* * * - - 24 votes

Mercedes-AMG 2013 W04

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4001 replies to this topic

#301 SunnyENTP

SunnyENTP

• 717 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:06

Doesn't look as bad as W03, which was probably the ugliest stepped nose of the year. Maybe we won't see Mercedes AMG Dolphin this time

You have better vision than I do. I cant tell a damn thing

Advertisement

#302 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:11

Drivers schedule for Jerez: ROS, HAM, ROS, HAM

#303 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:41

some 2013 rules trends and what we might see at llaunches this year ... "Scarbs F1"

http://scarbsf1.com/...les-and-trends/

#304 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 3,163 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 13:01

W03 or new W04 in this picture. Seems to be opting for step nose as well.

Posted Image

Neither I would imagine.

#305 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 14:20

Posted Image

#306 moorsey

moorsey

• 623 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 14:40

some 2013 rules trends and what we might see at llaunches this year ... "Scarbs F1"

http://scarbsf1.com/...les-and-trends/

Interesting that he sort of hints that the ease or adjusting the suspension may be key to getting the best out of the tyres. I seem to remember that Brawn mentioned that this was one of his targets with the pullrod.

#307 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,073 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 17:13

Lol Mercedes are such teases:

MERCEDES AMG F1 ‏@MercedesAMGF1
When the 1st #F1W04 teaser picture posted earlier gets to x250 retweets (currently 71) we’ll have a new one for you… RT and share! :)

#308 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 18:05

Past 250 now I think so should get another picture tonight.

#309 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,073 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 18:06

Past 250 now I think so should get another picture tonight.

It is yes :up:

#310 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 21:57

Well Mercedes didn't give us another picture.

#311 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 22:25

That picture looks a lot like the W02.

#312 SunnyENTP

SunnyENTP

• 717 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:08

Well Mercedes didn't give us another picture.

They said they will don't expect much though

They did however throw in the final edition of Lewis visit to Mercedes.

http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

#313 Grundle

Grundle

• 692 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:38

Couple of funny moments in there.
Lewis asks a question to a female office worker, and then just walks out the door
. Notice he says he's gone quicker than Nico in the simulator, that brought out some laughs.
Also, he now seems a fan of the David Beckham eye squint.
The best thing is the atmosphere was quite positive.

#314 oligc94

oligc94

• 511 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:43

Lewis asks a question to a female office worker, and then just walks out the door
. Notice he says he's gone quicker than Nico in the simulator, that brought out some laughs.

Haha wonder if that's true? Hamilton is a good simulator driver apparently... :)

#315 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 3,163 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:45

He's such a cocky c*&t, I really like that about him...

#316 Grundle

Grundle

• 692 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:02

He's such a cocky c*&t, I really like that about him...

He's kind of modest and cocky at the same time. He looked prepared to ask questions about the car and design processes, which shows he knows he's got to integrate with the whole team. I think he knows his main role atm is motivation, which is why he mentioned the recent results. He's not afraid to tell it how it is . He seems to be pushing the team already.

#317 chumma

chumma

• 956 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:21

Andy Shovelin for Lewis RE me thinks.

#318 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:28

Interesting that after 10 minutes he says he went a little faster than Nico.

#319 SmokeScreen

SmokeScreen

• 185 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:41

Andy Shovelin for Lewis RE me thinks.

reason for him being in a lot of the shots- makes sense.

Hope he is up for it -was he not paired with MS initially?

Advertisement

#320 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,274 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:43

Interesting that after 10 minutes he says he went a little faster than Nico.

:down:
That should have been edited out ... no need to put NR down

#321 chumma

chumma

• 956 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:52

reason for him being in a lot of the shots- makes sense.

Hope he is up for it -was he not paired with MS initially?

He was, Button too, don't think him and Michael geld well

#322 SmokeScreen

SmokeScreen

• 185 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:59

thought the fact that he was laughing meant he was joking

Maybe subject to misinterpretation outside of that forum but not sure it would have been possible to go faster than Nico in just 10 minutes in a simulator you are not used to and the joke was that everyone in there knows that too.

#323 teejay

teejay

• 3,632 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 14:02

Or the joke is that they are already competing...

#324 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 4,431 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 14:18

Or the joke is that they are already competing...

