Ok guys, I had a brief chat with Buttoneer and I think we need more discipline.
Firstly, I think we need a clear definition of what this thread is about and what is outside it's scope. So our understanding and that of the moderator team isn't different. We also need some rules to follow, so the thread (and possibly other ones as well) won't get locked.
My proposal of simple rules:
1. We stick to the topic. If something is clearly outside of it's scope, we create a new one.
2. If someone goes off topic, we try to stop it by pointing it out and not engaging in the discussion. If this doesn't help, we report the post. This way the moderators will know that there is will to keep the discussion on topic and will have the opportunity to react in a different way than locking the thread.
3. When posting in the rally thread, let's remember that it's a place for all rallying fans
They are really simple, and if the people who are most interested in RK related discussion follow them we won't have such problems imho.
My vision of the recovery discussion topics:
- Will he be able to return to F1? Will he stick to rallying, or maybe some other racing series? Which choice will be good for him? etc
- Any tests and similar activities he participates in
- Rumors about his health, career opportunities etc.
I think all this revolves around Robert's post accident recovery, his return to the sport. And all these threads will pop up constantly. Even people from outside the usual suspects jump in from time to time and initiate discussion about it. A topic strictly about his F1 chances will be imho a bit too narrow.
- Was/is RK better than his team mates (or any other driver), or not.
- How good rally driver Robert is? Is his car and advantage or not?
- Was rallying before the accident a good decision, or not?
- Rally discussion not related directly to his recovery process. So discussion about whether rallying is good for his mobility or is more/less demanding that other motorsports is OK, but discussion about ongoing rallying events, the WRC/ERC championship etc should go to the Rally thread.
It's only my idea, I don't know what Buttoneer thinks about it.
Perhaps we need two threads?
Edited by DrProzac, 23 June 2013 - 19:50.