Mercedes-AMG 2013 W04

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4001 replies to this topic

#2101 bauss

bauss

• 4,946 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 00:05

http://en.espnf1.com...ory/101864.html

why I'm I not one bit surprised?... matter of fact, the surprise is the difference has been so stark to admit it this early. If he can put the car in top 5 in Melbourne, moving to Merc might start looking a masterstroke (assuming a Mac is not on Pole :D )

Edited by bauss, 01 March 2013 - 00:07.

Advertisement

#2102 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 00:15

"I couldn't really be happier."

I think he could be, if his car had some blue, red, yellow and purple on it.

#2103 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 4,429 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 00:34

Glad to hear that Lewis is responding positively to the hard work going into the W04. Looking forward to seeing the final updates on Saturday and Sunday and some good weather.

#2104 Masenco

Masenco

• 815 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 00:45

I think he could be, if his car had some blue, red, yellow and purple on it.

Taken out of conext, he was talking about the atmosphere of the team and the way he and everyone else is working in mercedes.

#2105 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,018 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:07

Good to see Lewis is happy. :)

#2106 MP422

MP422

• 1,717 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:05

What are those two bubbles on the floor to the right of each cardboard looking bit?

Those things hold the fans with the dry ice for the brake cooling when the mechanics take the car back in the garage.

#2107 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,067 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:08

Nice vid of the car as the track dried.

#2108 SR388

SR388

• 3,701 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:00

:kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

Awesome!!! Thanks!!!

#2109 KiloWatt

KiloWatt

• 1,173 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:27

Enjoyed that one, thank you! Apart from the car, I found the tyre discussion interesting as well. :up:

#2110 exmayol

exmayol

• 551 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:18

http://en.espnf1.com...ory/101864.html

why I'm I not one bit surprised?... matter of fact, the surprise is the difference has been so stark to admit it this early. If he can put the car in top 5 in Melbourne, moving to Merc might start looking a masterstroke (assuming a Mac is not on Pole :D )

MSC started 2013 with 3 top 4 starts and while things looked promising they never materialized. I am sure LH has capacity for some great moments even if Mecr turns out as shitty as usual. It's just that someone of LH caliber would want consistently performing car and rightfully so. A bit to early for masterstoke verdicts imho.

#2111 femi

femi

• 6,203 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:31

But the focus on the driver and the driver's performance and the driver being ready for the job at hand is the one thing that I think is a little bit better here. They want me to be as ready as I can possibly be physically and mentally and they want to do everything possible to make sure everything is taken care of. That's something great to experience.

Ron will have a fit :)

#2112 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,067 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:29

http://xpb.cc/thumbn...06DCZR5_450.jpg

Everything looks the same from here.

#2113 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:31

Yeah, I don't understand why they don't just put on the upgrades already. It's not like someone is going to copy their front wing or whatever.

#2114 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,067 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:36

Well the monkey seat is back.

http://img3.auto-mot...d652-664757.jpg
http://img1.auto-mot...74e5-664755.jpg

Couple others

http://img4.auto-mot...39a1-664743.jpg
http://img2.auto-mot...5e08-664748.jpg

#2115 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,390 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:38

Yeah, I don't understand why they don't just put on the upgrades already. It's not like someone is going to copy their front wing or whatever.

I think they want to give both drivers and engineers a timely point of reference with the car as it is. Also, I'd imagine they've only got one set of updates - so they don't want to risk sticking those parts in the fence given the conditions.

#2116 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:39

Front wing cameras under the nose now like most other teams.

#2117 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:01

Do you guys know any Merc mechanics that have twitter accounts? It's always fun to follow team members.

#2118 bauss

bauss

• 4,946 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:32

MSC started 2013 with 3 top 4 starts and while things looked promising they never materialized. I am sure LH has capacity for some great moments even if Mecr turns out as shitty as usual. It's just that someone of LH caliber would want consistently performing car and rightfully so. A bit to early for masterstoke verdicts imho.

you are right.... alot will depend on how Merc perform in the development race.... but I still have the feeling at the end of this year, many will look at the move as not unwise atleast... possibly inspired.

#2119 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:36

They've reworked the sidepods a bit, the big tube looking part that becomes the exhaust doesn't have as pronounced a curve.

Advertisement

#2120 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,067 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:19

They've reworked the sidepods a bit, the big tube looking part that becomes the exhaust doesn't have as pronounced a curve.

Can you show on a pic what you mean? Can't see a difference myself.

#2121 Coops3

Coops3

• 1,573 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:20

When was the last time, two teams using the same engine closely competed for the titles? And I mean properly... 2012 Lotus and RBR were far apart. If I built an engine and another team using it was getting in my way of winning the title (which hasnt been the case with Mercedes so far), I'd ask them to sod off and buy from elsewhere. What say?

I'm not sure, but just because something may not have happened before doesn't mean it can never happen. I mean, consider the conclusion of what you're saying - McLaren forced out of the sport because no one will supply them with an engine? No chance.

