Photo

User Rating Function?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 19:07

This is something that just went through my mind as I noticed I have a rating in profile. So I thought I open a discussion, for people to voice their opinions.

I have to say I don't really like the ability to rate users or the fact that I can be rated because I have the feeling that can be abused. Somebody not sharing your opinion? Give him\her 1 star.
You don't like the thread somebody opened? Give him\her 1 star. I think it is just really annoying that you can get bad reputation through that.

Negative Ratings in my opinion should only happen if someone really behaves like a total dork and positive ratings should only happen for very intresting good made topics and posts.
I've been in a board with rating system before there people could only rate you when leaving a comment on your profile and even there it was removed because of the abuse of it.

What's your opinion on that?

Advertisement

#2 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,050 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 20:56

I think having up or down thumbs on individual posts would be good. This could then form a user rating?

#3 Group B

Group B

• 14,507 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 21:00

Well, I don't think too many people take much notice of it, but yes, it is no doubt abused in the way you suggest, especially in fan-boy exchanges. There are even several highly respected members who generally hang out in the Paddock Club with 2 or 3 star ratings though, so I certainly wouldn't let it worry you.

#4 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,249 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:55

An utterly meaningless feature, much like the thread rating feature as you can ignore users and avoid bad threads on the basis of their titles. Post rating would probably be more meaningful, in particular as fanboy threads have recently been outlawed.

Edited by Disgrace, 02 January 2013 - 04:58.

#5 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,173 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:50

I've alwys thought it was unimportant, to be honest. Most people don't seem to take it seriously, so I wouldn't pay too much attention to it.

#6 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,182 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:38

Nobody cares about user ratings. Their existence is pointless so it's a pointless feature but then it creates no harm neither because nobody cares.

#7 sharo

sharo

• 1,792 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:44

An utterly meaningless feature, much like the thread rating feature as you can ignore users and avoid bad threads on the basis of their titles. Post rating would probably be more meaningful, in particular as fanboy threads have recently been outlawed.

Absolutely agree.
All rating schemes sooner or later turn into fan group fight - upvoting and downvoting having nothing to do with quality and contents.

#8 P123

P123

• 23,879 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 21:09

Just looking at this topic 2 or 3 stars seems to be the norm. I wouldn't bother too much about it.

#9 Wander

Wander

• 2,367 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 18:24

I liked the feature on one forum where you could "like" posts and it would say underneath the post which members liked it. Other than that, I've found all member rating systems to be pointless indeed.