* * * - - 24 votes

Mercedes-AMG 2013 W04

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4001 replies to this topic

#2601 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 23:05

Was it determined whether Rosberg's fastest lap was done with the DRS activated for most of the lap?

He opened it on 2 straights.
Its not possible to have it activated for most of the laps.

Advertisement

#2602 karlth

karlth

• 16,231 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 23:20

Link

Observation is down below, at the comments section.

My eyes are ruined after reading through the colors on that page. White on black does not make for a good reading experience on a glossy LCD screen. :)

#2603 SRK

SRK

• 177 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 23:30

He opened it on 2 straights.
Its not possible to have it activated for most of the laps.

Why?

#2604 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 23:40

From Meddo's article...

I was even more impressive 1:20.8 at intermediate tires.
I just talked to someone from McLaren in Barcelona. Says that it is now (and he watched the cars on the track), Mercedes has the killer's car. Hamilton apparently looks like he really enjoys the ride. Every so often throw a little tail at the exit of the bend. Looks like there's still plenty of reserves.
course, winter tests are never a true indicator of form. Mercedes was the case last year on these tests was good ...

I don't ever remember HAM doing a 1.20.8 on intermediates!!

#2605 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 8,252 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 23:43

I don't ever remember HAM doing a 1.20.8 on intermediates!!

I'm assuming he means the medium compound.

#2606 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 23:44

I'm assuming he means the medium compound.

I thought it was widely agreed it was done on the soft compound. There was a whole debate about this a few pages back and I assumed it had been resolved and was agreed that it was softs

#2607 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,881 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 23:46

Obi is right. Don't trust google translator too much- he said 'medium tyres' in that quote...

#2608 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 8,252 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 23:54

I thought it was widely agreed it was done on the soft compound. There was a whole debate about this a few pages back and I assumed it had been resolved and was agreed that it was softs

I think the author perhaps isn't aware of this or has got round to correcting the article.

#2609 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 23:56

I think the author perhaps isn't aware of this or has got round to correcting the article.

sounds plausible. Makes sense

#2610 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 00:51

It's interesting that they've moved the TV cameras back to the top of the nose, after they had them down on the wing yesterday.

#2611 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 1,267 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 00:56

Is it?

#2612 femi

femi

• 6,203 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:22

Google Translation of that comment:

"I just spoke with someone from McLaren in Barcelona. Says that it is now (and he watched the cars on the track), Mercedes has the killer's car. Hamilton apparently looks like he really enjoys the ride. Every so often throw a little tail at the exit of the bend. Looks like there's still plenty of reserves.
Of course, winter tests are never a true indicator of form. Mercedes was the case last year on these tests was good ..."

Hamilton throwing his tail on exit? What was he driving, a woman ?

Seriously, I didn't see him do that from the clips I've seen. All I can say is the Merc is not a dog of a car and it's got good speed, good traction and mechanical grip, I am going to wait to see how it deals with tyre degradation relative to others in Melbourne and Sepang. I am hoping they bring more DF to the car between now and the season opener as this will help keep the car from sliding too much in the corners which in turn help preserve those tyres.

So far so good is a fair assessment. The team should be ready and keen for the battles ahead - no letup

Edited by femi, 04 March 2013 - 02:00.

#2613 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,189 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:53

Hamilton throwing a tail on exit? What was he driving, a woman ?

If you look carefully, Lewis reaches down into the cockpit sometimes before the braking zone. It looks like he's adjusting the brake balance, but he's actually got fish down there. You see, Lewis is an avid fisherman, but his duties as an F1 driver means he has little time to clean and gut them. One of the reasons he switched to Mercedes was because Mclaren wasn't very accomodating of his hobby, but Mercedes said it was cool if he wanted to enjoy his pasttime while doing his job. Fishing doesn't pay the bills after all. So what you're seeing is Lewis down there gutting the fish and its inevitable you'll see him throw the tail out once in a while.

