Photo
* * * * - 6 votes

F1 Coverage Thread - 2013 Season (BBC and Sky)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2194 replies to this topic

#601 Xeriks

Xeriks

• 895 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 22:31

ESPN Star seemed to have finally gotten rid of Steve Slater. Hence, our commentary was the Sky commentary. Croft can be a bit, enthusiastic, at times.

A bit? he shouts non stop and needs to calm down, he seems totally different than when he was at BBC, his switch to Sky has made him become unbearable at times.

Advertisement

#602 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,872 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 22:46

Big thumbs up from me for the BBC's new intro (even if it could do without the unnecessary CGI). Perry and Clarkson also seem to be settling in well.

#603 Gyan

Gyan

• 851 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 23:25

A bit? he shouts non stop and needs to calm down, he seems totally different than when he was at BBC, his switch to Sky has made him become unbearable at times.

I'm giving him the benefit of doubt so far. Only been a day.

#604 SerratedEdge

SerratedEdge

• 122 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 23:26

Eddie Jordan not bothering this weekend?

#605 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 23:33

Eddie Jordan not bothering this weekend?

Eddie doesn't bother going to 'highlight' races and tbh I don't blame him.

#606 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 310 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:17

If anyone has a iPad and have the police scanner app, you can tune in to the f1 radio coms from the track. I heard Kimi talking to his team about his tyres in Q3 today

#607 GodHimself

GodHimself

• 206 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:25

Has anyone counted how many times Paul di Resta appeared on the screen today? It is getting beyond ridiculous. :lol:

#608 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:43

I saw lot of Sky commentators mentioning that Sutil was being asked to yield when the blue flags were shown. They seem to have misinterpreted blue flag means 'yield'. Blue flag only means 'a faster car is behind you'. The yield meaning is to be taken only in context i.e. why would we tell a backmarker that a faster car is behind you? To yield. The converse is not true. Sutil was visibly slow and was doing defensive driving for long periods of time. It is just an information given how restless and rambling the cars behind got because of the speed difference. Still Sutil did a masterful job of keeping them behind except for one occassion when it involved one of the cars coming off the pits.

#609 MinT

MinT

• 2,106 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:52

I have not seen blue flags for a legitimate battle before (unless in error)

#610 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:29

Clarkson... If only it would be Jeremy.

#611 MinT

MinT

• 2,106 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 16:57

Suzi Perry seemed to be trying out a new, slightly posher ascent today - made her appear a bit stiff and at times , a bit weird.

Do they really need Lee, Clarkson and Anderson ?

#612 sennafan

sennafan

• 81 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 19:29

Has anyone counted how many times Paul di Resta appeared on the screen today? It is getting beyond ridiculous. :lol:

Yup i watched the race first on my local belgian channel where they mentioned di resta only with the grid overview and the result of the grand prix. and then i watched the bbc hoghlights and when they mentioned the amazing race by di resta i was like huh did you watch the same race?

#613 g1n

g1n

• 879 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 23:08

Yup i watched the race first on my local belgian channel where they mentioned di resta only with the grid overview and the result of the grand prix. and then i watched the bbc hoghlights and when they mentioned the amazing race by di resta i was like huh did you watch the same race?

He is not a Belgian driver, BBC is British...connect the dots. Not that I am defending Di Resta, but this is pretty obvious stuff...

#614 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,900 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 23:14

Even when you have Button and Hamilton on the grid?

#615 sennafan

sennafan

• 81 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 23:53

He is not a Belgian driver, BBC is British...connect the dots. Not that I am defending Di Resta, but this is pretty obvious stuff...

Vettel ,Alonso ,Hamilton,Weber and Sutil also aren't Belgian they get mentioned often because they are racing.

#616 g1n

g1n

• 879 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 00:08

Vettel ,Alonso ,Hamilton,Weber and Sutil also aren't Belgian they get mentioned often because they are racing.

...and your point is?

#617 sennafan

sennafan

• 81 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:11

...and your point is?

If Di resta race was amazing he would have been mentioned in the Belgian broadcaast.

#618 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 1,922 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:48

If Di resta race was amazing he would have been mentioned in the Belgian broadcaast.

Unless the Belgian TV director was also suffering from Di Resta phobia.

#619 Alexis*27

Alexis*27

• 769 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:43

I saw lot of Sky commentators mentioning that Sutil was being asked to yield when the blue flags were shown. They seem to have misinterpreted blue flag means 'yield'. Blue flag only means 'a faster car is behind you'. The yield meaning is to be taken only in context i.e. why would we tell a backmarker that a faster car is behind you? To yield. The converse is not true. Sutil was visibly slow and was doing defensive driving for long periods of time. It is just an information given how restless and rambling the cars behind got because of the speed difference. Still Sutil did a masterful job of keeping them behind except for one occassion when it involved one of the cars coming off the pits.

Official wording of the FIA F1 Regs:

20.5 As soon as a car is caught by another car which is about to lap it during the race the driver must allow the faster driver past at the first available opportunity. If the driver who has been caught does not allow the faster driver past, waved blue flags will be shown to indicate that he must allow the following driver to overtake.

