* * * - - 24 votes

Mercedes-AMG 2013 W04

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4001 replies to this topic

#2551 0113Greenall

0113Greenall

• 55 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 14:05

Not being funny or anything but its the latter, i'll staple myself to a horse if its the former. :)

Cant argue with that, But i said something similiar when i heard about the f-duct been operated by knee.

Advertisement

#2552 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,485 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 14:21

View of new diffuser: https://pbs.twimg.co...ADnf8.jpg:large

Large gap between tyres and floor.

#2553 Xeriks

Xeriks

• 847 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 14:23

Rosberg's last stint on the stopwatch:

1:27.630 / 1:27.138 / 1:27.060 / 1:27.602 / 1:40.369 / 1:28.313 / 1:28.732 / 1:30.664 / 1:29.930 / 1:34.409 / 1:29.130 / 1:29.304 / 1:29.349 / 1:29. 455 / 1:39.710 / 1:29.442.

Sky F1 feed.

#2554 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,914 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 15:09

There are 6 other 'good' cars ahead of them.

#2555 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,193 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 15:10

Its kinda hard to say who is ahead of who right now.

#2556 0113Greenall

0113Greenall

• 55 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 15:12

Who? Mercedes? Possibly yes, 2 RBR, 2 MCL, 2 LOTUS but come melbourne we are all in the dark until Q1 starts and Q3 ends

#2557 femi

femi

• 6,203 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 17:01

LH on the push

LH thinking and talking like a project manager. It is tough to be rational and not love this guy :up:

#2558 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 877 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 17:15

retch

#2559 Tauhid

Tauhid

• 227 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 17:22

Lewis is doing the politically correct things a veteran F1 driver should do. I hope Merc can challenge for the top 6 grid spots. I don't expect wins, but I have a feeling these caliber of drivers can deliver at one race or the other. I don't think the car is fastest by any means, I am sure Lotus, Red Bull and even McLaren are way ahead. Ferrari should be near their range but even then I think, Alonso will trump both Hamilton & Rosberg on similar machinery. I don't think anyone of us should buy into their hype of pace. Forget the praises from the British Media (BBC and SKY).

Advertisement

#2560 kedia990

kedia990

• 342 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 18:13

Lewis is doing the politically correct things a veteran F1 driver should do. I hope Merc can challenge for the top 6 grid spots. I don't expect wins, but I have a feeling these caliber of drivers can deliver at one race or the other. I don't think the car is fastest by any means, I am sure Lotus, Red Bull and even McLaren are way ahead. Ferrari should be near their range but even then I think, Alonso will trump both Hamilton & Rosberg on similar machinery. I don't think anyone of us should buy into their hype of pace. Forget the praises from the British Media (BBC and SKY).

McLaren 2007.
Opening a can of worms here mate.

#2561 cooper

cooper

• 388 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 18:23

McLaren 2007.

Agreed but this isn't the place to discuss McLaren 2007.. Let them believe what they wish! Cars looking nice though, there is a lot of buzz around Mercs potential, hopefully come Melbourne we won't fall flat on our faces.. That would be embarrassing

#2562 kedia990

kedia990

• 342 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 19:03

Agreed but this isn't the place to discuss McLaren 2007.. Let them believe what they wish! Cars looking nice though, there is a lot of buzz around Mercs potential, hopefully come Melbourne we won't fall flat on our faces.. That would be embarrassing

Yea, that's why I stopped with just that :up: . All I'm hoping is that the Merc is atleast competitive, so Hamilton & Rosberg get the fighting chance they deserve.

#2563 femi

femi

• 6,203 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 19:04

I don't see any embarrassment for Merc. They have not been hyping themselves as such. The media and fans are responsible for that. LH has been very consistent in managing expectations.

Anyway, I am convinced they will do OK.

#2564 KiloWatt

KiloWatt

• 1,173 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 19:18

I like that statement. Not hyped, not too heady. Just what the team theselves are trying to communicate.

