Photo
* * * * - 6 votes

F1 Coverage Thread - 2013 Season (BBC and Sky)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2194 replies to this topic

#701 pRy

pRy

• 10,929 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:53

Wonder if anybody has asked her about how SHE feels about being overlooked for the BBC F1 gig?

Is it certain she was overlooked? She filled in for Jake that weekend he was away. Maybe she decided she didn't fancy the role after that weekend?

Advertisement

#702 STIGG

STIGG

• 179 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:21

Anyone know where the footage of post race press conferences can be found? Not the podium interviews. I know the transcripts are available on the FIA site but what about footage?

Interested to see today's. Kravitz just said on SKY that it was pretty heated between the Red Bull duo.

#703 Xeriks

Xeriks

• 868 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:32

I hope someone posts the pit radio channel for the race today!

#704 Risil

Risil

• 13,959 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 13:12

Watched Sky's coverage of the Grand Prix today. Hill and Herbert nowhere near as bad as some people on this thread make out. I'd say it's an improvement on last year's. Good for them. :up:

Edited by Risil, 24 March 2013 - 13:13.

#705 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 17:58

Why is there a 9 digit number above the sky sports f1 logo today?

So Sky can identify anyone who is uploading stuff to the Internet.

#706 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,773 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 18:22

I thought Perry improved significantly this weekend; I particularly liked how opinionated she was after the race (a nice contrast with Humphrey, who did tend towards being uncontroversial). The pit reporters' grilling of the Red Bull drivers and personnel was also very good.

Edited by midgrid, 24 March 2013 - 18:22.

#707 Risil

Risil

• 13,959 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 18:26

I thought Perry improved significantly this weekend; I particularly liked how opinionated she was after the race (a nice contrast with Humphrey, who did tend towards being uncontroversial). The pit reporters' grilling of the Red Bull drivers and personnel was also very good.

The post-race from the BBC was superb. Juxtaposing Vettel's interview with his capering around after the race before he realised he'd Done Bad was priceless.

#708 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,180 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 18:56

Yeah that was very good. Especially how they played both Webber's and Vettel's interviews at the same time, that was certainly making the best out of only having the highlights.

#709 stanga

stanga

• 1,124 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 19:08

Anyone notice Natalie Pinkham trying to make out the Russians and Finns have anything in common while interviewing Kimi? I got the impression events in WW2 and since have kind of scotched relations. She just looked more than a little uneducated. Typical lightweight female presenter; two a penny these days, sadly.

I think Hill and Herbert have really grown into their roles. Especially Hill, who used to look so nervous in the first few shows last year. I actually think the Sky presentation is very good value these days, with one or two exceptions.

#710 swerved

swerved

• 3,621 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 20:35

Watched Sky's coverage of the Grand Prix today. Hill and Herbert nowhere near as bad as some people on this thread make out. I'd say it's an improvement on last year's. Good for them. :up:

They have improved, but Hill used to be so static its a wonder no-one hung their hat and coat on him, he adds a lot more this time around, same for Herbert.

#711 PhilG

PhilG

• 474 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 20:48

Slightly off topic, but this is another example of how out of touch the powers that be are. Identification has all but disappeared from cars in order to add more advertising space. The experienced viewer can look at helmets and camera colours to figure out who's who, but I'm sure the difficulty in identifying drivers must add to alienate casual viewers. If they want to see audiences grow, they ought to have a re-think.

i agree, i watched the race today in Italy , and because i only saw the last 30 laps , i had no idea who was who till they put it on screen , the lack of numbers is a joke , identifying drivers by helmet colours is just stupid , BAR had the right idea when they wanted to do the cars in different colours ........the reason Nascar works with the fans is that they can see who is doing waht all the time ... its not good enough .

#712 apexpredator

apexpredator

• 242 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 20:55

Anyone notice Natalie Pinkham trying to make out the Russians and Finns have anything in common while interviewing Kimi? I got the impression events in WW2 and since have kind of scotched relations. She just looked more than a little uneducated. Typical lightweight female presenter; two a penny these days, sadly.

I was thinking the same thing. It was ridiculous, she clearly isn't aware of the history. Also I think a lot of Finns and Russians would find it offensive to not only be likened to each other but also to be stereotyped like that. Vodka, I mean really?

It's the equivalent of going up to Hamilton, Button and asking if they would like some scones with tea because they're British.

But to be fair to her, she has good chemistry with all the drivers and has that charm so they don't mind her so much. She also doesn't pretend to be a know-it-all or a wannabe hard-hitting presenter/journalist like Lee McKenzie.

#713 d246

d246

• 562 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 21:12

I was thinking the same thing. It was ridiculous, she clearly isn't aware of the history. Also I think a lot of Finns and Russians would find it offensive to not only be likened to each other but also to be stereotyped like that. Vodka, I mean really?

