Scuderia Toro Rosso - STR8

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 showtime

showtime

• 3,032 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:54

http://www.omnicorse...-anteriore-pull

La Toro Rosso cambia tutto. L’esperienza della monoposto con il doppio fondo è stata definitivamente bocciata: i vantaggi aerodinamici della STR07 non sono stati pari ai problemi che si sono creati alzando sensibilmente la distribuzione delle masse con i radiatori che erano montati in posizione rialzata per favorire il passaggio del flusso fra la parte inferiore della pancia e il fondo.

BOCCIATO IL DOPPIO FONDO La STR08 motorizzata Ferrari, quindi, sarà più tradizionale nei concetti e più aderente alla filosofia costruttiva della Red Bull Racing. La vettura di Faenza è curata da Luca Furbatto, l’ex progettista della McLaren, ma risentirà dell’influenza di Milton Keynes, visto che il nuovo direttore tecnico della Toro Rosso, James Key, approdato in Romagna per succedere a Giorgio Ascanelli, ha trascorso molto del suo tempo in Gran Bretagna.

NONO POSTO NEL COSTRUTTORI A Dietrich Mateschitz non è affatto piaciuto vedere che la squadra romagnola sia finita al nono posto della classifica del mondiale Costruttori con un bottino di soli 26 punti, riuscendo a stare davanti solo e soltanto alle ultime tre squadre entrate nel Circus con progetti low-cost (Caterham, Marussia e HRT).

NIENTE SOSPENSIONE ANTERIORE PULL Il 2013 deve segnare una netta inversione di tendenza per una struttura che ormai dispone di oltre trecento persone e nel 2008 aveva vinto il Gp d’Italia a Monza con Sebastian Vettel. Stando alle indiscrezioni la STR08 non avrà la sospensione anteriore pull rod in stile Ferrari (che sarà, invece, copiata da McLaren, Lotus e Mercedes), ma resterà fedele ad uno schema push rod in linea con le esperienze della Red Bull.

GRANDE CURA AI RADIATORI Luca Furbatto ha curato con particolare attenzione lo studio delle masse radianti, per collocare i pacchi in modo tale da favorire un disegno delle pance che degradino nella parte posteriore, onde favorire l’effetto Coanda degli scarichi soffianti nel diffusore posteriore.

ULTIMO ANNO FERRARI, POI RENAULT Quella 2013 sarà l’ultima stagione in cui le monoposto di Faenza correranno con il motore Ferrari, visto che con il passaggio al V6 turbo di 1,6 litri è già stato deciso che il fornitore sarà la Renault, lo stesso della Red Bull Racing.

RISCATTO DI RICCIARDO E VERGNE? I due giovani piloti, Daniel Ricciardo e Jean-Eric Vergne, entrambi confermati, dovranno concretizzare la stagione di apprendimento che la Toro Rosso ha loro concesso nel 2012 e dimostrare di essere quei talenti che Helmut Marko ha sostenuto a spada tratta: dovranno migliorare soprattutto in qualifica…

- No double floor for 2013, new design closer to RB idea.
- No Pull Rod for the front suspension. They will not follow McLaren, Lotus and Mercedes on their change from Push Rod.
- Special care with the radiators. They no longer have to be on a high position to allow the double floor so Luca Furbatto (chief designer) has been working on sidepods shapes to maximize the Coanda effect on the exhaust.
- Last season with Ferrari, Renault will provide the engines from 2014.

Advertisement

#2 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:07

and obviously a new sponsor:
Posted Image
:p

will be interesting to see if James Key can shine at yet another midfield team. sadly, I don't think he was poached fast enough to have a serious impact on the baseline of the 2013 car, only in the upgrades.

#3 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 13:05

will be interesting to see if James Key can shine at yet another midfield team. sadly, I don't think he was poached fast enough to have a serious impact on the baseline of the 2013 car, only in the upgrades.

Please forgive my general ignorance on Toro Rosso matters. (feel free to throw bricks at this crappy post :) )

You have to wonder what the precise FOTA/FIA rules are on the amount of RBR/RBT data Toro Rosso can have.
I suppose even with this data, it still has to be put into practice, a tough job. :| Evidently they had confidence in their double floor previously.

It is a shame that the team has to use a different engine than Red Bull.

