* * * - - 24 votes

Mercedes-AMG 2013 W04

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4001 replies to this topic

#1651 pit5bul

pit5bul

• 650 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:48

well judging by the odds most betting agencies are giving now.. Hamilton's odds have been shortening alot lately... they were 20/1 in Jerez... 16/1 on Tuesday.. they are 12/1 now.. on par with Perez and Raikonen... it seems that the Mercedes is going good mates... we might have a better than expected year... i usually check the odds because betting houses always have inside knowledge !!

Advertisement

#1652 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,278 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:54

The first test spooked me a bit .... but now I am back to where I was before testing started.... heard the car was good and that's all I need to know to be content for the time being.

#1653 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:55

If Lewis can achieve a podium in the first 4 fly aways ill be happy, anything more is a bonus.

#1654 femi

femi

• 6,203 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:55

well judging by the odds most betting agencies are giving now.. Hamilton's odds have been shortening alot lately... they were 20/1 in Jerez... 16/1 on Tuesday.. they are 12/1 now.. on par with Perez and Raikonen... it seems that the Mercedes is going good mates... we might have a better than expected year... i usually check the odds because betting houses always have inside knowledge !!

I have never placed a bet in my life and still don't know how... :) anywhere I can access good online training on this - FOC please.

#1655 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:00

I have never placed a bet in my life and still don't know how... :) anywhere I can access good online training on this - FOC please.

baby steps first. Start with the lottery its simple and only cost a buck. A long shot though :)

#1656 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 606 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:03

baby steps first. Start with the lottery its simple and only cost a buck. A long shot though :)

and wave goodbye to your money :wave:

#1657 KiloWatt

KiloWatt

• 1,183 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:31

and wave goodbye to your money :wave:

Rather burn it. You lot in the Northern Hemisphere are in winter now right? I'm sure you can use the heat.

#1658 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 3,203 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:35

It's also driven by punters placing bets, lots of Hamilton fans shortening the odds. The fact that nico is at 40/1 in the same car and that Merc are at 20/1 for the championship speaks volumes.

#1659 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:44

http://www.formule1....61531444.36.jpg

old rear wing end plate? (numberless)

Advertisement

#1660 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 2,648 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:56

inside knowledge?, perhaps if the know about a fixed football game. They have the same sources like every other fan, and the see that the mercedes is running very good at the moment, a lot of people start to bet and boom you have different odds. even mercedes itself do not know were they stand..

Edited by 1Devil1, 22 February 2013 - 12:57.

#1661 argiriano

argiriano

• 890 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 13:02

Ted Kravitz ‏@tedkravitz

Lewis Hamilton says he isn't looking like being able to challenge for wins this season. Downplaying expectations? Full intvw on F1 Show 5pm

#1662 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,342 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 13:09

Ted Kravitz ‏@tedkravitz

Yep, pretty obvious stuff really. No one really thinks Mercedes can not just simply turn around a 1.5 second deficit, and then GAIN an extra few tenths to keep up with everyone else's improvements. They've had a good winter so far, but anyone getting excited about possible wins needs to get real.

#1663 Masenco

Masenco

• 819 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 13:11

Ted Kravitz ‏@tedkravitz

I'd prefer to wait until I see the full interview before I think about that any further; I believe Lewis means wins from the start of the season rather than all-throughout (which would be quite expected)

#1664 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 2,150 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 13:11

Yep, pretty obvious stuff really. No one really thinks Mercedes can not just simply turn around a 1.5 second deficit, and then GAIN an extra few tenths to keep up with everyone else's improvements. They've had a good winter so far, but anyone getting excited about possible wins needs to get real.

I believe Mercedes will start the season in much better shape than last year. The question mark will be their development pace through the season, that's where they lost huge amount.

#1665 kedia990

kedia990

• 345 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 13:17

Ted Kravitz ‏@tedkravitz

And this from the person who's set the fastest time on hards in these 4 days with very decent looking long stints. Downplaying expectations much? Alonso did much better with much worse, I'd take the interview with a pinch of salt.

#1666 SunnyENTP

SunnyENTP

• 717 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 13:23

I believe Mercedes will start the season in much better shape than last year. The question mark will be their development pace through the season, that's where they lost huge amount.

If you dont have a good base and of course an aero team you would lose the development race. This time they have both. But they would be playing catching up all season.

#1667 KiloWatt

KiloWatt

• 1,183 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 13:41

Is it just me having a victim mentality or is there some double standards going on? Everyone is saying that the deficit mercedes had last year is insurmountable. Yet Lotus (who btw seems to be the darling of this BB for some reason) managed to do it last year. The very same Lotus (nee, Renault) that got it's arse handed to it by this very team for two years on the trot not so long ago (2010 and 2011).

