* * * - - 24 votes

Mercedes-AMG 2013 W04

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4001 replies to this topic

#3501 Smitla321

Smitla321

• 330 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 16:26

I think Hamilton was coasting in that video..

First half of this vid is a flying lap. Amazing how little work he has to do in the final turn.

Advertisement

#3502 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 1,613 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 16:28

As long as the car stays at the sharp end for once, no point doing well for 4-5 races.

Agreed. It's no good being like Merc or Williams last year (sometimes very quick, other times quick, other times slower than a trampled on worm). Need to be consistently quick and keep up development.

#3503 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 2,982 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 16:31

First half of this vid is a flying lap. Amazing how little work he has to do in the final turn.

Not pushing at all, no drs, not close to the walls. Be interested to know what time he set x

#3504 Smitla321

Smitla321

• 330 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 16:34

Not pushing at all, no drs, not close to the walls. Be interested to know what time he set x

Full use of DRS is banned and this vid starts after the two designated zones.......

Edited by Smitla321, 15 March 2013 - 16:36.

#3505 mlsnoopy

mlsnoopy

• 2,356 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 16:48

I'm not sure anyone expects them to beat ed bull in qualifying but everyone is just please to see them higher than expected. There may be a chance to sneak a podium.

Wait until Hamilton uses the TDG mod.

#3506 Masenco

Masenco

• 807 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 16:50

Full use of DRS is banned and this vid starts after the two designated zones.......

Still, the lap looks very relaxed

#3507 argiriano

argiriano

• 862 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 16:51

I am fairly confident of at least a Merc on the 2nd row. I think LH might still have a shot at pole. That is the first time I am saying that, assuming the weather does not turn it into a lottery. Looking at the tyres and listening to the comments Ross and NR made about them, I also believe Merc will be competitive on race pace as well. I know about comments about the long runs but I believe the Mercs were heavier. When LH put on the SS, Anthony D. said the car looked heavy even though LH topped Vettel in the S1 before running wide. LH then proceeded to do his long runs before going off and stopping.

I have never heard LH sounded so excited about the car until after FP2. He is raring to go just as NR is...

Dream on!
Hamilton was less than a tenth faster than Vettels S1 at his third lap with supersofts which didn`t last more than one lap at its best. Vettels first attempt was 3 tenths faster in S1 alone, and if he finished that first fast lap it should be a low 1:25 or even high 1:24. I think RBR/Vettel are going to be unstopable this weekend. Behind them Ferrari, Mercedes and Lotus will fight fiercly. I also think Mercedes have pace to eventually beat them in Q but come the race day Lotus and Ferrari look better prapared... at least for now.

We`ll see.

Edited by argiriano, 15 March 2013 - 16:58.

#3508 dans79

dans79

• 279 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 16:51

Much smoother than when Vettel went P1 in FP2, he was really slashing at the wheel in a lot of turns.

#3509 Markn93

Markn93

• 3,489 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 16:52

Still, the lap looks very relaxed

Yep, comparing that onboard with Vettel's he takes less curb into T11 and out of it as well. Shows he's not pushing that hard.

#3510 study

study

• 2,066 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 16:54

Dream on!
Hamilton was less than a tenth faster than Vettels third lap with supersofts which didn`t last more than one lap at its best. Vettels first attempt was 3 tenths faster in S1 alone, and if he finished that first fast lap it should be a low 1:25 or even high 1:24. I think RBR/Vettel are going to be unstopable this weekend. Behind them Ferrari, Mercedes and Lotus will fight fiercly. I also think Mercedes have pace to eventually beat them in Q but come the race day Lotus and Ferrari look better prapared... at least for now.

We`ll see.

Lewis didn't really have a supersofts run.

#3511 Bartonz20let

Bartonz20let

• 578 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 17:00

Still can't believe we're talking about pole and or podium, doesn't seem real.

#3512 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 2,982 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 17:06

Yep, comparing that onboard with Vettel's he takes less curb into T11 and out of it as well. Shows he's not pushing that hard.