It's the equivalent of going up to Hamilton, Button and asking if they would like some scones with tea because they're British.

But to be fair to her, she has good chemistry with all the drivers and has that charm so they don't mind her so much. She also doesn't pretend to be a know-it-all or a wannabe hard-hitting presenter/journalist like Lee McKenzie.

I disagree. I thought Lee's post race interviews were direct and insightful to the point she may not get any favours from Seb again. Well done.

#714 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,368 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 21:14

So we can expect him to be REALLY REALLY DIFFICULT in a VT later on.

#715 d246

d246

• 562 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 21:19

So we can expect him to be REALLY REALLY DIFFICULT in a VT later on.

No, REALY, REALY DIFFICULT.....

#716 paulrobs

paulrobs

• 507 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 23:48

I watched the first two races live on SkyF1. Watched all of the practice sessions too albeit occasionally on x6 when nothing much is happening. I like the fact that I get to see far more than I ever did on ITV or BBC and you can see that they're putting money into it. I particularly like the Sky Pad and think that Anthony Davidson is brilliant on it and it's great to see the post-race analysis and views from every angle. Missing Georgie though... I'm ok with Ted, I think his honesty and love of F1 shines through so he's ok in my book. I'm ok with everyone at Sky apart from the chap who leads the show but that doesn't stop me from enjoying the coverage.

This last weekend I also recorded the BBC coverage and watched it tonight for comparison more than anything else. I thought this was good too and I'd have no problem watching F1 on the beeb. Trouble is I pay a HD subscription and I'd much rather watch the races live or close to live rather than wait 8 or 9 hours for the BBC highlights package when not showing races live. I know they have to think about where best to spend their money and that's fair enough but if they can't be bothered to show every race live I can't be bothered to watch their coverage.

I'd happily watch either coverage all things being equal.

#717 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,209 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:57

Sky F1 report, week 2: http://www1.skysport...ort-Episode-Two

#718 Owen

Owen

• 10,526 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:49

Jake Humphrey ‏@mrjakehumphrey
MNy people ask how BBC/SKY compare, well via @TVRatingsUK this is The Malaysian GP... BBC - 4.01m (peak 4.66m) SKY - 722k (peak 1.35m)

------------------

Man, Sky paid a lot of money to show F1 to 700,000 people :well:

#719 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,368 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:51

Wonderful bit of misrepresentation there.

BBC would beat Sky anyways, but when you don't have the same time slot...

Advertisement

#720 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,048 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 17:00

I bet Jake won't be tweeting the viewing figures for the Ballfoot games he covers with BT...

Edited by olliek88, 27 March 2013 - 17:00.

#721 Wiggy

Wiggy

• 450 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 17:17

MNy people ask how BBC/SKY compare, well via @TVRatingsUK this is The Malaysian GP... BBC - 4.01m (peak 4.66m) SKY - 722k (peak 1.35m)

------------------

Man, Sky paid a lot of money to show F1 to 700,000 people :well:

700,000 x £5 (that's for the HD package, but they could pay more by getting the full Sports package, a LOT of people don't realise you get Sky F1 with just the HD pack)

But yeah, that's £3.5million of revenue, plus whatever advertising revenue they can make by selling spots with 700000 petrol heads watching.

And this was an early morning race.

#722 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,389 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 17:31

700,000 x £5 (that's for the HD package, but they could pay more by getting the full Sports package, a LOT of people don't realise you get Sky F1 with just the HD pack)

But yeah, that's £3.5million of revenue, plus whatever advertising revenue they can make by selling spots with 700000 petrol heads watching.

That figure is a bit false as many of those viewers would have had the HD pack regardless of F1. What you need is the figures for new subscribers that have upgraded specifically for F1.

#723 Wiggy

Wiggy

• 450 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 17:48

That figure is a bit false as many of those viewers would have had the HD pack regardless of F1. What you need is the figures for new subscribers that have upgraded specifically for F1.

I am one of those, but never cancelled the HD element over the winter, as I like using the HD elsewhere. In the grand scheme, I would reckon the F1 costs a hell of a lot less for sky than the football rights.

#724 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 18:00

I am one of those, but never cancelled the HD element over the winter, as I like using the HD elsewhere. In the grand scheme, I would reckon the F1 costs a hell of a lot less for sky than the football rights.

Sky around £750 million a YEAR for just the Premier League. Take a 0 off for F1 I reckon.

#725 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,389 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 18:18

True, but they get a lot more games with the football rights. The cost per game might not be that far off the cost per race.

#726 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,209 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 20:43

Fascinating hearing Nigel Roebuck on The F1 Show at the moment, worth watching :up:

#727 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 00:02

As I understand it, Sky would be operating at a monumental loss if their sole income was subscriptions, so it's mostly to do with the advertising.