I'm not saying that Mercedes have made the leap to the top 3, I'm just saying that the task is not as impossible as it seems and that it has been done.

Edited by KiloWatt, 22 February 2013 - 13:42.

#1668 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 13:50

Lewis Hamilton spoke to the media during the lunch hour and here's a couple of choice quotes. Firstly, summing up the strengths and weaknesses of his new Mercedes, Lewis said: “The engine is the strongest point, the downforce is the weakest point. Nice and easy.”

He also set out the team’s target in terms of performance. “I think that people are talking us up at the moment. Vettel and Fernando are saying that we’re going to compete for the World Championship. I really don’t see that happening. Of course that’s our goal, but you’ve got to remember the car was over a second, sometimes two seconds, off last year. We haven’t caught two seconds up and the other teams would have put another second on this year, so we’ve not gained three seconds. That’s just a fact.

“Hopefully by the end of the year, we’ll have gained three seconds – that’s our goal. But definitely not at the beginning.” Hamilton added that he is targeting top ten finishes in the early races.

From F1 Tech forum, not sure of source.

#1669 trogggy

trogggy

• 7,245 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 13:52

Given their consistency of pace during testing so far I think anything other than a podium would be a complete failure for Mercedes and Hamilton. Just IMHO though.

Much too subtle. :lol: :lol: :lol:

#1670 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 13:54

Lewis Hamilton spoke to the media during the lunch hour and here's a couple of choice quotes. Firstly, summing up the strengths and weaknesses of his new Mercedes, Lewis said: “The engine is the strongest point, the downforce is the weakest point. Nice and easy.”

He also set out the team’s target in terms of performance. “I think that people are talking us up at the moment. Vettel and Fernando are saying that we’re going to compete for the World Championship. I really don’t see that happening. Of course that’s our goal, but you’ve got to remember the car was over a second, sometimes two seconds, off last year. We haven’t caught two seconds up and the other teams would have put another second on this year, so we’ve not gained three seconds. That’s just a fact.

“Hopefully by the end of the year, we’ll have gained three seconds – that’s our goal. But definitely not at the beginning.” Hamilton added that he is targeting top ten finishes in the early races.

and there you have it. Straight from the horses mouth!!

#1671 Masenco

Masenco

• 819 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 13:56

Lewis is making the car sound quite abit worse that what we're making out from testing :S
He seems to be indicating that the car is over 1 second off the pace of the leaders.

#1672 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 13:57

I think he just knows not to hype it up just to get bitten in the ass.

He might be pleasantly surprised come Melbourne.

#1673 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,075 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 13:58

JB and Fred both said their cars are comparable to the previous one in Brazil spec. Find it hard to believe that next week's upgrades will be worth a second, I'd expect perhaps half that, but having said that I do like this measured approach.

#1674 Grundle

Grundle

• 692 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 13:58

Isn't it the same engines he was using last year? That may cause some McLaren paranoia.

#1675 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 8,415 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 13:59

Much too subtle. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The moment of clarity has dawned. :lol:

#1676 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,447 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 13:59

and there you have it. Straight from the horses mouth!!

The next question was "Why such the long face?"

#1677 Masenco

Masenco

• 819 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 14:03

I think he just knows not to hype it up just to get bitten in the ass.

He might be pleasantly surprised come Melbourne.

Not hyping the car up is one thing, but he's basically just said that the car is probably over 1 second slower than the top cars

#1678 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 14:07

Not hyping the car up is one thing, but he's basically just said that the car is probably over 1 second slower than the top cars

We all know Lewis like to talk other cars up, so based on last years gap 1-2 seconds and potential gains of this years car the W04 is going to be within a second of the top teams.

Things that will help Mercedes close the gap:

• New front wing
• Coanda exhaust
• 60% wind tunnel model

#1679 trogggy

trogggy

• 7,245 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 14:08

He's taking a leaf out of Alonso's book, that's all.
Edit: ...and there's no criticism intended there.

Edited by trogggy, 22 February 2013 - 14:09.

Advertisement

#1680 windtravels

windtravels

• 901 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 14:08

Pretty negative really, he doesn't sound too impressed. He is normally pretty transparent even when playing down expectations.

Maybe the testing times (which look good) are deceiving us all...

#1681 Masenco

Masenco

• 819 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 14:10

We all know Lewis like to talk other cars up, so based on last years gap 1-2 seconds and potential gains of this years car the W04 is going to be within a second of the top teams.

