* * * * - 17 votes

Robert Kubica's road to recovery

• Please log in to reply
710 replies to this topic

#1 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,138 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 14:48

Having started competing in WRC2 and ERC this year, Robert Kubica's road to a potential F1 (or other form of sport) recovery seems very much underway. Please use this thread to discuss this.

"What should I discuss here?"

- Will he be able to return to F1? Will he stick to rallying, or maybe some other racing series? Which choice will be good for him? etc
- Any tests and similar activities he participates in
- Rumors about his health, career opportunities etc.

"What about Robert's rallying this year?"
Please do join us at the rallying thread! If you're making a point about how rallying is related to Robert's road to recovery then do feel free to post it here, but otherwise let's keep such discussion in the rallying thread - you will certainly be in good company there.

Hope that clears everything up!

Edited by Muppetmad, 24 June 2013 - 20:13.

Advertisement

#2 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 4,763 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:02

alexander wurz@alex_wurz
Drift day with Walter Roehrl, Robert Kubica, @Susie_Wolff, Franz Wurz and me... Good 2nd day of 2013 .... :-) + :-)

#3 cravenciak

cravenciak

• 1,107 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 13:36

http://en.wikipedia....pionship_season

dafuq?

#4 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 4,763 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 13:45

what do you mean?

#5 cravenciak

cravenciak

• 1,107 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 13:47

Check selected entries. No idea from where this came from.

Edited by cravenciak, 02 January 2013 - 13:48.

#6 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 4,763 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 13:49

I mean... wikipedia is well known for being a reliable source :drunk: And as a confirmation there is a quote, that Robert will not particiate in Janner. From old autosport article. I wouldn't pay any attention to that at all.

any news will be first @autosport, and then on wikipedia IMO;)

#7 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 2,405 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 16:10

alexander wurz@alex_wurz
Drift day with Walter Roehrl, Robert Kubica, @Susie_Wolff, Franz Wurz and me... Good 2nd day of 2013 .... :-) + :-)

;)
Any more info about this?

BTW Röhrl not Roehrl.

#8 Anja

Anja

• 10,283 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 16:59

http://en.wikipedia....pionship_season

dafuq?

Anyone can edit wikipedia, it's next to useless when it comes to news confirmation.

#9 Ulysses777

Ulysses777

• 64 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 17:00

BTW Röhrl not Roehrl.

That's been copied from here, for starters, and 'oe' is a legitimate substitute for 'ö'.

#10 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,138 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 17:04

I wonder what surface they're doing the drifting on? It might be a good excuse for Robert doing some dirt/gravel testing.

Edited by Muppetmad, 02 January 2013 - 17:05.

#11 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,236 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 17:07

While it is increasingly clear Kubica will never drive in another Grand Prix, it is good to see he's making some progress towards a return to rallying.

#12 cravenciak

cravenciak

• 1,107 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 17:21

I wonder what surface they're doing the drifting on? It might be a good excuse for Robert doing some dirt/gravel testing.

alexander wurz ‏@alex_wurz
Super cool ice drift day, here in Saalfelden, Hotel Brandlhof, OeAMTC road safety centre! Sideways none stop !

So.. Robert is in Austria, just one day before Janner Rallye. M-Sport announcement soon?

Edited by cravenciak, 02 January 2013 - 17:23.

#13 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 4,763 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 18:31

now this is some proper rumour :up:

#14 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 18:33

While it is increasingly clear Kubica will never drive in another Grand Prix, it is good to see he's making some progress towards a return to rallying.

So what is it about rallying that makes it so much more feasible for Kubica than F1?

#15 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 4,763 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 18:36

more space in the car, he can't rotate his arm enough to fit in a single seater at the moment.

Edited by MadYarpen, 02 January 2013 - 18:40.

#16 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 18:44

more space in the car, he can't rotate his arm to fit in a single seater at the moment.

At the moment? Does that mean there's a possibility of it in the near future? Is everything else alright? Like, if he can fit into a car, is there anything else that he wouldn't be able to do(or do well)? He's only been out of the sport for two years now. 2013 will mark his 3rd year out, which isn't too long away. He still seems to have a knack for this driving stuff.

Just really want him back in F1.

#17 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 4,763 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 18:48

At the moment? Does that mean there's a possibility of it in the near future? Is everything else alright? Like, if he can fit into a car, is there anything else that he wouldn't be able to do(or do well)? He's only been out of the sport for two years now. 2013 will mark his 3rd year out, which isn't too long away. He still seems to have a knack for this driving stuff.

according to him, and as I think it is generally assumed, his arm is the only thing between RK and single seaters. his elbow and wrist to be precise. if it is possible no one knows - he already had many suregries, i guess only his doctor could estimate if he can regain enough mobility...

