Photo
* * * - - 15 votes

Lewis @ Mercedes: the biggest mistake of his career?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
916 replies to this topic

Poll: Lewis Hamilton has made a terrible mistake (562 member(s) have cast votes)

You reckon?

1. Nah man, he's gonna be great, relax (255 votes [45.62%])

Percentage of vote: 45.62%

2. He'll probably beat Rosberg, the rest is someone else's responsibility (144 votes [25.76%])

Percentage of vote: 25.76%

3. No biggie, he'll be back at Mclaren in 2016 (46 votes [8.23%])

Percentage of vote: 8.23%

4. OH SHI- (114 votes [20.39%])

Percentage of vote: 20.39%

Vote

#601 Asterion

Asterion

• 549 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 13:59

Laughing his way to victory lane.

Advertisement

#602 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,796 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 13:59

Doesn't look like too much of a mistake now does it.....

#603 HammyHamiltonFan

HammyHamiltonFan

• 186 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 14:11

I think this weekend shows what Lewis can do when Mercedes don't have race pace issues, took pole even with not being happy with his lap and not great practice sessions, and in the race he managed his pace perfectly all the way through.

#604 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,904 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 14:17

Doesn't look like too much of a mistake now does it.....

It is looking better and better, against my original expectations.

A further factor is it would have been a wasted season at McLaren. It is also clear now that McLaren have another couple of transitional seasons ahead of them.

#605 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,876 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 14:27

It is looking better and better, against my original expectations.

A further factor is it would have been a wasted season at McLaren. It is also clear now that McLaren have another couple of transitional seasons ahead of them.

Next year will even be better because then Lewis will be driving a car that designed around his driving style.

For Mclaren life is going to be hard in the next 18 months. At the beginning of the year Button said that the car is suited to him but has hasn't been able to deliver. Will he improve next year? And will Perez mature into a top driver? Mclaren might need to look at lining two new drivers if next year doesn't work out, similar to how they brought in Alonso and Hamilton in 2007.

#606 ivey

ivey

• 145 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 14:28

Next year will even be better because then Lewis will be driving a car that designed around his driving style.

Can you elaborate on that please?

#607 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 14:28

This has got to be the worst decision ever.

#608 Coral

Coral

• 2,807 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 14:32

I said three years ago that Lewis needed to leave McLaren for the sake of his career...and I have been proved right! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Lewis has even got rid of The Curse of the Consecutive GP Win...never before has he won the same race two years running. Now he has. Woo-hoo! :) :) :)

Going to Mercedes is the best move Lewis ever made! :stoned: :stoned: :stoned:

#609 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,164 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 14:35

Then in 2014, Mercedes make a complete mess of the new regulations, followed swiftly by Mercedes pulling out of F1 in 2015. Meanwhile, triple world champion Jenson Button retires from F1...

This question can only be answered at the end of his career.

#610 FastnLoud

FastnLoud

• 766 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 14:37

This could be the worst thread in Autosport history

#611 MP422

MP422

• 1,922 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 14:39

I think Hamilton could still win with the 2013 Mclaren, :p

#612 SR388

SR388

• 3,941 posts

This could be the worst thread in Autosport history

In hindsight. There were a lot of F1 has-beens coming out of the woodworks to question Lewis at the start of the year. It is not just on OP.

#613 FastnLoud

FastnLoud

• 766 posts

Then in 2014, Mercedes make a complete mess of the new regulations, followed swiftly by Mercedes pulling out of F1 in 2015. Meanwhile, triple world champion Jenson Button retires from F1...

I think Mercedes has agreed to give Mclaren all info on the new engine and not try to get any advantage at all in what will be a season about engine power

#614 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 14:40

Yeah Lewis should have decided about moving to Mercedes in about 2022 :p

#615 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 2,191 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 14:51

I was advocating Lewis move to a team like Merc at the beginning of 2012 season and all those who seemed to know "for sure" that it would be a dumb move seem to have disappeared :)

#616 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,876 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 14:52

Can you elaborate on that please?

