Photo
* * * - - 15 votes

Lewis @ Mercedes: the biggest mistake of his career?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
916 replies to this topic

Poll: Lewis Hamilton has made a terrible mistake (562 member(s) have cast votes)

You reckon?

1. Nah man, he's gonna be great, relax (255 votes [45.62%])

Percentage of vote: 45.62%

2. He'll probably beat Rosberg, the rest is someone else's responsibility (144 votes [25.76%])

Percentage of vote: 25.76%

3. No biggie, he'll be back at Mclaren in 2016 (46 votes [8.23%])

Percentage of vote: 8.23%

4. OH SHI- (114 votes [20.39%])

Percentage of vote: 20.39%

Vote

#551 mgs315

mgs315

• 359 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 13:49

With the MW to Porsche rumour doing the rounds, could one say he went too early to the wrong seat?

Advertisement

#552 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,663 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 13:52

With the MW to Porsche rumour doing the rounds, could one say he went too early to the wrong seat?

It would probably require SV to be leaving for Lewis to end up there. I would say Ricciardo will end up getting Mark's Red Bull seat if he does leave.

#553 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 13:52

If Red Bull kicks Webber out. Do you seriously think they would hire Hamilton?

Webber would be replaced because they need a better no. 2. Hamilton is anything but that.

#554 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,792 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 13:54

To be honest the answer of this thread will only become clear at the end of the season. :)

To a neutral, it is already very clear.

#555 speng

speng

• 1,299 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 13:56

Really think about it this time and see if you come with the same question

#556 Sennasational

Sennasational

• 195 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 14:00

Rumour was that he wanted to go Red Bull, but was declined (I believe he spoke to Bernie, who told him to try Merc instead). Horner has said he wouldn't hire Hamilton, iirc.

For me personally, Newey is great. But I'd rather be racing for Brawn than Horner.

#557 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,792 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 14:00

Yeah we know how it ended, dumb Mclaren pit stops and DNFs.

The team's a joke, the team leader is a joke, and Hamilton's 'replacement' is a joke.

I like Button though, but he's no reference point for how capable a car is, so Mclaren don't even know if the car can go faster, which is quite amusing.

You claimed to like Button but you called him a joke. I shudder to think what you'd call the F1 drivers whom you dislike.

#558 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 14:05

The team leader might be Whitmarsh?

#559 Balths

Balths

• 136 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 14:23

You claimed to like Button but you called him a joke. I shudder to think what you'd call the F1 drivers whom you dislike.

Team leader is Whitmarsh.

Advertisement

#560 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 1,948 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 15:20

The usual suspects have done a runner away from this revived thread ! :lol:

#561 mgs315

mgs315

• 359 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 15:26

Really think about it this time and see if you come with the same question

I have and I do. What better for publicity for Red Bull too, even if it turns into a complete shitstorm.

I'd be happy to be reasoned with if you so please. Could you provide me with a counter argument instead of a condecending remark?

Edited by mgs315, 14 April 2013 - 15:33.

#562 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,861 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 17:11

No. He went for the right seat, a challenging one. If Lewis joins Red Bull he would be called a winning-team-joiner. He has chosen the tougher path which is better. One day Vettel will need to do so too.

#563 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 1,948 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 17:21

No. He went for the right seat, a challenging one. If Lewis joins Red Bull he would be called a winning-team-joiner. He has chosen the tougher path which is better. One day Vettel will need to do so too.

You are deluding yourself mate.In fact you are in la la land. Why should Vettel chose to go to a lower caliber seat when he already was in one during his stint @ Minardi?

#564 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,677 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 17:24

+1

#565 Grundle

Grundle

• 692 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 17:27

+2

#566 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,861 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 17:33

You are deluding yourself mate.In fact you are in la la land. Why should Vettel chose to go to a lower caliber seat when he already was in one during his stint @ Minardi?

His race winning Torro Rosso was an Adrian Newey designed Red Bull in disguise.

#567 Risil

Risil

• 13,895 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 17:34

Disguise?

#568 mgs315

mgs315

• 359 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 17:38

He even said himself at the end of Hungary last year on the radio 'but I want to win'.

Even MS in 96 knew Ferrari were on the up with Todt, Brawn and Byrne etc.

Edited by mgs315, 14 April 2013 - 17:46.

#569 AD2B

AD2B

• 26 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 17:54

It seems to be that he's made a great decision, and perhaps having someone in their team that would force eyes on them has been the final kick up the backside they needed. I imagine that's why Schumacher was hired originally, but as we saw that didn't quite pan out - perhaps he had lost some of his speed.

Regardless of outcomes, at this moment in time Lewis is wearing a smile that we haven't seen for many years, and seems to be gaining lots of fans. That in itself, to me at least, has vindicated his decision.

#570 Speedoholic

Speedoholic

• 152 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 18:06

It seems to be that he's made a great decision, and perhaps having someone in their team that would force eyes on them has been the final kick up the backside they needed. I imagine that's why Schumacher was hired originally, but as we saw that didn't quite pan out - perhaps he had lost some of his speed.

