Photo
* * * - - 15 votes

Lewis @ Mercedes: the biggest mistake of his career?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
916 replies to this topic

Poll: Lewis Hamilton has made a terrible mistake (562 member(s) have cast votes)

You reckon?

1. Nah man, he's gonna be great, relax (255 votes [45.62%])

Percentage of vote: 45.62%

2. He'll probably beat Rosberg, the rest is someone else's responsibility (144 votes [25.76%])

Percentage of vote: 25.76%

3. No biggie, he'll be back at Mclaren in 2016 (46 votes [8.23%])

Percentage of vote: 8.23%

4. OH SHI- (114 votes [20.39%])

Percentage of vote: 20.39%

Vote

#51 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,097 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 17:44

As an F1 driver a WDC wont make you a legend, but the years before and after your WDC will. No doubt leaving Mclaren is a risk but one that will be rewarding for Lewis from all aspects if he finds success at the team. It's something that had to be done, leave for a different challenge than just winning races but instead help build a team to succeed. For Lewis that is a better use of his time and telent than remain with a team that almost wins every year but doesn't.

Jenson's move to McLaren ("the lion's den") made him more of a legend then his WDC in 2009 - so yes, the logic is there and I am sure Niki Lauda played on that theme when he convinced Lewis.

Advertisement

#52 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,453 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 17:51

Jenson's move to McLaren ("the lion's den") made him more of a legend then his WDC in 2009 - so yes, the logic is there and I am sure Niki Lauda played on that theme when he convinced Lewis.

I don't think Lauda convinced him of anything. The decision was made before Lauda joined the team.

#53 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 18:05

I don't think Lauda convinced him of anything. The decision was made before Lauda joined the team.

Didn't Niki visit Lewis's hotel room over the Singapore weekend? Not saying he is responsible for it but he might of convinced him of Merc's intentions & had some, however small, influence of his eventual decision.

#54 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,453 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 18:09

Didn't Niki visit Lewis's hotel room over the Singapore weekend? Not saying he is responsible for it but he might of convinced him of Merc's intentions & had some, however small, influence of his eventual decision.

He might well have done, but the decision was made before then.

EJ had told the world LH was moving several weeks before. He wasn't guessing when he made that announcement, even though most thought it was idle speculation with no element of truth.

#55 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 18:21

He might well have done, but the decision was made before then.

EJ had told the world LH was moving several weeks before. He wasn't guessing when he made that announcement, even though most thought it was idle speculation with no element of truth.

Lewis said in an interview with Sky (Saw it on Mclaren's season review earlier) that he didn't make his mind up until just after Singapore, thats when he phoned Martin to tell him he was leaving and consequentially Martin phoned Checo to tell him the deal was on. EJ was tipped off (best bet being Bernie) by somebody that Lewis was talking to Mercedes but by no means was the deal agreed when EJ "announced" it, eddie was just used as a puppet to try and put pressure on those involved to get a deal done with the extra publicity that inevitably came.

#56 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 18:32

Even if the Merc should be a bad car, his talent will shine even more, so whatever happens will be good for Lewis and will help to establish him even more as the greatest current F1 driver.

#57 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,453 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 19:14

Lewis said in an interview with Sky (Saw it on Mclaren's season review earlier) that he didn't make his mind up until just after Singapore, thats when he phoned Martin to tell him he was leaving and consequentially Martin phoned Checo to tell him the deal was on. EJ was tipped off (best bet being Bernie) by somebody that Lewis was talking to Mercedes but by no means was the deal agreed when EJ "announced" it, eddie was just used as a puppet to try and put pressure on those involved to get a deal done with the extra publicity that inevitably came.

The contract may not have been signed, but IMHO the decision was already made and Lauda did not have any influence.

#58 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,453 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 19:18

Even if the Merc should be a bad car, his talent will shine even more, so whatever happens will be good for Lewis and will help to establish him even more as the greatest current F1 driver.

Disagree. He will or should be remembered as a great, but the stats will always push him down the greatest list, no matter how much the alternative universe people play the what might have been cards.

