the sidepod was not optimized for the coanda as it was not designed with coanda in mind.
Now it's been designed with coanda from the onset so it should be fine.

#1272 teejay

teejay

• 3,634 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:08

I didn't try and back pedal, if you cant take what i said about the w04 thats your problem, at-least i was talking about the car and keeping this thread on topic. unlike you post.

I read what you had to say, laughed because I assumed you were joking or trolling. Then you got upset at being called out.

Sean, once again well done.

#1273 mlsnoopy

mlsnoopy

• 2,356 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:14

They hired toto and Lauda.and threatened Ross :) thats enough for 40 pages on the thread

anyways back on topic. Anyone make sense of what Rosberg is saying ? google translate doesn't really do justice

AMuS

- The car is much better than last year
- Ferrari had problems on the first 2 days
- McLaren and RedBull are on rails

#1274 F1hooked

F1hooked

• 69 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:24

I read what you had to say, laughed because I assumed you were joking or trolling. Then you got upset at being called out.

Sean, once again well done.

What do you mean I've been called out?? About what?
I made a comment which I stand bye and stuck up for, care to explain?

#1275 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:42

What do you mean I've been called out?? About what?
I made a comment which I stand bye and stuck up for, care to explain?

F1hooked: To be fair, your post did come across as taunting/bashing (whatever you might call it). This is the merc thread and you shouldn't be surprised that you might get some form of retort. Seanspeed is not even a merc fan and I think he was being objective and rightly so. The fact you are back peddaling suggests that you yourself have thought twice about what you originally posted. A simple "okay it was a bit over the top would have sufficed and we can all move on".

Although everyone is entitled to their opinions and rightly so, don't expect a welcome party when others respond to your posts which you can see below

And yet that McLaren will smash the merc this year no matter how much rake you put on that merc. Anyways you all have to remember this team was Honda a few years ago, they never looked like doing much and the DNA from the Honda days are still showing in merc now,

Imagine if someone had posted similar in the McLaren thread??

Sometimes we do get ahead of ourselves and taunt others (myself included) and really what this does is derail the thread

let's move on. before the mods delete everything for the last 5 pages and issue out bans.

#1276 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,799 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 14:03

Meh, packaging is just about the one thing we can tell by looking if it's good or just average. I'd be very surprised if there's no room from improvement there for Merc. Average packaging doesn't necessarily make the car slower though.

Edited by boldhakka, 14 February 2013 - 14:04.

#1277 skid solo

skid solo

• 2,118 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 14:26

F1hooked: To be fair, your post did come across as taunting/bashing (whatever you might call it).

Imagine if someone had posted similar in the McLaren thread??

Sometimes we do get ahead of ourselves and taunt others (myself included) and really what this does is derail the thread

let's move on. before the mods delete everything for the last 5 pages and issue out bans.

Before we do let's remind ourselves of McLarens DNA http://www.gpupdate....-in-spain-2001/

#1278 10e10

10e10

• 804 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 15:17

Before we do let's remind ourselves of McLarens DNA http://www.gpupdate....-in-spain-2001/

Do you want to compare with the DNA of this team with its various names? You could go as recent as last year. While McLaren had reliability problems last year but Mercedes still managed to beat them in that.

#1279 skid solo

skid solo

• 2,118 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 15:33

Do you want to compare with the DNA of this team with its various names? You could go as recent as last year. While McLaren had reliability problems last year but Mercedes still managed to beat them in that.

If you really must. I was casting a mischievous hook (F1Hooked) I didn't expect a bite :D
You are right of course... But now Lewis Hamilton has joined Mercedes all that will change!

Edited by skid solo, 14 February 2013 - 15:35.

Advertisement

#1280 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 15:53

Meh, packaging is just about the one thing we can tell by looking if it's good or just average. I'd be very surprised if there's no room from improvement there for Merc. Average packaging doesn't necessarily make the car slower though.

Am sure there are significant upgrades to come. Ross Brawn mention in an interview that this is not even close to what will be raced in Australia. so quite a bit more to come I would have thought

http://en.espnf1.com...ory/100499.html

Brawn also confirmed that the car would feature a major update at the final Barcelona test in order to bring it up to its Australian Grand Prix specification.

"At the next test we will have some parts, but the final test, as is common with most teams, will be the Melbourne package. We're busily finishing that off and starting to manufacturer. Most of the body work will be new for Melbourne and we'll test it at the final Barcelona test."

and here he responds with his personal opinion when posed with the same question Mika Hakkinen responded to.

http://www.f1-fansit...des-w04-f1-car/

So maybe its not all doom and gloom. I would gladly take a win or 2 right now for 2013

Edited by BernieEc, 14 February 2013 - 15:54.

#1281 skid solo

skid solo

• 2,118 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 16:12

here he responds with his personal opinion when posed with the same question Mika Hakkinen responded to.

http://www.f1-fansit...des-w04-f1-car/

So maybe its not all doom and gloom. I would gladly take a win or 2 right now for 2013

He's so level headed. It looks and sounds encouraging..

#1282 10e10

10e10

• 804 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 16:23

If you really must. I was casting a mischievous hook (F1Hooked) I didn't expect a bite :D
You are right of course... But now Lewis Hamilton has joined Mercedes all that will change!