#2614 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:48

Nico Rosberg completed the final day of pre-season testing for MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS at the Circuit de Catalunya today. With twelve days of track action completed over three tests, the team will return to base to make the final preparations for the season-opening Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne in two weeks time.

http://www.gptoday.c...nt_of_the_F138/

Edited by BernieEc, 04 March 2013 - 05:47.
Please insert a link - flagrant copy & pastes are breach of our rules and general copyright obligations. Thanks

#2615 MightyMoose

MightyMoose
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,083 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:00

As a reminder of our rules, please remember this one when quoting articles available via other media sources:

Members may not use this forum to post content, feeds or illegal streaming links they have copied from other websites into the forum without adequate referencing, attribution and consideration of copyright. Since August 2012, this has included AUTOSPORT and AUTOSPORT PLUS articles.

It would be best to have the opening sentences, and then link to the actual story. Posting a complete quote without referencing is a clear copyright breach and is strictly forbidden.

Thanks

#2616 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,067 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:10

Glad to hear this: (Thanks to google translate)

"We did not run dry," says Niki Lauda

The exhaust is still under construction
The other changes to the car can be seen with the naked eye. The new front wing is a variation of the wing, which was presented on the second day in Jerez. On the base plate in front of the rear wheels, and a new Hitzeabweiser slot can be seen. The engine cover is on even tighter. The exhaust is still ongoing. Lauda pulls his Kapperl: "Since we are not yet at the level that we want."

In the paddock, it came at the end of the lunch break to an interesting encounter. Clean aerodynamicist Willem Toet met Mercedes engineer Aldo Costa. One counted before the other: "You are in comparison to last year became two seconds faster." Costa does not object. Instead, he says, "Yes, but there is still something we need to find more downforce.."

http://www.auto-moto...ge-6741055.html

Edited by Markn93, 04 March 2013 - 05:16.

#2617 femi

femi

• 6,203 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:40

The other changes to the car can be seen with the naked eye. The new front wing is a variation of the wing, which was presented on the second day in Jerez. On the base plate in front of the rear wheels, and a new Hitzeabweiser slot can be seen. The engine cover is on even tighter. The exhaust is still ongoing. Lauda pulls his Kapperl: "Since we are not yet at the level that we want."

In the paddock, it came at the end of the lunch break to an interesting encounter. Clean aerodynamicist Willem Toet met Mercedes engineer Aldo Costa. One counted before the other: "You are in comparison to last year became two seconds faster." Costa does not object. Instead, he says, "Yes, but there is still something we need to find more downforce.."

This may be a tough question to answer but will ask the experts in the forum regardless, where or how can they find more DF and why is it proving to be such a challenge?

#2618 Will

Will

• 2,961 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:28

What impresses me is that despite the personnel changes they all seem to be singing from the same hymn sheet which must be particularly satisfying for Lewis after the politics and pulling in different direction of McLaren.

#2619 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 1,267 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:32

"We need to find more downforce" is a stock answer though for everyone

Advertisement

#2620 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,611 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:36

"We need to find more downforce" is a stock answer though for everyone

yeah, it is kind of getting dumb, really.

#2621 femi

femi

• 6,203 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:41

yeah, it is kind of getting dumb, really.

Really, I don't hear that coming from RB, McLaren and Lotus camps though. At least not this year. I believe Merc really means that. LH had been saying that since day 1, he even used the MP4-27 as a reference.

#2622 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 1,267 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:44

Put it another way then - do you think if any of the teams were asked if they needed more downforce, they'd say "no"?

#2623 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,611 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:52

Really, I don't hear that coming from RB, McLaren and Lotus camps though. At least not this year. I believe Merc really means that. LH had been saying that since day 1, he even used the MP4-27 as a reference.

Yeah, well, it is a more trendy way of telling the team: do your friggin' work better It gives you the impression he knows what he is talking about.

#2624 femi

femi

• 6,203 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:59

Yeah, well, it is a more trendy way of telling the team: do your friggin' work better It gives you the impression he knows what he is talking about.

I am sure he does, he drove both cars... he certainly knows a lot more than some forum "experts"

#2625 femi

femi

• 6,203 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:00

A nice short course on W04

http://www.racecar-e...s/mercedes-w04/

#2626 karlth

karlth

• 16,231 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:02

Put it another way then - do you think if any of the teams were asked if they needed more downforce, they'd say "no"?

