* * * - - 24 votes

Mercedes-AMG 2013 W04

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4001 replies to this topic

#3451 Smitla321

Smitla321

• 337 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:59

But to be honest I see a front row lock out if it rains. The Mech grip on this car seems to be better than the bulls......

Advertisement

#3452 Masenco

Masenco

• 819 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 13:06

But to be honest I see a front row lock out if it rains. The Mech grip on this car seems to be better than the bulls......

According to Marting Brundle, the rbr looked the best going through final couple of corners, but he did say the merc was also up there.
Fuel might have also had an effect.

#3453 Coral

Coral

• 2,809 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 13:06

Coral, be honest, how many back flips with a triple twist have you done today?

:stoned: :stoned: :stoned:

I'm so over the moon at Merc's performance thus far, I am sitting here at my work with a massive smile on my face! I'm worried about possible Red Bull domination but I know Lewis will give it his best shot. The race can't come soon enough for me! :)

#3454 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,407 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 13:08

According to Marting Brundle, the rbr looked the best going through final couple of corners, but he did say the merc was also up there.
Fuel might have also had an effect.

He also said the toro rosso looked leagues ahead of the Marussia despite at the time being only a few tenths ahead of Bianchi.

Though, obviously the RBR is clearly on another level right now and the Merc is decent,.

#3455 jav

jav

• 197 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 13:22

Ah.... the hope and optomism of new fans on a good friday. While this year MAY be the exception, Merc fans are used to be raised up on friday only to experience a fall from greatet height on Sunday.

Nice to see optomism but I, for one, have been burned enough to fly low.

#3456 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,094 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 13:32

#3457 femi

femi

• 6,346 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 13:37

thx Mark, that was nice :)

#3458 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,094 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 13:41

And another

#3459 Bartonz20let

Bartonz20let

• 835 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 13:51

And another

Reminds me of last years McLaren without the stiffness.

Bein a LH fan, seeing the understeer from the new McLaren on the Perez on boards I'm feeling a little smug at this moment. LH beating JB in the merc 'dog' would make some interesting reading on here although I'll save the full smugness for when and if it actually materialises.

If it doesn't ill delete this post ;)

Edited by Bartonz20let, 15 March 2013 - 13:52.

Advertisement

#3460 Neomaster121

Neomaster121

• 79 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 13:57

Reminds me of last years McLaren without the stiffness.

Bein a LH fan, seeing the understeer from the new McLaren on the Perez on boards I'm feeling a little smug at this moment. LH beating JB in the merc 'dog' would make some interesting reading on here although I'll save the full smugness for when and if it actually materialises.

If it doesn't ill delete this post ;)

It will and i agree with ya

Find it more ironic that this is jb old team
seems like Ham made the best decision and i will be honest i thought this was gonna be a bad move for 2013 at least. I did not think mclaren were going to take the revolutionary approach with 1 season left of the current rules and thought ham should have done a 1 year deal but glad he's moved, he's looking happier and seems like merc have given him a car he can drive

#3461 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,407 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 14:04

Such a shame we don't get GPS and speed data. For anyone interested lewis apexed T11 at 223kph, Vettel 220kph on those vids. Totally pointless data because we don't have the entire session data. Last year Lewis apexed that corner at 247kph in quali trim.

#3462 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,094 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 14:09

Such a shame we don't get GPS and speed data. For anyone interested lewis apexed T11 at 223kph, Vettel 220kph on those vids. Totally pointless data because we don't have the entire session data. Last year Lewis apexed that corner at 247kph in quali trim.

I saw Vettel do a 240-something today from the onboard on what I'm 97% sure was his fastest SS run.

#3463 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 14:10

I think Redbull will be untouchable but I think we was fuelled heavier, most of our run s lasted longer, its not much, but a bit of hope.

#3464 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,094 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 14:12

I think Redbull will be untouchable but I think we was fuelled heavier, most of our run s lasted longer, its not much, but a bit of hope.

