Photo
* * * * - 6 votes

F1 Coverage Thread - 2013 Season (BBC and Sky)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2194 replies to this topic

#1 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:57

BBC F1
- Suzi Perry (Presenter)
- Ben Edwards (Commentator)
- David Coulthard (Commentator + Pundit)
- Eddie Jordan (Pundit)
- Lee McKenzie (Pitlane)
- Gary Anderson (Pitlane)
- Tom Clarkson (Pitlane)

BBC will screen
1) LIVE coverage of 9 race weekends: Practice (BBC Two), Qualifying, Race and Forum (BBC Red Button)
- April 14th: China
- May 12th: Spain
- June 9th: Canada
- June 30th: Britain
- August 25th: Belgium
- September 8th: Italy
- October 13th: Japan
- October 27th: India
- November 25th: Brazil

2) Highlights of 10 race weekends: Qualifying, Race and Forum (BBC Red Button)
- March 17th: Australia (afternoon)
- March 24th: Malaysia (afternoon)
- April 21st: Bahrain (evening)
- May 26th: Monaco (evening)
- July 7th: Germany (evening)
- July 28th: Hungary (evening)
- September 22nd: Singapore (evening)
- October 6th: Korea (afternoon)
- November 3rd: Abu Dhabi (evening)
- November 17th: USA (late night)

BBC 5 Live F1
- James Allen (Commentator)*
- Jonathan Legard (Commentator)*
- Allan McNish (Commentator)**
- Jennie Gow (Pitlane)

* Allen and Legard will share the lead commentator duties throughout the season
** McNish will commentate on at least six rounds beginning with Spain

BBC F1 is...
- available to watch/listen to again for up to 7 days on BBC iPlayer
- available to watch live online for the 10 races that they cover
- available to listen to live online for every race in 2013

Sky Sports F1
- Simon Lazenby (Presenter - Main)
- Ted Kravitz (Presenter - Magazine + Pitlane)
- Natalie Pinkham (Presenter - Magazine + Pitlane)
- Steve Rider (Presenter - Legends)
- Martin Brundle (Commentator)
- David Croft (Commentator)
- Anthony Davidson (Commentator + Pundit)
- Damon Hill (Pundit)
- Johnny Herbert (Pundit)
- Natalie Pinkham (Pitlane)

Sky Sports F1 will screen...
- every Qualifying and Race LIVE uninterrupted advert free
- every F1 Practice session LIVE
- The F1 Show every Friday from February 15th
- GP2 and GP3 LIVE uninterrupted advert free
- along with a Legends programme and extra programming outside of race weekends
- interviews and other tidbits on Sky Sports News with Rachel Brookes and Craig Slater reporters

Sky Sports F1 is...
- available to people with Sky on Channel 408 who have the HD package OR the Sports package (note - this particular point could change)
- available to people with Virgin Media on Channel 516 who have the Sky Sports package (SD only, HD channel is Sky exclusive - again, could change)
- available on Sky Go with the relevant subscription
- available on Xbox 360 for Sky customers with an Xbox LIVE Gold subscription

Other bits
- The BBC and Sky Sports deal is 2012 through to 2018 inclusive
- BBC's theme tune is Fleetwood Mac - The Chain
- Sky's theme tune is Alistair Griffin - Just Drive

Archive
- ITV (2003 to 2008)
- BBC (2009, 2010 and 2011)
- BBC and Sky confirmation
- BBC and Sky (2012 [1, 2])

And the UK ratings can be found here.

Updated on March 6th, 2013

Advertisement

#2 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:59

Not all of BBC's team has been confirmed, but I would expect an official announcement fairly soonish, probably at the AUTOSPORT Show or just before. I think everything for BBC TV will stay the same aside from Perry as there are no changes to the Sky line-up. 5 Live will change I would think, with no Alguersuari - he'll probably want to get back into racing of some sort for 2013 even if it is non-F1.

Sky's F1 channel is still going, their first F1 Show goes to air on Friday 15th February. A lot more potential scope for their pre-season coverage with the channel on air so it will be interesting to see how it is covered.