Things that will help Mercedes close the gap:

• New front wing
• Coanda exhaust
• 60% wind tunnel model

Hope you're right buddy and that Lewis is just talking others' cars up.

#1682 Xeriks

Xeriks

• 857 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 14:11

He is just downplaying expectations, something Alonso does all the time.

#1683 oligc94

oligc94

• 511 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 14:11

He's taking a leaf out of Alonso's book, that's all.
Edit: ...and there's no criticism intended there.

:up:

Seemed to do no harm to Alonso's reputation last year. I suspect Hamilton wants to keep expectations down, as he always seems to. He, perhaps more so than JB, was the McLaren driver who was always more cautious about prospects. He'd rather fly under the radar and stick it on pole in Melbourne I bet :D

#1684 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,153 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 14:13

Pretty negative really, he doesn't sound too impressed. He is normally pretty transparent even when playing down expectations.

Maybe the testing times (which look good) are deceiving us all...

He's better off downplaying the car this way expectations aren't so high. Too many people have talked up MGP cars as being better than advertised, only for the whole thing to blow up in their face.

While it's nice to have high expectations, this is not one of the teams anyone should be having them regarding since they have shown consistently they are unable to develop a car capable of meeting them.

#1685 Masenco

Masenco

• 819 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 14:15

Maybe he's attempting to re-ignite his target of taking a mid-field team to the front of the grid; now that the car is good, he's pretending it's not so that when he wins the championship he can say it was his development skills :lol:

#1686 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 14:20

http://www.formule1....61540390.99.jpg
http://www.formule1....61530153.09.jpg
http://www.formule1....61540383.99.jpg
http://www.formule1....61540384.52.jpg
http://www.formule1....61540388.87.jpg

#1687 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,399 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 14:22

Maybe he's just being realistic? Rosberg seems to be saying similar things.

#1688 Snic

Snic

• 564 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 14:28

http://www.formule1....61540390.99.jpg
http://www.formule1....61540383.99.jpg
http://www.formule1....61540384.52.jpg
http://www.formule1....61540388.87.jpg

:up:

#1689 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 1,934 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 14:29

He is being very realistic,people are getting too excited about these tests.

I hope reality don't hit hard on us on Melbourne.

#1690 micktosin

micktosin

• 442 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 14:31

One thing is for sure, Merc doesn't look a full second behind the leaders.

#1691 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,075 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 14:33

Maybe he's just being realistic? Rosberg seems to be saying similar things.

On the whole I agree but every so often Rosberg says stuff like this - http://www1.skysport...runners-in-2013

#1692 Xeriks

Xeriks

• 857 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 14:34

:love:

#1693 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 14:36

:love:

Yeah, my new wallpaper. :up:

#1694 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,399 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 14:37

On the whole I agree but every so often Rosberg says stuff like this - http://www1.skysport...runners-in-2013

That doesn't contradict anything he said. 'Closer to the top guys' is a pretty vague statement considering how far back they were at the end of last year.

#1695 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 1,934 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 14:40

I Must admit,our lewis on this mercedes is looking much better than i thought last year.

#1696 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,075 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 14:42

That doesn't contradict anything he said. 'Closer to the top guys' is a pretty vague statement considering how far back they were at the end of last year.

True, I thought you'd say that but I meant more the tone/positivity that seems to come from him rather than Lewis.

#1697 Alx09

Alx09

• 1,278 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 14:43

Lewis sounds realistic, and there is no need for him to play up expectations as 1. They don't know the exact pace of others 2. It will be more positive if it goes well.

Edited by Alx09, 22 February 2013 - 14:46.

#1698 Masenco

Masenco

• 819 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 14:44

True, I thought you'd say that but I meant more the tone/positivity that seems to come from him rather than Lewis.

Yeah that's the thing I'm focusing on too, it's not so much what he's saying as much as his choice of words. Of course we have to see the interview in video form and in the right order to judge properly.

#1699 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 14:45

Also the car is probably a lot more to Nicos liking atm, so he can drive it close to the guys at the front.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nico is ahead of Lewis for the first few races.

Advertisement

#1700 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,075 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 14:48

This bit sounds good, mind you:

Hamilton believes Mercedes' W04 currently holds a respectable position just behind the absolute frontrunners.

"It's a work in progress. We have stuff to add to it, stuff to work on, things that are better than what I have experienced, things that are not as good," he said.

"Downforce is not great but we have some updates. It's probably not fast enough to be the quickest but it's not slow, that's for sure."

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/105674

About as good as people hoped for before the season, well done Mercedes.