Do they use a RBR (RBT) wind tunnel... at least the engineers operating it will have the top ideas in their memory if so. I guess they rent one in Italy or use a TMG one or something actually though? :| James Key will have some Newey-inspired data, but be doing his own thing I guess?

#4 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 13:07

- Last season with Ferrari, Renault will provide the engines from 2014.

They must have incredible capacity at Mechachrome, amazing :eek:

#5 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 13:29

I'm getting excited. Hopefully wont be too hard to be better than the piece of **** they had in 2012

#6 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 17:19

Thanks for the link.

The binning of the Double Floor will certainly help to package the radiators upflow in a way to ease the design of an effective Coanda or Downwash exhaust package. From the article it seems they are going for the RB8- style Coanda. I wonder if we will see similar ducts under the exhaust bulge. A pull-rod front suspension does help to bring more weight lower but the geometry should require quite a lot of ressources to get it right. The 2014 rules are still unclear but a lower nose would certainly make the pull-rod scheme considerably more attractive, I guess. Keep in mind that Minardi did run a pull-rod front suspensions with a low low nose roughly a decade ago.

Of course it is all talk and rumours so far. Still the teams who will switch over to pull-rods had this project in the pipeline for many many months.

#7 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 12,327 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 21:27

They must have incredible capacity at Mechachrome, amazing :eek:

Must be very stressful, the amount of engines they provide is crazy.

Sounds positive though, the double floor didn't really work that well so going for the more conventional approach seems like a good idea.

#8 SRK

SRK

• 220 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 22:03

Do they use a RBR (RBT) wind tunnel... at least the engineers operating it will have the top ideas in their memory if so. I guess they rent one in Italy or use a TMG one or something actually though? :| James Key will have some Newey-inspired data, but be doing his own thing I guess?

Don't worry ;) STR has exclusive wind tunnel and CFD in Bicester. This is old Jaguar windtunnel which was built for Reynard. They don't work in Bedford.

#9 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 22:11

So that article seems to suggest Maren, Mercededes, and Lotus have all switched to a pull rod front suspension then...does this article have a similar piece of these teams too? I wonder where they get their info from! Good article thankyou

#10 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,314 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 22:54

I'm getting tired of all those teams wanting Renault engines. Won't be long and we'll have only two suppliers left. Where are the times when Ferrari, Mercedes, Renault, Toyota, (Ford) Cosworth, Honda and BMW were al supplying engines. I really miss those days.

#11 showtime

showtime

• 3,032 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 23:00

So that article seems to suggest Maren, Mercededes, and Lotus have all switched to a pull rod front suspension then...does this article have a similar piece of these teams too? I wonder where they get their info from! Good article thankyou

No but when La Gazzeta and other Italian media speculated about next season's Ferrari they also said those teams will use a Pull Rod front suspension. I don't know how trustworthy their sources are.

Edited by showtime, 30 December 2012 - 02:57.

#12 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 23:31

I'm getting tired of all those teams wanting Renault engines. Won't be long and we'll have only two suppliers left. Where are the times when Ferrari, Mercedes, Renault, Toyota, (Ford) Cosworth, Honda and BMW were al supplying engines. I really miss those days.

Whether it is just marketing or not Ferrari, Renault and Mercedes are there as the famous and prestigious long-time Grand Prix racing marques, and the others are nothing more than quitters really aren't they...

It reflects badly on Toyota (though Motorsport is mostly irrelevant for Toyota brand image) but even worse for the sporty brand BMW! ...Being beat up by Mercedes and quitting, not a good look at all!

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 29 December 2012 - 23:32.

#13 Diderlo

Diderlo

• 170 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 23:50

No but when La Gazzeta and other Italian media speculated about next season's Ferrari they also said those teams will use a Push Rod front suspension. I don't know how trustworthy their sources are.

Pull or push rod?

#14 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,606 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:46

Surely once Toro Rosso start using the same engines as Red Bull the potential is there for them to become fully fledged guinea pigs for the bosses?

#15 showtime

showtime

• 3,032 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:57

Pull or push rod?

Pull, my mistake.

#16 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:20

The move from Ferrari to Renault has arguably to do, among other factors with the conflicts between RBR and Ferrari. It is rather obvious that even with a different chassis it could help both teams if they run the same drivetrain, KERS and so forth. There are already some deals in place between big and smaller teams like McLaren&Force India, RBR&Caterham and so forth. The smaller team can shift more ressources where they can get more performance bang for the buck and the bigger teams can spread their R&D investment over more units.