Advertisement

#620 sennafan

sennafan

• 81 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 19:01

Unless the Belgian TV director was also suffering from Di Resta phobia.

Why would anyone be afraid of Di Resta. oh no he wil bore me to death.

#621 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 20:38

I wonder who, in 2011, mentioned Ambrosia more, the BBC or Belgian TV?  ;)

#622 expert

expert

• 1,030 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 20:45

I thought Suzi was good. A bit nervous at times but good promise. A refreshing change to be honest, got a bit sick of Jake and the boys club by the end.

The test will be the chemistry she has with Eddie. I actually think this could be good for Eddie as he won't have Jake trying to take the piss out of him anymore. With DC, Suzi filled the 'layman' role quite nicely and that should carry over to Eddie (and Gary) at the live events. Jake started out that way but seemed to get too caught up in his own celeb by the end.

Edited by expert, 18 March 2013 - 20:46.

#623 Wiggy

Wiggy

• 450 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 14:57

Ok, for the 'i'm not having Sky installed' brigade, there is good news for you!!

For £9.99 per month, you can now have Sky Sports on your ipad or tablet/PC.

http://www.digitalsp...-on-now-tv.html

#624 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 14:59

£9.99 per DAY.

#625 Wiggy

Wiggy

• 450 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 15:12

Thanks for the information :) But I'm not sure why you're posting that for the 'I'm not having Sky installed' brigade, unless you think the reason they don't have it is because they can't afford it. Sky doesn't appeal to everyone - it has a certain style that doesn't appeal to every demographic group. Personally, I cringe every time I watch their F1 coverage, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Looks like its not quite the deal i first assumed, although i was posting it for F1 fans who may want to watch every race, but not have the full sky installation. Perhaps they were upset at missing the first race being shown LIVE as they have become accustomed to, because of Skys EXCLUSIVE agreement.

Everyone has the choice, thats what makes the whole arrangement so good. :cool:

#626 onemoresolo

onemoresolo

• 400 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 16:24

Ok, for the 'i'm not having Sky installed' brigade, there is good news for you!!

For £9.99 per month, you can now have Sky Sports on your ipad or tablet/PC.

http://www.digitalsp...-on-now-tv.html

It's £9.99 for 24 hours access, not for a month.

Still, not bad. Assuming people are happy to watch qualy on BBC, then Sky would cost £100 for the exclusive races. Much better than the £400 odd or whatever it is for the actual package.

Edited by onemoresolo, 19 March 2013 - 16:25.

#627 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,455 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 16:33

Still, not bad. Assuming people are happy to watch qualy on BBC, then Sky would cost £100 for the exclusive races. Much better than the £400 odd or whatever it is for the actual package.

You could just get a Sky Go ticket at the right times and get all the fri,sat and sun footage.

#628 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,484 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 16:44

I said it before, but a better deal would be to pay a smaller amount to get access to the full coverage of F1 - or any other event - over the weekend, rather than paying ten pounds for all Sky Sports channels for only a day.

#629 onemoresolo

onemoresolo

• 400 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 17:11

You could just get a Sky Go ticket at the right times and get all the fri,sat and sun footage.

A Sky Go ticket would be £35 a month though, which would work out more expensive even if timed to perfection. You would of course get the practice sessions and qualifying as well though.

#630 onemoresolo

onemoresolo

• 400 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 17:11

I said it before, but a better deal would be to pay a smaller amount to get access to the full coverage of F1 - or any other event - over the weekend, rather than paying ten pounds for all Sky Sports channels for only a day.

I don't disagree at all.

#631 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,956 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 21:20

Can we have the Sky Italia presenter here please :)

#632 SUPRAF1

SUPRAF1

• 366 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 21:33

If I remember correctly, Di Resta appears a lot on TV because he (and Force India) is very media accessible. I'm sure presenters would love to get a hold of Hamilton or Vettel but their teams are much more strict about that. So whenever they need an F1 driver on screen, Di Resta is available :p.

Edited by SUPRAF1, 21 March 2013 - 01:08.

#633 pdac

pdac

• 1,226 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 23:21

Looks like its not quite the deal i first assumed, although i was posting it for F1 fans who may want to watch every race, but not have the full sky installation. Perhaps they were upset at missing the first race being shown LIVE as they have become accustomed to, because of Skys EXCLUSIVE agreement.

Everyone has the choice, thats what makes the whole arrangement so good. :cool:

It would be nice if everyone chose not to take up any of these options from Sky. Then Sky might lose a bunch of money on the deal and drop it so that someone else (FTA) could take it up.

Won't happen though.

#634 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,256 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 20:01

New Sky mid-week show... http://www1.skysport...-midweek-report

#635 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,689 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 22:39

It would be nice if everyone chose not to take up any of these options from Sky. Then Sky might lose a bunch of money on the deal and drop it so that someone else (FTA) could take it up.

Won't happen though.

Just as likely that another pay channel would pick it up. BT seem to be throwing money at any sport they can at the moment.