Although the W04 is a very competent car it's essential designed with input from Rosberg and Schumi. The break supplier is different from the one that Lewis is used to and he's enjoys late braking, so you can imagine him not feeling entirely at home with brakes which don't comply with his braking style. Also worth adding is that the seating position isn't 100% perfect for him in the car either but the tub is homologated and changing brake supplier would be a big task that can involve having to change the suspension design. Lewis even got Merc to reduce the number of buttons on his steering wheel.

He's managing very well and has adapted tot he car but nevertheless having a car designed precisely to your liking makes a huge difference at the top end, especially when going up against a competent driver like Vettel in an Adrian Newey car. So if Lewis i strong this year, we can expect him to be even greater next year.

#617 Asterion

Asterion

• 549 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 14:52

Will the Villeneuve comparisons end too?

#618 blackmme

blackmme

• 466 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 14:55

Will the Villeneuve comparisons end too?

Indeed, one of the biggest long term benefits of this win is the fact that that BS can never be trotted out again! :)

Regards Mike

#619 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 9,030 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 14:58

I said three years ago that Lewis needed to leave McLaren for the sake of his career...and I have been proved right! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Lewis has even got rid of The Curse of the Consecutive GP Win...never before has he won the same race two years running. Now he has. Woo-hoo! :) :) :)

Going to Mercedes is the best move Lewis ever made! :stoned: :stoned: :stoned:

:up: :up: :up: The defending a race win stat really puts a smile on my face. :)

Advertisement

#620 blackmme

blackmme

• 466 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 15:19

I noticed that on the last corner of the penultimate lap Lewis lapped Sergio. I wonder if he allowed himself a very tiny smile?

Regards Mike

#621 P123

P123

• 8,476 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 15:23

All depends on how Mercedes develops; whether they continue to under-achieve. Without a crystal ball it's impossible to say whether it's right or wrong long term, particularly with the new regs. for 2014.

So in conclusion, maybe, maybe not. /thread and onto the next Hamilton topic. ;)

#622 AndriesvanOverbeeke

AndriesvanOverbeeke

• 12 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 15:30

When I made this painting in the winterbreak, I hoped that its story would evolve as the seasons progressed. Today's win contributes a lot, and who knows what's yet to come!

Posted Image

#623 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,088 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 15:32

Great work :up:

#624 Schumacher7

Schumacher7

• 714 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 15:39

Well I couldn't have been more wrong at the start of this thread, thought he was a moron for leaving an established front-running team for one struggling in the midfield but he clearly knew what he was doing.

#625 Coral

Coral

• 2,807 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 15:58

When I made this painting in the winterbreak, I hoped that its story would evolve as the seasons progressed. Today's win contributes a lot, and who knows what's yet to come!

Posted Image

That is beautiful...well done. :up:

Anyway, today proved that Lewis's move to Mercedes has been an absolute triumph. Nothing more to say really... :)

#626 JaredS

JaredS

• 1,142 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 16:04

Posted Image

Love your work. The contrast between the softer left side of his face and the hardened right side. I liked the similar contrast you did with Vettel's face, albeit in a different with cool and heat. I went back and saw some of your other paintings and the Ferrari prancing horse vs Red Bull's charging bull is superb. I would honestly buy that for my games room and pay good money for it too. I don't know why but your paintings have a strangely powerful impact on me. :up:

#627 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,290 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 16:12

I noticed that on the last corner of the penultimate lap Lewis lapped Sergio. I wonder if he allowed himself a very tiny smile?

Regards Mike

Yes I noticed that too.

... and I though about this thread :cat:

#628 Nahnever

Nahnever

• 257 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 16:13

Posted Image

:clap:

#629 JaredS

JaredS

• 1,142 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 16:15

Sorry for going OT, back to the thread well of course it's clear he hasn't made a mistake. But regardless of his win today, I don't think his move was a mistake. The only way it could have been a mistake was if McLaren made a totally dominant car this season and Lewis had left that for a dog. Anything besides that, even if McLaren finished higher in points, and I think the Merc move was a positive.