For a engine supplier a greater amount of teams could actually be quite an advantage in 2014. It should help to get a lot of in-car testing done quite early compared to suppliers like Ferrari. If you are the principal 'worksteam' I can see far greater benefits by having a couple of additional teams running your engines.

#17 CrossF1

CrossF1

• 97 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 16:40

Ricciardo: New car looks very different to old: http://www.thef1time...s/display/07126

#18 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:04

so what do you guys (and girls) think the reason is of the switch from ferrari to renault? I can't decide between these:

-ferrari don't want to reveal their new engine and their updates to the red bull 'family', so they didn't want to renew with toro rosso
-red bull is afraid ferrari won't give their latest spec engines and update packages to toro rosso, and they wanted to move away from ferrari
-renault says more on track data -> better development, 5 teams is more than 4
-renault says dividing the costs between 5 teams is cheaper than 4 -> though I assume red bull gets the engines free, and they're not concerned, this way toro gets a way cheaper engine than ferrari and has more budget for aero
-red bull needs a guinea pig not just for drivers, but for engines and ERS too
-they believe renault will be the best engine, and switch for better performance
-red bull wants toro rosso to be able to incorporate red bull design, tricks etc and it is easier with the same engine
-none of these?

#19 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:11

Drive train, Kers and other parts can be shared between RBR and TR.

Advertisement

#20 FPV GTHO

FPV GTHO

• 2,393 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:16

Ferrari are thinking of doing a deal with Force India, and maybe don't want to take on another team and thus its then dropping Toro Rosso?

#21 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:06

so what do you guys (and girls) think the reason is of the switch from ferrari to renault? I can't decide between these:

-ferrari don't want to reveal their new engine and their updates to the red bull 'family', so they didn't want to renew with toro rosso
-red bull is afraid ferrari won't give their latest spec engines and update packages to toro rosso, and they wanted to move away from ferrari
-renault says more on track data -> better development, 5 teams is more than 4
-renault says dividing the costs between 5 teams is cheaper than 4 -> though I assume red bull gets the engines free, and they're not concerned, this way toro gets a way cheaper engine than ferrari and has more budget for aero
-red bull needs a guinea pig not just for drivers, but for engines and ERS too
-they believe renault will be the best engine, and switch for better performance
-red bull wants toro rosso to be able to incorporate red bull design, tricks etc and it is easier with the same engine
-none of these?

Almost all of them have merit but sharing components, especially the drivetrain and integrated systems should have the biggest impact. Keep in mind that RBR does already do so with Caterham. In this case RBR can spread the R&D, getting another revenue stream and considerable relevant feedback. The same goes for Renault. STR on the other hand an focus on the chassis which made the difference in the last years. The systems in question don't bring relative performance but can cost you a lot of points.

Keep in mind that in theory STR could pay Renault for the RBR engines, making it easier for RBR to reduce costs. The same overall owner would pay the bill but from an accounting point of view it would be a completely different affair.

P.S: Personally I do think that Ferrari would do well to get another costumer. Force India doesn't seem to be a likely candidate as they already are linked with McLaren and Mercedes and get a strong mechanical package. Maybe a smaller team like Marussia might be a good idea. Sauber has proven to be a good partner and I can not imagine a switch there.

Edited by H2H, 03 January 2013 - 09:11.

#22 FPV GTHO

FPV GTHO

• 2,393 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:48

Force India were shaping up as a Mercedes B team but now they've lost Hulkenberg to a Ferrari customer and di Resta is maybe losing some stock value. Meanwhile Jules Bianchi is favourite for a seat which is driving Ferrari rumours to which I based my previous comment on.

Looking to 2014 you have to assume we're down to just 3 engines and so with HRT gone, who picks up Marussia? They too have some form of deal currently with McLaren and so surely they will take a Mercedes engine. So if Force India drop their engines to Marussia and Toro Rosso drop their engines to Force India, Renault are the only ones picking up an extra team and are already supplying the most teams. They're the most vocal too about having the ability to expand and even the desire to do so.

#23 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 15:36

so when will the car be presented exactly?

#24 showtime

showtime

• 3,032 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 15:36

so when will the car be presented exactly?