And he was on mediums, it's easy to look smooth when you're going slow.

#3513 argiriano

argiriano

• 862 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 17:07

Lewis didn't really have a supersofts run.

Anyway we are talking about S1 where Lewis did 28,6 and Vettel best was 28,4 but because he didn`t finish the lap and did two more laps on this set of supersofts posting fastest lap of 1:25,9 on his third lap with S1 time of 28,8. That's why Hamilton looked faster but he wasn`t.

#3514 study

study

• 2,066 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 17:11

Anyway we are talking about S1 where Lewis did 28,6 and Vettel best was 28,4 but because he didn`t finish the lap and did two more laps on this set of supersofts posting fastest lap of 1:25,9 on his third lap with S1 time of 28,8. That's why Hamilton looked faster but he wasn`t.

:yawnface:

#3515 Masenco

Masenco

• 807 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 17:13

I havent been paying special attention to the timings, but my impression has been that the merc watch pretty much matching the rbr in s2 and s3? Therefore if lewis was only 2 tenths off in s1 doesnt that bode well for the rest of the lap?

#3516 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,159 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 17:15

Everyone were losing time to Red Bull in S3.

#3517 SR388

SR388

• 2,977 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 17:22

Very excited for all this. Car looks competent.

#3518 study

study

• 2,066 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 17:22

I actually saw in practice on Lewis proper aborted 1st run on SS he was actually up on vettel in S1 but according to argiriano he was down on time

#3519 Markn93

Markn93

• 3,489 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 17:25

I actually saw in practice on Lewis proper aborted 1st run on SS he was actually up on vettel in S1 but according to argiriano he was down on time

Yeah, live timing had him slower by 2 tenths whilst the timing on tv showed he was green, ie faster than the fastest lap, which I believe at that time was already Vettel's.

Advertisement

#3520 fdspd

fdspd

• 100 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 17:35

Yeah, live timing had him slower by 2 tenths whilst the timing on tv showed he was green, ie faster than the fastest lap, which I believe at that time was already Vettel's.

I think thats because the fastest sector was not set on the fastest lap. The tv timing was comparing against the sector time on the fastest lap while live timing shows the fastest overall sector times.

#3521 Markn93

Markn93

• 3,489 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 17:39

I think thats because the fastest sector was not set on the fastest lap. The tv timing was comparing against the sector time on the fastest lap while live timing shows the fastest overall sector times.

Just watched it again, he did a 28.6, live timing showed 28.8 :drunk:

#3522 amppatel

amppatel

• 427 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 17:47

Merc have go back to the fatter rear body work. Is that just because of the hotter temps?

Posted Image

#3523 peroa

peroa

• 8,627 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 17:48

Dream on!
Hamilton was less than a tenth faster than Vettels S1 at his third lap with supersofts which didn`t last more than one lap at its best. Vettels first attempt was 3 tenths faster in S1 alone, and if he finished that first fast lap it should be a low 1:25 or even high 1:24. I think RBR/Vettel are going to be unstopable this weekend. Behind them Ferrari, Mercedes and Lotus will fight fiercly. I also think Mercedes have pace to eventually beat them in Q but come the race day Lotus and Ferrari look better prapared... at least for now.

We`ll see.

Yep, Vettel's first lap was a comfortable 25.5 at least.
Vettel's got Q in the bag if it's dry IMHO, if...
Otherwise Q and the race seems pretty much open so far.

#3524 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 2,982 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 17:56

Yep, Vettel's first lap was a comfortable 25.5 at least.
Vettel's got Q in the bag if it's dry IMHO, if...
Otherwise Q and the race seems pretty much open so far.

Merc + Red bull will both be in the 24's. They're not going to be slower than last years pole.

#3525 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,532 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 17:57

I think Redbull will be untouchable but I think we was fuelled heavier, most of our run s lasted longer, its not much, but a bit of hope.

