* * * * - 17 votes

Robert Kubica's road to recovery

• Please log in to reply
692 replies to this topic

#351 SonJR

SonJR

• 144 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 14:57

And with older tyres presumably? Not that either of these (2011 car & old tyres), would have a massive impact on his reasons for testing. If he can fit in the cockpit and drive the car at speed then it will be a good indication.
Where would they test? Silverstone?

They'd probably need to use old or even demonstration tyres, seeing as otherwise Mercedes would have an advantage (or so other teams would complain). A 2011 car might even be easier for him to get into than a 2013 FRIC, DDRS, Coanda exhaust Mercedes though, more akin to his old Renault.

As for location, they're free to pick any FIA approved test track. Silverstone is next door to the Merc factory, but also has the disadvantage of unpredictable weather and a lack of privacy.

Advertisement

#352 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,880 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 18:55

Guys, this is fun: http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

Turn up the volume and listen carefully from 0:17.;)

#353 anode

anode

• 82 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:44

Guys, this is fun: http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

Turn up the volume and listen carefully from 0:17.;)

:eek: :lol: :lol: :lol:

you can hear how excited he is about merc's simulator :up:

Edited by anode, 16 May 2013 - 03:48.

#354 wolviex

wolviex

• 318 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:09

:eek: :lol: :lol: :lol:

you can hear how excited he is about merc's simulator :up:

"Ten screens, telemetry live" - sounds like pitwall to me. Simulators doesn't look like "10 screens" to me.....

Shame we can't hear more of these - it's out of context, so it is hard to bring any conclusion :/

Edited by wolviex, 16 May 2013 - 07:10.

#355 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,880 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:25

"Ten screens, telemetry live" - sounds like pitwall to me. Simulators doesn't look like "10 screens" to me.....

Shame we can't hear more of these - it's out of context, so it is hard to bring any conclusion :/

"you see everything how you drive, and stuff", there was something like that. I thought about simulator immidiately. But who knows?

#356 MaGiK

MaGiK

• 202 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:38

Either way, his mind is with F1 even in rally car :p

#357 Gemini

Gemini

• 3,391 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:47

Either way, his mind is with F1 even in rally car :p

Now when he will get into WRC business seriuosly he will be negotiating for his contract to allow him to spend every other weekend on closed tracks racing in Italian F3 or something like that... ;-)

#358 zdzisio

zdzisio

• 153 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 13:14

Any decent F1 simulator includes a pit wall workstations. It's not that the driver goes there alone and just drives around like some playstation game.
There was a RedBull video where Vettel switched with Rocky , so he was giving him tire temperatures and stuff and Rocky was driving around.
Cannot find it at the moment though.

edit: there it is

Edited by zdzisio, 16 May 2013 - 13:25.

#359 oldracer1957

oldracer1957

• 202 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 16:37

good to see Kubica happy and recovered (though he seems to have gained 5-6 pounds)
:up:

Advertisement

#360 thuGG

thuGG

• 1,528 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:35

http://www.youtube.c...p;v=s2AFrcgjCGs

#361 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 2,455 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:50

http://www.youtube.c...p;v=s2AFrcgjCGs

What a moving interview. It shows how mentally strong he is that he can say he loves rallying "more" than ever.

#362 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 1,897 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:34

good to see Kubica happy and recovered (though he seems to have gained 5-6 pounds)

No need to be so slim when rallying.

#363 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,880 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:15

What a moving interview. It shows how mentally strong he is that he can say he loves rallying "more" than ever.

Indeed.

Great job by BBC (by the way), and Robert is such an inspiration... If someone is having hard time not to give up that's the answer.

#364 SonJR

SonJR

• 144 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:15

Didn't see him move his right arm once.

#365 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,880 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:17

Didn't see him move his right arm once.

But as an (almost) Italian, he moves left one twice as much! :)
His hand is crippled somehow, not a surprise he keeps it in his pocket all the time.

#366 Kocur

Kocur

• 3 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:56

Inspirational.

#367 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 8,520 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 13:54

This is the first interview I've seen of Robert since his F1 involvement (Renault) and he seems much more relaxed, open and upbeat that before. Perhaps this is just down to the environment with F1 being more corporate, but in any event than was an excellent piece and I'm glad he is doing well.

#368 MaGiK

MaGiK

• 202 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 14:40

Great interview. Nice to see Robert smiling and still fighting for comeback.
BBC did also impressive job with editing and music.