I don't. Think there'll be a couple of tenths in it in Q3.

#3465 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,094 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 14:18

No monkey seat for Merc today then. Wonder if it will reappear for quali?

#3466 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 14:21

"Top 3" in Red Bull, Ferrari and Mercedes didn't run Monkey seats.

#3467 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,294 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 14:22

This ...

#3468 KiloWatt

KiloWatt

• 1,206 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 14:24

Feeling quite happy at the mo. Realistically, this was the absolute max we could have hoped for and they delivered. Nice feeling this.

Some of you probably visited the McLaren thread. I may be the only one, but I'm feeling a bit bad for them, we all know too well what that feels like. Id much rather be racing them than Eric Boulliers' fag packets, which unfortunately seems to be a very good car again.

Edited by KiloWatt, 15 March 2013 - 14:25.

#3469 Masenco

Masenco

• 819 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 14:28

Feeling quite happy at the mo. Realistically, this was the absolute max we could have hoped for and they delivered. Nice feeling this.

Some of you probably visited the McLaren thread. I may be the only one, but I'm feeling a bit bad for them, we all know too well what that feels like. Id much rather be racing them than Eric Boulliers' fag packets, which unfortunately seems to be a very good car again.

1) Absolutely! Mercedes have done a superb job, really happy with where we are.

2) Too scared to! :stoned:

#3470 Wingnut

Wingnut

• 714 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 14:36

Very smooth driving, not many corrections mid corner, very impressed so far - good work Mercedes

#3471 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,781 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 14:47

As Rosberg told now that the team has not shown anything. "We knew that a lot of teams have not shown what they can do -. And we do not even today we have not shown all that we can," said Rosberg. The German drove in 2nd Training in third place and had only Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber to defer them.

Rosberg made no secret of its ambitions of the Silver Arrows in the fourth year after the F1 return as a factory team. "We want to be absolutely the best," he clarified. "We are not yet, but it goes in the right direction." With its W04 he had evidently great pleasure in Albert Park: "It was cool, it's fun to drive, the balance is good, even for attacking the car is very good..." In between, the car was also, as Rosberg rolled out towards the end of the afternoon session, ending the day had prematurely.

"The gearbox broke down," said Rosberg. "The operation was a mistake for us not a mechanical problem. Reliability true." The tendency of the team that started 2012 strong and then faded badly, be positive. Of the gearbox problem aside, Rosberg had to complain no other problems. "We are closer to the music," said Rosberg. "As far as it goes up, I do not know. We have a very good car, but it is important that we continue to push for the development."

A few Rosberg quotes translated from german site http://www.motorspor...her-fehler.html

Good to hear the gearbox problem was minor. Not mechanical.

The car seems great to drive. The onboards confirm it.

#3472 aray

aray

• 2,710 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 14:49

if Merc can handle the tyre,then i think only Lewis will be the real challenge to RB this race..

#3473 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 14:55

wow that hate. Amazing.

#3474 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 14:57

if Merc can handle the tyre,then i think only Lewis will be the real challenge to RB this race..

I wish I could agree with you but I think the ferrari's are also close, even though I think the merc has got a few dollars extra in its back pocket

#3475 KiloWatt

KiloWatt

• 1,206 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 14:59

wow that hate. Amazing.

Oh you have no idea...

#3476 femi

femi

• 6,346 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 15:03

And another

Contrasting style, LH looked easy while JB looked very busy, like he was sitting on the edges of that Mac seat. Maybe he was on it and LH wasn't. Won't surprise me one bit if the Mercs laps the Macs on Sunday.

#3477 femi

femi

• 6,346 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 15:23

I don't. Think there'll be a couple of tenths in it in Q3.

I am fairly confident of at least a Merc on the 2nd row. I think LH might still have a shot at pole. That is the first time I am saying that, assuming the weather does not turn it into a lottery. Looking at the tyres and listening to the comments Ross and NR made about them, I also believe Merc will be competitive on race pace as well. I know about comments about the long runs but I believe the Mercs were heavier. When LH put on the SS, Anthony D. said the car looked heavy even though LH topped Vettel in the S1 before running wide. LH then proceeded to do his long runs before going off and stopping.

