* * * * - 17 votes

Robert Kubica's road to recovery

• Please log in to reply
710 replies to this topic

#501 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 693 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 16:25

Until Robert himself goves up the dream, I will hold on to hope for him. The best possible situation I can see for him is at Ferrari. He is great friends with Alonso, has Italian connections and could hold down the position if 3rd driver and tester, as well as some sports car duty, until his readiness was affirmed. If that level was never achieved, he would be a fine addition to Ferrari's endurance program.

Advertisement

#502 Krr

Krr

• 120 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 16:36

Although quite how it aids his recovery when he's got a left hand paddle on the wheel to change gear rather than using his right hand is a bit of a mystery?

But he still has gear stick in his DS3 which is working perfectly normal if he wants to use it. So my guess is that he may be very well using it more or less depending on stages characteristic. And after all it's not all about changing gears. Rally stages are full of suprises and unpredictable situations, when he's required to react immediately. He said himsefl after first rallys he did after comeback that when he was watching onboards he was suprised that he could manage some actions with his hand that he thought are impossible for him to make. In DTM he would just cruise around circuits he already now, repeating same moves most of the time. It just wasnt any challange for him and his hand.

#503 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 1,390 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 16:56

I know why he didn't choose DTM, purely down to the amount of time in the car as he said in the interview so more excercise equals better mobility workout.  But it worries me that he isn't able to compete in WRC without the FIA dispensation, as you say it's not all about changing gears but tell me this... if he can't change gear in a car with a standard right hand stick or right hand paddle he's not going anywhere near F1 is he? So in a way at the moment it IS all about changing gear!

#504 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,901 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 17:42

But he still has gear stick in his DS3 which is working perfectly normal if he wants to use it. So my guess is that he may be very well using it more or less depending on stages characteristic. And after all it's not all about changing gears. Rally stages are full of suprises and unpredictable situations, when he's required to react immediately.

Which is easier with his "special" car, than with a "normal" car.

#505 Krr

Krr

• 120 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 18:02

But then again, I think we all agree that he will never be as fit as he was before in arm movement department but the trick is for him to be able to be as cometitive as he was before despite being somehow disabled. And this is the job for FIA to help him overstep difficulities he has, which FIA is doing great at the moment. As long as it doesn't give him unfair advantage then it's all good, right? 

Putting aside debate if he would be able to compete without dispensation, because we obviously can't tell, I wouldn't make conclusions that he's not going near F1 because he's driving with paddle. F1 and rallys are simply different, in F1 you hold steering wheel all the time and reaching stick is not required like in rally car so it could be easier for him to hold wheel for 2h of race than changing gears with stick xxx times during SS. What's more, you change your gears with paddles in F1, right? So as long as FIA would agree to make another dispensation, this time so he could change gears with just left paddle then he has perfect practice right now to master it in F1 car when arm rotation will improve enough, no?

And BTW, he is near F1 for 6 months now, as he's confirmed to practise multiple times in merc simulator, which is in no way adjust to his disabilities, and there even are reports that he's quicker then Lewis and Nico.  ;) 

#506 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 2,505 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 18:09

Did not Robert's adjusted gear stick fail at one point during the past few rallies, forcing him to use a "normal" one that was actually more difficult to change than the standard WRC gear stick? My recollection of the key details is awful, please correct me if I'm wrong.

#507 EightGear

EightGear

• 424 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 18:21

Did not Robert's adjusted gear stick fail at one point during the past few rallies, forcing him to use a "normal" one that was actually more difficult to change than the standard WRC gear stick? My recollection of the key details is awful, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Portugal.

#508 LateApex

LateApex

• 23 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 18:24

Aren't the paddles in F1 designed to go up/down (push/pull) on either side?  I remember seeing this with Schumacher when he was at Ferrari - I think he was adjusting his mirror with one hand while steering and up/down shifting with the other.

