* * * - - 24 votes

Mercedes-AMG 2013 W04

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4001 replies to this topic

#2801 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:10

All that's required is the Alonso kiss of death and then we can safely write off 2013.

We ?? :rolleyes:

Edited by BernieEc, 07 March 2013 - 08:21.

Advertisement

#2802 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,224 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:34

Why are they all picking on us?! :drunk:

read carefully, it's hamilton and rosberg's pre season form, not W04's :p

#2803 femi

femi

• 6,205 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:38

I think CH comments and observations transcends just the speed of W04 and LH. To me, he is seeing that the team as a whole is much better and that is what makes them "dangerous".

I find this more pleasing than the current popular focus on testing performance. I do not think Vettel believes W04 is a threat, he said they will be in future.

#2804 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:06

It's an expression.

#2805 KiloWatt

KiloWatt

• 1,191 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:53

read carefully, it's hamilton and rosberg's pre season form, not W04's :p

Oh ok. Good. I think...

#2806 Guizotia

Guizotia

• 1,347 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:46

It's an expression.

+1

#2807 ZooL

ZooL

• 2,063 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:45

He sounds surprisingly warm towards Lewis. Maybe eyeing him up after Vettel jumps ship? :lol:

Horner has actually said the same thing before when Whitmarsh was criticising Lewis...

#2808 SR388

SR388

• 3,853 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 13:01

Oh god. Not this junk.

It's fine to say we and that's that.

So, do we know if there are anymore updates for Melbourne?

#2809 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 13:11

Id guess at tweaks to the new bits put on at Barcelona, maybe a bigger package in China?

#2810 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 13:20

I'm sort of thinking there might be a new exhaust to try on Friday.

#2811 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,540 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 13:45

I reckon for sure. Because they were so late to the party - and they clearly cocked up their attempt at it last year - they will defo have a lot to gain from it. Perhaps/probably more than the other front running teams. Thus, I'd imagine that the tests were all about functionality..... And that they weren't cooking the tyres rather than absolute, outright performance.

If they've got the basics right - now they can start pissing around with the plume, brake ducts etc as a function of pursuing outright performance....... Says I...... Sitting in my armchair.......

Edited by maverick69, 07 March 2013 - 13:46.

#2812 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,662 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 13:55

Pity the team can't benefit from the filming day today at Silverstone:
https://pbs.twimg.co...Ex4bl.jpg:large
Poor weather.

Edited by Timstr11, 07 March 2013 - 13:56.

#2813 Lamag

Lamag

• 1,075 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 14:37

Does anyone know it the DRS was free-to-use during the last test at barcelona? I mean if the driver was able to use it on all the areas of the track. There is some buzz about Hamilton and Rosberg doing its fastest time using the DRS on all the track.

Edited by Lamag, 07 March 2013 - 14:38.

#2814 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,179 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 14:40

Does anyone know it the DRS was free-to-use during the last test at barcelona? I mean if the driver was able to use it on all the areas of the track. There is some buzz about Hamilton and Rosberg doing its fastest time using the DRS on all the track.

http://forums.autosp...a...t&p=6151673

#2815 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,540 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 14:41

You can bolt a couple of turbos to your engine in testing if you like.

Where is this buzz coming from?

#2816 femi

femi

• 6,205 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 14:43

Can anyone hazard a guess at how much behind Mclare/RB is W04 behind in DF expressed in pounds. I know I am asking guys to spectulate... Please feel free if you can. Best effort is good enough.

#2817 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,282 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 14:44

So long as they strenghten the front end of the car as well... it could have a bit more bite up front IMO

#2818 Lokt

Lokt

• 460 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 14:46

Can anyone hazard a guess at how much behind Mclare/RB is W04 behind in DF expressed in pounds. I know I am asking guys to spectulate... Please feel free if you can. Best effort is good enough.

More than a Tiger but definetly less than a elephant... In pounds ofc.

#2819 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 14:46

Gary Anderson would know. He seems to know how many points or percentage of downforce the redbul was ahead of other cars.l

Advertisement

#2820 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,282 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 14:48

Macca ... not so much.... Redbull ... a noticable amount - just look at the speed trap figures in the Testing thread and in the Ferrari Thread - which also gives a little bit of a hint.

#2821 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 795 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 15:03

Gary Anderson would know. He seems to know how many points or percentage of downforce the redbul was ahead of other cars.l

I believe some of the more experienced and astute commentators, and I couldn't possibly name them for legal reasons, use an audio measurement system that records the sound and frequency shifts of the engine exhaust note; obvs, with down force, the car induces a pressure differential between the still air above it and the compressed, denser air around the body work that creates the down force. The greater the down force, the more marked is this effect. And, as any fule kno, sound travels at different speeds depending on air density & pressure and so by carefully measuring the frequency gradient of the engine noise as it traverses the bands of more, or less, dense air one can induce the amount of down force being generated by the car. Thus it is that these nameless commentators are able to present such precise figures. :up:

#2822 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,849 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 15:19

Where's mine? :p

Also regarding your sig, is not half green, half red perhaps more suitable for Barcelona Test II? I'd hazard a guess that's what most Lewis/Merc fans felt :wave:

Haha sorry didn't notice you'd changed yours, not enough colours, here you go :up:

Naahh, I know positively surprised doesn't quite do justice to how I'm sure many Lewis fans felt, but it's a slippery road and for me personally the results of the test weren't much to get even a little estatic over since fuel loads, competitiveness, tyre management and Mercedes key weakness in season development remain big unknowns. I do take your point though so I'll add another mood to the swingometre.

