Mercedes-AMG 2013 W04

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4001 replies to this topic

#2851 teejay

teejay

• 3,767 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:58

Hard to run into 16th place Senna when you are 1/2/3 etc etc

But Merc did have a spate of simple things go wrong - wheel nuts etc.

To be a champion you have to work on all aspects of performance.

Advertisement

#2852 Juggles

Juggles

• 898 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:07

Hi first post but been watching the forums closely during the winter testing

Just wanted ask from the characteristics of the Barcelona tract and i believe Mercedes being particularly strong in sectors 2 and 3, what tracts could their performance be translated too? Aka which tracts are we thinking will likely suit the Mercedes at this moment in time?

Also i just want to same i'm a lewis fan and i am truly happy to see that it's looking like he has a car that could at least hopefully compete so well done to Mercedes because i didn't think they would be too good this year tbh

I think the digestive one will see a particular step forward from Mercedes this year. Hamilton is known to be a very picky eater so he is bound to spur on the motorhome chefs to a hitherto unseen level.

Anyway, welcome! I think Monaco could potentially be Mercedes' strongest track based on their performance there last year, the fact it's quite early in the season and their supposedly excellent mechanical grip. Also, I don't think Hamilton has quite got the results there that his ability around the track would suggest he should have. That's probably the race I'm most looking forward to at this stage (no doubt something will go wrong).

Edited by Juggles, 08 March 2013 - 06:08.

#2853 kedia990

kedia990

• 369 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:18

I think the digestive one will see a particular step forward from Mercedes this year. Hamilton is known to be a very picky eater so he is bound to spur on the motorhome chefs to a hitherto unseen level.

Anyway, welcome! I think Monaco could potentially be Mercedes' strongest track based on their performance there last year, the fact it's quite early in the season and their supposedly excellent mechanical grip. Also, I don't think Hamilton has quite got the results there that his ability around the track would suggest he should have. That's probably the race I'm most looking forward to at this stage (no doubt something will go wrong).

:lol: Good one

Reg the tracks, methinks
+ Canada (Hamilton's turf anyway)
+ Abu Dhabi S3
+ Barcelona S3
+ Valencia would be damn good for Merc, except its alternating with Barcelona now
+ Monza
All this considering mechanical grip alone, which I think is W04's biggest strength.

#2854 femi

femi

• 6,483 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:45

Guys, I have been following W04 thread on F1technical. There are comments about sealing the exhaust gases flow to the diffuser. It seems there is an interchange between the use of these terms; exhaust gases and plume. I know what "plume" is in English. I am just wondering if they are actually the same in F1 terminology. It seems the better the sealing the better the DF and if so, why is it so damn difficult to achieve? seeing that the exhaust gases are escaping at high velocity...

Edited by femi, 08 March 2013 - 08:46.

#2855 malibu

malibu

• 204 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:15

One of the good indicators of the W04 speed may be its pace on wet. On those track conditions, fuel loads have less impact, tires are the same. Times set at the same moment comparing to other cars, the W04 was immediatly very quick, if not the quickest. This shows at least the car is well balanced and have a good mechanical grip.

Edited by malibu, 08 March 2013 - 09:17.

#2856 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,857 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:51

Guys, I have been following W04 thread on F1technical. There are comments about sealing the exhaust gases flow to the diffuser. It seems there is an interchange between the use of these terms; exhaust gases and plume. I know what "plume" is in English. I am just wondering if they are actually the same in F1 terminology. It seems the better the sealing the better the DF and if so, why is it so damn difficult to achieve? seeing that the exhaust gases are escaping at high velocity...

I was gonna write something - but Scrabs probably says it better...... and he's got schematics:

http://scarbsf1.com/...oanda-exhausts/

#2857 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:24

One of the good indicators of the W04 speed may be its pace on wet. On those track conditions, fuel loads have less impact, tires are the same. Times set at the same moment comparing to other cars, the W04 was immediatly very quick, if not the quickest. This shows at least the car is well balanced and have a good mechanical grip.

Or that it works its tyres the hardest, which would be a sign of the W03 woes surfacing.

Edited by slmk, 08 March 2013 - 11:56.

