* * * - - 24 votes

Mercedes-AMG 2013 W04

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4001 replies to this topic

#401 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 14:59

I feel more confident now that i know all those highly paid technical heavy weights are at Merc. The car will surely be the top of the class.

I admire your enthusiasm :)

Advertisement

#402 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 15:00

That cooling exit is exceptionally low right over the diffuser edge. Have not see it this low before.

Yeah over on f1tech, some good images of it lightened up some very strange shapes going on at the back.

#403 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,087 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 15:04

I admire your enthusiasm :)

Doesn't take much to convince me.

#404 SunnyENTP

SunnyENTP

• 717 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 15:05

I feel more confident now that i know all those highly paid technical heavy weights are at Merc. The car will surely be the top of the class.

Aldo Costa and Bob Bell, yes what they know compared to you :rotfl:

Edited by SunnyENTP, 04 February 2013 - 15:10.

#405 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 15:06

http://www1.skysport...o/12870/8471020

Nico seems very pleased by this mornings run, "Amazing" :)

#406 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,087 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 15:09

Aldo Costa and Bob Bell, yes what they know compared to you :rotfl:

If we were not able to query and discuss the design aspects of the cars in the car threads this would be a very empty thread. There is no need to be so defensive. An ex F1 engineer questioned the design, i asked did his view have validity.

Edited by JRizzle86, 04 February 2013 - 15:11.

#407 SunnyENTP

SunnyENTP

• 717 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 15:13

If we were not able to query and discuss the design aspects of the cars in the car threads this would be a very empty thread.

Hey I am agreeing with you. I said its a shame Mercedes hired Aldo Costa, Geoff Willia and Bob Bell and these guys spent over a year not being able to observe a simple error that tooK you and Gary Andreson 2 mins to point out. :wave:

#408 nawz

nawz

• 465 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 15:17

I actually like the nose.

#409 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,087 posts

Hey I am agreeing with you. I said its a shame Mercedes hired Aldo Costa, Geoff Willia and Bob Bell and these guys spent over a year not being able to observe a simple error that tooK you and Gary Andreson 2 mins to point out. :wave:

Well they have made design mistakes before in the cars previous to this by all counts it could happen again. Do you believe this car lacks any such flaws capable of being highlighted by journalists and us common folk?

Edited by JRizzle86, 04 February 2013 - 15:18.

#410 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Lewis in the W04.

#411 Lamag

Lamag

• 986 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 15:23

Yeah Baby, the British Huracan driving his silver arrow

#412 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,870 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 15:25

there is no way we will be able to tell them apart on TV...

#413 jav

jav

• 197 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 15:26

Nico's already saying that he doesn't expect W04 to be as strong as W03 was at the start? Not good.

"I'm confident, but to start the season as we did last year, being one of the fastest cars? Not so confident,"

Edited by jav, 04 February 2013 - 15:27.

#414 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,072 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 15:26

Looks stunning in this pic - http://www.f1fanatic...jere-2013-2.jpg

#415 SunnyENTP

SunnyENTP

• 717 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 15:27

#416 dau

dau

• 4,569 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 15:34

http://www1.skysport...o/12870/8471020

Nico seems very pleased by this mornings run, "Amazing" :)

Doesn't really say anything, he's always been positive about the cars. As expected, of course.

Rosberg on the W01:
"The first impressions of the car were very positive. [...] It felt great - although it is difficult to compare because there are so many things different with the fuel, the tyres and the fuel levels you are running in testing, plus we haven't run on this track for a long time."

The W02:
"It was good, the positive thing was I just felt at home straight away - felt at one with the car. It didn't feel like a different car that I don't know, it feels very nice. That's a very important thing straight away, to feel comfortable. Then the initial impression, it's difficult to compare obviously because with the Pirelli tyres I just did one test back in November, so it's a different track and difficult [to compare]. But the general impression was very good. [...] I think it's just a better car in general."

And the W03:
"It is agile, easy to drive, and looking at it also, everything is working as expected, so generally it is a much more positive start. That was the first impression."