I don't. Think there'll be a couple of tenths in it in Q3.

I'm not so sure. Last year the pole time was 1.24.992 from LH. Merc's(MS) 4th place time was 1.25.336. Both on softs, which are supposed to be this year's mediums, which again are supposed to be 0,5s faster. Track was 24°C ambient was 19°C. Add to this that Barcelona times were faster than 1 year before. RB may certainly be ahead of course, but I do very much hope and think they are overhyped. I don't see any solid proof that they will blitz the whole grid, and ar untouchable, especially not on a season's length. There is still FP3, and then Qualy. Unfortunately, we may not be able to draw any further comparisons, if the weather forecasts are something to go by. Again, so far, so good. I am really itching now to see what everybody can do on fumes, because that's the only conclusive answer you will get, in the end.

#3526 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 7,044 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 18:16

Thanks, that looks like a handful. Pity there's not one of Button so we can compare from last year.

This is the only one I've seen:

#3527 MercPower

MercPower

• 98 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 18:20

Car is looking quick, never got any info on the race runs compared with the other cars though

Anyone have link to the timing on the FIA website?

#3528 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,532 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 18:26

Car is looking quick, never got any info on the race runs compared with the other cars though

Anyone have link to the timing on the FIA website?

https://www.dropbox......Lap Times.pdf

not the official page, but the official data linked by another poster elsewhere.

No conclusions there from the Merc stints.

#3529 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 19:05

Yeah, Merc's long run pace is either horribly, horribly bad or Rosberg kept encountering traffic and etc and didn't set meaningful laps.

#3530 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 13,451 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 19:10

No conclusions there from the Merc stints.

Yea.

Rosberg was still in the 1:34's after 10 laps, which would normally be considered good in comparison with others, but the fact that he had so many slower laps in between could easily account for the tire life.

I think even Mercedes are eager to find out how the car will go on Sunday(if dry).

#3531 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,547 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 19:22

Craig Scarborough ‏@ScarbsF1
Merc's interlinked suspension, links left-to-right for roll and front-to-rear for pitch (dive). Its totally passive and legal

Rumours on the paddock say it has a more secret benefit besides this...
At around the time rumours about Lewis and Mercedes began to circulate last year there arose another rumour. A rumour that Mercedes had quietly hired Steven Jockley, the ex BAR engineer. Nothing was ever confirmed, but rumours say that before Villeneuve's foot injury BAR had been toying with the idea of Flitch Throttle... in testing they found some mechanical limitations to do with the separated suspension of the rear and front wheels and Jockley was working on a hydraulically linked suspension setup to alleviate this problem. But then Villeneuve had his leg operation and the team was sold to Honda and the idea died in the staff shuffle.

As we know the mysterious Flitch Throttle was a technique mastered by Senna, and apart from him he only person to ever use it successfully was Villeneuve. That is until now. Villeneuve is aware of Lewis' admiration for Senna and the similarities in their driving styles and passed on the knowledge he gained from Senna back in the 1994 kart test to Hamilton. McLaren refused to ever develop their car, despite Lewis' continued pleading, down a path that would have made using the technique possible. They knew that would have made the car nearly impossible for Jenson to drive.

Then, in this year's winter testing a very strange sound was heard. There were some McLaren engineers who knew exactly what was up when the Mercedes car of Lewis made a very specific sound in acceleration, a sound that hadn't been heard since Senna was sitting behind the wheel of an F1 car. The fabled Flitch Throttle had returned.

Edited by Cool Beans, 15 March 2013 - 19:23.

#3532 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,532 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 19:25

Yeah, Merc's long run pace is either horribly, horribly bad or Rosberg kept encountering traffic and etc and didn't set meaningful laps.