#2858 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,755 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:33

Or that it works its tyres the hardest, which would be a sign of the W03 foes surfacing.

that so totally does not make any sense

#2859 femi

femi

• 6,483 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:41

I was gonna write something - but Scrabs probably says it better...... and he's got schematics:

http://scarbsf1.com/...oanda-exhausts/

Thanks Maverick69, Scarbs post explained a lot! He makes it look easy to implement though :) and if I understood it correctly, the shape, the placement and the internal structure is the Key here. The way I see it, it shouldn't be too long before the all the teams reaches a rather similar DF levels which may mean that mechanical grip may become the differential determining factor between teams. Am I correct?

Advertisement

#2860 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,755 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:46

Thanks Maverick69, Scarbs post explained a lot! He makes it look easy to implement though :) and if I understood it correctly, the shape, the placement and the internal structure is the Key here. The way I see it, it shouldn't be too long before the all the teams reaches a rather similar DF levels which may mean that mechanical grip may become the differential determining factor between teams. Am I correct?

No

#2861 femi

femi

• 6,483 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:03

No

Thanks for the expansive response ;)
Anyone else that can provide a little more detailed response?

Edited by femi, 08 March 2013 - 11:05.

#2862 Masenco

Masenco

• 819 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:18

I believe there is much scope to develop the aero than there is for the mechanical grip.
Mclaren did find the need to change their front suspension as they felt finding larger gains with their already developed setup was going to be increasingly difficult- so you do have a point; but i cant see the teams reaching an aero performance wall anytime soon

#2863 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:29

I'd observe that the Caterham has a lot less downforce than the top teams, so it is still variable I reckon. Last year the Merc reportedly was frying its own rear tyres with the exhaust and nobody knew! I suppose it's very difficult to model the exhaust in a windtunnel, but anyway I suspect Bigois' leaving might have been for that kind of cockup.

I'm wondering if in the pursuit of downforce the Merc might start to look more stiffly sprung as time goes on, like the Mac. I have the idea that absolute maximum d/f is a compromise with its consistency, and that a stiff chassis helps to reduce that tradeoff. Also Lewis likes a really, really reactive front end.

#2864 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,307 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:48

I'd observe that the Caterham has a lot less downforce than the top teams, so it is still variable I reckon. Last year the Merc reportedly was frying its own rear tyres with the exhaust and nobody knew! I suppose it's very difficult to model the exhaust in a windtunnel, but anyway I suspect Bigois' leaving might have been for that kind of cockup.

I'm wondering if in the pursuit of downforce the Merc might start to look more stiffly sprung as time goes on, like the Mac. I have the idea that absolute maximum d/f is a compromise with its consistency, and that a stiff chassis helps to reduce that tradeoff. Also Lewis likes a really, really reactive front end.

I am expecting this also ... the compliant chasis does not impress me as much as more downforce would at this stage ... hopefully it is not a tradeoff that will have to be made.

#2865 Masenco

Masenco

• 819 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:54

My understanding is that McLaren had to have a stiffly sprung car inorder to make the aero work due to their aero philosophy- I don't believe it's something that will work or is required on all cars.
The rbr wasn't very stiffly sprung so I don't see any reason why merc would choose to go down that road- it's a real positive that their car seems so fast and has such a soft suspension.

#2866 moorsey

moorsey

• 649 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:57

I am expecting this also ... the compliant chasis does not impress me as much as more downforce would at this stage ... hopefully it is not a tradeoff that will have to be made.

On the other hand, the fully "down-force-loaded" compliant chassis would be closer to the ground and this, in turn, could result in a greater "ground effect"?

#2867 okochajj

okochajj

• 14 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:02

No

Thanks Smarta**

#2868 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:19

http://www.auto-moto...rk-6742689.html

Best Sector Times @ Barcelona.

Mercedes quickest in Sector 2 and 3 (Alonso slightly quicker than both ROS and HAM, but overall Mercedes is the quickest team). Surprisingly slow in Sector 1, but that might be due to gearing or that they weren't pushing through T3.

Edited by slmk, 08 March 2013 - 12:19.

#2869 muramasa

muramasa

• 3,270 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:19

My understanding is that McLaren had to have a stiffly sprung car inorder to make the aero work due to their aero philosophy- I don't believe it's something that will work or is required on all cars.
The rbr wasn't very stiffly sprung so I don't see any reason why merc would choose to go down that road- it's a real positive that their car seems so fast and has such a soft suspension.

yea cars like mclaren and sauber had v stiff suspension and that had been considered as their major weakness over the past few years esp 10 and 11. When the car has to be set up stiff it's because the aero has smaller window of operation. Mechanically the softer the better (in general. F1 car is extremely stiff anyway so realistically cannot be made too soft, i believe).