17:30 - 18:00 CET

http://forums.autosp...howtopic=179082

Edited by showtime, 04 February 2013 - 15:38.

#25 Frankbullitt

Frankbullitt

• 3,120 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 16:45

http://www.f1talks.p...ecia/?pid=11873

#26 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 16:52

Coanda exhaust? Don't think they had that last year. Not much else different, sidepods a little more refined perhaps.

Edited by goingthedistance, 04 February 2013 - 16:53.

#27 MoebiusPT

MoebiusPT

• 76 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 16:56

This one should be called, The Nice-To-The-Eyes Bull, as it has no stepped nose and purple/fuscia publicity

#28 Francesc

Francesc

• 5,024 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 16:58

Coanda exhaust? Don't think they had that last year. Not much else different, sidepods a little more refined perhaps.

Yes, they had Coanda already.

Double floor gone btw.

#29 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 17:02

Nice nose. Is this the first car with a clearly removable modesty panel? Double floor gone as expected, car looks like a str8 design.

#30 onewingedangel

onewingedangel

• 1,593 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 17:03

Now the only cars that say Red Bull on the sidepods are not Red Bulls. Perfectly clear for the casual fan.

#31 surbjits

surbjits

• 943 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 17:05

The name of the car reminds me of this: :rotfl:

#32 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 17:23

Coy on the diffuser area. :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#33 danstheman

danstheman

• 608 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 18:18

Official press release

http://www.redbull.c...021243313613418

#34 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 18:22

Posted Image
IMO it is the nicest panel nose to date :)

Posted Image

#35 smoothcrim

smoothcrim

• 426 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 18:40

Lovely car,hope its as fast as it looks.

#36 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,762 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 18:59

Best looking car since F10 :love:

#37 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 19:23

Now the only cars that say Red Bull on the sidepods are not Red Bulls. Perfectly clear for the casual fan.

at least I can now make out a difference... whenever I was watching TV.... it was hard to make out which car is RB and which is TR... except for when you saw who they were driving against

#38 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 19:28

Interesting nose

#39 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 19:33

Like the nose, to quote John Cleese it is "wafer thin". Does the livery guy just press Control + C followed by Control + V every year or something?

Advertisement

#40 tomisumi

tomisumi

• 251 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 19:46

Posted Image

#41 jondon

jondon

• 617 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 19:48

Nice looking car, I like the nose. Best of luck to them!

#42 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 19:51

looks great, TBH...

#43 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 20:21

That looks really nice, I hope Ricciardo goes really well. Up there with the Sauber as best looking car of 2013.

On the other hand the RBR is the ugliest car thus far.

Anyone get the feeling Newey has gone a bit overboard and STR will get much closer than years passed?

Edited by Jimisgod, 04 February 2013 - 20:24.

#44 CoinOperated

CoinOperated

• 77 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 20:37

Anyone get the feeling Newey has gone a bit overboard and STR will get much closer than years passed?

Lets hope these predictions are right, I'd like to see Ricciardo having a good car and Vettel a car in which he actually has to put effort to pull off a win.

Edited by CoinOperated, 04 February 2013 - 20:37.

#45 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 20:42

Posted Image

The McLaren fanboys will be jealous of these transparent parts :p

Edited by F.M., 04 February 2013 - 20:42.

#46 Absulute

Absulute

• 1,049 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 21:00

It's hard to find any enthusiasm about this team, but the car looks nice nonetheless.

#47 CrashPad

CrashPad

• 475 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 21:06

Another beauty, on par with the Merc when it comes to looks :love:
Hoping for a good year for these guys as well!

#48 danstheman

danstheman

• 608 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 21:53

Has anyone seen this before? I remember some cars having a cover on the outside of the wheel but not as part of the suspension...

Posted Image

#49 mattferg

mattferg

• 847 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 22:43

Lets hope these predictions are right, I'd like to see Ricciardo having a good car and Vettel a car in which he actually has to put effort to pull off a win.

AHAHAHAHHA, you're right, because Bahrain was so easy? Or climbing through the field in Spa, Abu Dhabi, that was easy? Fanboy please go.

#50 CoinOperated

CoinOperated

• 77 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 22:48

AHAHAHAHHA, you're right, because Bahrain was so easy? Or climbing through the field in Spa, Abu Dhabi, that was easy? Fanboy please go.

You forgot Brazil. Anyway ontopic.