Possibly if for example the lack of mechanical grip was more critical. Also a car can have too much downforce if it produces too much drag.

#2627 femi

femi

• 6,203 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:36

KIMI rates Mercedes

#2628 teejay

teejay

• 3,578 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:45

McLaren use "balance"

Lotus make a joke about ice cream

RBR dont know what a lack of DF is

Ferrari just "need to keep pushing"

20 days till I see this thing in Malaysia - CANNOT WAIT

Does anyone know if the drivers are doing any signing sessions in KL?

#2629 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:04

I am sure he does, he drove both cars... he certainly knows a lot more than some forum "experts"

Yeah, surely the significance of what he's saying is 'it is possible to have more downforce'.

Whatever the internal targets and models and so on, the knowledge that rival engineers have found more d/f within the same rules can only help.

#2630 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,193 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:24

Google Translation of that comment:

"I just spoke with someone from McLaren in Barcelona. Says that it is now (and he watched the cars on the track), Mercedes has the killer's car. Hamilton apparently looks like he really enjoys the ride. Every so often throw a little tail at the exit of the bend. Looks like there's still plenty of reserves.
Of course, winter tests are never a true indicator of form. Mercedes was the case last year on these tests was good ..."

The only place he did that was exiting the chicane ... he's do a full 90 degree rotation of the car by steering with the backend ... otherwise he was keeping oversteer undercontrol ... which was not hard as if anything that car looks to want to understeer more than it wants to oversteer.

The only other driver to do this was RG and he was not consistent ... maybe once every fourth lap... SP also did this once or twice... but otherwise all the cars were very well behaved.

So its an LH feature that is being described and not a feature of the Merc... so would not read anything into that part of the report.

The only things the drivers can have fun with this year is picking up the throttle as early as possible and acdelerating like nuts before heavy braking even where there are really short distances between corners ...because of the cars are so well behaved that under braking none of them are unstable ... but the cheese tyres means playing around with oversteer has to be minimised IMO.

#2631 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,067 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:40

When they say they've made improvements "under the skin", what does that mean? What do they improve about the internal aerodynamics, is it packaging and therefore c.o.g, or something completely different?

#2632 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 3,105 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:42

The only place he did that was exiting the chicane ... he's do a full 90 degree rotation of the car by steering with the backend ... otherwise he was keeping oversteer undercontrol ... which was not hard as if anything that car looks to want to understeer more than it wants to oversteer.

The only other driver to do this was RG and he was not consistent ... maybe once every fourth lap... SP also did this once or twice... but otherwise all the cars were very well behaved.

So its an LH feature that is being described and not a feature of the Merc... so would not read anything into that part of the report.

The only things the drivers can have fun with this year is picking up the throttle as early as possible and acdelerating like nuts before heavy braking even where there are really short distances between corners ...because of the cars are so well behaved that under braking none of them are unstable ... but the cheese tyres means playing around with oversteer has to be minimised IMO.

cheers JJ, your insights are invaluable. Book yourself in for next years test!

Edited by bonjon1979a, 04 March 2013 - 10:42.

#2633 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,791 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:50

20 days till I see this thing in Malaysia - CANNOT WAIT

Does anyone know if the drivers are doing any signing sessions in KL?

IIRC, Petronas backed drivers have been holding signing sessions on the Concourse Level of KLCC since 1999. So expect the same this year with Rosberg and Hamilton.

#2634 amppatel

amppatel

• 439 posts

When they say they've made improvements "under the skin", what does that mean? What do they improve about the internal aerodynamics, is it packaging and therefore c.o.g, or something completely different?

Well thats the good thing about making a step under the skin, nobody can find out your tricks! But I think it is something to do with the suspension (nothing to do with aerodynamics). Ted said something last night on his notebook about the W04 being very close to the ground around corners.

#2635 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Apparently, Mercedes will be bringing updates for Malaysia (a new package). Is that confirmed?