#2870 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,857 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:20

The main reason why the Mac has been recently so stiffly sprung is because of the premium they seem to place on generating downforce from the underfloor. Theoretically this is the most efficient and powerful way to create downforce. This also means that the car is naturally very sensitive to ride height changes and the phenomenon of porpoising.

Edited by maverick69, 08 March 2013 - 12:21.

#2871 femi

femi

• 6,483 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:22

@Undersquare and JJcale, thx for the responses... :up:

#2872 Masenco

Masenco

• 819 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:28

The main reason why the Mac has been recently so stiffly sprung is because of the premium they seem to place on generating downforce from the underfloor. Theoretically this is the most efficient and powerful way to create downforce. This also means that the car is naturally very sensitive to ride height changes and the phenomenon of porpoising.

You seem to make sense, but one would then assume that last year Mclaren would be the first team to have a high nose so as to get as much air underneath the car as possible; but they started the season with a pretty lose nose and were adamant that they were right.

Also, I'm not sure about this, but isn't the point of generating downforce from the underfloor that you get as little air under the car as possible inorder to create low pressure underneath the car and suck the car to the track? Or is this something else?

#2873 femi

femi

• 6,483 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:37

With regards to RBR, they way the exhaust gases are used to feed the diffuser and hence generate DF is a bit different from Mclaren. Please the link to Scarbs article posted by Maverick69 a few posts back. From a layman's perspective, being stiff will lose the car time over Kerbs and uneven track surfaces and there are quite a number of them in F1. Personally, I do not see any advantage of having a stiff car if it can be avoided.

But then like I said, I am a layman in these matters.

#2874 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,755 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:45

Ok. Your post is not unlike Snooty's, though for all the different reasons. What do you mean by 'shape, 'internal structure' and 'placement'? If it would be easy, as undersquare has kindly pointed out, Caterham would be up there. The exhaust solution is responsible for a smaller part of overall DF, though obviously important, but it cannot be spoken of individually. It is definitely not a 'bolt-on' solution to increase DF(see the W03 last season). It is integrated into a design, carefully considering, designing and fine-tuning every area of the car, from the tip of the nose to the rear wheels, all working towards a well-balanced overall DF level (Since it is the last season for the current regs, "too long" has no meaning anymore in the context you mentioned it). Even that though, is not all that makes a car function at a given level. You imply that mech traction could make the difference between two cars with a similar DF level. Again, superb mechanical traction is not a silver bullet in itself, I do believe it could be counteractive, if not in harmony with any given car's aero, but yes, it could add a lot. 'Traction' and 'mech traction' are not the same things either. While 'mech traction' I think is related mostly to the suspension itself, 'traction' of a car is the overall effect of all the above spoken factors, plus some. The majority of the teams have decent mech traction too, the differences are not that big, IMHO. Saying all that, this year's pirellis are so far a mystery for every team, it seems. On the long run, it will all come down to who could exploit them more on a given stint in race trim, which, as usual gives a special importance to one-lap speed too. Being efficient with the tyres, considering the above, is not going to be down to a great suspension only. Anyone with engineering knowledge, do feel free to correct me if I am wrong though. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Szoelloe, 08 March 2013 - 12:48.

#2875 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,654 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:45

Mercedes quickest in Sector 2 and 3 (Alonso slightly quicker than both ROS and HAM, but overall Mercedes is the quickest team). Surprisingly slow in Sector 1, but that might be due to gearing or that they weren't pushing through T3.

If Alonso went quicker than both Rosberg and Hamilton in Sector 3, I'm not sure you can say Mercedes is quicker there, can you? How does that work? :well:

#2876 femi

femi

• 6,483 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:47

You seem to make sense, but one would then assume that last year Mclaren would be the first team to have a high nose so as to get as much air underneath the car as possible; but they started the season with a pretty lose nose and were adamant that they were right.

Also, I'm not sure about this, but isn't the point of generating downforce from the underfloor that you get as little air under the car as possible inorder to create low pressure underneath the car and suck the car to the track? Or is this something else?

I think this is correct if the diffuser is capable of "sucking" good proportion of the air from underfloor. no?