#3 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,328 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:23

Good going, DMN. I'm a little irritated that the BBC hasn't retained it's live Monaco coverage -- wet or dry it's the spectacle in F1, and plus now the highlights will almost certainly clash with the Indy 500. I'm aware that it's unlikely someone will have the legit means to watch the Indycar Series but not Sky's F1 coverage, but we live in strange times...

Glad to see Canada back on the BBC's live roster. The delayed highlights for the American timezone races were ridiculous.

#4 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:39

Nice comprehensive thread start there DMN, thanks. We still have the delayed highlights for USA of course, Risil.

#5 crooky369

crooky369

• 628 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:07

Does anyone else think that Sky should start moving the few Motorsport series they have on their other channels to the F1 channel?

Personally I'd love to see the Indy cars on there for starters and even the NASCAR and DTM highlights to avoid the endless repeats of races that seem to fill the schedule at the moment.

#6 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:09

Good going, DMN. I'm a little irritated that the BBC hasn't retained it's live Monaco coverage -- wet or dry it's the spectacle in F1, and plus now the highlights will almost certainly clash with the Indy 500.

I was rather chuffed the BBC had swapped Monaco to be honest. It might be a spectacle and one of the historic circuits, but it more often than not provides a rather boring race IMO. I would much rather watch another race on a track where we can see these cars at their best. Monaco gets a lot of attention because of its glamour and tends to pull in the most viewers worldwide, but its never been one of my favourite races.

#7 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:12

I was rather chuffed the BBC had swapped Monaco to be honest. It might be a spectacle and one of the historic circuits, but it more often than not provides a rather boring race IMO. I would much rather watch another race on a track where we can see these cars at their best. Monaco gets a lot of attention because of its glamour and tends to pull in the most viewers worldwide, but its never been one of my favourite races.

Bit in bold is the only thing that should have concerned them. I thought there were three races which were considered essential for FTA; Britain, Monaco and the final race so the list surprised me a little.

#8 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,619 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:15

Does anyone else think that Sky should start moving the few Motorsport series they have on their other channels to the F1 channel?

Personally I'd love to see the Indy cars on there for starters and even the NASCAR and DTM highlights to avoid the endless repeats of races that seem to fill the schedule at the moment.

Depends on how the channel is going to be priced in the future. So far Sky won't confirm that it will remain as part of the HD sub, and I'd rather not have the other stuff if it's just going to be used to push the price up.

#9 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:15

Bit in bold is the only thing that should have concerned them. I thought there were three races which were considered essential for FTA; Britain, Monaco and the final race so the list surprised me a little.

Don't forget the BBC are still covering that race, just not live and in full. I'm sure their viewing figures will still put Sky in the shade as they always do. I think there is more love for Spa than Monaco amongst fans and the BBC have that in full. To be honest I think the BBC have a better selection this year in comparison to last, so its not all bad.

#10 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:21

Depends on how the channel is going to be priced in the future. So far Sky won't confirm that it will remain as part of the HD sub, and I'd rather not have the other stuff if it's just going to be used to push the price up.

I very much doubt it will remain separate from their sports subscription for too many more years. They are getting nearly as many viewers as their Premiership football matches and that has rarely tempted them to offer those to non sports subscribers. This is purely a guess but I think in the next couple of years the F1 channel will be bolted on the sports section as so far this appears to be an introductory offer. A couple of my friends have taken the plunge to Sky so they don't miss the F1 but have said if it goes the way people think it will, they will drop it altogether.

#11 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:35

Monaco gets a lot of attention because of its glamour and tends to pull in the most viewers worldwide, but its never been one of my favourite races.

Worldwide yes, but in the UK Canada is more popular thanks to its primetime slot.

#12 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:39

Worldwide yes, but in the UK Canada is more popular thanks to its primetime slot.

I don't doubt that. I'm not arguing that Monaco is more popular than other events.

#13 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:44

Is it just me that hates the choice of music that the BBC use for the end of weekend compilation shorts ? So much wishy washy indy-Radiohead stlye dross. The weekend after Amy Winehouse died, I really expected them to use of of her songs, which would have fitted very well, I'm sure.