#2636 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,740 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:52

If you look carefully, Lewis reaches down into the cockpit sometimes before the braking zone. It looks like he's adjusting the brake balance, but he's actually got fish down there. You see, Lewis is an avid fisherman, but his duties as an F1 driver means he has little time to clean and gut them. One of the reasons he switched to Mercedes was because Mclaren wasn't very accomodating of his hobby, but Mercedes said it was cool if he wanted to enjoy his pasttime while doing his job. Fishing doesn't pay the bills after all. So what you're seeing is Lewis down there gutting the fish and its inevitable you'll see him throw the tail out once in a while.

:lol:

Thanks, that gave me a good laugh :)

#2637 femi

femi

• 6,203 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:01

Apparently, Mercedes will be bringing updates for Malaysia (a new package). Is that confirmed?

What I know was LH encouraging the team bosses to apply more pressure on the team. He said if for example there are updates planned to be on the car in 3 races time, they should be pushed to have on the car in 2. He used Malaysia as an example. That is not to say there are no updates for Malaysia though.

#2638 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,611 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:14

Well, is it? I have read no official, or unofficial news about upgrade timeframes as yet. Where did you read that?

#2639 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:18

What I know was LH encouraging the team bosses to apply more pressure on the team. He said if for example there are updates planned to be on the car in 3 races time, they should be pushed to have on the car in 2. He used Malaysia as an example. That is not to say there are no updates for Malaysia though.

That's what I was referring to, Szoelloe.

Advertisement

#2640 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:18

This gives me goosebumps!!

#2641 peroa

peroa

• 8,805 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:27

Word twistin' much?

#2642 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,611 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:28

That's what I was referring to, Szoelloe.

Ah. That. No, those were nothing concrete, and I doubt he knows about exactly when they are getting the next development upgrades after Melbourne. They should have some small things in Melbourne, but judging by the rate they developed the car from Jerez onwards, there should be a steady flow of developments, but who knows when a bigger one they will recieve? Until Brawn or Costa makes statements in that respect, we won't know for sure. But I wouldn't think anything major will happen during the flyaways. Major should be Barcelona as is usual for everybody.

#2643 teejay

teejay

• 3,578 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:40

IIRC, Petronas backed drivers have been holding signing sessions on the Concourse Level of KLCC since 1999. So expect the same this year with Rosberg and Hamilton.

Awesome.

Will enquire.

#2644 femi

femi

• 6,203 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:02

This gives me goosebumps!!

I had those too but mine went away on getting to his last sentence. Doesn't that worry you a bit?

#2645 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,067 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:09

I had those too but mine went away on getting to his last sentence. Doesn't that worry you a bit?

The exhaust bit? I think it's great, it shows they're trying to push/improve all the more so. When there's pace and you think the car has problems/is by no means optimal yet, then surely improvements can't be hard (relatively) to come by and just imagine what it will be like when they do.

#2646 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 1,267 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:13

This has completely passed me by, but is there an in-season test this year?

#2647 Vic Vega

Vic Vega

• 192 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:17

So, when a driver intentionally does that it means what... And every driver on F1 grid knows how to put the hammer down...

For the serious readers, info came from a guy who worked for FOM for a long time, and really has fine connections. Only problem is that he writes his column in language very few on this board would understand.

Said person worked for IFOM (i.e. Imaginary Formula One Management), therefore I would take everything he says with a truckload of salt.

#2648 femi

femi

• 6,203 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:26

The exhaust bit? I think it's great, it shows they're trying to push/improve all the more so. When there's pace and you think the car has problems/is by no means optimal yet, then surely improvements can't be hard (relatively) to come by and just imagine what it will be like when they do.

I may be setting my desire higher here. I am a bit concerned about DF talks with tyre preservation in mind...
I just hope they have enough.

Does anyone remember how the Merc was with regards to tyre management during last season testing? I must admit Merc was not on my radar last year.

#2649 bogi

bogi

• 2,986 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:30

Said person worked for IFOM (i.e. Imaginary Formula One Management), therefore I would take everything he says with a truckload of salt.

You should really read more stuff from mr. Jergovic, especially when he forgets to take pills.

http://mladenjergovic.com/usf1-story

http://translate.goo.....om/usf1-story - google translate link

#2650 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:35

What Part was that (is it reference made to the tyres?)
Edit: Just re-read it, you mean the part about finding more downforce

Edited by BernieEc, 04 March 2013 - 12:39.