A positive first of all because it's always better to not expect much and be pleasantly surprised vs expect a great car and be disappointed yet again.

Secondly, there has always been a bit of a negative view of Lewis having jumped straight into the top seat in his rookie year and having been "nurtured" by the team over the years. He really did need to break the mould, for both his sake and I don't think it's an altogether bad thing for McLaren too since they took him for granted as well (as well as him taking them for granted). With the move, Lewis really needed to learn how to work with new engineers, new systems, dial in a new car etc etc. It's interesting and tells a lot that he mentioned several times that getting used to the new steering wheel itself was a challenge. It may seem trivial to us but I think it shows that he knew that McLaren back to front and using the controls in it was second nature. However on the flip side he probably thought he knew it all when in reality, as he is finding out at Merc, there is much more to learn and improve which can only help him in the long term.

For McLaren too, they took his pace and adaptability for granted but also their way of working using simulators and computers etc (which in itself is not a bad thing) but to such a large extent that they didn't nurture or develop or listen to their feedback from their drivers. It's not just Lewis that has said this about McLaren previously but so too did Jenson.

#630 AndriesvanOverbeeke

AndriesvanOverbeeke

• 12 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 16:32

Thanks for the nice words guys! Great to see that I put something in my work that comes across.

I think the end of the season will be epic. Let's be positive about the summer break: at least Vettels nervousness has a lot of time to grow & evolve.

#631 Risil

Risil

• 14,105 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 18:27

In hindsight. There were a lot of F1 has-beens coming out of the woodworks to question Lewis at the start of the year. It is not just on OP.

Looking back, I spent most of the OP explaining why the move might work...

But I'm glad it turned into the second most controversial thread of my Autosport career.

Edited by Risil, 28 July 2013 - 18:27.

#632 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,876 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 18:44

Lewis victory can spell more trouble for Mclaren if they don't win this year. They might face an exodus of skilled staff who heads off to Merc to join Lewis and Paddy. Right now Mclaren has the weakest driving pairing in a very long time and that can't be motivating for engineers who see their work not getting exploited.

#633 KiloWatt

KiloWatt

• 1,204 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 19:00

Lewis victory can spell more trouble for Mclaren if they don't win this year. They might face an exodus of skilled staff who heads off to Merc to join Lewis and Paddy. Right now Mclaren has the weakest driving pairing in a very long time and that can't be motivating for engineers who see their work not getting exploited.

As a matter of fact, I believe it has already started. Even before Lewis was announced in fact. Don't know how much some of you followed the team last year, but it was very well known that merc were hiring like crazy. Apparently they offered some really attractive salaries and a guy in the McLaren car thread (he appeared to be well respected in the thread and well connected in the industry) mentioned last year that a number of colleagues were on their way to Mercedes.

#634 g1n

g1n

• 877 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 19:07

Well I couldn't have been more wrong at the start of this thread, thought he was a moron for leaving an established front-running team for one struggling in the midfield but he clearly knew what he was doing.

Nah, go watch his interviews pre season, he was expecting a bad car and he wanted a new challenge. There was no genius decision behind it, the fact that Mclaren are struggling and Mercedes is wining all of a sudden is a great surprise to all, including Hamilton.

#635 joegsmro

joegsmro

• 25 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 19:19

It is all about the money ... just watch williams or the other midfield teams strugling for getting sponsors. It was the best choice by Lewis , Mercedes is a factory team with great economical potential.

#636 7MGTEsup

7MGTEsup

• 384 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 19:31

It looked like a bad move on paper at the time. We have seen drivers in the past make a decision that looked good at the time but didn't turn out that way. Who would have though when Jean Alesi signed for Ferrari in mid 1990 things would have turned out how they did? No one can see into the future so you makes your choice and takes your chance.