#369 Gemini

Gemini

• 3,391 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 14:53

This is the first interview I've seen of Robert since his F1 involvement (Renault) and he seems much more relaxed, open and upbeat that before. Perhaps this is just down to the environment with F1 being more corporate, but in any event than was an excellent piece and I'm glad he is doing well.

Good observation. RK is just a pure petrolhead. He did never care about all the glamour part of F1, the celebrities, the money, the boats, the jetset lifesyle...

Just note that when he is asked "do you miss F1?", he does not answer " I do ", he answers "I miss RACING in F1"

Probably that's why he was always so much interested in rally. It's much differenent environment. 6.00 am, chill morning air, smell of coffee and mechanics working on his car... and no celebrities around...

#370 PurpleHam

PurpleHam

• 562 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 14:53

If he is able to drive like he did then he will have precisely no difficulty getting a seat. None. The guy was special.

I actually saw more talent in him than Vettel, I like Kubica a lot, hope he gets another crack at F1.

#371 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,880 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 16:25

Good observation. RK is just a pure petrolhead. He did never care about all the glamour part of F1, the celebrities, the money, the boats, the jetset lifesyle...

Just note that when he is asked "do you miss F1?", he does not answer " I do ", he answers "I miss RACING in F1"

Probably that's why he was always so much interested in rally. It's much differenent environment. 6.00 am, chill morning air, smell of coffee and mechanics working on his car... and no celebrities around...

I noticed that to. I think it is quite characteristic.
Also when I hear RK saying he is missing racing in F1, what he doesn't miss is politics much more than celebrities IMO :) About celebrities he just didn't give a flying f..ck;)

#372 MaGiK

MaGiK

• 202 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 17:09

So FIA....you heard the man. Make cars 10 cm wider :p

#373 InfectedPumpkin

InfectedPumpkin

• 535 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 14:43

Kubica is having fun it seems :D
Posted Image

#374 g1n

g1n

• 874 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 21:38

But as an (almost) Italian, he moves left one twice as much! :)
His hand is crippled somehow, not a surprise he keeps it in his pocket all the time.

You know people who try to hide their injuries are the ones who make people even more curious to see. I remember when someone told me that Jeremy Beadle has a hand defect I was amazed! as I have spent years watching him on TV and never noticed, I didn't notice because he did not hide anything away.

#375 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 2,769 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:59

Let's turn that Lotos into a Lotus!

I also agree he was better than Vettel. A 3rd in what his 3rd race or something?

In 2010 he was more impressive than Rosberg, too. I get the feeling he'd be at Ferrari now had he not...

#376 outofspace

outofspace

• 114 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:38

so it's only 10cm issue...

#377 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 2,624 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:27

Can he fit in an Indycar?

#378 Zoetrope

Zoetrope

• 1,071 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:34

Can he fit in an Indycar?

The question is does he care about Indycar? He already turned down DTM offer. I think it's just rally or F1.

#379 InfectedPumpkin

InfectedPumpkin

• 535 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:25

I get the feeling he'd be at Ferrari now had he not...

That is more than a feeling. That is a fact. He said that he had contract with Ferrari for 2012.

Advertisement

#380 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:49

well that's plenty of in F1.

#381 muramasa

muramasa

• 3,054 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 13:32

10cm is quite big for racing cars in general that's true, but current F1 tub isnt that small thanks to head protection etc. Not sure about how limited his arm's movement is, but I wonder if monocoque is modifiable to open some extra space necessary. Also is his arm getting better albeit gradually?
I hope he gets chance to have seat fitting to assess whether or not such modification is possible, and drive, so that he can know whether or not being able to drive for race distance competitively and do 20 races per year. He deserves it.
It seems driving F1 car itself is no problem , coz driving those rally cars look alot tougher. If those obstacles (mainly arm and operating steering wheel) are cleared, he should be able to drive F1 anytime.

#382 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,792 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 13:42

He can't use his right hand at all?

#383 redreni

redreni

• 2,559 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 13:54

Poor bloke. Glad to see he seems to be concentrating on what he is doing now rather than thinking unrealistic thoughts about F1.

You can tell that by what he does as well as the way he talks. Fact is he can't drive a single seater at present. If nonetheless he thought he might recover enough to be able to drive one in the future, he would have taken the DTM drive because there is a plausible route back into F1 for somebody in his position e.g. DTM>GP2>F1. Rallying doesn't get him anywhere on the road to F1. I know Raikkonnen went from rallying straight back to F1 but he wasn't injured - Kubica would have to re-prove himself in a single seater before he could get back.

