* * * - - 24 votes

Mercedes-AMG 2013 W04

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4001 replies to this topic

#1951 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,120 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 15:44

The BBC have posted an interview with Jenson Button – he names Mercedes, Ferrari and Lotus as the teams who look quick. The plot thickens…

http://t.co/jRc8HAoDO2

Love JB's straightforwardness, if only more were like him. Hope he's correct and also find it somewhat comical the difference between his and Lewis' comments.

Advertisement

#1952 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 15:45

Love JB's straightforwardness, if only more were like him. Hope he's correct and also find it somewhat comical the difference between his and Lewis' comments.

Jenson is just trying to put LH/Merc on the spot, play mind games and call their bluff...

#1953 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,656 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 15:49

Jenson is just trying to put LH/Merc on the spot, play mind games and call their bluff...

Why do people think that everything that people say in F1 has some secret, alternate motive?

#1954 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,120 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 15:50

Not really, (maybe he is I can't say "no he's not" definitively) he just said from looking at testing times Merc look fast, which they do, (see fuel-adjusted lap time analysis, also NR's stint where times improved :drunk: ).

#1955 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,120 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 15:52

Why do people think that everything that people say in F1 has some secret, alternate motive?

Isn't that a law of the F1 world?

:p

#1956 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 15:56

cos its easier to default to that than contain the excitement of your car being named amongst the best and you publicly wetting yourself in anticipation :)

#1957 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 3,825 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 16:19

Fair comment but that reeked of a mclaren pr exercise. Why else would they bring in a reporter the day before the test, a day or so after losing their td other than to try and shape the narrative. Jb will have been briefed and the questions would have been agreed before it started. This wasn't a casual, post race interview that the drivers have to do. It will have been instigated by mclaren and organised for a very specific reason. We must therefore take jbs comments with a pinch of salt

#1958 SR388

SR388

• 4,039 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 16:34

Because this is a sport where things are just as often decided with lawyers as they are with race cars.

Edited by SR388, 27 February 2013 - 16:34.

#1959 peroa

peroa

• 8,985 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 16:41

Oh, that's so cute.

Advertisement

#1960 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,656 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 16:44

Fair comment but that reeked of a mclaren pr exercise. Why else would they bring in a reporter the day before the test, a day or so after losing their td other than to try and shape the narrative. Jb will have been briefed and the questions would have been agreed before it started. This wasn't a casual, post race interview that the drivers have to do. It will have been instigated by mclaren and organised for a very specific reason. We must therefore take jbs comments with a pinch of salt

That sounds very paranoid to me.

And I would think PR stuff like this is scheduled ahead of time.

#1961 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 3,825 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 17:22

That sounds very paranoid to me.

And I would think PR stuff like this is scheduled ahead of time.

You know me Sean! Still expect merc to be 5th fastest despite jbs words

#1962 mlsnoopy

mlsnoopy

• 2,356 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 19:16

I think that we can all agree that Mercedes closed the gap on the frontrunners. Now if any of them run into problems they should be right there to pick up the points. If we look at Ferrari last year, they almost won the WDC, why couldn't Mercedes do something similar.

#1963 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 3,058 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 19:25

I think that we can all agree that Mercedes closed the gap on the frontrunners. Now if any of them run into problems they should be right there to pick up the points. If we look at Ferrari last year, they almost won the WDC, why couldn't Mercedes do something similar.

Mercedes closed the gap to the front runners, which team member told you that? I don't where this speculation come from, we only saw some test times, nothing more. Mercedes could be on the same position as last year, we don't know the fuel load, we don't know the test program. Let's wait and see, after ten races you could think about the WDC. :drunk:

#1964 mlsnoopy

mlsnoopy

• 2,356 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 20:44

Mercedes closed the gap to the front runners, which team member told you that? I don't where this speculation come from, we only saw some test times, nothing more. Mercedes could be on the same position as last year, we don't know the fuel load, we don't know the test program. Let's wait and see, after ten races you could think about the WDC. :drunk:

So what do you think? That we shouldn't discuss what any of us saw in testing, how good or bad the car is. Ok

#1965 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 3,058 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 21:37