Regardless of outcomes, at this moment in time Lewis is wearing a smile that we haven't seen for many years, and seems to be gaining lots of fans. That in itself, to me at least, has vindicated his decision.

I have to agree with you on this one. Most people just hated him because he was at McLaren, and to them McLaren was somehow the "enemy".

#571 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,078 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:44

I find this image to be very poignant - http://www.f1fanatic...shan-2013-3.jpg

RB, Ferrari, Lotus, Mclaren and a glimpse of the teammate in the background. Imagine showing this to people on the day/during the immediate aftermath of the decision and telling them it was after just 3 races.

"Sorry sir, but we've run out of the humble pie this evening"

#572 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,029 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:38

He's doing well, but lets wait till mid season before shooting those crows. :lol:

#573 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,024 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:16

Good choice so far....however let us see how Mercedes perform in the development race. I I recall corrrectly, it usually tails off after the European season.

#574 akshay380

akshay380

• 561 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 23:45

http://www.formula1....13/4/14473.html

Good interview by Lewis.
Also he was asked how much contact he has with McLaren. He said when he went to see them, Sam Michael threw him out of garage but Whitmarsh has been great. WTF!

#575 MP422

MP422

• 1,847 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:05

I find this image to be very poignant - http://www.f1fanatic...shan-2013-3.jpg

RB, Ferrari, Lotus, Mclaren and a glimpse of the teammate in the background. Imagine showing this to people on the day/during the immediate aftermath of the decision and telling them it was after just 3 races.

"Sorry sir, but we've run out of the humble pie this evening"

Lovely pic !!

#576 Rob

Rob

• 8,182 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 13:09

Even MS in 96 knew Ferrari were on the up with Todt, Brawn and Byrne etc.

Brawn and Byrne arrived after Schumacher. The 1996 Ferrari was a John Barnard design.

Still find it hard to believe that Brawn progressed to where he is now from his start as a milling machine operator for March. That's one hell of a progression.

#577 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,078 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 18:55

Through 4 races: (JB -) 13 + (Perez -) 10 = 23 23 x 2 = 46 < Lewis - 50

:smoking:

Close thread.

(don't really this is fun)

#578 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,328 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 19:02

He is doing ok, but I doubt very much he will ever win a world championship with them. There is a bigger chance of McLaren having a better car come the end of the season as well.

#579 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,861 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 23:27

He is doing ok, but I doubt very much he will ever win a world championship with them. There is a bigger chance of McLaren having a better car come the end of the season as well.

Who is to say that staying at Mclaren would have awarded him another WDC? Sure the mathematical chance at Mclaren is higher but the probability is still low. Lewis is doing more than OK given that he was expected to be scrapping for minor points but has in fact more points than his former team and more so, he has more points than he had after the first three races of 2012. The equity of his brand has massively jumped now that he's showing that he can drive like a champion even in a midfield car. Although it doesn't mean much at this stage of the season he is third in the championship which is way higher than anyone, including me as a pessimistic fan, anticipated him.

I seriously cannot wait for 2014 which alone is a gamble worth taking for Lewis. It wouldn't surprise me if the W05 is being overfunded and developed like the Brawn of 2009.

Advertisement

#580 Xeriks

Xeriks

• 863 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:28

So what? Hamilton is happy and is currently more competitive than his old team, the same team that went from quickest on the grid to like 6th, I shall repeat it again, regardless of where they finish this season, it definitely wasn't a mistake to join Mercedes.

#581 pdac

pdac

• 825 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:56

So what? Hamilton is happy and is currently more competitive than his old team, the same team that went from quickest on the grid to like 6th, I shall repeat it again, regardless of where they finish this season, it definitely wasn't a mistake to join Mercedes.

Says it all

#582 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,861 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:58

Hamilton: "Some people are nosey, or they've nothing better to do. They're entitled to their opinions, but Jackie talks a lot. It was my worst decision moving to Mercedes and then he flipped it and said we can win the World Championship."
http://www.planetf1....Controls-Me-Now

Plenty of open hearted words from Lewis in his recent interview. I would love for him to release an new autobiography that tells all.

Edited by F1ultimate, 07 May 2013 - 10:58.

#583 CHIUNDA

CHIUNDA

• 809 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:15

Plenty of open hearted words from Lewis in his recent interview. I would love for him to release an new autobiography that tells all.

Doesn't sound like somebody who has learnt anything to me - Lewis should know by now that this kind of statements are not only un-necessary but they earn him no friends - and sometimes when a former driver is looking for targets for a penalty over the weekend, it may help when he is friendly. There is plenty to talk about the car, the team, upgrades and improvements. Bashing former drivers for talking alot makes him no different.

Edited by CHIUNDA, 07 May 2013 - 11:20.

#584 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,861 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:33

Doesn't sound like somebody who has learnt anything to me - Lewis should know by now that this kind of statements are not only un-necessary but they earn him no friends - and sometimes when a former driver is looking for targets for a penalty over the weekend, it may help when he is friendly. There is plenty to talk about the car, the team, upgrades and improvements. Bashing former drivers for talking alot makes him no different.

Well Kimi does a lot of bashing and he has plenty of friends. Beside that Stewart deserve being told off.