Edited by MadYarpen, 02 January 2013 - 18:49.

#18 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 19:23

Susie Wolff

This guy super impressive in a rally car, even more impressive was the fact he was willing to be my co-driver. Brave man.

Posted Image

http://www.facebook....281657948571692

#19 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 4,763 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 20:04

https://www.facebook...129691133860144

Advertisement

#20 cravenciak

cravenciak

• 1,107 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 20:29

Let's make it this way:

Posted Image

Edited by cravenciak, 02 January 2013 - 20:32.

#21 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 7,238 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 22:57

Alex Wurz looks way taller than I remember him.

#22 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 2,405 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 23:00

That's been copied from here, for starters, and 'oe' is a legitimate substitute for 'ö'.

I know where it came from. Never seen his surname being spelled in such way, but if you say so :) And to think I used to learn German (which doesn't mean I actually learned it :| )

Anyway good to hear that Robert is doing some driving on the more slippery stuff :) Some coaching from the master will be helpful as well!

BTW is that Toto Wolf next to Robert?

Edited by DrProzac, 02 January 2013 - 23:01.

#23 fullthrottle

fullthrottle

• 489 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 23:37

BTW is that Toto Wolf next to Robert?

yes

#24 Zoetrope

Zoetrope

• 1,408 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 00:35

Just realised Toto and Susie are married hehe

#25 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:59

Same here - Robert belongs in F1. Only - 2011, 2012 and now 2013 away from the top echelon - it will not become easier if he loses another year. Seeing his right hand I sadly doubt he will ever be able to operate within the tiny confines of an F1 cockpit again....

#26 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:03

Posted Image

Great to see Walter Röhrl - the grand seigneur of rallying!

Nice group of personalities, each of them great in their own right - and interesting how they found together in this combination.

#27 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 2,405 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 19:12

I wonder how many flies did Walter catch on his side window :D

#28 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 18:10

Errrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Posted Image

Via http://wtf1.co.uk/

#29 GrzegorzChyla

GrzegorzChyla

• 400 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 19:19

Errrrrrrrrrrrrr...

I checked at www.herby.com.pl that at the beginning of 1990s there were 7966 Kubicas in Poland, I assume several of them were Robert. The photo above is one of them, I once saw an interview with him.

#30 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 2,856 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 19:36

So what is it about rallying that makes it so much more feasible for Kubica than F1?

Adaptation of controls means that controls can be moved to his non injured hand. He only needs minimal grasp on the injured side to grasp the steering wheel. Kubica lacks the fine dexterity of key pinch grip and fine grip required for an F1 car. Enough time has passed to state that Kubica has got the maximum recovery from the injured limb. The sad fact is the type of injury he sustained meant he would never return to competitive open wheel racing.

#31 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 2,405 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 20:39

Robert said that elbow mobility is the only real problem with single seaters, not buttons, controls or whatever. In rally cars he has more space to turn the wheel. Also no credible source ever stated that Robert's recovery has reached it's limits, and he himself doesn't rule out the possibility of making a F1 return in the future. So don't write such such opinions as if there were confirmed facts. The fact that they are somewhat reasonable doesn't necessary make them true.

If I had to make a bet, I'd say that Robert's chances are rather low (but not inexistent), but that's just guesswork.

Edited by DrProzac, 04 January 2013 - 20:42.

#32 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 2,856 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:43

Since no medical information can ever be divulged without the patients express consent, however these are the facts as I see them. The determinants of a functional outcome from the subtotal upper limb amputation will be the fine motor function of the hand. That is: grip strength, grasp, fine pinch and key pinch. All of which are vital for activities of daily living. Elbow function is not as critical since mormal shoulder and wrist function could compensate for this.
My comment about functional attainment relates to the nature of nerve recovery. Assuming that the plastic surgeons restored the alignment of the nerves. Recovery of nerves occurs at 1mm a day. So for an injury at the elbow it takes about 400 days for sensation to return at the finger tips. Unfortunately nerve recovery is usually partial meaning muscles can become wasted and joints contracted requiring even more surgery.
Thus one sees how such a complex injury precludes a return to normal function. I have tried to make the explanation as simple as possible, however if you would like a more in depth explanation of the nature and treatment of such injuries I can explain it further.

Edited by Petroltorque, 05 January 2013 - 07:13.

#33 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 2,405 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:42

Since no medical information can ever be divulged without the patients express consent, however these are the facts as I see them.

The bold part is important. In the future, please stress it out. I'm not saying that what you write surely isn't true, but unless you're Robert's doctor you shouldn't present your opinions as if they were facts. You simply don't know in detail which nerves and tendons were injured to what extent etc. Unless you're Robert's doctor :) Such posts are simply misleading for people who don't follow the situation closely. TBH when someone asks about it you should also include the "official" information.