#637 danmills

danmills

• 192 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 22:34

Couldn't stand Lewis at McLaren.

At Mercedes, he has kept quiet, and comes across humble.

Gone are the arrogant and over-enthusiastic mannerisms.

Grown to appreciate the mature LH a lot.

Very pleased for the guy today.

#638 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,799 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 22:48

Yes I noticed that too.

... and I though about this thread :cat:

i did too :clap: :lol:

#639 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,799 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 22:49

Posted Image

thats great, also looks like ferrari red :cat:

Advertisement

#640 GiancarloF1

GiancarloF1

• 925 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 22:58

I liked the move from the get go. Hamilton had to leave that sore loser team for his own sake. While the gap between Mercedes and McLaren is a lot bigger than I expected pre-season, it's really not that surprising given Hamilton's ability of driving well in any type of car.

And btw. he starts to destroy Rosberg on a regular basis. :up:

Edited by GiancarloF1, 28 July 2013 - 22:59.

#641 911

• 2,208 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 00:43

You are definitely not the only that thought this!

#642 Mendel

Mendel

• 148 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:09

+1

I used to think a lot of his success was somehow down to luck. I´m starting to have to admit: the kid can drive and his personality seems to have changed for the better too.

#643 f1fan1998

f1fan1998

• 292 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:11

I look at this thread title and I smirk with the ironic memory of him crossing the line yesterday to take victory having just lapped his car driven by Perez.

Yeh. Big mistake moving teams.

#644 Mercedestorque1

Mercedestorque1

• 220 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:17

+1

I used to think a lot of his success was somehow down to luck. I´m starting to have to admit: the kid can drive and his personality seems to have changed for the better too.

there's just something excitingly different about hamiltons victories!cant put my finger on it! :)

#645 danmills

danmills

• 192 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 13:09

He needs to marry Nicole now, and then his mentality will settle.

#646 Spoch

Spoch

• 222 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 22:05

I was advocating Lewis move to a team like Merc at the beginning of 2012 season and all those who seemed to know "for sure" that it would be a dumb move seem to have disappeared :)

In 2012, it would have been a really dumb move

#647 chrcol

chrcol

• 1,010 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 22:34

he had to ditch mclaren, whitmarsh is no leader sadly. mclaren seems on the decline.

merc was a gamble but it had lauda ex driver, and brawn good leader in place plus been a factory team.

#648 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 4,431 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 22:38

In 2012, it would have been a really dumb move

After what they did to his championship in 2012 I don't think he had much choice. Really happy that things are going as well as they are.

#649 ForzaGTR

ForzaGTR

• 3,038 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 23:27

Nah, go watch his interviews pre season, he was expecting a bad car and he wanted a new challenge. There was no genius decision behind it, the fact that Mclaren are struggling and Mercedes is wining all of a sudden is a great surprise to all, including Hamilton.

I think it's likely he knew Mclaren would struggle. We'll probably never know the full truth but I suspect he gained an inkling into where the team and car development are heading, all of which helped him to decide to leave. On paper Mercedes could be a stronger team than Mclaren, funding wise and of course being an engine manufacturer. I'm sure Mercedes wins this season are a welcome surprise to him, but by joining Merc I think he took an educated risk that they would be a real force in the future, more so than Mclaren.

I can see Mclaren struggling next year too as they make the transition from Merc to Honda engines, whilst of course Mercedes have no such headache.

Edited by Olly F1, 29 July 2013 - 23:31.

#650 g1n

g1n

• 877 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 23:41

It is like watching one of your own growing up :D although mine is only 13 months old :)

I look at this thread title and I smirk with the ironic memory of him crossing the line yesterday to take victory having just lapped his car driven by Perez.

Yeh. Big mistake moving teams.

Nobody (and I mean people involved with both teams, not just random people on here) knew this will be the case at the time, so lets not pretend that this was somehow a genius tactical decision. Don't get me wrong though, I like this little surprise.

Edited by g1n, 29 July 2013 - 23:46.