I think they'll be ok too. If they can mix it with the fag packets (at least, until they break down :p ), we should all be pleased.

Edit:
I've noticed some very hyped and excited folk in this thread, and it is true to keep feet on the ground (I'll be the first to confess this). But it is dangerous one just sets oneself up for dissapointment. Happened in 2010. Happened in 2011. Definitely happened in 2012. Over my dead body is it gonna happen again. It hurts.

Edited by KiloWatt, 03 March 2013 - 19:18.

#2565 Tauhid

Tauhid

• 227 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 19:19

McLaren 2007.

Heh. I regard Lewis as the best racer in the grid but there is no point in arguing that Alonso is still the better all-around driver, the best in the grid and you'll find it hard to see many racing critics prove me wrong. I wish Lewis the best since he is by far my favorite driver but I still see Alonso hauling in more points than the average driver does on a good enough car. Last season, he mesmerized many of us who disliked him from 07. W04 looks good but that's because they already showed their hand, Red Bull and McLaren have yet to do so.

#2566 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 19:39

Heh. I regard Lewis as the best racer in the grid but there is no point in arguing that Alonso is still the better all-around driver, the best in the grid and you'll find it hard to see many racing critics prove me wrong. I wish Lewis the best since he is by far my favorite driver but I still see Alonso hauling in more points than the average driver does on a good enough car. Last season, he mesmerized many of us who disliked him from 07. W04 looks good but that's because they already showed their hand, Red Bull and McLaren have yet to do so.

I think you are selling Hamilton short here...

#2567 bauss

bauss

• 4,947 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 20:00

I think you are selling Hamilton short here...

way short... one thing FA has been successful at with his political comments is convincing everyone his car is crap and he is the one making miracles out of it.

Anyway lets cut it out, this is not the thread for it.

I just hope that unlike last year, Hamilton will have a competent racing team.... if this season is as close as things suggest, that could be the difference.
Ham is capable of doing what FA did last year... and more. What you need is reliability, a competent racing operation n a bit of luck.

#2568 cooper

cooper

• 388 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 20:14

way short... one thing FA has been successful at with his political comments is convincing everyone his car is crap and he is the one making miracles out of it.

Anyway lets cut it out, this is not the thread for it.

I just hope that unlike last year, Hamilton will have a competent racing team.... if this season is as close as things suggest, that could be the difference.
Ham is capable of doing what FA did last year... and more. What you need is reliability, a competent racing operation n a bit of luck.

Great point, you win and lose as a team! If the car is there great, but you need the pit stops, strategy, development, operations and the driver to pull it all together. That's pretty much what took McLaren out last year when they would have been way up there. Ferrari on the other hand pulled it together with Alonso!

#2569 meddo

meddo

• 1,445 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 20:17

On the subject of W04, however, if I may....
Word from Barcelona, and coming from McLaren, is that the Mercedes has a killer of a car. Just like JJ Cale wrote yesterday, H.A.M is deliberately throwing this thing around, letting back to step out every chance he has, and losing valuable time in process of doing that. So, opinion is that Merc also hid their true pace.

#2570 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 20:21

Word from Barcelona, and coming from McLaren, is that the Mercedes has a killer of a car. Just like JJ Cale wrote yesterday, H.A.M is deliberately throwing this thing around, letting back to step out every chance he has, and losing valuable time in process of doing that. So, opinion is that Merc also hid their true pace.

Word from who?

#2571 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 877 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 20:21

Source?

#2572 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,011 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 20:23

So when a car's back steps out it means that it is a great car? Heck, that Marussia needs to have a killer :o
I always thought that such thing can also mean that he is pushing quite a lot in these corners, and rather smooth driving is a good thing (well at least Red Bull disagree with your opinion about how superior back step out is vs driving on rails)

#2573 meddo

meddo

• 1,445 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 20:26

So when a car's back steps out it means that it is a great car? Heck, that Marussia needs to have a killer :o
I always thought that such thing can also mean that he is pushing quite a lot in these corners, and rather smooth driving is a good thing (well at least Red Bull disagree with your opinion about how superior back step out is vs driving on rails)

So, when a driver intentionally does that it means what... And every driver on F1 grid knows how to put the hammer down...