I have never heard LH sounded so excited about the car until after FP2. He is raring to go just as NR is...

#3478 Mclaren4ever

Mclaren4ever

• 341 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 15:23

it seems lewis was right with his decision to change the team.
to me it looks like Mercedes have quite a rocket this year and Lewis can fight for the title right till the end :eek:

#3479 MP422

MP422

• 1,940 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 15:24

Hamilton and Rosberg look quick !! Super happy and glad i wasn't posting nonsense when i said they had all the ingredients now to compete at the front.

Advertisement

#3480 teejay

teejay

• 3,712 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 15:25

Wouldnt be the first time Lewis has lapped Jenson :)

#3481 Bartonz20let

Bartonz20let

• 835 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 15:27

to me it looks like Mercedes have quite a rocket this year and Lewis can fight for the title right till the end :eek:

Looks like he has the tools to be as close as any of the others in the chasing pack and if development and pit work are good I could see LH as a close contender (ala FA 2012) but still I think the RBR looks on another planet, don't want to dampen the mood but do we really think that red bull have laid all their cards down yet? I don't

Edited by Bartonz20let, 15 March 2013 - 15:28.

#3482 femi

femi

• 6,346 posts

The funny thing was LH decision was more to do with the desire to get out of Mclaren. He was looking forward to do some real hard grind at Merc as he pushes them forward. The speed of the Merc is just a bonus.

#3483 Spoch

Spoch

• 222 posts

I wish I icould agree with you but I think the ferrari's are also close, even though I think the merc has got a few dollars extra in its back pocket

I have been looking at LH's body language from the turn of the year up to the point that he declared that we are compititive. Coupled with NR's assertion that they are still holding back. I want to make a bold call and say that there will be at least one merc on the front row. I wouldn't av been too excited if it was only NR but LH knows what a race winning car feels like so I will say merc for P1 or P2. Alonso and ferrari are still talking out of the side of their mouths. Qualy is one thing, the race is another. The race is what I am really nervous about

#3484 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 15:28

As long as the car stays at the sharp end for once, no point doing well for 4-5 races.

#3485 femi

femi

• 6,346 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 15:30

Looks like he has the tools to be as close as any of the others in the chasing pack and if development and pit work are good I could see LH as a close contender (ala FA 2012) but still I think the RBR looks on another planet, don't want to dampen the mood but do we really think that red bull have laid all their cards down yet? I don't

I don't think all but significant some. The fact that they came off the block flying is an indication to me that they were a bit anxious. I remember the worried looks on CH face when NR set that quick time at Barca

#3486 Bartonz20let

Bartonz20let

• 835 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 15:32

I don't think all but significant some. The fact that they came off the block flying is an indication to me that they were a bit anxious. I remember the worried looks on CH face when NR set that quick time at Barca

I'm not a player but I know a poker face when I see one.

Edit; can we go back to expecting p15, I don't think I'll be able to console myself early Sunday morning if it all goes belly up lol

Edited by Bartonz20let, 15 March 2013 - 15:33.

#3487 Tauhid

Tauhid

• 231 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 15:33

Mercedes have finally built a good car. Reliability won't be much of a concern, you can afford to have your car break down at such early times rather than at the peak end like the MP4-27. Car looked real smooth and looks like it got the most TV coverage as well (Hint: HAMILTON). Lewis will put it on P2 tomorrow, albeit half a second behind, because the Bull in the hands of Vettel looks sublime!

#3488 femi

femi

• 6,346 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 15:33

I have been looking at LH's body language from the turn of the year up to the point that he declared that we are compititive. Coupled with NR's assertion that they are still holding back. I want to make a bold call and say that there will be at least one merc on the front row. I wouldn't av been too excited if it was only NR but LH knows what a race winning car feels like so I will say merc for P1 or P2. Alonso and ferrari are still talking out of the side of their mouths. Qualy is one thing, the race is another. The race is what I am really nervous about

I couldn't have put it better, only that I am less nervous about the race pace than I was. These guys won't sound so excited if they felt the race pace is going to set them back.