#14 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:51

Is it just me that hates the choice of music that the BBC use for the end of weekend compilation shorts ? So much wishy washy indy-Radiohead stlye dross. The weekend after Amy Winehouse died, I really expected them to use of of her songs, which would have fitted very well, I'm sure.

I'm sure there are others who share your opinion, but I think most of the time they get it right. I've never heard Radiohead labelled as 'dross' lol. Then again they are my era and I can't expect you oldies to appreciate it nor would I expect it. No offence meant there.

#15 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 13:08

Suggest your ideal race edit soundtrack here.

#16 blackhand2010

blackhand2010

• 654 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 13:10

I'm with you.
Motorsport is high octane, and high energy, yet they accompany footage of it with some fey, whiny, bed-wetting, hipster, indie song (with additional tambourines!).
Sadly, though, it's not just motorsport; if you look at advertising in general, everything from mayonnaise to bingo for fat Northerners uses the same musical template.

Anyway, back to the topic...

#17 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,222 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 13:32

I was expecting Sky to move the F1 Channel into the Sport package by now and extract another £10 per month from us. They havent yet then fair play to them I guess.....

On another note, I couldnt go back to watching the BBC non HD feed now. Im really not into that sort of technology and Ive never really seen the fuss about it until I the F1 came along in HD. What a difference!

#18 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,619 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 13:37

I very much doubt it will remain separate from their sports subscription for too many more years. They are getting nearly as many viewers as their Premiership football matches and that has rarely tempted them to offer those to non sports subscribers. This is purely a guess but I think in the next couple of years the F1 channel will be bolted on the sports section as so far this appears to be an introductory offer. A couple of my friends have taken the plunge to Sky so they don't miss the F1 but have said if it goes the way people think it will, they will drop it altogether.

I agree. I really only expected it to be a one year deal in the HD sub to quell the masses after the Beeb dropped the bombshell. I think anyone who had Sky installed for the F1 coverage could rightly expect the deal to remain same and have a legitimate complaint if the price goes up. I do think that adding it to the SS sub will cost them more than they gain.

#19 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,619 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 13:41

I was expecting Sky to move the F1 Channel into the Sport package by now and extract another £10 per month from us. They havent yet then fair play to them I guess.....

On another note, I couldnt go back to watching the BBC non HD feed now. Im really not into that sort of technology and Ive never really seen the fuss about it until I the F1 came along in HD. What a difference!

Still to be seen what they are planning for this season as I have asked the question and they refuse to confirm. The BBC feed is HD although Sky use a higher bitrate, it's only the practise sessions on the red button that are SD. Highlights are the real killer, absolutely destroy the enjoyment for me.

Edited by Clatter, 02 January 2013 - 13:42.

Advertisement

#20 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,222 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 13:45

Still to be seen what they are planning for this season as I have asked the question and they refuse to confirm. The BBC feed is HD although Sky use a higher bitrate, it's only the practise sessions on the red button that are SD. Highlights are the real killer, absolutely destroy the enjoyment for me.

I was hoping any changes would have been made by now so assumed we had survived this year! Whatever happens, I'll just cough up and feel bad about it.

#21 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,619 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 13:52

I was hoping any changes would have been made by now so assumed we had survived this year! Whatever happens, I'll just cough up and feel bad about it.

Never assume. I agree that if they were going to change it then it really should have been announced by now. The web site still says it's part of the HD pack, but I'm just suspicious as they wouldn't confirm it will remain so.

#22 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 18:22

Just browsing through some random "Sport in 2012" photos on the SkySports website, someone didn't put much effort into the F1 picture thats for sure...

Posted Image

http://www1.skysport...3/sport-in-2012

#23 F1EC

F1EC

• 913 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 19:48

I've always been very impressed with their music selection. I don't always know the music, but it always seems appropriate and often strikes me as very clever.

#24 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 22:44

Honestly, who gives a **** about the music selection of an F1 broadcasting channel.
I just want the race live, a couple of decent commentators and some analysis.
BBC and Sky both provide that (albeit BBC only 50% of the time).