#509 Krr

Krr

• 120 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 18:26

Yes, I can't remember exactly on which rally it happened, but from my best memory it was greece. And the thing with his system is that it is much more stressed with this additional paddle and there still is only one pump to deal with it all. When paddle fails then it becomes much harder to change gears with stick then in a cars without it, as you basically need to pump oil with the stick, and this is what Robert experienced during few stages. So actually he is able to drive without paddle, and drive very well.

I see EightGear seems confindent so let it be Portugal.

Edited by Krr, 05 September 2013 - 18:28.

#510 Lord_Shaitan

Lord_Shaitan

• 854 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 18:26

Aren't the paddles in F1 designed to go up/down (push/pull) on either side?  I remember seeing this with Schumacher when he was at Ferrari - I think he was adjusting his mirror with one hand while steering and up/down shifting with the other.

Yep. It's possible to up and downshift by using only one paddle.

Edited by Lord_Shaitan, 05 September 2013 - 18:27.

#511 EightGear

EightGear

• 424 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 20:21

Yes, I can't remember exactly which rally it happened, but from my best memory it was greece. And the thing with his system is that it is much more stressed with this additional paddle and there still is only one pump to deal with it all. When paddle fails then it becomes much harder to change gears with stick then in a cars without it, as you basically need to pump oil with the stick, and this is what Robert experienced during few stages. So actually he is able to drive without paddle, and drive very well.

I see EightGear seems confindent so let it be Portugal.

Could have been Greece as well, I'm starting to doubt now. Anyway, the paddle thing did fail, that's for sure. :)

#512 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 1,922 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 17:08

Although quite how it aids his recovery when he's got a left hand paddle on the wheel to change gear rather than using his right hand is a bit of a mystery?

It would obviously mean alot more if he were able to compete in WRC2 without the special dispensation from the FIA, as far as judging his recovery... the fact he has the paddle only on the left side for up and downshifts is concerning from an F1 comeback point of view.  Sounds like he can't operate a paddle with his right hand?

Rallying environment is much less predictable than F1. On a circuit you're pretty much always doing the same number of gear changes each corner, while in a rally you don't remember the corners at all (most of the time). I'm not surprised that he prefers to have the paddle on the left side, even if he is able to operate it with his right hand.

He has the hand break on the right, and he has done several stages shifting with the gear-stick (which works much harder than normal due to the hydraulics attached to it) when the paddle stopped working.

I think it's more about operating the steering wheel in an unpredictable and often harsh rallying environment. He said that he was surprised what he was doing with his right hand, when watching the onboards so I guess it's good for him.

Seriously, changing gears in F1 is not a problem and controls can be arranged anyway the want. Also FIA allows such changes without problems (the did it for Zanardi as well, manual -> sequential which is a bigger change). If he changes gears in various rally cars and a DTM car, he can drive in the simulator for hours, he obviously has no real problems with it.

Never heard about it before, but why not :)

#513 Krr

Krr

• 120 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 18:07

Rallying environment is much less predictable than F1. On a circuit you're pretty much always doing the same number of gear changes each corner, while in a rally you don't remember the corners at all (most of the time). I'm not surprised that he prefers to have the paddle on the left side, even if he is able to operate it with his right hand.

He has the hand break on the right, and he has done several stages shifting with the gear-stick (which works much harder than normal due to the hydraulics attached to it) when the paddle stopped working.

I think it's more about operating the steering wheel in an unpredictable and often harsh rallying environment. He said that he was surprised what he was doing with his right hand, when watching the onboards so I guess it's good for him.

Seriously, changing gears in F1 is not a problem and controls can be arranged anyway the want. Also FIA allows such changes without problems (the did it for Zanardi as well, manual -> sequential which is a bigger change). If he changes gears in various rally cars and a DTM car, he can drive in the simulator for hours, he obviously has no real problems with it.

Pretty much what I've wrote few posts above :)  Good to share similar view.

#514 Krr

Krr

• 120 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 14:04

Apparently Robert is present at Mozna, as BBC mentioned earlier. Fun or business? ;)

#515 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 2,505 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 14:05

Interesting. Probably fun, though; he does live fairly locally, doesn't he?