So what do you think? That we shouldn't discuss what any of us saw in testing, how good or bad the car is. Ok

Of course you should discuss the what you saw. But you should be careful to state something as fact (you think all agree) that can't be proven till the flag goes down in Melbourne. There is a difference between an assumption - Mercedes could be quite good looking at the test sheet or a fact : Mercedes closed the gap to the front runners - we all know that and agree on that

#1966 Masenco

Masenco

• 819 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 21:50

Of course you should discuss the what you saw. But you should be careful to state something as fact (you think all agree) that can't be proven till the flag goes down in Melbourne. There is a difference between an assumption - Mercedes could be quite good looking at the test sheet or a fact : Mercedes closed the gap to the front runners - we all know that and agree on that

Indeed it is an assumption that the gap between merc and the front runners is smaller than last year, but through everything we've heard and seen from testing, trackside, aero analysis, team quotes ect, it is reasonable to assume.
We will find out by how much come melbourne.

Edited by Masenco, 27 February 2013 - 21:51.

#1967 baddog

baddog

• 23,631 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 00:25

Indeed it is an assumption that the gap between merc and the front runners is smaller than last year, but through everything we've heard and seen from testing, trackside, aero analysis, team quotes ect, it is reasonable to assume.

On the contrary, going into the season last year there was a reasonable case that Merc was the fastest car outright. This year that appears most definitely NOT to be the case. Ergo they have most certainly not gained time compared to the same period last year.

#1968 MP422

MP422

• 2,036 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 00:34

It seems like you can't be sure they have not closed the gap, It goes both ways methinks. I think the final test will show a better picture of what to expect. Mercedes is much improved from the outset so it's not unconventional for someone to believe they may have closed the gap.

This sport has surprised me more then once.

#1969 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:05

On the contrary, going into the season last year there was a reasonable case that Merc was the fastest car outright. This year that appears most definitely NOT to be the case. Ergo they have most certainly not gained time compared to the same period last year.

What?? Merc have looked stronger this preseason than last one.

#1970 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,656 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:30

On the contrary, going into the season last year there was a reasonable case that Merc was the fastest car outright.

Not sure you could hire the best lawyer in the world to argue that case.

#1971 baddog

baddog

• 23,631 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:59

The only car faster outright AT THAT POINT was probably the mac. you forget so soon how lost ferrari, redbull etc were at the start of the season.

#1972 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,656 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:02

The only car faster outright AT THAT POINT was probably the mac. you forget so soon how lost ferrari, redbull etc were at the start of the season.

I haven't forgotten. I've rewatched the 2012 season the past couple months actually.

I think Red Bull and Lotus were faster overall. And Mclaren, of course. Even the race that Rosberg won, I think Mclaren was the faster car, but Button got caught behind Schumacher for too long in the beginning to challenge for the win.

Edited by Seanspeed, 28 February 2013 - 02:03.

#1973 baddog

baddog

• 23,631 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:46

You think that before melbourne lotus and redbull were faster? Lotus were a wildcard, with some real peaks in performance I will grant that, but redbull like ferrari were precisely nowhere at that point, and mac/merc were pretty much even at the top.

#1974 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:54

Vettel easily caught up to Schumi even though he was driving pretty badly (going wide all over the place). Merc might have been decent in qualifying but it was overheating the tires all year long which limited their race pace.

#1975 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:48

You think that before melbourne lotus and redbull were faster? Lotus were a wildcard, with some real peaks in performance I will grant that, but redbull like ferrari were precisely nowhere at that point, and mac/merc were pretty much even at the top.

are people trying to rewrite history or what? Mercedes sucked and that's the fact. Unless you want to prove that they had brilliant car but their drivers were slow. I still believe that if China wouldn't be as could as it was, they wouldn't win there. And I wonder how you can asume these things just from times [preseason]. With Ferrari, I do agree. But not with Red Bull Racing

Edited by Shiroo, 28 February 2013 - 05:51.

#1976 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,757 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:09

Vettel easily caught up to Schumi even though he was driving pretty badly (going wide all over the place). Merc might have been decent in qualifying but it was overheating the tires all year long which limited their race pace.