"You can definitely feel that this car is faster or more competitive. Even though it's difficult to compare to other cars and things like that, it's just more together. You can attack more. It feels faster, definitely. [...] We are moving forward, much closer to the front. That's great news. It's so important that we progress towards the front, and we're doing that. And I also feel there is more to come."

Maybe he's right this time though. It's really about time for Merc.

#417 stanga

stanga

• 1,124 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 15:35

Nico's already saying that he doesn't expect W04 to be as strong as W03 was at the start? Not good.

"I'm confident, but to start the season as we did last year, being one of the fastest cars? Not so confident,"

Ruh-ro.

#418 bauss

bauss

• 4,956 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 15:36

Doesn't really say anything, he's always been positive about the cars. As expected, of course.

Rosberg on the W01:
"The first impressions of the car were very positive. [...] It felt great - although it is difficult to compare because there are so many things different with the fuel, the tyres and the fuel levels you are running in testing, plus we haven't run on this track for a long time."

The W02:
"It was good, the positive thing was I just felt at home straight away - felt at one with the car. It didn't feel like a different car that I don't know, it feels very nice. That's a very important thing straight away, to feel comfortable. Then the initial impression, it's difficult to compare obviously because with the Pirelli tyres I just did one test back in November, so it's a different track and difficult [to compare]. But the general impression was very good. [...] I think it's just a better car in general."

And the W03:
"It is agile, easy to drive, and looking at it also, everything is working as expected, so generally it is a much more positive start. That was the first impression."

"You can definitely feel that this car is faster or more competitive. Even though it's difficult to compare to other cars and things like that, it's just more together. You can attack more. It feels faster, definitely. [...] We are moving forward, much closer to the front. That's great news. It's so important that we progress towards the front, and we're doing that. And I also feel there is more to come."

nice to have that perspective :up: :up: ....

#419 bauss

bauss

• 4,956 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 15:37

Looks stunning in this pic - http://www.f1fanatic...jere-2013-2.jpg

side profile from sidepod to rear wing looks very much like last year's Mac

Edited by bauss, 04 February 2013 - 15:40.

Advertisement

#420 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,751 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 15:38

Rosberg on the W01:

The W02:

And the W03:

Thanks for looking these up. So basically no information can be deduced from Rosberg's words.

#421 SunnyENTP

SunnyENTP

• 717 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 15:39

Well they have made design mistakes before in the cars previous to this by all counts it could happen again. Do you believe this car lacks any such flaws capable of being highlighted by journalists and us common folk?

I am no expert, like I said, its was shocking 3 technical heavyweights lightweights such as Aldo Costa, Geoff Willis and Bob Bell were so oblivious to such a common error that could easily by Gary Andreson and yourself. I'd fire them if I were Brawn. No wonder Lowe was head hunted from McLaren.

#422 SirT

SirT

• 188 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 15:41

F1 Fanatic - Hamilton Pics

#423 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,087 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 15:44

I am no expert, like I said, its was shocking 3 technical heavyweights lightweights such as Aldo Costa, Geoff Willis and Bob Bell were so oblivious to such a common error that could easily by Gary Andreson and yourself. I'd fire them if I were Brawn. No wonder Lowe was head hunted from McLaren.

By all intents and purposes they aren't happy with their current design department otherwise they wouldn't be head hunting so many new technical staff over the off season. Therefore it could be more than viable to question the design of the car designed under such a team.

Edited by JRizzle86, 04 February 2013 - 15:45.

#424 surbjits

surbjits

• 366 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 15:45

Should be interesting to see the gap between Hamilton and Rosberg; it'd put MS 2.0's form in some perspective.

#425 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,411 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 15:46

Lol! The FWEPs look like they're doing a backflip!

#426 f1rookie

f1rookie

• 254 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 15:46

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

More pics - http://www.formula1o...-car-first.html

#427 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,751 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 15:48

It's usually quite easy to tell who has done a better packaging job, built a smaller gearbox, etc. While you are correct that a lot of the improvements and tradeoffs aren't visible to us, there are some things that can be consistently judged by laymen, let alone people with experience like GA.

