Photo

Juan Manuel Fangio in... 'Coronation Street'!

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob

• 1,578 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 16:58

I realise this perhaps isn't worthy of a thread of its own, but I couldn't find an appropriate one...

Keen viewers of one of our nation's favourite soaps might have spotted this print on Lloyd's wall:

http://www.directart...00s/far0662.jpg

Let me be clear, I'm not a keen viewer nowadays, but was subject to watching it on catch up TV. Honest. For me it hasn't been the same since the demise of Vera and Jack. Everyone today seems to be a criminal, adulterer, or both.

Maybe there are other strange places where images of our heroes have surprised us. I'd hate this thread not to have at least one response, especially during our fluffy holiday season.

Rob

Advertisement

#2 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 17:41

I realise this perhaps isn't worthy of a thread of its own, but I couldn't find an appropriate one...

Keen viewers of one of our nation's favourite soaps might have spotted this print on Lloyd's wall:

Let me be clear, I'm not a keen viewer nowadays, but was subject to watching it on catch up TV. Honest. For me it hasn't been the same since the demise of Vera and Jack. Everyone today seems to be a criminal, adulterer, or both.

Maybe there are other strange places where images of our heroes have surprised us. I'd hate this thread not to have at least one response, especially during our fluffy holiday season.

Rob

Sad to say that I noticed that too!. One of the houses in Emmerdale also has historic motor sport prints on the wall. I think the house is currently occupied by two 'Geordie' women. Hope this is of some reassurance to you Rob.

#3 RCH

RCH

• 1,138 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 18:03

Must admit when I saw it there I thought it was one of my old mate Chris Dugan's prints.

Edited by RCH, 27 December 2012 - 18:04.

#4 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob

• 1,578 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 18:06

Must admit when I saw it there I thought it was one of my old mate Chris Dugan's prints.

It's Stuart McIntyre, Rod, see here http://stuartmcintyr...uk/galleryI.htm

Rob

Edited by Kingsleyrob, 27 December 2012 - 18:08.

#5 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 18:16

I managed to place a Pirelli calendar in Kevin's garage many years ago ( which to be fair was not unusual sight in the 1990s )..........but someone pinched it in the March and probably sold it :rotfl:

PAR

#6 alansart

alansart

• 4,419 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 18:21

I managed to place a Pirelli calendar in Kevin's garage many years ago ( which to be fair was not unusual sight in the 1990s )..........but someone pinched it in the March and probably sold it :rotfl:

PAR

Apparently one of my Nigel Mansell posters was in Kevin's garage for a while around about the same time. I never saw it as I never watch the programme :|

#7 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,489 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 18:58

I believe Fangio and Luigi Fagioli both once appeared in Corrie. Trouble began in The Rovers, however, when Fagioli was ordered to hand his pint to the maestro, whose own glass had become chipped. Fagioli later stormed off the set and vowed never to appear in the soap again.

Or am I confusing this with some other incident?

#8 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 968 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 19:02

I hate to admit knowing this but there are some nice classic grand prix posters on the wall of one of the cottages in "Emmerdale".

David

#9 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob

• 1,578 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 19:12

I believe Fangio and Luigi Fagioli both once appeared in Corrie. Trouble began in The Rovers, however, when Fagioli was ordered to hand his pint to the maestro, whose own glass had become chipped. Fagioli later stormed off the set and vowed never to appear in the soap again.

I see you've been on the seasonal pop Simon.

The street has seen a succession of famous faces, including Parfitt and Rossi, Sir Ian Mckellen, and Peter Kaye. I can't recall any motorsport connection. I can't really imagine a tartan capped Scotsman turning up in the Rovers flogging fake Rolexes.

The closest I can recall is John Frankenheimer's Jeff Jordan turning up as Elsie Tanner's on-off love interest, sailor Bill Gregory.

But I'm sure someone else will top this.

Rob

#10 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,742 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 19:25

Didn't Peter Collins once hand over his own pint to Fangio after the Argentinian complained that his tasted a bit off?