It wsn't overheating ther tyres all year long.

#1977 MaxisOne

MaxisOne

• 1,254 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:47

It wsn't overheating ther tyres all year long.

Ok if you want to be specific... The W03 did not eat the tyres for China and Monaco...

Apart from those two tracks BigChrome is unfortunately spot on about the car overheating its tyres during the races last year. Especially after they started the coanda upgrade... The exhaust was overheating the tyres.. And the chassis suspension was already hard on them from the get go.

Ferrari couldnt get enough heat in the tyre for quali but had superb tyre management for race pace.. The W03 on the other hand could bring the tyres to heat quickly for quali and then rapidly move above of the optimal temp windows in race sim.

Edited by MaxisOne, 28 February 2013 - 06:54.

#1978 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,757 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:59

Ok if you want to be specific... The W03 did not eat the tyres for China and Monaco...

Apart from those two tracks BigChrome is unfortunately spot on about the car overheating its tyres during the races last year. Especially after they started the coanda upgrade... The exhaust was overheating the tyres.. And the chassis suspension was already hard on them from the get go.

Ferrari couldnt get enough heat in the tyre for quali but had superb tyre management for race pace.. The W03 on the other hand could bring the tyres to heat quickly for quali and then rapidly move above of the optimal temp windows in race sim.

I didn't say the car was not eating it's tyres all the time. I said it was not always overheating them. Yes, I was trying tobe specific. I have said before, yes, the only time when you could say that the car generally cooked its rear tyres was when they tried the coanda. Otherwise the tyre eating was not specifically an overheating problem. Sometimes it was the lack of heating.

#1979 tomjol

tomjol

• 133 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:09

It seems like you can't be sure they have not closed the gap, It goes both ways methinks. I think the final test will show a better picture of what to expect. Mercedes is much improved from the outset so it's not unconventional for someone to believe they may have closed the gap.

This sport has surprised me more then once.

Yes it goes both ways, but the onus is on the person making the assertion to prove it, not others to prove the opposite.

What?? Merc have looked stronger this preseason than last one.

They have looked OK this pre-season. Last year as I remember they were looking pretty handy, everyone was worried about double DRS.

I haven't forgotten. I've rewatched the 2012 season the past couple months actually.

I think Red Bull and Lotus were faster overall. And Mclaren, of course. Even the race that Rosberg won, I think Mclaren was the faster car, but Button got caught behind Schumacher for too long in the beginning to challenge for the win.

I agree, but this is not following the topic, which is the apparent pace of the cars pre-Melbourne

During the races, all of which came after testing, and the point of debate is about testing.

are people trying to rewrite history or what? Mercedes sucked and that's the fact. Unless you want to prove that they had brilliant car but their drivers were slow. I still believe that if China wouldn't be as could as it was, they wouldn't win there. And I wonder how you can asume these things just from times [preseason]. With Ferrari, I do agree. But not with Red Bull Racing

Everybody acknowledges that the car last year was flawed. This is about how things looked pre-Melbourne.

Does anybody in this thread actually read the posts they are replying to? :confused:

Advertisement

#1980 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:15

I remember in the preseason MS going to the presses and specifically trying to damage control and say that they weren't having huge tire problems when they most likely did.

I didn't say the car was not eating it's tyres all the time. I said it was not always overheating them. Yes, I was trying tobe specific. I have said before, yes, the only time when you could say that the car generally cooked its rear tyres was when they tried the coanda. Otherwise the tyre eating was not specifically an overheating problem. Sometimes it was the lack of heating.

The only time I recall them not getting enough heat into the tires was in Malaysia's rain. Other than that there were a lot of instances where they were specifically overheating the tires, even before the Coanda exhausts were added. Overheating the tires is just an effect of downforce deficiency.

#1981 dans79

dans79

• 279 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:57

I remember in the preseason MS going to the presses and specifically trying to damage control and say that they weren't having huge tire problems when they most likely did.

The only time I recall them not getting enough heat into the tires was in Malaysia's rain. Other than that there were a lot of instances where they were specifically overheating the tires, even before the Coanda exhausts were added. Overheating the tires is just an effect of downforce deficiency.