#2823 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 3,301 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 15:58

I believe some of the more experienced and astute commentators, and I couldn't possibly name them for legal reasons, use an audio measurement system that records the sound and frequency shifts of the engine exhaust note; obvs, with down force, the car induces a pressure differential between the still air above it and the compressed, denser air around the body work that creates the down force. The greater the down force, the more marked is this effect. And, as any fule kno, sound travels at different speeds depending on air density & pressure and so by carefully measuring the frequency gradient of the engine noise as it traverses the bands of more, or less, dense air one can induce the amount of down force being generated by the car. Thus it is that these nameless commentators are able to present such precise figures. :up:

Ha!

I think they can use the frequency of the engine sound to monitor revs and thus begin to calculate the amount of fuel on board.

ie it may take red bull 1.7 seconds between 4th and 5th gear on a full tank of fuel and only 1.1 seconds on a half tank of fuel. Of course, ratios come in to it but on the whole they can fairly accurately measure how much fuel is on board. Never known anyone to be able to measure downforce as you're suggesting...actually, are you joking?? i'm sure you must be joking, I've had a liquid lunch so faculties not all they should be...

#2824 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,282 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 17:06

Ha!

I think they can use the frequency of the engine sound to monitor revs and thus begin to calculate the amount of fuel on board.

ie it may take red bull 1.7 seconds between 4th and 5th gear on a full tank of fuel and only 1.1 seconds on a half tank of fuel. Of course, ratios come in to it but on the whole they can fairly accurately measure how much fuel is on board. Never known anyone to be able to measure downforce as you're suggesting...actually, are you joking?? i'm sure you must be joking, I've had a liquid lunch so faculties not all they should be...

Ive heard that [on Forums] for Fuel but not for Downforce.

Edited by jjcale, 07 March 2013 - 17:08.

#2825 OoxLox

OoxLox

• 436 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 17:24

Well bless my socks. As Ian Dury once said, there 'aint 'alf been some clever b******s :p

#2826 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 795 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 17:41

For clarity I should add that I made that up and that my grasp of science is on par with Nigel Molesworth's

:cool:

#2827 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 17:46

Lol, it was good :lol:

#2828 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,282 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 17:53

For clarity I should add that I made that up and that my grasp of science is on par with Nigel Molesworth's

Yeah but when .... that idea(?) was being kicked around on forums a few years ago

#2829 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 795 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 18:15

Yeah but when .... that idea(?) was being kicked around on forums a few years ago

Really? It was quite spontaneous as a response to BernieEc! Admittedly, I plagiarised the 'engine horsepower by sound' thing but have never seen a debate on down force by sound.

Altho', since we're on it, you could probably do something similar with a laser as the refractive properties of air change with pressure and temperature... so you could lase the car at various points and, depending on how deflected the beam was compared to a still air reference, estimate the pressure and (since you could also obtain the car's speed) attempt to calculate down force...

#2830 amppatel

amppatel

• 465 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 18:25

Really? It was quite spontaneous as a response to BernieEc! Admittedly, I plagiarised the 'engine horsepower by sound' thing but have never seen a debate on down force by sound.

Altho', since we're on it, you could probably do something similar with a laser as the refractive properties of air change with pressure and temperature... so you could lase the car at various points and, depending on how deflected the beam was compared to a still air reference, estimate the pressure and (since you could also obtain the car's speed) attempt to calculate down force...

Nice try... :wave:

#2831 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,748 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 18:58

if there where apex speed traps, or a timing loop that is high speed corners mostly. think some tracks have 10? timing sections, but we only get to see 3 :\

#2832 Neomaster121

Neomaster121

• 73 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 19:09

Hi first post but been watching the forums closely during the winter testing

Just wanted ask from the characteristics of the Barcelona tract and i believe Mercedes being particularly strong in sectors 2 and 3, what tracts could their performance be translated too? Aka which tracts are we thinking will likely suit the Mercedes at this moment in time?

Also i just want to same i'm a lewis fan and i am truly happy to see that it's looking like he has a car that could at least hopefully compete so well done to Mercedes because i didn't think they would be too good this year tbh

#2833 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 8,599 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 19:29

Hi first post but been watching the forums closely during the winter testing

Welcome Neomaster. :wave:

#2834 cuatroxcuatro

cuatroxcuatro

• 10 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 19:30

Hi.

I was able to get a few photos of the 2013 cars while visiting the Barcelona track on the 4th and last winter test day before Melbourne.

This pic shows Nico wellying the W04 out of a turn, and putting a lot of g´s on the rear suspension and LH tyres. It was good to watch!

