* * * - - 24 votes

Mercedes-AMG 2013 W04

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4001 replies to this topic

#1301 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 16:34

Hopefully he allows it to be used as cargo if Merc have some urgent parts that need transport for a race weekend.

Advertisement

#1302 Nobody

Nobody

• 1,401 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 16:35

Keep in mind that if the car is a dog, even a good driver cannot get anything out of it - look to the start of 2009 for that one.

Some McLaren fans (me included) reckon 2009 was his finest season (so far) as a racer.

I dunno if Merc deserve the success the partnership can bring, but I think Lewis does.

#1303 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,551 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 16:37

A little nugget in an AMuS article about the W04

Perhaps the sidepods will be reduced in size later. Mercedes is working with an American company that has developed a new cooling concept. At the moment there is a reliability risk. But if a breakthrough is achieved, the radiator can be reduced in size for the same heat output by 30 percent.

#1304 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 16:42

Hopefully it doesn't end up being another excuse, if it comes off could be very good.

#1305 done

done

• 23 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 17:02

The plate gives it away, LCDH (Lewis Carl Davidson Hamilton)

what is the g for ?

#1306 done

done

• 23 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 17:03

is mercedes the most popular team in Formula 1 at the moment ? i think so

#1307 Masenco

Masenco

• 819 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 17:03

So mercedes think they are on target to gain 3 seconds over the w03.
I think that should do well to put us in the ball park

#1308 Masenco

Masenco

• 819 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 17:05

My favourite line from there translated by google:
"Against Red Bull can not win with a housewife solution" :lol:

#1309 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 17:08

what is the g for ?

UK registration.

#1310 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 17:29

is mercedes the most popular team in Formula 1 at the moment ? i think so

Actually I think Ferrari still hold that title.

#1311 teejay

teejay

• 3,594 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 17:36

Some McLaren fans (me included) reckon 2009 was his finest season (so far) as a racer.

I dunno if Merc deserve the success the partnership can bring, but I think Lewis does.

I think 2012 was. Actually, even with his melt down in 2011, I dont think hes actually ever had a bad driving year.

#1312 inca_roads

inca_roads

• 1,425 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 18:31

I think 2012 was.

I agree. 2012 was an awesome performance. Qualifying, races, wheel-to-wheel, no real big mistakes all season. Canada, in particular, was a stunning drive.

#1313 Zoetrope

Zoetrope

• 986 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 18:45

Actually I think Ferrari still hold that title.

Worldwide you are right, but on these forums McLaren and Mercedes seem to have more followers now

#1314 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,690 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 18:48

Worldwide you are right, but on these forums McLaren and Mercedes seem to have more followers now

Based on what? You can't judge by thread length, half of the posts here are by people ridiculing the team. McLaren sure has the most followers here, but Merc more than Ferrari? I doubt it

Edited by KnucklesAgain, 15 February 2013 - 18:49.

#1315 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 18:49

Ferrari threads used to be longer than McLaren threads until about 2009, but raikkonen fans drove a lot of hardcore Ferrari fans away.

#1316 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 19:19

Ferrari threads used to be longer than McLaren threads until about 2009, but raikkonen fans drove a lot of hardcore Ferrari fans away.

I guess the same has happened to McLaren with hamilton supporters.....

#1317 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 20:07

I guess the same has happened to McLaren with hamilton supporters.....

Also the fact that McLaren is a boring team with a boring lineup (for once - they've always used to have at the very least one marquee driver who made it interesting (Mika, Kimi, Montoya, LH, Alonso).

#1318 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 20:51

Also the fact that McLaren is a boring team with a boring lineup (for once - they've always used to have at the very least one marquee driver who made it interesting (Mika, Kimi, Montoya, LH, Alonso).

Perez ??? :)

Edited by BernieEc, 15 February 2013 - 20:51.

#1319 done

done

• 23 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 21:09

i dont find mclaren a boring team at all , a team that fights for championships and wins and every year produce a fast car with some innovations

Advertisement

#1320 Masenco

Masenco

• 819 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 21:28

i dont find mclaren a boring team at all , a team that fights for championships and wins and every year produce a fast car with some innovations

I agree, i dont find them boring either. But i do think that for 2013 they are one of the less exciting teams to keep an eye on as they dont have a top the three driver- it takes some of the excitement away

#1321 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 21:58

Fighting for championship is irrelevant. McLaren just doesn't have the warmth and "fun" of RBR, Ferrari and/or Lotus. It's more as a business than as a team.