#59 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,739 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 20:02

Disagree. He will or should be remembered as a great, but the stats will always push him down the greatest list, no matter how much the alternative universe people play the what might have been cards.

If there is one thing that is good for Lewis right now, its the stats.

Advertisement

#60 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,990 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 20:09

Among F1 fans, you are always going to have a debate about who is 'greatest' - but he has already established a legacy and I think that is what matters. The more he wins, the more that legacy will be extended.

#61 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 20:09

LOL the stats of his last 3 years contra Jenson Button and a certain Sebastian Vettel's incredible stats don't approve of this message :lol:

The boy has to start winning championships soon or he'll be a Villeneuve 2.0

#62 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,739 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 20:14

Among F1 fans, you are always going to have a debate about who is 'greatest' - but he has already established a legacy and I think that is what matters. The more he wins, the more that legacy will be extended.

Precisely. Legacies are determined by luck as well as talent and with Lewis the talent is as evident as ever regardless of whether he has the best car every season. No team or driver remains at the top forever and they have to accept rivals will hit luck every so often. If Vettel goes into a 5 season run of not winning a championship, I doubt many will question his talent, much like Alonso has kept his reputation and so has Lewis. They are top drivers regardless.

Edited by tifosiMac, 01 January 2013 - 20:15.

#63 bub

bub

• 2,480 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 20:21

I get what you're saying. Alonso got huge credit for performing so well in a not so great car this past season whereas when Vettel wins people just say he had the best car.

LOL the stats of his last 3 years contra Jenson Button and a certain Sebastian Vettel's incredible stats don't approve of this message :lol:

The boy has to start winning championships soon or he'll be a Villeneuve 2.0

Hamilton still has very good stats. Vettel stats don't change that.

Edited by bub, 01 January 2013 - 20:22.

#64 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 20:26

Could not agree more. :up:

#65 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 20:29

Hamilton still has very good stats. Vettel stats don't change that.

Hamilton's just look pale in comparison, that's all.

Lewis needs to start winning championships or he'll be categorized in F1 history with the likes of Damon Hill or Jacques
I very much doubt the move to Mercedes will do anything positive for his stats.

#66 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,767 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 20:34

Lewis had really impressive stats in his first 2 years. The last 4 have not been impressive at all.

#67 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,739 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 20:38

Lewis had really impressive stats in his first 2 years. The last 4 have not been impressive at all.

But there has never been any question about his ability, that's what I am saying. He's still amongst the best drivers on the grid and the fact Vettel has had a great run in the last three years does not change that. The stats of the last 3 years might not look as good as his first 2 season's, but Lewis has still been impressive with what he has been given. With exception to a poor 5 or so races in 2011 he's been consistently fast and his thirst for victories has never slipped. I don't feel the past 3 years has damaged the perception of his ability a single bit.

#68 bub

bub

• 2,480 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 20:43

Hamilton's just look pale in comparison, that's all.

So do most drivers in the history of F1. It's rare to have the kind of success Vettel has enjoyed

Lewis needs to start winning championships or he'll be categorized in F1 history with the likes of Damon Hill or Jacques

I very much doubt that. It hasn't happened with Alonso, why would it happen with Hamilton?

#69 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,739 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 20:49

So do most drivers in the history of F1. It's rare to have the kind of success Vettel has enjoyed

Indeed, Vettel is only the third driver in history to have three consecutive WDC's. I think people are getting a little lost in his stats when comparing him to others drivers. Vettel has worked hard, but has also had a gift no other driver recently has had. Its a team sport and a team effort and Seb has a fantastic team behind him. It doesn't mean he's the outright best and setting the bar IMO. There are some great drivers on the grid right now and its difficult to call who is the best regardless of what the stats say.

I very much doubt that. It hasn't happened with Alonso, why would it happen with Hamilton?

Quite. Alonso has gone a long time without a championship yet his ability is still held in high regard and rightly so. I think Lewis gets more stick because of off track issues that carry influence.