Posted Image

There are a few more from the day´s testing here.

Have a good 2013!

Cheers, DAO

Edited by cuatroxcuatro, 07 March 2013 - 19:31.

#2835 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 795 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 19:45

Nice try... :wave:

:cool:

:wave:

Edited by Lord Snooty, 07 March 2013 - 19:46.

#2836 molpid

molpid

• 221 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 20:56

Hi.

I was able to get a few photos of the 2013 cars while visiting the Barcelona track on the 4th and last winter test day before Melbourne.

This pic shows Nico wellying the W04 out of a turn, and putting a lot of g´s on the rear suspension and LH tyres. It was good to watch!

Posted Image

Have a good 2013!

Cheers, DAO

great pictures, thanks !

#2837 F1Gui

F1Gui

• 37 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 22:08

Hi.

Posted Image

Have a good 2013!

Cheers, DAO

The tyres look freaking huge from this angle compared to on tv.

#2838 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 22:14

I hope they change the nose in the future. It looks seriously ugly.

#2839 OoxLox

OoxLox

• 436 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 22:15

It does seem to be quite a "squishy" car doesn't it? I'm used to seeing Lewis driving an ironing board into a hard braking zone, so seeing him in a car that's got actual suspension is something new after the last few MP4's with their National Dentist Association-sponsored suspension.

EDIT: I have no idea if that's good or bad in performance terms, but it looks a lot easier to avoid spilling the drinks and fries in something like this car.

Edited by OoxLox, 07 March 2013 - 22:17.

Advertisement

#2840 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,689 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 22:17

It does seem to be quite a "squishy" car doesn't it? I'm used to seeing Lewis driving an ironing board into a hard braking zone, so seeing him in a car that's got actual suspension is something new after the last few MP4's with their National Dentist Association-sponsored suspension.

That suspension is seriously good

#2841 femi

femi

• 6,205 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 22:56

IIRC, it was something they were going to estimate the bhp of competitors cars, especially by the Japanese notably Honda - lol

#2842 Snic

Snic

• 565 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 23:00

National Dentist Association-sponsored suspension.

Are we talking about fillings rattling out of teeth :lol: ?

#2843 femi

femi

• 6,205 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 23:16

The tyres look freaking huge from this angle compared to on tv.

Nice shot. really nice photography ... well done. what were your camera settings please?

#2844 cuatroxcuatro

cuatroxcuatro

• 10 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 23:35

EDIT: I have no idea if that's good or bad in performance terms, but it looks a lot easier to avoid spilling the drinks and fries in something like this car.

Ha, great, I like that! :rotfl:

#2845 alframsey

alframsey

• 1,417 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 23:40

What is wrong with referring to the team you support this way? I refer to McLaren as 'we' and to Birmingham City Football Club as 'we', I have an emotional investment in these teams. My emotional investment is just big and real as any financial investment thank you very much :p

#2846 cuatroxcuatro

cuatroxcuatro

• 10 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 23:45

Nice shot. really nice photography ... well done. what were your camera settings please?

Thanks a lot! I'm using a Nikon D90 with a 70-300 mm VR Nikkor zoom which is usually at it's maximum 300mm. I take the easy option, and use the automatic ·sports· program which typically means, on a bright morning, 1/1600 sec @t f5.6, ISO400.
In flickr, you can see the camera settings (Exif) for any particular shot by checking out the Additional Info link.

:) Regards, Dave

#2847 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 23:51

What is wrong with referring to the team you support this way? I refer to McLaren as 'we' and to Birmingham City Football Club as 'we', I have an emotional investment in these teams. My emotional investment is just big and real as any financial investment thank you very much :p

*sigh* I didn't think he supported Merc, hence why asked "We ?" Now do you understand

#2848 femi

femi

• 6,205 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 23:54

Thanks a lot! I'm using a Nikon D90 with a 70-300 mm VR Nikkor zoom which is usually at it's maximum 300mm. I take the easy option, and use the automatic ·sports· program which typically means, on a bright morning, 1/1600 sec @t f5.6, ISO400.
In flickr, you can see the camera settings (Exif) for any particular shot by checking out the Additional Info link.

:) Regards, Dave

Thanks Dave....keep it up and thoroughly enjoy yourself while at it. i am thinking about going back to university - part time. - to play around with mathematics to keep the brain sharp. i might just take up photography as a hobby as well...

#2849 Rybo

Rybo

• 347 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:17

Only thing I am not sure is the reliability of the Merc's. RBR posted a 7.5% chance of retirement per GP including both cars, where Merc's chance was 25%... That has to change.

Edited by Rybo, 08 March 2013 - 04:19.

#2850 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:31

Only thing I am not sure is the reliability of the Merc's. RBR posted a 7.5% chance of retirement per GP including both cars, where Merc's chance was 25%... That has to change.

Yeah, but some of those are just accidents of Schumi being old and other were due to starting in the mid field. If they have gotten the car to work well and they're starting in the top 5-6 then there won't be so many first lap incidents.