* * * - - 24 votes

Mercedes-AMG 2013 W04

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4001 replies to this topic

#2351 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,901 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 16:23

I know... which is why I put my little disclaimer re: Gary Anderson...

Yeah. I still hold his opinion in high regard, but the flip-flapping going on this year... I guess it must be really tough figuring out where everyone is right now.

Advertisement

#2352 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 16:24

Apparently, on Sky Sports F1, Mark Hughes said that Mercedes was very quick and that they had great tyre deg. alongside Lotus.

#2353 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 16:24

I remember and you are right. He's an idiot. i remember what he said about McLaren last year as well and how he raved about the Red Bull, then we get to Aus and its KABOOM!!!

You guys are far too hard on Gary Anderson, he can only comment on what he sees, he knows nothing of the internals of the car. And also, if one concept is fundamentally better than another, that's probably quite easy to see for him but what he can't know is how it all works in unison without access to windtunnel data, CFD etc. So it could be the case that he's right in praising McLaren's aggressive design this year and being skeptical of Merc's more conservative design, just that presently Merc are getting more out of their design - and that's taking the testing times at face value. It's really far, far more complicated than "he wasn't impressed with the car's design but it's really fast, so his points must be invalid". NO ONE can judge a car's actual level of performance by just looking at it, but I believe that a trained eye can see which ones have the most potential, and Gary Anderson is normally correct about that sort of thing.

Edited by PretentiousBread, 02 March 2013 - 16:25.

#2354 Smitla321

Smitla321

• 335 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 16:25

Why - they arnt testing for your benefit - they are testing for theirs. They are well aware of what tyre it is.

Okay.........did i say I wanted them to mark the tyre for my benefit? Jeezz

The reason I think its silly is because of the situation we find ourselves in now, no one knowing what tyre the lap was set on. Different insiders saying different things, just a little inconvenient is all.

#2355 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 16:27

Apparently, on Sky Sports F1, Mark Hughes said that Mercedes was very quick and that they had great tyre deg. alongside Lotus.

Is Hughes on telly? Or was this from the website?

#2356 Alx09

Alx09

• 1,278 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 16:27

You guys are far too hard on Gary Anderson, he can only comment on what he sees.

Very true.

#2357 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 16:28

Is Hughes on telly? Or was this from the website?

Don't know. Got that from another message board.

But that wouldn't be the first time some alluded to Merc's good tyre deg.

#2358 SirT

SirT

• 165 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 16:28

Yes, I heard that. They said this is probably down to Mike Elliott on both teams!

#2359 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 16:30

What did Mercedes bring today in terms of new components?

Lewis Hamilton :)

Advertisement

#2360 femi

femi

• 6,203 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 16:30

It's just an opinion. His point was that the Mercedes didn't look to have a lot of tricky aerodynamic features at the Jerez test and he felt this was their down fall last season. And Lewis himself said the car needed more downforce. He didn't write them off, he said they'd need to work hard to give Lewis a car to win races. I don't know if they've added more features since that test to change GA's mind but he's allowed to change his opinion.

:up:

#2361 kedia990

kedia990

• 342 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 16:32

You guys are far too hard on Gary Anderson, he can only comment on what he sees

We all can see what he sees. Difference is, we don't make absurd predictions based on it which differs between 2 opposite extremes from time to time.

#2362 AMG FAN

AMG FAN

• 890 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 16:34

We all can see what he sees. Difference is, we don't make absurd predictions based on it which differs between 2 opposite extremes from time to time.

we do,the only difference is that we are not reporters and don't have our opinions published for the whole world to criticize.

#2363 teejay

teejay

• 3,578 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 16:40

Okay.........did i say I wanted them to mark the tyre for my benefit? Jeezz

The reason I think its silly is because of the situation we find ourselves in now, no one knowing what tyre the lap was set on. Different insiders saying different things, just a little inconvenient is all.

I can assure you their checklist does not include "will we throw forum users into a tyre identifying frenzy"

#2364 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 16:43

“There is no reason to be impressed,” said Hamilton. “We came through all the tests and all the programmes we wanted to do and obviously our upgrade has been a positive, it was a small step forward for us.

“This is a good track to test on and give you a rough idea; if your car is good here then it should be good anywhere. If you look at the (Mercedes) car last year it was quick in Monaco so it should be competitive on the street circuits. When it comes to the downforce circuits it could be quite tough there. The most important thing is that single lap pace can be easily achieved, it’s long run pace that is the tough one.”

http://www.jamesalle...-on-soft-tyres/

Edited by slmk, 02 March 2013 - 16:43.