#585 swerved

swerved

• 3,615 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:49

:up:

#586 CookinFlatSix

CookinFlatSix

• 364 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:02

Its well within his rights to show some character. Any sportsman who has had to wear the crap from loudmouths like Stewart and Lauda over the years would not be showing a competitive streak by failing to 'beat' has beens who he feels he is now better than.

Its only human, besides it doesnt harm his brand and image to be able to verbally 'see off' past champions. Who wants an alpha racing driver without confidence and a bit of a***hole

Edited by CookinFlatSix, 07 May 2013 - 12:03.

#587 P123

P123

• 8,347 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:04

I agree with you to an extent- he really shouldn't worry about former drivers and what they say. Although he was spot on about them being at one extreme or another with their opinions.

#588 CookinFlatSix

CookinFlatSix

• 364 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:20

Its great hearing Lewis speak his mind. Its what people complain about sometimes about PR restricted drivers. Who cares how it comes across, all that matters is that it is what the fastest driver around thinks and we are lucky to listen.

Like this, some will say he is arrogant or childish blah blah, but its what it is

http://www.mirror.co...d-raced-1872719

And, finally, old school in his attitude towards team orders.

Hamilton starts to grin when he thinks about the scenario playing out in his mind.

Would he drive alongside someone he suspected would flout the team’s instructions?

Sure, he says, because the guy would still have to be better than him to win.

Then he acts out an imaginary conversation between him, as he leads a race, and someone telling him not to worry about the teammate chasing him.

“Turn your engine down,” the voice on the imaginary radio says.

“Er, no,” Hamilton replies.

I wonder which teammate it was that wasnt better than him despite 'help' :rotfl:

#589 CHIUNDA

CHIUNDA

• 809 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:23

... has beens who he feels he is now better than.

Who wants an alpha racing driver without confidence and a bit of a***hole

I doubt Lewis feels he is better than these two - both are three time WDCs and knowing Lewis he would consider their achievements something to emulate rather than think himself better than them. I don't mind the confidence - its just that with such a problematic car as the Mercedes i would expect him to be so busy with the Engineers hunting for performance that he wouldn't have time to remember WTF these two loud mouths have to say about his prospects for the championship. He just sounds distracted with this sort of meaningless comments - not a good thing when you are hunting your 2nd WDC.

Edited by CHIUNDA, 07 May 2013 - 12:46.

#590 CHIUNDA

CHIUNDA

• 809 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:29

Who cares how it comes across,

Not me. But I care that it is keeping him away from more pressing matters. Talking about the car tells you he is focused, looking for performance over the weekend. Not this.

I wonder which teammate it was that wasnt better than him despite 'help' :rotfl:

I actually liked the last two lines

#591 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 14:25

Its what people complain about sometimes about PR restricted drivers.

Who has complained about PR restricted drivers? It's a lame strawman that is brought up every time some driver says something stupid.

#592 dhill39

dhill39

• 418 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 14:33

Why worry about having friends at the race track,he's got that away from the track.I love when people speak their mind,instead of bottling it up,I hope he keeps doing it this way.

Edited by dhill39, 07 May 2013 - 16:47.

#593 kenkip

kenkip

• 464 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 18:59

Well Kimi does a lot of bashing and he has plenty of friends. Beside that Stewart deserve being told off.

+1
Former drivers do some of the worst shit stirring in the recent past,sometimes very unnecessarily.
That said,I think its a very good start for lewis in merc so far.The car is good,he is happy and has definatley matured so much from some of the crap he used to pull in 2007-2008.(hated him then!)
I have a sneaky hunch that Brawn will come up with a rocketship next year and if he continues with this new found attitude I wont mind suporting him as my No 2 driver if Seb and Redbull cant compete!

#594 Zoetrope

Zoetrope

• 1,070 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 21:14

7 races into the season, it was about that time Mercedes started to fade away last year. Whatever happens I can't see them falling behind McLaren anyway :lol:

#595 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,282 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:49

:clap:

#596 travbrad

travbrad

• 619 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:18

He actually went for the Red Bull seat, but was unable to reach a deal with Red Bull to sign him. I'm not taking anything away from Lewis (he is one of the best drivers in F1 right now), but you are fooling yourself if you don't think he tried to join the RBR team.

Edited by travbrad, 09 June 2013 - 08:19.

#597 FastnLoud

FastnLoud

• 749 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 19:40

"Jenson you will get blue flags for Hamilton, blue flags for Hamilton" :rotfl:

With 2014 onwards supposed to be Mercedes best chance of a championship and considering this years Mclaren, could be the best decision he has ever made.

#598 D A

D A

• 888 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 13:51

Doesn't look that bad now!

#599 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,078 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 13:53

I love this thread.

Advertisement

#600 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,861 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 13:57

2013 Season up until Hungary

Pole Positions
HAM: 4 Mclaren: 0

Podiums
HAM: 4 Mclaren: 0

Victories
HAM: 1 Mclaren: 0

Jackie Stewart should eat some humble pie.

Edited by F1ultimate, 28 July 2013 - 13:57.