#70 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 20:55

I agree Seb has been exceptional
However to say that Hamilton's stats are what's good for him after been completely blown out of the water stats-wise by Vettel and being defeated points-wise by Button over the last 3 years is just plain silly/dumb.

He's a very good driver and if the Mercedes gamble pays off he might be considered up there with the true greats but until now meh... and really based on the performance of the Honda 2.0 team so far I doubt his stats will improve any time soon

#71 P123

P123

• 8,491 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 20:56

Yeah, kind of goes with car competitiveness (eg Vettel only scoring 1 victory in the same races that he gathered 8 wins in '11). '09 half the year was wasted, '10 and '11 were good cars, but not quite there with Red Bull, and not on the level of the '07 and '08 cars he drove when compared to the competition; and 2012 was largely wasted not by his own doing. Look at Alonso, I guess from a pure statistical view his last few years have not been impressive at all. 18 victories in a 3 year period, but since '07 only another 11. I doubt many would have expected that. Competitiveness changes all the time, and that will drive the stats.

#72 P123

P123

• 8,491 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 21:01

I agree Seb has been exceptional
However to say that Hamilton's stats are what's good for him after been completely blown out of the water stats-wise by Vettel and being defeated points-wise by Button over the last 3 years is just plain silly/dumb.

He's a very good driver and if the Mercedes gamble pays off he might be considered up there with the true greats but until now meh... and really based on the performance of the Honda 2.0 team so far I doubt his stats will improve any time soon

Hamilton hasn't been driving a Red Bull. Of course, Vettel has blown everybody out of the water stats wise in the last few years. Hamilton follows him in terms of wins/ poles since '09, but Vettel is pretty much head and shoulders ahead of them all stats-wise. It looks good for Vettel to keep accumulating.

#73 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,739 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 21:01

If Hamilton wins just one more championship in his career, it'll still be an impressive stat and a successful career. I know some fans get off on stats or follow drivers simply because they like to support a consistent winner, but its not the same for everybody and sometimes its nice to appreciate talent for what it is. Hamilton is one of the best and may never beat Vettel in the stat tables, but so what? It doesn't bother me and its not the reason I watch.

#74 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,453 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 21:04

Not really. In years to come people will look at the WDC's not individual results. He is already being well and truly outshone by Vettel and that is hurting him.

#75 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,453 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 21:08

If Hamilton wins just one more championship in his career, it'll still be an impressive stat and a successful career. I know some fans get off on stats or follow drivers simply because they like to support a consistent winner, but its not the same for everybody and sometimes its nice to appreciate talent for what it is. Hamilton is one of the best and may never beat Vettel in the stat tables, but so what? It doesn't bother me and its not the reason I watch.

It doesn't bother me either, but when people talk about the greatest of their generation then the WDC's will count.

#76 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 21:10

I'm not claiming that Mercedes won't succeed - none of us can be sure one way or the other. However, what is the source for such confidence that they will succeed? I suggest that it cannot rest merely on Ross Brawn's reputation, since the impact of Ross (and MS, Rory Byrne and Jean Todt) at Ferrari was much quicker. Ferrari were properly competitive by 1997 and stayed competitive for a decade (I am discounting the Brawn 2009 year since, as things stand, it is an outlier). All losing teams undergo restructuring, usually to no effect. Again, I am not making a definitive prediction, just expressing some doubt.

Maybe the turbo Mercedes engine will be the saviour, who knows?

What confidence? I think you misunderstand. I was questioning your confidence in their NOT succeeding. I wasn't putting forth any confidence in their succeeding. I'm quite neutral at this point. I just don't see where it's necessarily a mistake that he has made. Only time will tell. There seems to be some confidence in that he did make a mistake and this is what this thread is largely about, isn't it?

#77 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 21:15

Hamilton hasn't been driving a Red Bull. Of course, Vettel has blown everybody out of the water stats wise in the last few years. Hamilton follows him in terms of wins/ poles since '09, but Vettel is pretty much head and shoulders ahead of them all stats-wise. It looks good for Vettel to keep accumulating.

No problem with that, Seb Vettel has been (a vital) part of the incredible Red Bull team and that has paid off.