#516 Krr

Krr

• 120 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 14:46

On a second thought I guess if he was there it would be hard for him to hide and we would have at least clear confirmation he in fact was there. I followed some gossips which may not be true so sorry for creating confusion.

#517 MaGiK

MaGiK

• 202 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 15:38

I think the she would mistake someone else with Robert.
Oh, and they are standing next to Ferrari garage :p

#518 anode

anode

• 82 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 18:25

here is the better quality version:

it looks like somebody just misheard Kubica name here and that's how false rumor was spread...

#519 InfectedPumpkin

InfectedPumpkin

• 535 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 16:15

New movie about Bobica:

http://www.youtube.c...BMoKP-A2jk#t=27

Advertisement

#520 Krr

Krr

• 120 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:11

Robert asked on polish radio if he could recommend some song said that sound of F1 V8 engine would be appropriate at the moment :) Most probably doesnt mean anything but still put smile on my face.

#521 paulogman

paulogman

• 1,979 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:23

Saw the video of kubica's latest rally crash and when he was walking around after the wreck.
How long has it been since he had the big one?
2 or 3 years?
His right arm is still not flexible enough to straighten out!
That's a huge bummer. He's probably physically ready to handle f1 now.
But until he can straighten that arm out, he's not going to get the opportunity.
Imagine if he'd been in the sport this whole time?
We'd have not only vettel, alonso, Hamilton, and Raikkonen not to mention button.
Too bad there aren't enough race winning cars available!

#522 Krr

Krr

• 120 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:43

Straightenig arm is not what's stopping him with his come back. Sometimes it looks worse than it really is because of his habbits with arm. When you cut your finger you trying to eliminate it from normal activity for few more days then it really needs. I know it's pretty strange comparison but hopefully shows my point. And last crash was caused by suspension failure btw.

#523 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,901 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 23:10

And with a larger injury, you take longer time to adjust back to normal, however usually not that long.

It was? It looked like an overcorrection over the jump, which caused the car to go to the right, but, you are most likely correct :)

#524 paulogman

paulogman

• 1,979 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 00:17

Ok. Robert kubica is faat enough driver to be in F1
Obviously he is not there because of the event of his injuries.
There is no other reason for him not to be there.
He wants to be there, a team would find a way to get him there.
Mercedes are working with him in their simulator.
He is not there for a reason.

#525 Krr

Krr

• 120 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:30

And with a larger injury, you take longer time to adjust back to normal, however usually not that long.

It was? It looked like an overcorrection over the jump, which caused the car to go to the right, but, you are most likely correct :)

Yes, it was. Cezary Gutowski confirmed it on Przegląd Sportowy, polish sports newspaper. 

#526 wolviex

wolviex

• 318 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:14

Never seen this since Robert's accident - shaking hands :clap:

http://www.fiaerc.co.../detail/id/1558

#527 InfectedPumpkin

InfectedPumpkin

• 535 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 13:53

He is shaking hand to every fan he meet, so nothign new for me  :wave:

#528 zdzisio

zdzisio

• 166 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 14:08

He is shaking hand to every fan he meet, so nothign new for me  :wave:

Maybe I haven't been following Robert's progress close enough, although I believe I have been, but I have not seen him shaking hands since accident either. Not with his right hand, I mean. 

#529 Krr

Krr

• 120 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 17:59

Maybe I haven't been following Robert's progress close enough, although I believe I have been, but I have not seen him shaking hands since accident either. Not with his right hand, I mean. 

Clearly you haven't then. He was shaking hand at his very first rally last september.

#530 chumma

chumma

• 998 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:56

Is it safe to say Robert is done with F1?

#531 thuGG

thuGG

• 1,531 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:08

Do you need that confirmation for some reason?

From what he says, I understand he believes and hopes to be back. So no, it's not safe. But in my opinion it's unlikely he will be back (I hope I'm wrong).

#532 InfectedPumpkin

InfectedPumpkin

• 535 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:22

Is it safe to say Robert is done with F1?

No. He is aiming in F1 return next year. His arm mobility problem is gone now. We will know more in two months.