Sorry... OT.

#2122 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 8,252 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:41

As I'm sure most noticed yesterday, Mercedes chose not to fun their FDRD yesterday and today, so there is not longer an opening behind the engine airbox inlet. I wonder how developed their current system is and how much more work it may need.

#2123 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,067 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 13:01

Sounds like he thinks they could be right up there, but would rather it be a nice surprise than expecting it, just in case things aren't as good as they perhaps seem. Definitely sounding more positive than the interview with Ted though :up: ( In the interview with Lee, that is).

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/21630743

And another interview - http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/p015rg3p

Edited by Markn93, 01 March 2013 - 13:08.

#2124 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 13:31

As I'm sure most noticed yesterday, Mercedes chose not to fun their FDRD yesterday and today, so there is not longer an opening behind the engine airbox inlet. I wonder how developed their current system is and how much more work it may need.

I wonder if they can only run that system when it's calm. ISTR (I looked it up once) on quite a few circuits the difference between the speed on a fast corner and speed on the straight is only about 20 or 30 kph. So it seems to me if they get a gust of headwind of 20-30 kph the system could switch on and stall the wings in a fast corner.

And it was quite windy yesterday, tailwind on the straight / headwind on the twisty bit...

#2125 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,210 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 13:40

I wonder if they can only run that system when it's calm. ISTR (I looked it up once) on quite a few circuits the difference between the speed on a fast corner and speed on the straight is only about 20 or 30 kph. So it seems to me if they get a gust of headwind of 20-30 kph the system could switch on and stall the wings in a fast corner.

And it was quite windy yesterday, tailwind on the straight / headwind on the twisty bit...

If that's the case it's going to be a pretty useless system.

#2126 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,298 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 14:08

The car looks different today from the side.

#2127 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,067 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 14:11

On sky Lewis said they are testing new components this afternoon.

#2128 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 14:11

They have moved the stickers again.

#2129 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,067 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 14:15

They have moved the stickers again.

I don't think that's what he meant :p

#2130 Guizotia

Guizotia

• 1,290 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 14:25

Surely if you can do that speed in the fast corner then you are able to benefit from the reduced downforce? How is a corner at 100mph different from a straight at 100mph? A gust of wind in either case would have the same effect?

Sounds from your description more like gusts of winds could be a problem in themselves, forget corners/straights.

#2131 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 14:25

Maybe new turning veins under the tub from the live pictures?

#2132 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,067 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 14:28

Maybe the cooling outlets next to the exhaust are no longer there, 'filled in' if you like.

#2133 Tauhid

Tauhid

• 227 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 14:35

I am yet to find what's going on with Mercedes and trying out the soft tyres? Isn't it pretty vital to test these tyres out before the race weekend in these tests? Are they trying to sandbag and show their true pace come Q3 or do they fear that the degrade level of their car on the softs are way too much? Whatever it is, I think their new upgrades will be fitted today and the tomorrow and I hope to see Lewis run on the softs. Just do race simulations and a few quick laps, I am sure the others will try them out tomorrow, weather permitting.

#2134 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,067 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 14:40

I am yet to find what's going on with Mercedes and trying out the soft tyres? Isn't it pretty vital to test these tyres out before the race weekend in these tests? Are they trying to sandbag and show their true pace come Q3 or do they fear that the degrade level of their car on the softs are way too much? Whatever it is, I think their new upgrades will be fitted today and the tomorrow and I hope to see Lewis run on the softs. Just do race simulations and a few quick laps, I am sure the others will try them out tomorrow, weather permitting.

Crofty, on sky commentary, said he asked them the question and the response was because they want to do mileage and a constant/stable tyre to enable that.

#2135 oligc94

oligc94

• 509 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 14:43

As I said earlier in the thread, if Merc did indeed fear that the car will destroy the softs, they would do running to ensure that the problem is solved. Their lack of running on the softs suggests to me that they are focusing on race pace and are confident with the car's performance on low fuel/soft tyres.

#2136 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 14:43

Crofty, on sky commentary, said he asked them the question and the response was because they want to do mileage and a constant/stable tyre to enable that.

Stable ? does that mean they have deg with the softs then

#2137 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,067 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 14:48

Everyone does. Lotus just lost 8 secs in 7 laps on them.

#2138 femi

femi

• 6,203 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 14:48

Don't quite understand that response. At some point by tomorrow, they are going to have to put on those tyres and do mileage on them as well. I don't see the gain in running out of time. If they don't however, I can think of only 2 possible reasons; they are still shredding tyres which I doubt or they are very confident about something which I hope is the case.

I don't have the feeling they are in trouble though...

#2139 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,067 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 14:49

Don't quite understand that response. At some point by tomorrow, they are going to have to put on those tyres and do mileage on them as well. I don't see the gain in running out of time. If they don't however, I can think of only 2 possible reasons; they are still shredding tyres which I doubt or they are very confident about something which I hope is the case.