#2877 femi

femi

• 6,483 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:50

I read somewhere that Alonso was faster than the Merc in Sectors 1 & 3 but the Merc was about 0.4sec faster in the 2nd sector. In that same article, it is expected that Ferrari upgrades (which were not brought on the car during the last test) would aim to tackle this. But I expect Merc to attack their own deficiencies as well.

Melbourne will reveal all :)

#2878 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:54

In a weeks time we will be slightly wiser to this cars chances.

#2879 windtravels

windtravels

• 901 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:58

I read somewhere that Alonso was faster than the Merc in Sectors 1 & 3 but the Merc was about 0.4sec faster in the 2nd sector. In that same article, it is expected that Ferrari upgrades (which were not brought on the car during the last test) would aim to tackle this. But I expect Merc to attack their own deficiencies as well.

Melbourne will reveal all :)

What can we deduce about the cars relative strengths and weaknesses?

Seems we are either lacking or not pushing in T3 - could indicate a lack of df. although other medium/fast corners the car must be performing pretty well. clearly very good in the slower twisty stuff - good mech grip & traction...

agree/disagree?

Advertisement

#2880 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,654 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 13:06

Seems we are either lacking or not pushing in T3 - could indicate a lack of df. although other medium/fast corners the car must be performing pretty well. clearly very good in the slower twisty stuff - good mech grip & traction...

agree/disagree?

There's more to S1 than Turn 3. Speed down the front straight can gain you time in S1, too. Mercedes might have been just as or nearly as quick through T3 but dont carry as much speed from the start/finish line to the braking zone.

This is of course all assuming equal fuel loads. If the Ferrari was running heavier, it would explain the deficiency in S2, for instance.

Its hard to say much without a bit more data to confirm patterns.

Edited by Seanspeed, 08 March 2013 - 13:07.

#2881 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,755 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 13:11

agree/disagree?

Barcelona is still considered to be a track where performance is indicative. I think even LH has said something along those lines. That is the only thing I can lean on, really. Comparing sector times - comparing times at all - could be pretty misleading. The more I look at them, and the more I think about it, the more confused I get. The W04 performed well, IMHO. I tend to agree.

#2882 Kaosoner

Kaosoner

• 20 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 13:30

According To Bob Bell, this year should be a real step forward for Mercedes since they are pretty confident the W04 got strong baseline. Car is behaving as expected which makes them more confident for upgrades to come nexgen-auto bob bell interview sorry but can't find it in English

#2883 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,755 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 13:32

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/105894

I was hoping to start hearing form the likes of Bell, and Costa. I think it is important for them to personally start to live up to roles they have taken, and give statements that they can be held up to. So there you are. Drivers opinions are important. But the tech heads have to speak too.

Edited by Szoelloe, 08 March 2013 - 13:33.

#2884 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 13:41

If Alonso went quicker than both Rosberg and Hamilton in Sector 3, I'm not sure you can say Mercedes is quicker there, can you? How does that work? :well:

I meant Alonso went quicker in S3.

Edited by slmk, 08 March 2013 - 13:42.

#2885 Kaosoner

Kaosoner

• 20 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 13:55

here are some pics from the last testing session

http://www.formule1....62311777.14.jpg
http://www.formule1....62320823.28.jpg
http://www.formule1....62320823.69.jpg
http://www.formule1....62320825.32.jpg
http://www.formule1....62330861.39.jpg
http://www.formule1....362330863.1.jpg
http://www.formule1....62330863.73.jpg
http://www.formule1....62387087.62.jpg
http://www.formule1....62387092.31.jpg
http://www.formule1....62387092.57.jpg
http://www.formule1....62320822.84.jpg
http://www.formule1....62312406.21.jpg

#2886 Neomaster121

Neomaster121

• 81 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 15:31

According To Bob Bell, this year should be a real step forward for Mercedes since they are pretty confident the W04 got strong baseline. Car is behaving as expected which makes them more confident for upgrades to come nexgen-auto bob bell interview sorry but can't find it in English

Sounds like good news

Just hope there are close enough at the start of the season, it be a shame if they spent most of the first half of the season just developing to equal others (if they have to manage a massive deficit).

#2887 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 5,359 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 16:10

I thought the Bob Bell interview was very interesting.