Hope so. :up:

#325 DoodoolTalla

DoodoolTalla

• 203 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 14:43

He was doing it with Schumacher 24/7, so why shouldn't he?

#326 0113Greenall

0113Greenall

• 55 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 14:50

Hope so. :up:

I would EXPECT so they are team mates yes but also rivals. Somthing tells me the W04 is maybe not going to take pole in aus, But i feel that for once they will have a decent chance at keeping up with some good results :up:

#327 dans79

dans79

• 279 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 16:03

I would EXPECT so they are team mates yes but also rivals. Somthing tells me the W04 is maybe not going to take pole in aus, But i feel that for once they will have a decent chance at keeping up with some good results :up:

I think this as well, and I think a part of that reason is because Lewis might be better suited for this no testing period than MS was. MS was a master when he had unlimited time to fine tune the car, but I think Lewis seems a little better at getting it that first 90% out of the car in practice, driving around the remaining issues, and working with the engineers to make tweaks for the next race.

#328 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 18:27

Posted Image

Top of cockpit?

Any ideas?

#329 0113Greenall

0113Greenall

• 55 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 18:49

Posted Image

Top of cockpit?

Any ideas?

Inspection cover removed from the nose maybe? Exhaust exit on rear of sidepod?

#330 apoka

apoka

• 3,487 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 18:51

Maybe subject to misinterpretation outside of that forum but not sure it would have been possible to go faster than Nico in just 10 minutes in a simulator you are not used to and the joke was that everyone in there knows that too.

It really depends on what you are doing in the simulator. Driving consistent lap times for evaluation vs. pushing hard. We will have enough times to compare soon enough. :-)

#331 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,813 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 18:52

Posted Image

Top of cockpit?

Any ideas?

I think its part of the nose, with one of the holes, the mechanics use to get into the car, without its cover.

#332 Harry

Harry

• 182 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 19:13

I might be reading too much into it but at 2:16 where Lewis says "I know you guys have had a couple of tough years" Nico immediately changes his stance, raises one eyebrow and looks slightly dejected by that comment.

#333 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 19:16

I might be reading too much into it but at 2:16 where Lewis says "I know you guys have had a couple of tough years" Nico immediately changes his stance, raises one eyebrow and looks slightly dejected by that comment.

What would be a possible reason for him being dejected, as you put it?

#334 Harry

Harry

• 182 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 19:25

Maybe because Nico won a race last year? Who's to say but his body language looked a little off straight after that comment.

#335 dans79

dans79

• 279 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 19:40

Maybe because Nico won a race last year? Who's to say but his body language looked a little off straight after that comment.

Maybe, but winning a race isn't really a good year by Lewis's standards. Look at results from last year.
http://en.wikipedia....mula_One_season

Lewis:
wins: 4
no points: 1 (European GP) should have been RET but a technicality made it not
RETs: 5

Nico:
wins: 1
no points: 7
RETs: 3

Basically when he finished the race Lewis scored points last year, But Nico didn't have a car capable of accomplishing that.

Edited by dans79, 31 January 2013 - 19:42.

#336 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 20:37

I guess he is missing Nick Heidfeld to much, and copy him with that beard. I don't think Mercedes is thrilled.

#337 TF110

TF110

• 803 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 21:01

Maybe, but winning a race isn't really a good year by Lewis's standards. Look at results from last year.
http://en.wikipedia....mula_One_season

Lewis:
wins: 4
no points: 1 (European GP) should have been RET but a technicality made it not
RETs: 5

Nico:
wins: 1
no points: 7
RETs: 3

Basically when he finished the race Lewis scored points last year, But Nico didn't have a car capable of accomplishing that.

What's interesting is those RETIRED positions from Hamilton. What would he give to just get points in those races instead of retiring out? If Mercedes can keep their car reliable and he has 3 RETS instead of 5, as long as he can score points (like Raikkonen last year) it'll give this team a big boost. Raikkonen won only 1 race last year, but his consistency in scoring allowed him to challenge for the title until the final two rounds. When you look at that and hold out some hope this car is a little bit faster relative to the field than last year's car, you get a sense that Mercedes can challenge at least for top 3 at the end of the year if everything goes well. But what happens during the year is the mystery.

#338 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 21:05

Ha, I like the sports top he's wearing, I have a very similar Mclaren one, time to swap!