It was said (both by Robert and his doctors) that he will never be 100% fit. It should be obvious for everyone. But also they were / are saying that a F1 return can't be ruled out at the moment. Robert clearly said that he isn't able to drive single seaters at the moment, but as I previously wrote he said it's down to elbow mobility. I think an F1 driver knows what he is saying.

Elbow function is not as critical since mormal shoulder and wrist function could compensate for this.

There's not enough room in the cockpit to compensate, that's the issue. Some possible limitations to wrist movement don't help either.

Anyway, maybe we should focus on what will be going on in the near future. I can't wait for the information on what Robert plans to do this year. Especially that I'm a rally fan.

Edited by DrProzac, 05 January 2013 - 11:57.

#34 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 4,763 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 21:36

No idea how reliable:
Valentín Pérez ‏@ValentinPrz

Basso, Rossetti, Kubica, Tänak, Breen o Wallenwein son algunos de los pilotos que se sumarían al #FIAERC en Rally Islas Canarias.

#35 cravenciak

cravenciak

• 1,107 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 15:58

Posted Image

#36 thuGG

thuGG

• 2,177 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 16:50

Finally we know something:)

#37 MaGiK

MaGiK

• 753 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 17:05

Acording to Sokol, Robert is yet to choose between ERC and DTM.

#38 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,138 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 17:42

Hmmm... I do wonder which team would be more wise, Citroen or M-Sport. Citroen at least seem committed to rallying in the long term, whilst M-Sport's future seems uncertain. If Robert turns down Citroen now, there's no guarantee the offer will be extended again.

#39 Anja

Anja

• 10,283 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 18:34

Acording to Sokol, Robert is yet to choose between ERC and DTM.

I would be really disappointed if he'd choose DTM.

Advertisement

#40 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 2,405 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 18:52

I'd hope for a ERC season + perhaps some rounds in WRC and/or DTM (or Le Mans)? It would be great, wouldn't it.

#41 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,138 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 19:06

Le Mans is an interesting one - but would there be enough space in the cockpit to allow for elbow movement? If so, I think that could very well be Robert's future if F1 is ruled out for definite; driving quickly, precisely yet reliably is what Robert does best.

#42 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 4,763 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 20:33

I hope it won't be only DTM. But ERC + DTM would be great - is it possible to do both? And I hope it will be Citroen if he choses ERC. Somehow this idea is better to my taste.

#43 BRG

BRG

• 25,896 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 20:34

Hmmm... I do wonder which team would be more wise, Citroen or M-Sport. Citroen at least seem committed to rallying in the long term, whilst M-Sport's future seems uncertain. If Robert turns down Citroen now, there's no guarantee the offer will be extended again.

Just the opposite, I'd say. M-Sport is Malcolm Wilson's team and is wholly and totally about rallying. Subject to getting the funds, they will always be around at the highest level that they can manage. Citroen are talking about going to the WTCC and may be out of rallying altogether within a year or so.

#44 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 980 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 20:47

I would be really disappointed if he'd choose DTM.

Just a bit of idle speculation here.

From what's been said, it doesn't look like DTM would be Kubica's favourite series to join. However, in the slim possibility he might return to Formula 1 at some point, a deal with Mercedes through the DTM series might be that ticket to a return. If Mercedes said 'alright Robert, win the DTM title with us in 2013 or 14 and continue with your rehab so that hopefully your elbow regains mobility, we want you to join our F1 team when you're ready' (similar to Di Resta winning DTM then an F1 seat with Force India). Again, I'm idly speculating but if he chose DTM because of this I wouldn't be disappointed.

#45 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,138 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 21:16

Just the opposite, I'd say. M-Sport is Malcolm Wilson's team and is wholly and totally about rallying. Subject to getting the funds, they will always be around at the highest level that they can manage. Citroen are talking about going to the WTCC and may be out of rallying altogether within a year or so.

Haha, my ignorance shines through as always :lol: And to think I used to follow rallying religiously! Whether M-Sport can sustain their funding into the foreseeable future is, of course, a big if in this economic climate - it remains to be seen whether Ford's pulling out will have a noticeable impact or not.

#46 EightGear

EightGear

• 1,746 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 22:03

Finally we know something:)

We knew this for 2 months...

#47 wolviex

wolviex

• 320 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 17:19

There is someone who is also cheering Kubica for return ;)

https://twitter.com/...834623779450880

#48 zawisza

zawisza

• 576 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 13:17

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

:clap: LOL

#49 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 4,763 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:16

f1talks.pl ‏@f1talks

Robert Kubica will be testing Mercedes DTM car next week according to @AdriMancebo #Kubica

#50 thuGG

thuGG

• 2,177 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:20

http://nooooooooooooooo.com/

I want to see him in rallying instead of DTM :(