#533 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 1,922 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:18

I'm with thuGG on that. I don't think we can say that we know that Robert's arm mobility problems are gone (as far as F1 is concerned, it may be ok for some motorsports, it will never be 100% fit generally).

#534 Sarhan

Sarhan

• 490 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 15:38

His arm mobility problem is gone now.

Bullshit

#535 Zava

Zava

• 5,095 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:44

well, well, well...

According to Citroen team boss Yves Matton, Robert Kubica will test and maybe race WTCC car in 2014

#536 thuGG

thuGG

• 1,531 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:46

Almost a week old news:

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/110139

#537 Zava

Zava

• 5,095 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:56

Almost a week old news:

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/110139

ehh, sorry, didn't see it yet.

#538 Zoetrope

Zoetrope

• 1,210 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:57

Robert having almost 3 minutes advantage in WRC2 class of Rallye de France, yet instead of cruising to victory, he said in the interview he wants to learn as much as possible. Of course, he will be more cautious, but cruising is not his point and will continue with his pace. I guess it shows how committed he is to gaining experience, even when WRC2 title is at stake. It's nice to win, but he is aiming higher.

#539 Krr

Krr

• 120 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 15:20

On BELL's oficial FB profile you can find gallery named: "Robert KUBICA's NEW BELL HELMET 2013&2014!!!!!!!!!!!" https://www.facebook...12580319&type=1

1374280_553127614756008_1738172994_n.jpg

Advertisement

#540 MaGiK

MaGiK

• 202 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 15:36

We......that aint rally helmet xD

Looks like he will be participating in some racing series :)

Perhaps its about WTCC alongside WRC.

#541 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 2,505 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 15:55

Wow, great news. Let's see which series it ends up being.

#542 Krr

Krr

• 120 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 16:03

Wow, great news. Let's see which series it ends up being.

I woudn't call it news just yet. It may only be for testing or so, but those fairings(?) makes you wonder... you don't need no fairings for WTCC or DTM.

Edited by Krr, 09 October 2013 - 16:03.

#543 InfectedPumpkin

InfectedPumpkin

• 535 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 17:00

Well, well, well. What a surprise, huh? ;)

#544 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 17:06

It isn't WTCC helmet.

It is open seater helmet. But maybe Bell is just playing jokes or so?

#545 Krr

Krr

• 120 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 17:24

From Robert official fb: "Thanks to Bell Racing Europe for a gift." Soooo either there's nothing hidden behind this story or perhaps great way out from unwanted leak? Since when Bell is gifting helmets without reasons or consulting paiting? I dont really know what to think about it but still, seems like helmet exists... :)

#546 wolviex

wolviex

• 318 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 17:50

These are real photographs, no photoshop or digital graphics. On some pictures you can clearly see a reflection of photo studio and helmet stand.

But without strenghtened visior it cannot be F1 helmet :(

#547 anode

anode

• 82 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 17:59

These are real photographs, no photoshop or digital graphics. On some pictures you can clearly see a reflection of photo studio and helmet stand.

But without strenghtened visior it cannot be F1 helmet :(

I don't think it's an issue here. Take a look at the Bell helmet's gallery for some of the current F1 drivers: http://www.bellhelme...=6&coldrivers=0

Edited by anode, 09 October 2013 - 18:00.

#548 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,886 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 17:59

It isn't WTCC helmet.

It is open seater helmet. But maybe Bell is just playing jokes or so?

I think drivers in closed cocpits use the same helmets sometimes, but they don't close their visors.

I will be waiting to hear some news, cause it looks like someone jumped the gun...

I'd put my money on WRC + ocassional WTCC, but this can be just my wishful thinking.

Edited by MadYarpen, 09 October 2013 - 18:07.

#549 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,886 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 18:45

Here is "thank you for the gift" https://www.facebook...&type=1

No idea what it means, I guess there is no point in thinking about it.

#550 anode

anode

• 82 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 18:57

Interview with Robert for rally.it:

http://www.rally.it/...ly-france-2013/