I was merely pointing out that stating the stats are what is Lewis has really going for him is silly, if not dumb.
He has been outshone in nearly every department by Seb and lost on points over 3 years to his teammate.

Biggest mistake of his career I think not, but really I can't see how his 3 year stint at Mercedes would improve his stats or be more advantageous to his career than staying with McLaren, apart from the "becoming his own man" thingy.

#78 P123

P123

• 8,491 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 21:16

Not really. In years to come people will look at the WDC's not individual results. He is already being well and truly outshone by Vettel and that is hurting him.

They've both got aorund another 10 years in F1, maybe more. And there's that guy called Alonso. I've no idea how the championships will fall over the next decade. WDCs are very important, but not always a career defining factor- have a look at most 'Top 100' driver lists.

#79 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,907 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 21:18

Quite. Alonso has gone a long time without a championship yet his ability is still held in high regard and rightly so. I think Lewis gets more stick because of off track issues that carry influence.

Hmmm. Part of the reason Alonso has been getting credit is that he has been able to challenge for championships down to the wire in 2010 and 2012. He did not get much acknowledgement in 2011 even though he was also maximising his opportunities, or in 2009 for that matter. My point is that Lewis will need to periodically be part of the championship battle, even if he does not win it, for these next years to contribute to his overall legacy. By the end of this contract, if fulfilled, there will have been seven seasons since his 2008 WDC.

Advertisement

#80 P123

P123

• 8,491 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 21:19

No problem with that, Seb Vettel has been (a vital) part of the incredible Red Bull team and that has paid off.

I was merely pointing out that stating the stats are what is Lewis has really going for him is silly, if not dumb.
He has been outshone in nearly every department by Seb and lost on points over 3 years to his teammate.

Biggest mistake of his career I think not, but really I can't see how his 3 year stint at Mercedes would improve his stats or be more advantageous to his career than staying with McLaren, apart from the "becoming his own man" thingy.

I agree that on past performance Merc looks highly unlikely to add much to his stats apart from race starts, but he still has an impressive level of wins/poles/ etc for 110 races. Vettel's, for now, are just that bit more impressive.

#81 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,767 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 21:20

Yeah, kind of goes with car competitiveness (eg Vettel only scoring 1 victory in the same races that he gathered 8 wins in '11). '09 half the year was wasted, '10 and '11 were good cars, but not quite there with Red Bull, and not on the level of the '07 and '08 cars he drove when compared to the competition; and 2012 was largely wasted not by his own doing. Look at Alonso, I guess from a pure statistical view his last few years have not been impressive at all. 18 victories in a 3 year period, but since '07 only another 11. I doubt many would have expected that. Competitiveness changes all the time, and that will drive the stats.

Sure but someone was trying to say Hamilton's stats speak for themselves. His stats have been less than impressive over the last 4 years. In a way he is a victim of his own success stat wise from his first 2 years. His first two years were monsters and that is what built the initial "Lewis mania".

Alonso's stat's have been up and down over a long career, however his 33 podiums in the last 3 years compared to Lewis's 22 is one reason Alonso is held in high regard.

You can say Vettel has the Red Bull but you can also say that other driver's haven't gotten to drive for a team like McLaren their whole career either.

Again...my point was about stat's which I have never claimed to be the whole story. Peace.

#82 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,907 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 21:21

What confidence? I think you misunderstand. I was questioning your confidence in their NOT succeeding. I wasn't putting forth any confidence in their succeeding. I'm quite neutral at this point. I just don't see where it's necessarily a mistake that he has made. Only time will tell. There seems to be some confidence in that he did make a mistake and this is what this thread is largely about, isn't it?

Where did you get the idea that I am confident they won't suceed? I have been quite clear in several posts that I consider it possible that this venture will be a success.

#83 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,739 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 21:24

It doesn't bother me either, but when people talk about the greatest of their generation then the WDC's will count.