Edited by slmk, 15 February 2013 - 22:01.

#1322 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 22:01

Fighting for championship is irrelevant. McLaren just doesn't have the warmth and "fun" of RBR, Ferrari and/or Lotus.

RBR ...Warmth???? you sure about that

I guess it depends on who you ask. let's say you ask Webber, I doubt warmth is what he will describe it as

Edited by BernieEc, 15 February 2013 - 22:02.

#1323 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,211 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 22:01

They still have.

#1324 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,211 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 22:04

Fighting for championship is irrelevant. McLaren just doesn't have the warmth and "fun" of RBR, Ferrari and/or Lotus. It's more as a business than as a team.

The championship is irrelevant :confused: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Maybe because it's run as a damn good business its one of a very small number of teams not struggling to keep going.

#1325 bauss

bauss

• 4,957 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 22:19

I know what you are trying to say, its a certain "va va voom" or excitement certain sport teams have...McLaren are a team that almost try their possible best to not have that, and control everything....but their drivers in recent years, especially LH has ensured that this is not the case....
with their current line up, I agree its like the most boring but fairly solid driver combination you could pick on the current grid.
Also, I don't think the sudden surge of interest in Merc. is limited to this forum....
I'd bet camera time, commentator mentions and all sorts of metrics of the Mercs during GP weekends will increase across the board and the opposite will be the case for Mac this year.

Edited by bauss, 15 February 2013 - 22:20.

#1326 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,251 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 22:21

I know what you are trying to say, its a certain "va va voom" or excitement certain sport teams have...McLaren are a team that almost try their possible best to not have that, and control everything....but their drivers in recent years, especially LH has ensured that this is not the case....
with their current line up, I agree its like the most boring but fairly solid driver combination you could pick on the current grid.
Also, I don't think the sudden surge of interest in Merc. is limited to this forum....
I'd bet camera time, commentator mentions and all sorts of metrics of the Mercs during GP weekends will increase across the board and the opposite will be the case for Mac this year.

Just look at the lead story on Autosport's website .... there have been more Merc/LH related stories than about any other team - and by a good distance.

#1327 Wingnut

Wingnut

• 709 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 22:38

Mercedes were always going to have an upswing in popularity because of Lewis, like him or loath him he makes headlines.

#1328 F1hooked

F1hooked

• 69 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 22:53

"Perhaps the sidepods will be reduced in size later. Mercedes is working with an American company that has developed a new cooling concept. At the moment there is a reliability risk. But if a breakthrough is achieved, the radiator can be reduced in size for the same heat output by 30 percent."

That's very interesting, some in this forum think side pods have to much attention on them :rotfl: mercades are in a fever lol.

Edited by F1hooked, 15 February 2013 - 22:57.

#1329 chumma

chumma

• 942 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 23:19

Ferrari? What is fun about Ferrari? and Red Bull? McLaren make a bloody kids cartoon for goodness sake. I think its clear you have a strong dislike for McLaren but you don't need to deliberately make yourself a fool with such comments. It is a business for all the teams, and I thought Ferrari and RBR took the fun out of it when they decided to handicap their second drivers so they couldn't challenge the 'number 1s'

#1330 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 23:20

"Perhaps the sidepods will be reduced in size later. Mercedes is working with an American company that has developed a new cooling concept. At the moment there is a reliability risk. But if a breakthrough is achieved, the radiator can be reduced in size for the same heat output by 30 percent."

That's very interesting, some in this forum think side pods have to much attention on them :rotfl: mercades are in a fever lol.

I've seen you post in the Mclaren thread, want to grow up and stick to your team.

#1331 chumma

chumma

• 942 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 23:26

With Ron at the helm maybe, but definitely not the case. McLaren is a very professional and corporate team, they are well presented and offer great exposure to their sponsors. I see excitement in what they do, maybe you should add some of their personnel on Twitter just to see how passionate some are, people forget Ron was at the head of the table for a long time and during the cold war in F1, its no wonder he was somewhat cold and gave nothing away, Ferrari were the same with Todt and now RBR are the ones putting up the barriers everywhere they go. Then again maybe im not bitter than Lewis didn't win the title last year like a heap of people, sure I was disappointed, but you win and lose as a team.