"We aren't taking anything for granted".....
Could he possibly mean the insane performance advantage that Merc has over the field :stoned: :stoned:

#2888 okochajj

okochajj

• 14 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 16:15

here are some pics from the last testing session

http://www.formule1....62311777.14.jpg
http://www.formule1....62320823.28.jpg
http://www.formule1....62320823.69.jpg
http://www.formule1....62320825.32.jpg
http://www.formule1....62330861.39.jpg
http://www.formule1....362330863.1.jpg
http://www.formule1....62330863.73.jpg
http://www.formule1....62387087.62.jpg
http://www.formule1....62387092.31.jpg
http://www.formule1....62387092.57.jpg
http://www.formule1....62320822.84.jpg
http://www.formule1....62312406.21.jpg

how do u get to browse all this pictures with high res , all i get when i go to formule1.nl is a a few pics without high res

#2889 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 16:22

how do u get to browse all this pictures with high res , all i get when i go to formule1.nl is a a few pics without high res

Right click and "open in new tab" usually works for me.

#2890 NoDivergence

NoDivergence

• 1,862 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 16:29

I thought the Bob Bell interview was very interesting.

"We aren't taking anything for granted".....
Could he possibly mean the insane performance advantage that Merc has over the field :stoned: :stoned:

I agree that the Mercedes has a very good start, and I'm rooting for them because I'm a huge fan, but it's a HUGE stretch to say they have a performance advantage over a team like Redbull, not to mention Ferrari and possibly Lotus or McLaren (if they sort out the setup by Melbourne).

Let's be a bit cautious here, because there still is a lot of smoke and mirrors and mind games that the other teams are fooling around with

#2891 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 5,359 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 16:32

I agree that the Mercedes has a very good start, and I'm rooting for them because I'm a huge fan, but it's a HUGE stretch to say they have a performance advantage over a team like Redbull, not to mention Ferrari and possibly Lotus or McLaren (if they sort out the setup by Melbourne).

Let's be a bit cautious here, because there still is a lot of smoke and mirrors and mind games that the other teams are fooling around with

There was a slight hint of hyperbole and sarcasm, my friend! :) I find it interesting that Mac and Ferrari are being very cautious about their chances in Oz but Mercedes seem quietly confident... Someone will fall flat on their face in Oz and I'm sure it won't be Mercedes

#2892 okochajj

okochajj

• 14 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 16:36

Right click and "open in new tab" usually works for me.

but for example some of the pictures that he posted dont appear in photos-->3 march barcelona test

#2893 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,755 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 16:37

There was a slight hint of hyperbole and sarcasm, my friend! :) I find it interesting that Mac and Ferrari are being very cautious about their chances in Oz but Mercedes seem quietly confident... Someone will fall flat on their face in Oz and I'm sure it won't be Mercedes

Have we read the same article?

#2894 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,942 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 16:38

So far all Mercedes have been saying is that they have improved. Remember they were quite some way back. They have not said anything about being one of the fastest. It's journalists and fans who've made that conclusion. Ferrari actually do sound quite optimistic. Domenicalli is speaking of a podium finish in Melbourne.

Edited by Timstr11, 08 March 2013 - 16:39.

#2895 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 17:04

Is this the same Mac that employs Sergio Perez? He's been proudly stating that he'll win the WDC to anyone that will listen.

#2896 trogggy

trogggy

• 7,672 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 17:10

Is this the same Mac that employs Sergio Perez? He's been proudly stating that he'll win the WDC to anyone that will listen.

Bollocks.
Link please.
Edit: The Mac thread might be a better place for it. Not that there is one.

Edited by trogggy, 08 March 2013 - 17:11.

#2897 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 17:13

Bollocks.
Link please.

www.google.com

#2898 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,654 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 17:44

www.google.com

All I got was a white page with a search box and some small little graphics.

#2899 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,755 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 18:00

oh, come on, let's skip the google sxxt, its an age-old Perez comment, from December. Nothing to do with testing, and certainly nothing new.

‘My target is to win the championship already next year,’ Perez said. ‘That takes a lot of work during the season, so it's very important to start my preparation really well with them and try to reach their targets.’

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2MyKSS100

It may have been an article on the Autosport site too, but I couldn't care less, really, and is seriously OT here?

Advertisement

#2900 trogggy

trogggy

• 7,672 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 18:11

‘My target is to win the championship already next year,’ Perez said.

You'd* have to be fairly hard of understanding to equate that quote with what BigChrome claimed.

*You ≠ Szoelloe.