Are there really people bothered about the music selection of a 30 second weekend compilation??
The mind puzzles :(

#25 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 22:45

Just browsing through some random "Sport in 2012" photos on the SkySports website, someone didn't put much effort into the F1 picture thats for sure...

[img]http://i.imgur.com/LgqwT.png[/img

http://www1.skysport...3/sport-in-2012

Sky do love a good rehash.

#26 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 22:55

Honestly, who gives a **** about the music selection of an F1 broadcasting channel.
I just want the race live, a couple of decent commentators and some analysis.
BBC and Sky both provide that (albeit BBC only 50% of the time).

Are there really people bothered about the music selection of a 30 second weekend compilation??
The mind puzzles :(

I do. I just tune in to what see what music they will play. Not bothered about the race.

#27 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 23:28

I do. I just tune in to what see what music they will play. Not bothered about the race.

Sorry Sir, no offense ment
I didn't know there were F1 fans with such refined taste that a bad choice of music could massively spoil their enjoyment of the race weekend.

May the BBC be kind on your ears this year ;)

#28 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,165 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:56

Sky Sports F1
- Simon Lazenby (Presenter - Main)
- Georgie Thompson (Presenter - Magazine)
- Ted Kravitz (Presenter - Magazine + Pitlane)
- Steve Rider (Presenter - Legends)
- Martin Brundle (Commentator)
- David Croft (Commentator)
- Anthony Davidson (Commentator + Pundit)
- Damon Hill (Pundit)
- Johnny Herbert (Pundit)
- Natalie Pinkham (Pitlane)

Such a bloated line up. The bolded could be dismissed immediately with no detriment to the quality of the coverage. I wish they'd then spend the saved dough on their pitiful Indy coverage.

#29 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 13:29

Such a bloated line up. The bolded could be dismissed immediately with no detriment to the quality of the coverage. I wish they'd then spend the saved dough on their pitiful Indy coverage.

Where about 15 people watch it. I'm suprised, but glad, Sky persist with it.

#30 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,165 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 13:42

Where about 15 people watch it. I'm suprised, but glad, Sky persist with it.

Exactly, and exactly.

#31 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 14:37

I doubt they care. They've got their 700k viewers and the paddock are convinced its all wonderful, so who cares if a few wooden presenters are in the mix? Dropping them might improve the show for you guys, you never know.

#32 MinT

MinT

• 2,280 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 17:27

Goergie Thompson was actaully surprisingly good last season and certainly not a part of their "bloated" line-up I would get rid of - but then I guess its easy to be critical about coverage you dont actually watch....

Edited by MinT, 08 January 2013 - 17:28.

#33 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 17:38

I would happily see Thompson replace Lazenby if the latter does not improve this year. Rider is not part of their weekend coverage, but is part of their F1 Legends strand, which unfortunately does not get recognised in the wider spectrum as it is a good programme with lots of potential to improve in 2013 and focus on different personalities. Hill improved during 2012, so he should stay.

As for IndyCars, turn 15 viewers into 15,000 viewers, and, well... you'd be nearer the mark. :|

#34 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 18:14

I would happily see Thompson replace Lazenby if the latter does not improve this year. Rider is not part of their weekend coverage, but is part of their F1 Legends strand, which unfortunately does not get recognised in the wider spectrum as it is a good programme with lots of potential to improve in 2013 and focus on different personalities. Hill improved during 2012, so he should stay.

As for IndyCars, turn 15 viewers into 15,000 viewers, and, well... you'd be nearer the mark. :|

:up:

Agree, Georgie did a good job as a presenter, she is no F1 expert but i felt she was a little wasted on the SkyPad but good on The F1 Show, as was Ant, i'd much rather he was down in the pit lane with the others than stuck in their double decker tent.

Should also be noted that Ant, Herbet and Hill don't attend all the races as they chop and change as they have their own commitments. Hill improved infinitely over the course of the season, its no surprise he was a little too straight laced and flat at the start, it takes time to get used to being infront of the camera, i seem to recall it being a similar story with DC too.