#2365 Wingnut

Wingnut

• 709 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 16:43

Lewis Hamilton :)

It worked once... but twice? :)

#2366 GS1

GS1

• 34 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 16:45

I was following the autosport interview with Craig Scarborough and he said Lewis did a few laps on unmarked prototype super-softs.
Were these laps timed?

#2367 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

I agree he shoots himself a little bit in the foot with his opinionated stance on these things, but they don't negate his technical expertise.

#2368 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

I think Lewis will fight for the tile.

#2369 meddo

meddo

• 1,445 posts

What is with all the hi fivin¨in here, y˝all??

#2370 Smitla321

Smitla321

• 335 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 16:48

I can assure you their checklist does not include "will we throw forum users into a tyre identifying frenzy"

Like i said before, I can only comment on what I'm told by the broadcasters and F1 insiders (the people that are paid to deliver accurate information to the viewers)

But when it starts confusing the spokes person from the actual tyre supplier, that's when you know it creates to much confusion......

#2371 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 16:49

I predicted weeks ago that by the end of testing they would have managed to convince themselves that the Merc and Hamilton was a championship favourite. Looks like I was spot on. :lol:

#2372 kedia990

kedia990

• 342 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 16:49

I was following the autosport interview with Craig Scarborough and he said Lewis did a few laps on unmarked prototype super-softs.
Were these laps timed?

There are no unmarked prototype super-softs, if Paul Hembery (!) is to be believed.

#2373 kedia990

kedia990

• 342 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 16:50

Na'in special, jus' 'avin a bit of a gander at the 1:20, yer kno? :lol:

#2374 GS1

GS1

• 34 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 16:52

13:33 Rick: Lewis Hamilton set a time this morning using "unmarked" tyres. What exactly are these tyres?

@scarbsf1: “The unmarked tyres Hamilton run were prototype soft-compound tyres.”

#2375 GS1

GS1

• 34 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 16:53

my mistake

scarborough said unmarked prototype softs

#2376 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 16:53

so we all agree the 1.20.5 was definitely on softs.
its the 1.20.8 thats the bone of contention right now. Am I right?

#2377 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 8,252 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 16:55

I predicted weeks ago that by the end of testing they would have managed to convince themselves that the Merc and Hamilton was a championship favourite. Looks like I was spot on. :lol:

I remember :lol:

#2378 kedia990

kedia990

• 342 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 16:56

so we all agree the 1.20.5 was definitely on softs.
its the 1.20.8 thats the bone of contention right now. Am I right?

Yep. But both Autosport and ESPN F1 confirmed specifically that a 1:20.8 was set on mediums. Hard to disagree with both.

#2379 GS1

GS1

• 34 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 16:56

why no stories on "unmarked prototype softs"

Advertisement

#2380 meddo

meddo

• 1,445 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 16:57

H.A.M. still downplaying their chances. "There is nothing special in achieving one lap pace...."
Next round of high fives please...

#2381 MP422

MP422

• 1,717 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 16:58

You didn't predict anything... nonsense...

#2382 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 1,906 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 16:58

Q3 is ours. :lol:

#2383 meddo

meddo

• 1,445 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 17:00

Because they¨re made at secret Romanian Michelin facility. Children labour and all that....

#2384 femi

femi

• 6,203 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 17:00

After some installation laps from several cars, Lewis Hamilton's Mercedes and the McLaren of Sergio Perez start a run. We're expecting some qualifying simulations, so we should see the 2013 cars at their current best.

Marc is immediately impressed by the Mercedes F1 W04. "The Mercedes looks a bit better through here than the McLaren, a bit more planted, with a slightly better change of direction," he says.

"It's probably worth noting that Perez is using the kerb a lot more than Lewis, who looks a bit more controlled.

Posted Image Mercedes is looking good, according to Priestley © LAT

"The Mercedes also looks a bit softer in terms of roll; it squats down on the right rear. If the car's a little bit oversteery, giving it a little more roll can help. But it's a trade-off because you don't want so much it throws the weight around."

Hamilton is then too hot into T1 and runs wide. Later, he also has a moment at the T7 left-hander, briefly losing the rear end.

Next time through he's still on it and again looks impressive. "It's got really good change of direction," adds Priestley.

"I think there's a bit of a feeling Mercedes is playing things down massively. From what I've seen they're coming on quite nicely."

Autosport - trackside observations

Edited by femi, 02 March 2013 - 17:19.

#2385 peroa

peroa

• 8,805 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 17:02

Yep. But both Autosport and ESPN F1 confirmed specifically that a 1:20.8 was set on mediums. Hard to disagree with both.