Rosberg, Massa, Hulkenberg, Ricciardo, Vergne, Bottas were on SS tires, the rest on Mediums at the last stints. I think basically the only way to try the SS tires were on full tanks, as it seems to be only good for one flying lap, and have a life span of in-lap, flying-lap, out lap, and max 5 more at the start on Sunday. That kind of puts those times in the correct context, and as you say, if the erratic swings were down to traffic(everyone was on track, only Vettel, Weber, and Pic was in the pits) I'd even go as far as saying that there are no tyre management problems at Mercedes.

#3533 study

study

• 2,066 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 19:26

sounds like a fairy tale lol

#3534 mlsnoopy

mlsnoopy

• 2,356 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 19:27

At around the time rumours about Lewis and Mercedes began to circulate last year there arose another rumour. A rumour that Mercedes had quietly hired Steven Jockley, the ex BAR engineer. Nothing was ever confirmed, but rumours say that before Villeneuve's foot injury BAR had been toying with the idea of Flitch Throttle... in testing they found some mechanical limitations to do with the separated suspension of the rear and front wheels and Jockley was working on a hydraulically linked suspension setup to alleviate this problem. But then Villeneuve had his leg operation and the team was sold to Honda and the idea died in the staff shuffle.

As we know the mysterious Flitch Throttle was a technique mastered by Senna, and apart from him he only person to ever use it successfully was Villeneuve. That is until now. Villeneuve is aware of Lewis' admiration for Senna and the similarities in their driving styles and passed on the knowledge he gained from Senna back in the 1994 kart test to Hamilton. McLaren refused to ever develop their car, despite Lewis' continued pleading, down a path that would have made using the technique possible. They knew that would have made the car nearly impossible for Jenson to drive.

Then, in this year's winter testing a very strange sound was heard. There were some McLaren engineers who knew exactly what was up when the Mercedes car of Lewis made a very specific sound in acceleration, a sound that hadn't been heard since Senna was sitting behind the wheel of an F1 car. The fabled Flitch Throttle had returned.

He is the TDG.

#3535 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 7,044 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 19:29

:lol:
Its so funny you should post this, yesterday I was surprised when the thought crossed my mind that no one thus far had mentioned the Flitch Throttle technique yet. :lol:

Edited by Obi Offiah, 15 March 2013 - 19:32.

#3536 study

study

• 2,066 posts

He is the TDG.

He is the ONE :cool:

#3537 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,034 posts

Cool Beans :lol:

#3538 Guizotia

Guizotia

• 1,274 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 19:31

R.U.Sirius?

#3539 otbevo

otbevo

• 17 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 19:33

Intrigued by this idea of "Flitch Throttle", but I'm not sure I follow what you mean here. Are you referring to the way that Senna used to stab the throttle constantly mid-corner and that this suspension setup allows for this? Or are you referring to some sort of trick throttle mechanism? Or are you simply laying on the sarcasm (my bet...)??

Edited by otbevo, 15 March 2013 - 19:36.

Advertisement

#3540 mlsnoopy

mlsnoopy

• 2,356 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 19:36

He is the ONE :cool:

Tomorrow he will activate GOD mode
:smoking:

#3541 P123

P123

• 7,406 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 19:36

R.U.Sirius?

You have to ask? :)

#3542 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,532 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 19:37

SEAN?? Is that you? :rotfl:

#3543 peroa

peroa

• 8,627 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 19:38

Good stuff you're smoking there... :smoking:

#3544 Zoetrope

Zoetrope

• 784 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 19:41

Love the story! :clap:

#3545 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 1,105 posts

Who are you? Hans Christian bloody Anderson?!

#3546 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 7,044 posts

SEAN?? Is that you? :rotfl:

Seanvalen? I did think it was a different poster that usually enjoyed the Flitch technique banter. :)

#3547 Arion

Arion

• 2,345 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 19:46

:rotfl:

#3548 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,532 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 19:49

Just for the sake of it: Its Andersen.

#3549 Coops3

Coops3

• 1,449 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 19:52

That is a brilliant story and I so hope you're right, but I highly doubt you are!

#3550 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 13,451 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 19:54

:lol: Well done.