So the fact he turned down the DTM drive tells me he's accepted he isn't coming back to F1, he's looking at it in the right way which is to thank his lucky stars he is still here, and he's focusing on doing what he can do rather than fixating on the notion of doing things he can no longer do. I just hope his consistency as a rally driver improves because, frankly, when you look at the number of serious crashes he's had in the last year or so rallying, you have to wonder how many lives one man can have.

#384 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 2,624 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 14:04

The question is does he care about Indycar? He already turned down DTM offer. I think it's just rally or F1.

Its not my point, he'd soon take a look if he couldn't get back to F1 for sure.

#385 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 2,624 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 14:05

2 out of the 3 main nerves were completely severed, you cant just stitch them back together.

#386 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 14:10

A different perspective...

#387 Zoetrope

Zoetrope

• 1,071 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 14:40

Its not my point, he'd soon take a look if he couldn't get back to F1 for sure.

He could test how fit he is in an Indycar, that's your point? He did test at Mercedes simulator, which I believe has real-scale cockpit.

#388 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 2,455 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 14:46

Let's ground all this in what we know: Robert has said himself that he could jump in an F1 car today and drive competitively at circuits like Barcelona, it's the narrower and more intricate circuits like Monaco which would be more problematic. Robert has conducted at least one simulator test with Mercedes so far, who commented that Robert's testing was actually useful for the team.

The conclusions we can draw from this:
a) The situation is more hopeful now than it looked previously.
b) There could be more progress made in the coming year(s). Alternatively, there might not be any more progress.

All we can do is wait and see.

A different perspective...

Watkins' comment was made in 1987. Safety has advanced dramatically since then. I'm not being callous nor suggesting that an unfit driver should be allowed to drive, but one who can adhere to all the regulations and drive competitively can certainly drive.

Edited by Muppetmad, 15 June 2013 - 14:48.

#389 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 15:13

Watkins' comment was made in 1987. Safety has advanced dramatically since then. I'm not being callous nor suggesting that an unfit driver should be allowed to drive, but one who can adhere to all the regulations and drive competitively can certainly drive.

Based on your comment it is apparent that you have not understood neurosurgeon's comment at all. Watkins’ assessment in case he evaluated has nothing to do whether a driver will be good boy and behave, but risk of him suddenly losing control over steering because of previous damage to nerves system. He stresses that it goes beyond being selfish and wanting to drive, but responsibility over unpredictability what can happen, and having concerns for people around should such situation arouse.

It is also true that Watkin's precedent is not binding to Kubica, but considering man's knowledge of this subject, his words should be considered.

#390 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 1,897 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 16:39

Wasn't sir Watkins referring to a driver who have sustained a concussion not a long time before? Or did I misunderstood?

He can, but obviously it's limited.

DTM>GP2>F1. Rallying doesn't get him anywhere on the road to F1. I know Raikkonnen went from rallying straight back to F1 but he wasn't injured - Kubica would have to re-prove himself in a single seater before he could get back.

No way he would go through GP2. DTM - F1, OK, that makes sense. I think that Kubica is talented and valued enough that he would get test sessions without any trouble. If fit enough. And testing in an 2011 car would be more than enough to access his fitness and speed. He is close to Mercedes already without driving in DTM, not to mention GP2.

The "if fit enough" is the problematic part.

Edited by DrProzac, 15 June 2013 - 16:50.

#391 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 16:46

The problematic part is if he is fit and if he would be allowed to drive in F1. If he does not gain full control of his right hand, which is likely, he would be limited in his actions compared to a fully fit driver, especially for actions like changing the switches on the steering feel. He would need to use his left hand and while doing so, he would have a reduced control of the steering well, while holding it only with his right hand.

#392 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 2,455 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 16:57

Based on your comment it is apparent that you have not understood neurosurgeon's comment at all. Watkins’ assessment in case he evaluated has nothing to do whether a driver will be good boy and behave, but risk of him suddenly losing control over steering because of previous damage to nerves system. He stresses that it goes beyond being selfish and wanting to drive, but responsibility over unpredictability what can happen, and having concerns for people around should such situation arouse.

It is also true that Watkin's precedent is not binding to Kubica, but considering man's knowledge of this subject, his words should be considered.