No, you are incorrect. early in the season they were using up the tires, because of low down force, and hi slippage angles. Both of witch where related to the ddrs.
Only when they started to mess with a conda exhaust did they cook the tyres.

#1982 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:02

You don't overheat the tires from high slip angles? That's news to me.

#1983 JimboJones

JimboJones

• 80 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:26

Overheating the tires is just an effect of downforce deficiency.

No, you are incorrect. early in the season they were using up the tires, because of low down force, and hi slippage angles. Both of witch where related to the ddrs.

You don't overheat the tires from high slip angles? That's news to me.

Clearly, none of you have the slightest clue as to what heats tyres, so why bother arguing?
Caterham had less downforce, but they didn't overheat rear tyres??
DDRS doesn't even enter into it as it's used so rarely in the race
And if you don't think high slip increases temperature, maybe the drivers should attack the GP like a rally stage, that'll help!

#1984 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,960 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:32

Where did you get this piece of information because it's nonsense.

#1985 Smitla321

Smitla321

• 337 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:47

Does anyone know what upgrades are on the car for this test? The W04 will be Melbourne spec now surely?

Can't wait to see some pics!

#1986 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:49

http://www.f1fanatic...tures/_mg_0080/

One pic here, but it doesn't show much.

#1987 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:09

http://www.sutton-im...ded1328fe01.jpg

Bigger undercut on the side pods, also change in Petronas sponsorship.

#1988 skyform

skyform

• 426 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:24

Ah no luck for Hamilton, he already lost a day because of rain in the last test and he gets it again today, he really needs more dry testings.

#1989 Xeriks

Xeriks

• 895 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:30

Ah no luck for Hamilton, he already lost a day because of rain in the last test and he gets it again today, he really needs more dry testings.

He also lost a day in his first ever test for Mercedes, looks like he's brought over the bad luck he had at Mclaren!

#1990 skyform

skyform

• 426 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:41

He also lost a day in his first ever test for Mercedes, looks like he's brought over the bad luck he had at Mclaren!

I know but Nico lost it too but he had no problems since then while Lewis really seems to continue with the bad luck from last year. :|

#1991 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:44

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

No monkey seat

Maybe new rear wing end plate?

#1992 TF110

TF110

• 1,044 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:01

Notice the difference to the bargeboard?
http://www.f1fanatic.../02/MG_0080.jpg

Edited by TF110, 28 February 2013 - 10:02.

#1993 amppatel

amppatel

• 506 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:06

Notice the difference to the bargeboard?
http://www.f1fanatic.../02/MG_0080.jpg

NO, what is different?

#1994 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,960 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:14

I read somewhere they will run the melbourne package on sat and sun.

#1995 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,120 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:15

Don't think the sidepods are new jrg19.

#1996 baddog

baddog

• 23,631 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:16

are people trying to rewrite history or what? Mercedes sucked and that's the fact. Unless you want to prove that they had brilliant car but their drivers were slow.

Ermm.. me? Are you sure you meant that?

My point is that they flattered to deceive enormously last year, going from very fast indeed before the start to pretty fast (Schumacher was second only in qualy performance to Hamilton all the way through Monaco) to absolutely dire if you look at the whole season. There is no reason to think they wont be a deck of cards this year again, it has been a pattern.

#1997 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,120 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:17

I read somewhere they will run the melbourne package on sat and sun.

Expect so :up:

#1998 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:38

Don't think the sidepods are new jrg19.

I think its the change in the petronas branding that threw me.

#1999 alframsey

alframsey

• 1,520 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:39

I really don't remember there ever being a case for the Merc being the fastest car this time last year, ever. As far as I can remember everyone was saying the McLaren and RBR looked like they were on rails, the Lotus and Merc just behind with Ferrari floundering. Not once do I remember the Merc being considered the outright fastest car.

Advertisement

#2000 alframsey

alframsey

• 1,520 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:45

Are you just making this up as you go along? Nobody ever considered RBR to be 'nowhere', yes they had lost performance but were considered by most people watching and reading to be the second fastest car behind Macca. I can't find the articles atm because I'm not that great at find older articles.