Off topic so apologies but it had to be said.

#1332 F1hooked

F1hooked

• 69 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 23:48

I've seen you post in the Mclaren thread, want to grow up and stick to your team.

I'm just bring it to your attention, no need to get touchy.

#1333 Guizotia

Guizotia

• 1,291 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:12

It's getting annoying that I come here to read about the car and there's a lot of barely related nonsense. There are threads for Lewis and for McLaren. :rolleyes:

#1334 F1Champion

F1Champion

• 2,922 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:28

About time really. Its not really acceptable to have a cooling package bigger than McLaren's when they use the same engine and are bettered by other smaller teams on the grid. Plus they have retained cooling gills which is bad for aero and few in the paddock still use them.

#1335 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,147 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:35

Back on topic, this thread is about the development of the Mercedes W04. Thanks

#1336 as65p

as65p

• 17,137 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:30

Mercedes were always going to have an upswing in popularity because of Lewis, like him or loath him he makes headlines.

Exactly as the man he replaces.

#1337 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:36

Back on topic, this thread is about the [u]development of the Mercedes W04[/b]. Thanks

Nice example. What they install at the rear usually doesn't work with the front and vice versa.

#1338 done

done

• 23 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 13:48

Nice example. What they install at the rear usually doesn't work with the front and vice versa.

good one :up:

#1339 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 21:43

Brawn: we will test and compare different versions of the current solution and compare them to the one we used last year, using it as a reference. We've also looked into the red-bull version, though at the moment only as a CFD-simulation.

Advertisement

#1340 10e10

10e10

• 802 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 22:58

Brawn: we will test and compare different versions of the current solution and compare them to the one we used last year, using it as a reference. We've also looked into the red-bull version, though at the moment only as a CFD-simulation.

It could be a bad sign, that they don't know which direction to take.

#1341 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 23:08

Yeah but testing is to find the best solution, could be the difference between points, podiums and wins.

#1342 10e10

10e10

• 802 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 23:10

Yeah but testing is to find the best solution, could be the difference between points, podiums and wins.

That's true, a recent example was McLaren in 2011's testing and back to Australia they were on the first row.

#1343 SirT

SirT

• 188 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 00:32

I met Ross today in Cornwall. He has a house down here. I asked him how this week had gone with all the data from Jerez. He looked quite smug and said 'very promising'

I also asked him about Lewis and the way the media try to knock him down at any opportunity. His reply was interesting. He intimated that he thought McLaren left Lewis out to dry at times

#1344 Masenco

Masenco

• 819 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 00:40

I met Ross today in Cornwall. He has a house down here. I asked him how this week had gone with all the data from Jerez. He looked quite smug and said 'very promising'

I also asked him about Lewis and the way the media try to knock him down at any opportunity. His reply was interesting. He intimated that he thought McLaren left Lewis out to dry at times

Awesome! From the way he was talking to you, how much faith would you put into the validity of the statement?
In other words, did he look like he was giving you a genuine reply?

#1345 SirT

SirT

• 188 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 00:43

It was 5 minute chat outside the bakery. I'm sure he says 'promosing' to most fans he meets! But he looked quite happy so let's see. He had a some expensive wine and champagne in a bag so who knows! :)

#1346 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,225 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 00:53

You're going to keep running with that aren't you?

And you clearly missed the whole point of that 'discussion'(pfft) we had.

It is interesting if true, though.

Edited by Seanspeed, 17 February 2013 - 00:59.

#1347 Guizotia

Guizotia

• 1,291 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:14

Isn't that his normal face?

#1348 ImAnEngineer

ImAnEngineer

• 20 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:10

Awesome! From the way he was talking to you, how much faith would you put into the validity of the statement?
In other words, did he look like he was giving you a genuine reply?

From what I've seen, everything Ross says is honest (as far as he can know). I know people in the team and what Ross conveys to the media are the same (albeit with less details) conclusions that he gives to the team.
i.e. if he says that they struggled because of overheating the tyres, that is exactly what the team think the problem is.

#1349 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 4,431 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 15:16

Thanks. :up:

#1350 dhill39

dhill39

• 416 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 15:25

So guys whats the testing schedule this week,is it Lewis or Nico first.