...nor have I suggested as such, although I will admit I was vague. When I was referring to "regulations", I was including there the regulation regarding the driver's ability to extricate themselves from the car in a given time period. It is this that many have deemed to be the greatest obstacle Kubica faces if he wants to make a return to F1. If he can adhere to this regulation, along with the others regarding driver competence then he should be able to drive. Yes, Watkins' comments should be taken into account (although as DrProzac has pointed out his comments refer to concussion, not nerve damage, meaning his comments seem less relevant than the author presents them to be), but I don't think Kubica would be making a return without long periods of testing with older F1 cars which would expose any critical weaknesses. My point was that Watkins' comment reflects a different era of racing; given today's safety standards, if proven competent to drive, I don't think anybody on the grid would deny Kubica the opportunity to drive. The FIA would not allow somebody to drive, after all, if they were not fit to do so.

Edited by Muppetmad, 15 June 2013 - 16:59.

#393 Krr

Krr

• 120 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 18:52

Poor bloke. Glad to see he seems to be concentrating on what he is doing now rather than thinking unrealistic thoughts about F1.

You can tell that by what he does as well as the way he talks. Fact is he can't drive a single seater at present. If nonetheless he thought he might recover enough to be able to drive one in the future, he would have taken the DTM drive because there is a plausible route back into F1 for somebody in his position e.g. DTM>GP2>F1. Rallying doesn't get him anywhere on the road to F1. I know Raikkonnen went from rallying straight back to F1 but he wasn't injured - Kubica would have to re-prove himself in a single seater before he could get back.

So the fact he turned down the DTM drive tells me he's accepted he isn't coming back to F1, he's looking at it in the right way which is to thank his lucky stars he is still here, and he's focusing on doing what he can do rather than fixating on the notion of doing things he can no longer do. I just hope his consistency as a rally driver improves because, frankly, when you look at the number of serious crashes he's had in the last year or so rallying, you have to wonder how many lives one man can have.

He choose rally because it's better for his rehab process and it's bigger challenge for his hand. After first starts last year he said he was surprised what he could do with his hand once he watched onboards, as there is much more variety or unpredictable situations on special stages then he would have racing in DTM. He tested DTM car and immediately was feeling at home, having no problems at all with control car, setting better times then regular drivers, which must tell you something. So simply crusing around circuits do not provide challenge for his hand which he was looking for.

#394 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,309 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 21:36

He could test how fit he is in an Indycar, that's your point? He did test at Mercedes simulator, which I believe has real-scale cockpit.

Pretty sure he knows how fit he is.

#395 thuGG

thuGG

• 1,528 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:12

There is a dedicated thread for Kubica and his WRC2 adventures, please continue there:
http://forums.autosp...w...999&hl=wrc2

#396 thuGG

thuGG

• 1,528 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:26

FFS, discuss his WRC2 rallying here:
http://forums.autosp...w...999&hl=wrc2

#397 EightGear

EightGear

• 415 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 13:45

There a 4 Kubica threads by now, I would suggest to use http://forums.autosp...w...999&hl=wrc2 as well. Or the rallying topic.

#398 MaGiK

MaGiK

• 202 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 19:37

Malecki quotes Robert (sorry for poor translation :p)

"I cant say when was the last time i was driving in simulator but im very happy about the progress i have made.
When i was in F1 i never used simulator because my teams didnt have one.
Ofc simulator dont give you real experience like g forces, but you need the same strength on the wheel and pedals and i ddnt need any additional help to handle it.
I dont plan any simulator drives now because i wouldnt be able to keep them in secret. Im joking of caurse.
But im not interested now in just testing. I need proper challenge in perspective. To be comepletly honest at the moment i could allready drive at 80% of the circuits.
Mercedes car is kinda more friendly to me because it has a bit more space where i need it.
If i recieve proper signal i can lose weight and be ready in few months"

What the... :eek:

Edit. Seems Malecki was quoting interview by Autosprint.

Edited by MaGiK, 21 June 2013 - 19:43.

#399 InfectedPumpkin

InfectedPumpkin

• 535 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 21:23

What so strange in that? I already knew that. Everyone who is following Kubica knows that.
Kubica will be in F1 soon. Everyon who is thinking otherwise is deluded or uninformed :)

Edited by InfectedPumpkin, 21 June 2013 - 21:25.

Advertisement

#400 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,880 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 21:39

Kubica will be in F1 soon. Everyon who is thinking otherwise is deluded or uninformed :)

That would be RK himself, among others!