I'm speaking in general, I haven't followed what the person you are responding to has been saying.

Edited by boldhakka, 04 February 2013 - 15:49.

#428 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,087 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 15:49

Lol! The FWEPs look like they're doing a backflip!

To be fair everyone seemed to be doing it at the end of last season.

#429 Masenco

Masenco

• 819 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 15:56

Not sure if this has already been posted:

#430 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 15:58

So, the car already broke down... it seems it was just a test.

Edited by showtime, 04 February 2013 - 16:03.

#431 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,411 posts

To be fair everyone seemed to be doing it at the end of last season.

True. But I thought that the "rules" had been adjusted to limit such practice.

#432 jav

jav

• 197 posts

I don't like it. I had low expectations and the car still disappoints. Rosburgs comments serve to not raise expectations and this is the only thing I did expect. Another year like the ones before.

The car seems seems like a copy excersize... (and badly at that). The holes where control members exit body work are worse than last year ... and nowhere near the fit and finish of top teams (look at their steering arm!..) ... perhaps this is becuase they said they designed their suspension to be easily changeable? Still using gills. The nose transition to the main structure doesn't intergrate well (IMHO). I understand there's some talk they're still using the interlinked suspension??? I thought they blamed the complexity of that system for much of their tire woes?

If they are weak in testing, look for another disappointing year.

Edited by jav, 04 February 2013 - 16:03.

#433 Elissa

Elissa

• 194 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 15:59

Thanks for the link...

The cars looks quite cluttered to me and bulky around the sidepods, lets hope it's a quick one!

I really hope Lewis and Nico add something onto their helmet design to distinguish them at speed!!

#434 f1fastestlap

f1fastestlap

• 1,792 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 16:03

So, the car already broke down... it seems it was just a test.

Yeah, go figure...

ESPN F1 ‏@ESPNF1
Hamilton says the reason he stopped was because Mercedes ran the car out of fuel on purpose as part of procedure.

#435 apoka

apoka

• 3,487 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 16:07

Rosberg on the W01:

The W02:

And the W03:

It's no surprise that Rosberg can't say much - today he also said that you can't compare without real (and not demo) tyres.

He was positive on the W03 and that was not completely unjustified, because they actually were competitive in some of the first races of the season.

In general, he is very positive - if he thinks he cannot fight for a podium, this usually means it will be very hard to score even low points. :)

#436 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,087 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 16:08

Yeah, go figure...

ESPN F1 ‏@ESPNF1
Hamilton says the reason he stopped was because Mercedes ran the car out of fuel on purpose as part of procedure.

They do test fuel level and limits of how little they can fill the car, they have to otherwise quali would be a nightmare.

#437 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 3,147 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 16:12

Thanks for the link...

The cars looks quite cluttered to me and bulky around the sidepods, lets hope it's a quick one!

I really hope Lewis and Nico add something onto their helmet design to distinguish them at speed!!

I think it looks a little cluttered at the rear because as someone pointed out here, http://www.f1technic...c...7&start=165 they've put the 'lower triangular forward arm' behind the pull rod instead of in front. I'm guessing to allow the exhaust plume to pass underneath it.

#438 Gintonious

Gintonious

• 968 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 16:15

I could see one of them getting a black top on their helmet like Button in 2009.

#439 tarmac

tarmac

• 1,155 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 16:23

Lets see if Blackberry is still around in last GP

Advertisement

#440 f1fastestlap

f1fastestlap

• 1,792 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 16:26

Lets see if Blackberry is still around in last GP

They have $2.3bn in cash reserves... I'd say they will be around...

#441 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 16:29

I find it strange people seem to criticise Mercedes for getting a pretty big new sponsor.

#442 P123

P123

• 8,087 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 16:31

They do test fuel level and limits of how little they can fill the car, they have to otherwise quali would be a nightmare.