I wasn't trying to be personal, just trying to state some "numbers".
I believe Lewis will make a difference in Mercedes this year, even if the car is not up there with the faster cars. As for reliability problems, Lewis is responsible for that. I hope he has better luck than Schumacher last year.

#1283 MirNyet

MirNyet

• 908 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 16:56

I wasn't trying to be personal, just trying to state some "numbers".
I believe Lewis will make a difference in Mercedes this year, even if the car is not up there with the faster cars. As for reliability problems, Lewis is responsible for that. I hope he has better luck than Schumacher last year.

Keep in mind that if the car is a dog, even a good driver cannot get anything out of it - look to the start of 2009 for that one.

#1284 MercPower

MercPower

• 98 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 18:18

Keep in mind that if the car is a dog, even a good driver cannot get anything out of it - look to the start of 2009 for that one.

He did quite well for a couple of races, Australia he should of had a podium but we won't go into that.

Infact, Lewis could win in Australia and the car could still be bad simply because the track doesn't really show if a car is or not.

I remember in 2009 with Kubica and BMW who were fighting for second and looking very fast and they turned out to be awful, shame with Mclaren Lewis got upto 3rd and the car was awful.

Was till Malaysia!!

Edited by MercPower, 14 February 2013 - 18:18.

#1285 Masenco

Masenco

• 819 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 21:22

“The numbers are promising" - Ross Brawn :up:

#1286 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,340 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 21:43

He did quite well for a couple of races, Australia he should of had a podium but we won't go into that.

Infact, Lewis could win in Australia and the car could still be bad simply because the track doesn't really show if a car is or not.

I remember in 2009 with Kubica and BMW who were fighting for second and looking very fast and they turned out to be awful, shame with Mclaren Lewis got upto 3rd and the car was awful.

Was till Malaysia!!

No one has ever won Australia in anything other than the best overall car bar maybe Button in 2010. If anything it serves as a very good indicator for championship winning performance.

#1287 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,625 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:45

First time I've seen an explanation of the difference between the Redbull-type Coanda and the McLaren type coanda which Mercedes has also adopted.

The two concepts have a massive effect on car handling. In fast corners the differences are minimal. But when the load changes the handling characteristics change depending on exhaust concept.
Ross Brawn said:
"Red Bull's is a better solution for acceleration, because the exhaust gases reach their destination faster and more accurately. When the driver is on throttle, he will feel the effect better..."

"The McLaren system has advantages when decelerating [under braking]. The intensity of the exhaust jet is reduced and the influence on downforce thus also reduced. Therefore McLaren system's coke-bottle shape and natural flow to the diffuser is more important and better for braking stability . This function is less pronounced in the Red Bull [under braking] which is why their solution offers less braking stability".

Translated from AMuS.

(As an aside, the article says that the above difference explains why Vettel gained on Webber mid-season 2012, because Webber is already good on traction but has difficuly with a nervous car under braking while it's the opposite for Vettel. But that's for another thread)

Edited by Timstr11, 15 February 2013 - 11:51.

#1288 done

done

• 23 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:59

Posted Image
did lewis really buy a a private jet ? :eek: :eek: , new move must be paying beautifully for him :D

#1289 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:03

how it is connected with Mercedes?

#1290 done

done

• 23 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:08

wouldn't think mclaren pay him enough to buy a private jet

#1291 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 4,849 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:25

First time I've seen an explanation of the difference between the Redbull-type Coanda and the McLaren type coanda which Mercedes has also adopted.

Translated from AMuS.

(As an aside, the article says that the above difference explains why Vettel gained on Webber mid-season 2012, because Webber is already good on traction but has difficuly with a nervous car under braking while it's the opposite for Vettel. But that's for another thread)

:up: A great explanation, thanks.

Jeez, he was really slumming it eh? No wonder he moved! ;)

#1292 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,239 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:35

DC was paid enough so I'm sure LH was as well.

#1293 bauss

bauss

• 4,974 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:38

Posted Image
did lewis really buy a a private jet ? :eek: :eek: , new move must be paying beautifully for him :D

its quite pretty...... 28 with a private jet, wow.

might make business sense for him too compared to always chartering private flights when he travels....plus the Jet might have decent resale value if he wants to sell.

oh and according to daily mail, it is available for charter too...

Someone is living that good life

Edited by bauss, 15 February 2013 - 12:43.

#1294 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,274 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:54

how it is connected with Mercedes?

#1295 Guizotia

Guizotia

• 1,295 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:58

might make business sense for him too compared to always chartering private flights when he travels....plus the Jet might have decent resale value if he wants to sell.

Wrong thread.

#1296 SmokeScreen

SmokeScreen

• 185 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 14:37

Translated from AMuS.

nice find :up:

still interesting to speculate on driving styles and which solution would suit which Mercedes driver better.

#1297 flaviob

flaviob

• 18 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 14:42

Wrong thread.

What's the right thread?

#1298 robefc

robefc

• 8,018 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 15:03

I'm pretty sure someone, I think Lewis, tweeted that it wasn't his jet but I could be wrong

#1299 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 16:30

What's the right thread?

There isn't one, maybe paddock club or create a thread "Lewis got a plane"

Advertisement

#1300 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 16:32

I'm pretty sure someone, I think Lewis, tweeted that it wasn't his jet but I could be wrong

The plate gives it away, LCDH (Lewis Carl Davidson Hamilton)