For the serious readers, info came from a guy who worked for FOM for a long time, and really has fine connections. Only problem is that he writes his column in language very few on this board would understand.

#2574 MaxCrazyEddieCayer

MaxCrazyEddieCayer

• 87 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 20:26

may i point out that last year testing too had merc topping the chart at Jerez, and look what happened afterwards... hell even Prost f1 topped the charts at some point in the 90's.... testing means nothing at all, we will see the true picture at melbourne. Hamilton looks confused to me, one time he his saying " we don't expect to win race, then he changed his mind, he his saying he his trully focused on his job at merc yet he was saying that his home his Mclaren, and that he might go back there one day.... we all know he is capable of the best like the worst.... this year will truly be a defining moment for him, we will really see what he is worth... and what will it be? i don't know, i will wait and see...

#2575 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,613 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 20:29

LOL

#2576 dans79

dans79

• 279 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 20:54

may i point out that last year testing too had merc topping the chart at Jerez, and look what happened afterwards...

That's because they ran the W02 with an EBD at Jerez, the W03 didn't see the track till Barcelona.

#2577 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,210 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 20:55

So, when a driver intentionally does that it means what... And every driver on F1 grid knows how to put the hammer down...

For the serious readers, info came from a guy who worked for FOM for a long time, and really has fine connections. Only problem is that he writes his column in language very few on this board would understand.

And one you can't link to?

#2578 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 20:55

Let's revisit your post in 2 weeks time!

#2579 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 4,429 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 21:00

Great test season for Merc, definitely heading in the right direction and the car looking much better than when launched. I remain cautiously optimistic and can't wait for Oz to see how everyone shakes out.

Advertisement

#2580 meddo

meddo

• 1,445 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 21:02

And one you can't link to?

Link

Observation is down below, at the comments section.

#2581 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,782 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 21:09

then McLaren are the only ones...Lotus,Red Bull and Ferrari said they arent worried about times mercedes has done, althought admitted times were good but nothing they also couldn't have done. Mercedes was also less competitive over long runs than Red Bull and Lotus.

#2582 Guizotia

Guizotia

• 1,290 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 21:11

Link

Google Translation of that comment:

"I just spoke with someone from McLaren in Barcelona. Says that it is now (and he watched the cars on the track), Mercedes has the killer's car. Hamilton apparently looks like he really enjoys the ride. Every so often throw a little tail at the exit of the bend. Looks like there's still plenty of reserves.
Of course, winter tests are never a true indicator of form. Mercedes was the case last year on these tests was good ..."

#2583 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 21:11

I was even more impressive 1:20.8 at intermediate tires.
I just talked to someone from McLaren in Barcelona. Says that it is now (and he watched the cars on the track), Mercedes has the killer's car. Hamilton apparently looks like he really enjoys the ride. Every so often throw a little tail at the exit of the bend. Looks like there's still plenty of reserves.
course, winter tests are never a true indicator of form. Mercedes was the case last year on these tests was good ...

From Meddo's article...

#2584 meddo

meddo

• 1,445 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 21:15

I sure hope you guys translated the original article also. Some of the strangest indications there....Like a love story between Ham and Lowe

#2585 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 21:30

I sure hope you guys translated the original article also. Some of the strangest indications there....Like a love story between Ham and Lowe

Yep, read everything. Nice read - some of it I have no trouble believing.

#2586 SirT

SirT

• 165 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 21:46

Could you translate the stuff about Paddy?

#2587 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 21:49

Could you translate the stuff about Paddy?

Chrome browser has a built in translater.

Checking he's the studio analyst for Croatia

http://en.wikipedia....ne_broadcasters

Edited by study, 03 March 2013 - 21:52.

#2588 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 21:56

So he could be seen as someone in the know?