Same. Think they probably gave him a BS answer to shut him up :p

Advertisement

#2140 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,686 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 15:00

If you want to test cooling, radiators, etc. it's useful to do sequences of continuous running that need to go well beyond the life of the soft tyres. If their test program had laid out testing cooling as a priority, for example, they would have to do the tests on more durable compounds simply to stress the cooling system sufficiently.

Just an example, but you see how the response makes more sense now.

#2141 femi

femi

• 6,203 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 15:06

If you want to test cooling, radiators, etc. it's useful to do sequences of continuous running that need to go well beyond the life of the soft tyres. If their test program had laid out testing cooling as a priority, for example, they would have to do the tests on more durable compounds simply to stress the cooling system sufficiently.

Yep :)

#2142 SunnyENTP

SunnyENTP

• 717 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 15:14

The point is the track they are running is not conducive for soft tyres, they wont be getting much milage from the car (7 at most )and understand what need to be changed or improved. Why bother?

#2143 Tauhid

Tauhid

• 227 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 15:29

The point is the track they are running is not conducive for soft tyres, they wont be getting much milage from the car (7 at most )and understand what need to be changed or improved. Why bother?

great responses. makes much more sense now. However, don't you think the soft compounds are a huge unknown for them? Pirelli and even drivers like Jenson have claimed that the tyres have changed massively. From SunnyENTP's response, I get the feeling that yes why waste time on a tyre that will have little or no benefit due to the track conditions atm. I just hope Merc knows the risks involved, hope they have the same strong cases you guys pointed out rather than hiding from embarrassment...

#2144 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,611 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 15:45

Everybody does. Its perfectly logical to stay on tyres that give some speed and consistency for longish stints when you evaluate parts and setups and time is limited. They aren't hiding anything, they still have time to do some soft tyre short-stints the next two days.

#2145 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 16:00

Everybody does. Its perfectly logical to stay on tyres that give some speed and consistency for longish stints when you evaluate parts and setups and time is limited. They aren't hiding anything, they still have time to do some soft tyre short-stints the next two days.

I know and agree with that but considering the issues they had last year, I just thought it would be wise of them to get some longish runs on the softs as well. At some point in time during the season they will use it during the race. Right now they have done more evaluation on the wets and intermediates than any running on the softs. At best you get like 3-4 races a year where it rains which will be much less than the races that feature a soft tyre.

#2146 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 16:28

Surely if you can do that speed in the fast corner then you are able to benefit from the reduced downforce? How is a corner at 100mph different from a straight at 100mph? A gust of wind in either case would have the same effect?

Sounds from your description more like gusts of winds could be a problem in themselves, forget corners/straights.

Well there are some corners that are flat with the drs open but most are downforce-limited, that's why the downforce setting is a compromise.

The wind is a problem in F1, drivers and commentators are always talking about how it affects the cars - braking distances especially.

It's a bit of a mystery to me how they get passive DRS set up to work reliably at all, but gusts of wind do look like a showstopper when airspeed is the switch.

Dunno though. It's obviously difficult, but they're trying hard. Maybe they have something 'passive' which alters its behaviour under lateral g.

#2147 Wingnut

Wingnut

• 709 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 16:41

100mph airflow in a straight line will have a different pressure level than 100mph round a corner on whatever they're using to activate the 'switch'. The pressure effect of placing the 'pitot-tube' in-line with the air flow compared to even a small angle is pretty significant, so I suspect they will tune the device to activate at different air-flows for each track and have some mechanism to switch off when the pressure drops when going around a corner. I'll be fascinated to find out how they're going to do it though, especially how they switch it off at the end of a straight so the air can reattach to get the downforce back for the corner.

#2148 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 8,252 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 16:53

Davidson (the Merc development driver) has been saying on the F1 Show, that although everyone is positive and working very hard back at HQ in Brackley, he mentioned that the consensus at Merc is that they won't be starting as competitively as they did in 2012.

#2149 Masenco

Masenco

• 815 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 17:06

Davidson (the Merc development driver) has been saying on the F1 Show, that although everyone is positive and working very hard back at HQ in Brackley, he mentioned that the consensus at Merc is that they won't be starting as competitively as they did in 2012.

The merc was really competitive in qually at the start of last year, plus I think everyone struggling with the setup for the perillis might have had something to do with it; so it's not really that bad, though I did think that this year they would start off even better.

Anyhow, we have different messages coming from different sources so we'll see in Aus where we are!

#2150 skid solo

skid solo

• 2,096 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 18:15

I know and agree with that but considering the issues they had last year, I just thought it would be wise of them to get some longish runs on the softs as well. At some point in time during the season they will use it during the race. Right now they have done more evaluation on the wets and intermediates than any running on the softs. At best you get like 3-4 races a year where it rains which will be much less than the races that feature a soft tyre.

It's very cold at the moment and so they wont get any meaningful data on softs anyway.