I think previous era's have proved that the driver with the most championships isn't necessarily the driver who is remembered as the greatest. It depends who you ask of course. I know in years to come I will be educating my children and grandchildren about my experiences with F1 and Hamilton will be promoted as one of the best of his generation in my view. I was always a fan of Senna yet his stats are inferior when compared to era's since. He is still arguably the greatest racing driver alongside Jim Clark for many. I think those who just look at results rather than the story behind it are shallow in their support and you have to ask yourself whether you would seriously waste your time engaging in a conversation about such a complex topic if thats their approach? Vettel is racking up the stats in a comfortable position but that doesn't mean his rivals are lacking in ability. It took Button 9 years to start winning consistently yet he is a good driver who needed a break. Alonso hasn't won a championship for 6 years yet he's still one of the best. Personally even though I'm a Hamilton fan I think it'll be Fernando who is recognised as the driver of this generation even if the stats are not on his side. He's proven to be great in whatever car he sits in. You can look at the record books all you like to form you own opinions but its not the same for everybody.

#84 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,739 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 21:26

Hmmm. Part of the reason Alonso has been getting credit is that he has been able to challenge for championships down to the wire in 2010 and 2012. He did not get much acknowledgement in 2011 even though he was also maximising his opportunities, or in 2009 for that matter. My point is that Lewis will need to periodically be part of the championship battle, even if he does not win it, for these next years to contribute to his overall legacy. By the end of this contract, if fulfilled, there will have been seven seasons since his 2008 WDC.

If Lewis continues to win races and show his value I don't think he'll have much to worry about. Championships will be a bonus at Mercedes.

#85 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 21:30

If Lewis continues to win races and show his value I don't think he'll have much to worry about. Championships will be an bonus illusion at Mercedes.

Fixed that for ya ;)

#86 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,291 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 21:31

Are you people serious?? .... stats?... how will the move affect his stats?? ....is that what people are focussing on now?

Really???

Edited by jjcale, 01 January 2013 - 21:36.

#87 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,907 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 21:35

If Lewis continues to win races and show his value I don't think he'll have much to worry about. Championships will be a bonus at Mercedes.

Race wins are good and would be part of the legacy, of course. That is more or less the position that Button and Raikkonen are in at the moment, and I don't doubt that their wins in 2012 will sit well with their fans. However, if a driver goes a few years without being considered a threat for the championship, then surely his profile would drop. Other drivers, including some new ones, would have the opportunity to show their mettle in tight championship battles (as has been happening with Vettel, for example) while Lewis wouldn't be part of the story (like MS in recent years, for example).

#88 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 21:36

Tyrell have signed a great driver.

#89 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 21:38

I agree that on past performance Merc looks highly unlikely to add much to his stats apart from race starts, but he still has an impressive level of wins/poles/ etc for 110 races. Vettel's, for now, are just that bit more impressive.

I don't think we disagree very much, Lewis' stats are very very good but boasting that those are what he has going for him is rather silly in the light of what has transpired the last few years.
Especially as those stats are especially lopsided towards his 2007 and 2008 season.

As for the Mercedes years who knows, Brawn's design will be the deciding factor on that and he has pulled it off before.

#90 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,453 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 21:42

I think previous era's have proved that the driver with the most championships isn't necessarily the driver who is remembered as the greatest. It depends who you ask of course. I know in years to come I will be educating my children and grandchildren about my experiences with F1 and Hamilton will be promoted as one of the best of his generation in my view. I was always a fan of Senna yet his stats are inferior when compared to era's since. He is still arguably the greatest racing driver alongside Jim Clark for many. I think those who just look at results rather than the story behind it are shallow in their support and you have to ask yourself whether you would seriously waste your time engaging in a conversation about such a complex topic if thats their approach? Vettel is racking up the stats in a comfortable position but that doesn't mean his rivals are lacking in ability. It took Button 9 years to start winning consistently yet he is a good driver who needed a break. Alonso hasn't won a championship for 6 years yet he's still one of the best. Personally even though I'm a Hamilton fan I think it'll be Fernando who is recognised as the driver of this generation even if the stats are not on his side. He's proven to be great in whatever car he sits in. You can look at the record books all you like to form you own opinions but its not the same for everybody.