#339 dans79

dans79

• 279 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 21:11

What's interesting is those RETIRED positions from Hamilton. What would he give to just get points in those races instead of retiring out? If Mercedes can keep their car reliable and he has 3 RETS instead of 5, as long as he can score points (like Raikkonen last year) it'll give this team a big boost. Raikkonen won only 1 race last year, but his consistency in scoring allowed him to challenge for the title until the final two rounds. When you look at that and hold out some hope this car is a little bit faster relative to the field than last year's car, you get a sense that Mercedes can challenge at least for top 3 at the end of the year if everything goes well. But what happens during the year is the mystery.

I agree completely, Kimi scored points in every race last year except China when he ran the tires off the car. If Lewis has a reliable car, no team screw ups, and a car with pace even close to the lotus from last year, I think he will finish in the top 4 in the WDC and have a win or two.

Advertisement

#340 RedKloud

RedKloud

• 19 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:43

I will be supporting Lewis this year. :clap:

#341 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:39

Nico can do only one thing which might not keep quiet everyone, but certainly will be convincing for most, and that is, beat Hamilton at the finish line. IMO that will be the very best answer to any suggestions from Hamilton's side of garage.

#342 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 17:09

I hope the car doesn't have a vanity panel. They make the cars ugly.

#343 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,645 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 17:17

No, they do not for me. It just shows how the perception changes when you get used to something. In fact it indeed makes them look better. Saying that, I suspect the W04 will still have a stepped nose. That's the only thing i can 'see' on the first teaser. I hope I am wrong though, because the front-end of the W03 was disgusting.(to me)

#344 0113Greenall

0113Greenall

• 55 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 17:21

I think Merc have thrown the kitchen sink at this years model, But i fear if it flops they will pull out. Hers hoping for a rocket of a machine just to spice things up for "the established three" :up:

#345 dhill39

dhill39

• 418 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 17:32

I think they are committed to at least four or more seasons to see if they are competitive,if not they will sell the team,I am hoping they are though,I want Lewis to win atleast one more championship.I would love if the car was like the Williams of the 90s

#346 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 17:51

Need to agree. I hate these FAT noses

Posted Image

E21's nose looks so agressive, while Ferrari and McLaren looks like fat tanks at the front

#347 0113Greenall

0113Greenall

• 55 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 17:52

I think they are committed to at least four or more seasons to see if they are competitive,if not they will sell the team,I am hoping they are though,I want Lewis to win atleast one more championship.I would love if the car was like the Williams of the 90s

You never know, It only takes 1 idea to win a championship. Mclaren look to be comfy but i expected that. Merc really is the unknown, But they have 2 fantastic talents in the drivers. I wish them all the best

#348 F1Champion

F1Champion

• 2,922 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 17:57

Need to agree. I hate these FAT noses

Posted Image

E21's nose looks so agressive, while Ferrari and McLaren looks like fat tanks at the front

The noses aren't that fat. The Ferrari is the worse of the three. The McLaren and Lotus are fine. Lotus could have done with a vanity panel though.

#349 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 20:38

Doesn't mean he wasn't putting NR down though, or rather, bigging himself up - if you tee up a sentence by saying that Rosberg spent the whole day practicing and THEN say that you went faster after 10 minutes, it's pretty obvious. Hamilton is a big headed guy, but he's sensitive enough to know that it reflects badly, hence saying it so sheepishly and giggling about it.

I don't doubt that he was capable of going faster than Rosberg in that space of time, one of the most impressive things about Hamilton is his speed directly out of the box, it's unrivalled IMO. Pedro De La Rosa had some high praise for Hamilton's skills in a simulator too:

"Lewis is one of the most talented drivers I have ever seen in my life and I really admire him. He has the capacity to learn new tracks, or adapt to a car's set-up or handling better than any other driver. He doesn't really have to think to deliver on the track - he takes a massive amount of speed into a corner and also gets a great exit. I remember I was driving in the McLaren simulator once, testing the new Abu Dhabi circuit. Lewis came in having never seen it before, asked me which direction the first corner went, jumped into the simulator and blew us all away with how quick he was."

#350 FSLIV

FSLIV

• 563 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 21:51

?? What is the vanity panel?? I know its on the Macca but what is it?? Thanks