And better to do so on a 'filming' day than cause a red flag during scheduled testing.

#443 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,087 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 16:31

They have $2.3bn in cash reserves... I'd say they will be around...

Someone said they had $2.8bn on page 10 of the W04 launch thread.

Either they are currently suffering extremely quick affecting losses or one of you is telling porkies.

#444 f1fastestlap

f1fastestlap

• 1,792 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 16:32

Someone said they had $2.8bn on page 10 of the W04 launch thread.

Either they are currently suffering extremely quick affecting losses or one of you is telling porkies.

Despite selling fewer BlackBerrys than most analysts had expected and continuing contraction in gross profit margins, RIM managed to cut its operating loss to $363m, down from $643m in the previous quarter. It boosted cash reserves by $100m to $2.3bn.

Revenue for the second quarter was $2.9bn, up from $2.8bn in the previous quarter but down 31 per cent from a year ago. The latest net loss, equivalent to 45 cents a share and the third quarterly loss in a row, compared to earnings of $329m, or 63 cents a share, on revenue of $4.2bn a year earlier.

http://www.ft.com/in...l#axzz2JwrOPTZc

Edited by f1fastestlap, 04 February 2013 - 16:36.

#445 nosecone

nosecone

• 759 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 16:36

Well it is a bit early to write that the new car will be a dog. We don't know any lap times, the downforce it generates or the tyre degradation.

But we can see some features of the car. It has a not very beautiful nose, updated sidepods and something strange at the rear floor. Wings are like on all cars only placeholders and will be replaced when the time is come. "Beauty wins no races", that is the truth even if i prefer nice looking cars. The cooling outlets are very big or at least it seems to me. We have to look forward for the first times (and i know test times aren't worth mentioning. If you miss interesting details you just have to wait for it. Almost every team will fit new parts to the car at the tests.

#446 fenixracing

fenixracing

• 331 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 16:36

i actually like the look of the car. if you think away the bulk, its realy tight at the back end.
i also think its not front wing they will be using. its looks like it has a different kind of zilver/grey than the rest of the car.
if you compare the mac and the merc from top view the sidepods have the same type of slope. only the merc has this bulk.

#447 SR388

SR388

• 3,752 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 16:41

Great looking car folks. Lets get pumped.

The Future is OURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#448 Tauhid

Tauhid

• 229 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 16:55

car looks way too similar to last years model, here is to hoping its a fast car! I didn't expect much changes anyways. It's better to keep evolving on the same design rather than go all radical on a whole new model unless you are 99% sure that you can build a monster of a car. I expect them to go all out for 2014 and so on. Good to see a big sponsorship from BB which should help both companies, mostly BB. Completely shocking to see this conservative company sponsoring in Super Bowl and now on the most expensive sports entertainment as well. Big boy stuff, audacious I must say.

Both drivers deserve a good car, there is way too much talent in them to be stuck with worthless cars. Look at McLaren, they probably already have unveiled the fastest car on the grid but look at their drivers lineup, most low key presentation of team and driver I have ever seen. I can't imagine McLaren without Lewis Hamilton in this day and age. Too much changes in F1 to be honest, but whatever lets hope Mercedes has built a genuinely good car this time around.

#449 dans79

dans79

• 279 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 16:56

I want to know what the bulge/open tunnel and the bits on the rear floor are for.

Two things come to mind.

1. the exhaust gas and floor bits close off the tunnel.
2. the tunnel and side pod undercuts some how aide blowing the exhaust over the center of the diffuser.

#450 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,859 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 17:02

car looks way too similar to last years model, here is to hoping its a fast car! I didn't expect much changes anyways. It's better to keep evolving on the same design rather than go all radical on a whole new model unless you are 99% sure that you can build a monster of a car. I expect them to go all out for 2014 and so on.

I hope they are not sacrificing this year's car too much for 2014. It will be devastating if the team is once again in no-mans land between the midfield and the front runners. The last thing I want is Lewis constantly starting next to Grosjean, Maldonado and Bianchi.