#636 F1EC

F1EC

• 864 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 00:15

Just as likely that another pay channel would pick it up. BT seem to be throwing money at any sport they can at the moment.

Who knows. The BBC are keeping their hand in. Under a different government, that isn't out to destroy public broadcasting, they might be able to afford to buy the rights back.
If not, I'd like to see what BT could offer. It surely can't be worse than Sky.

#637 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,689 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 00:21

Who knows. The BBC are keeping their hand in. Under a different government, that isn't out to destroy public broadcasting, they might be able to afford to buy the rights back.
If not, I'd like to see what BT could offer. It surely can't be worse than Sky.

It would result in even more people having to pay extra for full coverage than is currently the case, so yes it could be worse. That really is the only complaint anyone can really have as there is nothing wrong with the actual broadcast.

#638 Smitla321

Smitla321

• 337 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:17

Again, Crofty was useless in being able to tell who is who today even when riding on board with a driver...

I don't know if its the same for anyone else, but I follow F1 to the extent that I can tell what driver is driving the car straight away as soon as I see it on TV, on board or normal camera shots. I have already got all the new drivers/helmets dialed in and I'm no commentator......

Surely Crofty needs to spend a little bit more time learning what drivers have what helmets so he can tell who is driving the car straight away? There were some real face palm moments today.

#639 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,689 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:48

Again, Crofty was useless in being able to tell who is who today even when riding on board with a driver...

I don't know if its the same for anyone else, but I follow F1 to the extent that I can tell what driver is driving the car straight away as soon as I see it on TV, on board or normal camera shots. I have already got all the new drivers/helmets dialed in and I'm no commentator......

Surely Crofty needs to spend a little bit more time learning what drivers have what helmets so he can tell who is driving the car straight away? There were some real face palm moments today.

Maybe you need to put yourself in their shoes. If you have ever seen shots of where they work they don't huge wide screen TV's, but quite small monitors which isn't as easy to spot things on.

Advertisement

#640 swerved

swerved

• 3,689 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:28

New Sky mid-week show... http://www1.skysport...-midweek-report

That had a distinctly low rent feel about it, apart from the fact that Ted said Kimi started the race from 5th, and the presenter said Webber started on the 2nd row, it all seemed a bit amateur hour, if they polish it a bit it could make a welcome mid-week addition though, ideal for digging into the post race news.

#641 MinT

MinT

• 2,106 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 18:04

I watched it and didnt notice - but as someone pointed out - commentators are not sat on a sofa watching a 32inch plasma in HD with zero pressure to come up with contstant commentary.

#642 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 3,056 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 18:48

Pinkham in shorts. :) She's fitting into the role quite nicely. :D

#643 pdac

pdac

• 1,226 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 18:49

Maybe you need to put yourself in their shoes. If you have ever seen shots of where they work they don't huge wide screen TV's, but quite small monitors which isn't as easy to spot things on.

Slightly off topic, but this is another example of how out of touch the powers that be are. Identification has all but disappeared from cars in order to add more advertising space. The experienced viewer can look at helmets and camera colours to figure out who's who, but I'm sure the difficulty in identifying drivers must add to alienate casual viewers. If they want to see audiences grow, they ought to have a re-think.

#644 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,900 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 18:58

Numbers would be worse when they change every year.

#645 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,689 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 18:58

Slightly off topic, but this is another example of how out of touch the powers that be are. Identification has all but disappeared from cars in order to add more advertising space. The experienced viewer can look at helmets and camera colours to figure out who's who, but I'm sure the difficulty in identifying drivers must add to alienate casual viewers. If they want to see audiences grow, they ought to have a re-think.

It's a problem that has been discussed here many times for a long time now.

#646 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 21:50

Anyone catch the Friday round-up on BBC News earlier? Baffled as to why they filmed it in the pitlane while GP2 qualifying was running and, therefore, you couldn't hear a bloody thing.

#647 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,256 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 22:04

That had a distinctly low rent feel about it, apart from the fact that Ted said Kimi started the race from 5th, and the presenter said Webber started on the 2nd row, it all seemed a bit amateur hour, if they polish it a bit it could make a welcome mid-week addition though, ideal for digging into the post race news.

It was their first edition - so will give them a bit of leeway, but it was a good starting point and hopefully will become a regular thing.

#648 fred54

fred54

• 192 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 00:07

Anyone catch the Friday round-up on BBC News earlier? Baffled as to why they filmed it in the pitlane while GP2 qualifying was running and, therefore, you couldn't hear a bloody thing.

Probably piggybacking on someone else's feed to save money. :p

#649 Don_Humpador

Don_Humpador

• 2,223 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:09

What is the point in having Anthony Davidson fly out to Sebring and then have him fly to Malaysia just for the weekend? Okay, I see that his flight was delayed, but...

It's so sad to see him stuck in a cupboard at Sky. Another Sky pillage for the sake of pillaging.

Edited by Don_Humpador, 23 March 2013 - 05:10.

#650 Lights

Lights

• 9,884 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:19

Well I don't know how they did it but Brundle and Hill just placed Senna infront of Hamilton on one lap pace so that settles it people.