#35 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,165 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 19:13

Goergie Thompson was actaully surprisingly good last season and certainly not a part of their "bloated" line-up I would get rid of - but then I guess its easy to be critical about coverage you dont actually watch....

Making assumptions out of thin air, inaccurate at that, adds nothing to the argument.

I agree with the bolded. My point in highlighting one of them was mainly that there is no need for effectively two (non-F1) presenters.

Edited by Disgrace, 08 January 2013 - 19:14.

#36 d246

d246

• 1,042 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 19:46

:up:

Agree, Georgie did a good job as a presenter, she is no F1 expert but i felt she was a little wasted on the SkyPad but good on The F1 Show, as was Ant, i'd much rather he was down in the pit lane with the others than stuck in their double decker tent.

Should also be noted that Ant, Herbet and Hill don't attend all the races as they chop and change as they have their own commitments. Hill improved infinitely over the course of the season, its no surprise he was a little too straight laced and flat at the start, it takes time to get used to being infront of the camera, i seem to recall it being a similar story with DC too.

My thoughts too. Still think there needs to be a bit of a cull though, starting with Simon.

#37 d246

d246

• 1,042 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 19:49

Does anyone know if Virgin Media will be offering the 30 day minimum window of subscribing to SkyF1 again? If so, has anyone worked out the most economically attractive way of viewing the live races between BBC and Sky. Somebody did it on here last year and it was pretty useful. If not, I'll have a look at it.

#38 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 20:23

Does anyone know if Virgin Media will be offering the 30 day minimum window of subscribing to SkyF1 again? If so, has anyone worked out the most economically attractive way of viewing the live races between BBC and Sky. Somebody did it on here last year and it was pretty useful. If not, I'll have a look at it.

I know on my freeview box (YouView) I can subscribe by the month for £32 and that gets all the Sky Sports channels for 30 days. If you work out the months where Sky have the most live races it might be worth while for you if Virgin allow that. The thing is its really not worth the money IMO.

#39 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 6,769 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 20:42

Bloated in all the right places. :love: :love:

Advertisement

#40 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,951 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:15

Posted Image

aren't we there YET?
it's taking ages.
mum, i have to pee,
dad i want an ice lolly

Jp

#41 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 19:40

Confirmation this evening that James Allen and Jennie Gow will be apart of the 5 Live team this year whilst Chessie Bent is the new producer.

#42 pRy

pRy

• 26,169 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 14:18

For an idea of how Suzy will do in the role here is her Hamilton interview:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/21193319

#43 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,317 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 15:20

Sky have moved SSF1 HD and SD to the 1N satellite. The HD moved Wednesday morning and the SD yesterday. Something's afoot. :(

#44 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 15:28

Sky have moved SSF1 HD and SD to the 1N satellite. The HD moved Wednesday morning and the SD yesterday. Something's afoot. :(

What does this mean?

#45 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 16:13

Yer, SkySportsF1 will be on channel 406 not 408, thats all it is.

http://www1.skysport..._medium=twitter

EDIT: Just found this on Sky's forums, just to clear up any concerns people have that Sky are going to move the F1 channel to a different subscription package.

Posted Image

Edited by olliek88, 25 January 2013 - 16:28.

#46 MinT

MinT

• 2,280 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 19:27

However if anough people keep paniking and asking them - I am sure they will start to consider it.....

#47 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,317 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 20:12

Let's hope they change the satellite that day as well then. I cannot receive 1N.

#48 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 6,769 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 21:53

No details on weather DC and EJ will stay with the beeb?

#49 lukestanton91

lukestanton91

• 246 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 22:06

No details on weather DC and EJ will stay with the beeb?

When asked at the Autosport Show, Ben Edwards said he would be commentating with DC again this Season

Edited by lukestanton91, 25 January 2013 - 22:07.

#50 windtravels

windtravels

• 901 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 22:08

For an idea of how Suzy will do in the role here is her Hamilton interview:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/21193319

It was somewhat of a subdued interview. And the camera work was awful, not that that is her fault.