I agree with you, but the earlier post (not yours) said the greatest, and that's what I was referring to.

#91 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,453 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 21:43

I don't think we disagree very much, Lewis' stats are very very good but boasting that those are what he has going for him is rather silly in the light of what has transpired the last few years.
Especially as those stats are especially lopsided towards his 2007 and 2008 season.

As for the Mercedes years who knows, Brawn's design will be the deciding factor on that and he has pulled it off before.

Brawn isn't the designer.

#92 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 22:26

I guess Lewis did a greatest gamble of his life. Looking forward!

#93 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,711 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 22:38

I guess Lewis did a greatest gamble of his life. Looking forward!

Which means, sadly, that you( and some of his 'fans' too), are seriously underestimating him.

Edited by Szoelloe, 01 January 2013 - 22:48.

#94 r4mses

r4mses

• 1,100 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 22:45

Ye, Mercedes surely doesn't intend to win championships and puts a whole lot of money in F1 just for the fun of it... titles would be nice, but they don't aim for them.

...not sure if...

#95 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,824 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 23:39

I don't think it was a mistake, but it was a necessary step. He'll drive for Mercedes, maybe have some wins, if they can sort their problems out he'll get a championship, but importantly he will have stepped out from the shadow of McLaren where his career as a child and adolescent have always played a huge part in how they treat him. The stats are entirely secondary to this.

It could be that Mercedes do not build a decent car. Lewis will be one of the monkeys at the back for three years and he will still be brilliant. He'll learn to deal with being lapped every weekend, cope with the first corner chaos, make long strategies work, exercise patience and have to dig deep for motivation every time he steps into the shitbox.

I can see Lewis going back to McLaren in due course but be there on his terms, as an agent for himself and his own image. This move will be positive for him and when he returns to the front, with all of these skills learned, he's going to be scarily good.

#96 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,711 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 23:46

I don't think it was a mistake, but it was a necessary step. He'll drive for Mercedes, maybe have some wins, if they can sort their problems out he'll get a championship, but importantly he will have stepped out from the shadow of Mercedes where his career as a child and adolescent have always played a huge part in how they treat him. The stats are entirely secondary to this.

It could be that Mercedes do not build a decent car. Lewis will be one of the monkeys at the back for three years and he will still be brilliant. He'll learn to deal with being lapped every weekend, cope with the first corner chaos, make long strategies work, exercise patience and have to dig deep for motivation every time he steps into the shitbox.

I can see Lewis going back to McLaren in due course but be there on his terms, as an agent for himself and his own image. This move will be positive for him and when he returns to the front, with all of these skills learned, he's going to be scarily good.

I assume you meant Mclaren?

#97 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,907 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 23:47

I don't think it was a mistake, but it was a necessary step. He'll drive for Mercedes, maybe have some wins, if they can sort their problems out he'll get a championship, but importantly he will have stepped out from the shadow of Mercedes where his career as a child and adolescent have always played a huge part in how they treat him. The stats are entirely secondary to this.

You mean McLaren.

I agree about returning to McLaren and it will be interesting to see if the Mercedes time can be such a valuable development experience. The talent is there and I can see him having further periods of success in the future.

#98 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,824 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 23:48

I assume you meant Mclaren?

You mean McLaren.

I do.

#99 Rikhart

Rikhart

• 581 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 23:50

Or maybe completely deflated from 3 (?) years in the midfield, it could perfectly go either way... This has the potencial to ruin his career/motivation.

Advertisement

#100 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,711 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 00:06

I agree about returning to McLaren and it will be interesting to see if the Mercedes time can be such a valuable development experience. The talent is there and I can see him having further periods of success in the future.

I don't. If the Mercedes adventure turns out to be successful, it is highly unlikely IMHO. He is entering a totally different environment and approach to racing. He will have to work his ass off, Brawn will make him do that, because he is used to it. He will be more involved, and will be encouraged to be proactive. If he proves to be a fit, I don't think he will go back. That's just my 2 cents though.