#3489 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,094 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 15:35

Edit; can we go back to expecting p15, I don't think I'll be able to console myself early Sunday morning if it all goes belly up lol

Yes. Q3 is the target lads!

#3490 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 2,931 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 15:38

Mercedes have finally built a good car. Reliability won't be much of a concern, you can afford to have your car break down at such early times rather than at the peak end like the MP4-27. Car looked real smooth and looks like it got the most TV coverage as well (Hint: HAMILTON). Lewis will put it on P2 tomorrow, albeit half a second behind, because the Bull in the hands of Vettel looks sublime!

First he has to beat Webber and Rosberg. Sorry p2 is very unlikely. cars seems to have one lap pace but long pace is still a concern can't see mercedes near the podium this weekend unless it rains

#3491 femi

femi

• 6,346 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 15:40

Suit yourself ;)
Seriously, I have seen CH look unhappy during races before and I know that look when I see it. Remember what Vettel said after testing? He said when he finally looked at the cars, he singled out the Merc as most impressive. I think he said they were dangerous(?)

#3492 Tauhid

Tauhid

• 231 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 15:40

First he has to beat Webber and Rosberg. Sorry p2 is very unlikely. cars seems to have one lap pace but long pace is still a concern can't see mercedes near the podium this weekend unless it rains

he's looked and been faster than both Webber and Rosberg in the majority part of the practice, I think he'll have them covered but that's obviously just my opinion. If you saw both practice sessions completely, you'll know that Hamilton was literally much faster, just behind Vettel, a couple of mistakes on the track stopped him from showing off true pace.

#3493 skid solo

skid solo

• 2,208 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 15:46

Very smooth driving, not many corrections mid corner, very impressed so far - good work Mercedes

Compared to the onboard of McLaren it looks really planted. :)

#3494 Bartonz20let

Bartonz20let

• 835 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 15:55

Suit yourself ;)
Seriously, I have seen CH look unhappy during races before and I know that look when I see it. Remember what Vettel said after testing? He said when he finally looked at the cars, he singled out the Merc as most impressive. I think he said they were dangerous(?)

True and I'm sure if one of the Merc drivers are in the hunt after 10 races Merc HO will have no qualms about chucking a big wad of cash at the development of this car, certainly making them potentially dangerous.

Slippery one that Horner mind....

#3495 ZooL

ZooL

• 2,063 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 16:05

P15 or P2, still a loser in my eyes so why not.

If the RBR is that good, season is still a write off because Hamilton can't genuinely challenge for WDC, it will be out of his hands.

#3496 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,398 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 16:07

Contrasting style, LH looked easy while JB looked very busy, like he was sitting on the edges of that Mac seat. Maybe he was on it and LH wasn't. Won't surprise me one bit if the Mercs laps the Macs on Sunday.

I think Hamilton was coasting in that video..

#3497 Wingnut

Wingnut

• 714 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 16:07

Compared to the onboard of McLaren it looks really planted. :)

I can't seem to find much footage of the McLaren, do you have a link?

#3498 Bartonz20let

Bartonz20let

• 835 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 16:13

I can't seem to find much footage of the McLaren, do you have a link?

From the McLaren thread

Spectacular Understeer for Mclaren:

Notisible difference particularly in the tight left into right, can't remember what turn no

#3499 Wingnut

Wingnut

• 714 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 16:15

Notisible difference particularly in the tight left into right, can't remember what turn no

Thanks, that looks like a handful. Pity there's not one of Button so we can compare from last year.

Advertisement

#3500 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 3,595 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 16:22

I'm not sure anyone expects them to beat ed bull in qualifying but everyone is just please to see them higher than expected. There may be a chance to sneak a podium.