That's because the 20.8 was done on the unmarked tyres which everyone assumed were mediums because Paulie made a mistake yesterday when he talked to the media.

#2386 teejay

teejay

• 3,578 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 17:05

femi - source?

#2387 windtravels

windtravels

• 901 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 17:05

Autosport - trackside obervations

:up: Thanks for the share, good to hear that.

#2388 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 17:16

And some here predicted weeks ago that if the Merc appeared to be remotely decent, you would be in here to dampen spirits. Looks like they were spot on. :wave:

#2389 Grundle

Grundle

• 692 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 17:18

"don't you worry, don't you worry child" I sure if you hope even harder, they will suck. Keep wishing dude.

#2390 300KPh

300KPh

• 61 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 17:21

looks like this merc is a fast car afterall

#2391 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 877 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 17:21

Becuase they're aren't any.

The softs that are unmarked are identical, just from a different factory.

#2392 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 17:22

I think it would be better advised to wait until Melbourne, no way the Mercedes will be the fastest.

#2393 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 17:23

Try again.

Personally, unlike most of you in here CRYING about how the Merc would be terrible, I never thought they would suck and always expected them to have a decent car. I also advocated that if they were serious about becoming a big team they should go and get Hamilton.

But of course you people only see black and white, it's either doom and gloom or titles, there is no in between.

#2394 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 17:24

Try again.

Personally, unlike most of you in here CRYING about how the Merc would be terrible, I never thought they would suck and always expected them to have a decent car. I also advocated that if they were serious about becoming a big team they should go and get Hamilton.

But of course you people only see black and white, it's either doom and gloom or titles, there is no in between.

Really?

could you link us to the post where you said this or is it a vivid imagination?

Edited by BernieEc, 02 March 2013 - 17:25.

#2395 P123

P123

• 8,003 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 17:29

I don't think this board is any different from the rest; as in full of people who seem sure they know where the cars are in the competitive order after a few testing laps without any information on fuel loads/ DRS usage/ etc. Wait until after Sepang, then you will know. At some point every team bar the two backmarkers has looked good so far. Even the 'experts' in the press can't decide.

#2396 femi

femi

• 6,203 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 17:35

Lewis Hamilton completed his final day of pre-season testing for MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS in Barcelona today.

• In the morning session, Lewis worked through a series of short runs, using the soft compound Pirelli tyre
• The programme included aerodynamic evaluations alongside different set-up options
• After the break, the focus switched to longer runs for the afternoon session, looking at aerodynamics and tyre wear
• Lewis completed 117 laps today, equivalent to 545 kms, to take his total pre-season mileage in the F1 W04 to 2585 kms

Nico Rosberg will drive for the final day of the test tomorrow to complete the team's pre-season testing programme.

Lewis Hamilton

It was great to have a dry track today for my final day of testing, and we were able to get through all the test items that we wanted to achieve by the end of my programme. There's still a lot of work ahead of us to get to where we want to be but the team is doing a great job.

The guys are working so hard at the factory and here at the track; it's been really nice to get to know everyone in the garage and how they work together over the past few weeks. The reliability, the mileage and the step-by-step improvements that we have achieved during the three tests are all very encouraging.

Whilst we've been focusing on our own performance, we definitely haven't seen the full potential of our competitors yet, so it's difficult to predict where we might be. I'll be back at the factory next week doing some final preparation work on the simulator and with my engineers, and then it's off to Melbourne for the first race of the new season with my new team.

- Mercedes AMG Petronas

Barcelona Test - Day 3

Edited by femi, 02 March 2013 - 17:40.

#2397 Pizdek

Pizdek

• 291 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 17:36

ho ho ho!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

After today I m totally convinced we finally have a good car... very good car!!

But like we saw in last few years that our car has strong pace over one lap but it s race pace and tyre degradation whats cousing us massive problems. I dont want to get very excited but I m totally optimistic right now. Aldo has done very good F10 in 2010 and I think he has biggest credits for this W04. Maybe others can do this times but it strange that Anderson and other few guys said that we can fight for championship...

Really exited and its about time for us. Its 3-4 years we ll waiting for good car. Hope its a winner!

#2398 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,067 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 17:37

New floor http://i.imgur.com/jOaQEjs.jpg

#2399 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 1,267 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 17:43

I think Lewis will fight for the tile.

Is he redecorating his bathroom?

Advertisement

#2400 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,740 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 17:49

Try again.

Well since they sucked for the last 3 years, it was rather an easy conclusion to come to.