#11 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,571 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 19:41

Didn't Peter Collins once hand over his own pint to Fangio after the Argentinian complained that his tasted a bit off?

I remember an episode of Corrie in 1955, Fangio was heading towards the bar to order, when a young Stirling nipped in front at the very last moment to get his order in first. Some misguided souls have since claimed that it was Juan Manuel's innate good manners that allowed the youngster to score.

#12 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 20:03

Dan Archer had a signed photograph of A.F.P. Fane in the single-seat Frazer Nash at Prescott in the kitchen of Home Farm, Brookfield. Doris hated it and tried on several occasions to 'lose' it.

#13 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,698 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 21:28

Rob

I wonder: did the wholesale swapping of cars by the fifties Maserati and Ferrari sports car teams inspire some of the storylines? :cool:

#14 ryan86

ryan86

• 1,100 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 21:37

I remember Neighbours had a motor racing plot in the late 90's. Lou Carpenter ran a car for some forgettable character named Ben and at then this happened.

#15 GrumpyOldMan

GrumpyOldMan

• 98 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 21:56

I remember an episode of Corrie in 1955, Fangio was heading towards the bar to order, when a young Stirling nipped in front at the very last moment to get his order in first. Some misguided souls have since claimed that it was Juan Manuel's innate good manners that allowed the youngster to score.

Similarly, a couple of years later Fangio was getting a round in when he was suddenly caught short. After spending far longer than intended in the gents (some say it was the chemical reaction of suspect pork scratchings and Newton & Ridley's finest), he was only just able to rush out and elbow his way past Collins & Hawthorn to the bar to complete his order before Annie Walker rang for last orders.

#16 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,292 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 22:33

Let me be clear, I'm not a keen viewer nowadays, but was subject to watching it on catch up TV. Honest...

Rob

OR:
"Of course, I don't ever buy this sort of magazine myself, you realise - I just found this one left on the seat of the railway carriage on the way home..."

#17 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 23:18

I see you've been on the seasonal pop Simon.

The street has seen a succession of famous faces, including Parfitt and Rossi, Sir Ian Mckellen, and Peter Kaye. I can't recall any motorsport connection. I can't really imagine a tartan capped Scotsman turning up in the Rovers flogging fake Rolexes.

The closest I can recall is John Frankenheimer's Jeff Jordan turning up as Elsie Tanner's on-off love interest, sailor Bill Gregory.

But I'm sure someone else will top this.

Rob

Mike Hailwood appeared once as a young, leather jacket-clad motorcyclist.

#18 john aston

john aston

• 2,675 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:21

I am a Corrie fan and have been for years- brilliantly written and extremely funny. Some years ago- mid 90s - I heard somebody make a comment at the bar of The Rover's Return how weird it was that the Peugeot V10s in the Jordans sounded very different from the Hondas etc. It was a spot on comment - the Jordan made a wonderful doomy howl-but absolutely not in the context I would have expected. I assume one of the scriptwriters for that episode was another motor sport anorak.

#19 dwh43scale

dwh43scale

• 454 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:12

This is the sort of occasional thread I love about TNF; especially, Mr Arron et als "historical re-interpretations" ! Genius

Advertisement

#20 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:41

Julie Goodyear's son raced FF1600 at Oulton Park for a couple of years ....although not against Fangio or Peter Collins

PAR

#21 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob

• 1,578 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:50

Julie Goodyear's son raced FF1600 at Oulton Park for a couple of years ....although not against Fangio or Peter Collins

PAR

What tyres did he use Phil??

Rob

#22 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,708 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 13:45

Albert Arkwright used to stock Au Au Au Autosp sp sp sp sport circa 1985 :smoking:

#23 RCH

RCH

• 1,138 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 16:46

Albert Arkwright used to stock Au Au Au Autosp sp sp sp sport circa 1985 :smoking:

Think I saw Motoring New there once as well.

#24 RCH

RCH

• 1,138 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 16:49

Going back many, many years Dennis Tanner (who has mysteriously reappeared, looking little older, 50 years on) went to an Oulton Park meeting one weekend with some "posh" friends who his mother was convinced were up to no good.