#2589 bauss

bauss

• 4,947 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 22:07

then McLaren are the only ones...Lotus,Red Bull and Ferrari said they arent worried about times mercedes has done, althought admitted times were good but nothing they also couldn't have done. Mercedes was also less competitive over long runs than Red Bull and Lotus.

I will like you to pull out the times that suggest that...

The car looked strong in both cases in this last test....

The big question mark for me remains how the car will fare in hot temps... for all we know, similar issues as last year with tire deg could suddenly pop up... I hope not though.

#2590 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,881 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 22:07

Chrome browser has a built in translater.

Checking he's the studio analyst for Croatia

http://en.wikipedia....ne_broadcasters

ISTR he was executive producer and manager at Bernie's FOM Television, and was also involved with stillborn USF1 team...

#2591 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 22:13

Yep, he's seems to have being around a bit.

#2592 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,914 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 22:18

And what would that achieve, apart from NOT getting them the data they want?

I hardly think the last test is the best time to sand bag especially when tyre deg is very poor and every lap counts ......

#2593 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,011 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 22:20

well W04 seems like a good car, but I wouldn't go hype over that. Mercedes looked ok last year. And you can also say that Renault looked great in 07 or BMW in 09 :]. I still think that W04 will be good car to have for saturday but I still have doubts about sunday. We shall see in Australia :)

#2594 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 22:33

What Language is that, Martian?

come on throw it in here and goole translate will do the rest

#2595 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 22:40

One good thing to come out of this test is a lot of laps. Seems like they broke the 100 lap barrier every time it was dry and they didnt have reliability problems.

Rosberg's last stint on the stopwatch:

1:27.630 / 1:27.138 / 1:27.060 / 1:27.602 / 1:40.369 / 1:28.313 / 1:28.732 / 1:30.664 / 1:29.930 / 1:34.409 / 1:29.130 / 1:29.304 / 1:29.349 / 1:29. 455 / 1:39.710 / 1:29.442.

Sky F1 feed.

That's a pretty good stint.

Merc's longer stints were not any worse than Lotus/Red Bull.
Also if Ferrari were so confident they could beat Mercs times why didnt they do it? Alonso had like 10 tries at it.

#2596 windtravels

windtravels

• 901 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 22:43

We won testing. Yesssssss.

/sarcasm.

Cant wait for Aus now so we can start to see the true pecking order.

Till then, I will be filled with hope over the next two weeks that we can be up there, in the mix fighting for wins.

#2597 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,881 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 22:45

What Language is that, Martian?

come on throw it in here and goole translate will do the rest

He did (and the language is Croatian, hence the comment about being understood by select few :D) :

Link

Edited by Wolf, 03 March 2013 - 22:46.

#2598 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 22:48

He did (and the language is Croatian, hence the comment about being understood by select few :D) :

Thanks just saw the link :up:

what does Pat Fry mean by this. I just have a strange feeling he might be referring to redbull or even McLaren.
http://www.autosport...t.php/id/105828

#2599 tomjol

tomjol

• 107 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 22:53

may i point out that last year testing too had merc topping the chart at Jerez, and look what happened afterwards... hell even Prost f1 topped the charts at some point in the 90's.... testing means nothing at all, we will see the true picture at melbourne. Hamilton looks confused to me, one time he his saying " we don't expect to win race, then he changed his mind, he his saying he his trully focused on his job at merc yet he was saying that his home his Mclaren, and that he might go back there one day.... we all know he is capable of the best like the worst.... this year will truly be a defining moment for him, we will really see what he is worth... and what will it be? i don't know, i will wait and see...

There's this thing you might have heard of, it's called time. It has a logical progression.

After he leaves McLaren:

* Might go back some day
* Don't expect to win a race next year

After testing for the next season:

* Fully focused on new job
* Expects to win a race

That's not confusion.

Advertisement

#2600 GAZF1nut

GAZF1nut

• 585 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 22:59

Was it determined whether Rosberg's fastest lap was done with the DRS activated for most of the lap?