#25 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,571 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 16:55

M-m-m-m-motoring N-n-n-n-news?

(No offence intended towards any stutterers among us.)

#26 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,698 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 17:30

And I've seen both together with Motor Sport, Autocar and Motor in Rita's corner shop - not necessarily the current ones suggesting poor stock control.

#27 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,489 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 18:05

I gather Fangio's intuition came to his aid relatively recently. He was heading for another quiet half in The Rovers, knowing he was unlikely to encounter further problems with Fagioli, when he realised pedestrians were all looking the other way, towards the corner shop, rather than at him. He braked as a precaution and thus avoided becoming caught up in the tram accident's fiery aftermath.

I've heard it said that he sloped off to The Red Lion, Little Budworth, instead, in the certain knowledge that his evening would not be disrupted by combustible public transport.

#28 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,571 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 18:18

I've heard it said that he sloped off to The Red Lion, Little Budworth...

More likely to be The Black Horse (in a yellow shield).

#29 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,708 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 18:33

More likely to be The Black Horse (in a yellow shield).

Or The Trident in Burntwood perhaps ? :smoking:

#30 alansart

alansart

• 4,419 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 18:42

I've heard it said that he sloped off to The Red Lion, Little Budworth, instead, in the certain knowledge that his evening would not be disrupted by combustible public transport.

...only for the future Stig's RF84 to appear through the roof.

Who said it was far fetched :)

#31 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 19:48

http://www.whatsontv...or-racing/14684

What have you started Rob :eek:

PAR

#32 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,955 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 21:14

Originally posted by Vitesse2

The one episode I remember...

I later heard that he was no longer around when the yards were being handed out to those deemed to have done good deeds.

#33 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:11

There is another connection with Coronation Street and this forum. Perhaps you may recall the question of "Who is the large gentleman photographed at Old Hall Corner". That was Peter Ricketts, father of Adam Ricketts, who I believe is one of the rogues and vagabonds in the acting "profession", employed in the series. Never watched it but used to supply hire cars and chauffeur cars to Granada back in the early 60s.

Edited by Sharman, 29 December 2012 - 11:11.

#34 ryan86

ryan86

• 1,100 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:11

He was on Corrie about 15 years ago now. He then released a truly awful music record.

#35 nicanary

nicanary

• 691 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:41

He was on Corrie about 15 years ago now. He then released a truly awful music record.

And then IIRC went into politics. Only a Corrie fan would know such trivia...

PS I don't think much should be read into the Fangio print on the living-room wall - it was probably a prop left lying around in the studios. But I have enjoyed the analogies of "The Old Man" and life on the cobbled streets. Was he the Argentinian milk-float driver who smashed a front wheel against the kerb on Bessie Street, but bravely continued to the end of his round with only one wheel steering? And finished on time.

#36 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,545 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 16:01

Surely that would have been Muttering News?

#37 Auroraf1

Auroraf1

• 367 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 17:52

I think it is more of a young persons soap opera, but I believe some programmes purchased from me are now featured on the wall of a pub in Hollyoaks.

The character Patrick from Coupling had a motorsport themed flat and I was very jealous to see the nosecone from a Melchester Racing Tyrrell 008 on the wall above the fire place. See below.

#38 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,389 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 17:55

I distinctly recall Stirling Moss telling the Licensed Victuallers Association that Mike Hawthorn had not drunk his beer while on the wrong side of the bar...

#39 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,489 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 18:46

I distinctly recall Stirling Moss telling the Licensed Victuallers Association that Mike Hawthorn had not drunk his beer while on the wrong side of the bar...

Yes, and as a consequence Hawthorn ended up taking CAMRA's coveted Landlord of the Year title, when everybody knew that Moss served a much better pint.

Advertisement

#40 cyrilmac

cyrilmac

• 439 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 19:31

Or The Trident in Burntwood perhaps ? :smoking:

The Concorde wasn't far from there ........apparently. Not to mention Mo , of course..

Edited by cyrilmac, 29 December 2012 - 19:34.