#728 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:12

Unless I'm mistaken, it only seems as though Apple and Santander have adverts during the breaks? And if I never see that "ALIVE! AMAZING! BRILLIANT" iPad ad with the annoying music again it'll be too soon.

#729 MinT

MinT

• 2,040 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:26

------------------

Jake Humphrey showing his total lack of class.

Quit trolling and fcuk off back to the BT

#730 Risil

Risil

• 13,959 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:28

How so? Seems a valid point to make, that BBC broadcasts reach a bigger audience.

#731 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,547 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 13:08

Shouldn't he be comparing like with like though?
The only true comparison is sky's live viewers vs bbcs live viewers.
Oh wait......

#732 apexpredator

apexpredator

• 242 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 13:17

How so? Seems a valid point to make, that BBC broadcasts reach a bigger audience.

Comparing BBC and Sky on viewing figures is like apples and oranges. One is available to every household that has a TV, 'free' for all, the other is available to the select few who like F1 enough to fork out for the subscription fees. It's like saying Toyota sells 10 million cars where as Ferrari only sells 4,000 therefore Toyota is better :rolleyes: Of course the cheaper option will have the larger market share.

Also BBC is a channel that people will inevitably tune into when they turn their TV is on. Even those who are flicking through the channels will contribute to that peak viewers number for the BBC.

#733 Xeriks

Xeriks

• 868 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 13:56

How is Jake trolling? he makes a valid point, he might be wrong, but he isn't exactly "trolling" that's just a silly thing to say.

#734 Crazy Ninja

Crazy Ninja

• 1,370 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 17:34

I forgot to mention it at the time, but i thought SKY's post race grilling of Christian Horner was a bit over the top. Herbert and Hill in particular seemed to take a little too much pleasure from it. Maybe i was the only one as nobody else has mentioned it.

#735 MaccaMerc

MaccaMerc

• 22 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 22:31

If you added the HD pack just for the F1 season you might not have been able to anyway. Adding the HD pack enters you into a 12 month contract and you would have to pay a fee to get out of it.

Shouldn't he be comparing like with like though?
The only true comparison is sky's live viewers vs bbcs live viewers.
Oh wait......

Even when they are both live the BBC still wipes the floor compared to the BBC. Even why Sky are the only ones showing it live they still can't get anywhere near the number of viewers the BBC programme gets.

#736 JonathanProc

JonathanProc

• 266 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 22:52

BBC still wipes the floor compared to the BBC. Even why Sky are the only ones showing it live they still can't get anywhere near the number of viewers the BBC programme gets.

The BBC is available to everyone though. Even if the Sky programmes were clearly better they'd still get less views. Some think Sky is better currently - We're all entitled to our own opinion.
It's even likely that some people that watch F1 on the BBC that aren't huge fans of F1 have no idea that Sky Sports F1 even exists!

Edited by JonathanProc, 03 April 2013 - 22:53.

#737 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,989 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 23:41

Even when they are both live the BBC still wipes the floor compared to the BBC. Even why Sky are the only ones showing it live they still can't get anywhere near the number of viewers the BBC programme gets.

Subscribed service doesn't get as many as a free one? well, you'd never guess it :p

#738 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,375 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:56

If you added the HD pack just for the F1 season you might not have been able to anyway. Adding the HD pack enters you into a 12 month contract and you would have to pay a fee to get out of it.

The BBC could broadcast two hours of a dog doing a poop in slow-mo and people would say it's "amazing" and something only the BBC could produce.

#739 Arry2k

Arry2k

• 360 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:09

The BBC could broadcast two hours of a dog doing a poop in slow-mo and people would say it's "amazing" and something only the BBC could produce.

:lol:

Advertisement

#740 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 2,944 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:09

He posted facts.

I think the truth hurts.

#741 smitten

smitten

• 1,442 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:26

I don't see any other channel currently producing such art.

#742 Wlleiotl

Wlleiotl

• 907 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:34

i wonder whether jake will be posting the viewers BT get compared to sky next season

#743 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,926 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 13:51

:rotfl:
Sky production team looks more slick this year, I feel it may now be the better option IMO. Although neither teams come close to the 2011 coverage we had. That was really good, and so was 2010 minus Legard.

#744 MaccaMerc

MaccaMerc

• 22 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 16:56

It would probably still win plenty of awards with what is classed as art these days. :stoned:

#745 MaccaMerc

MaccaMerc

• 22 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 17:02

The BBC is available to everyone though. Even if the Sky programmes were clearly better they'd still get less views. Some think Sky is better currently - We're all entitled to our own opinion.
It's even likely that some people that watch F1 on the BBC that aren't huge fans of F1 have no idea that Sky Sports F1 even exists!

I would be impressed if I spoke to someone who didn't know about the channel given how much publicity Sky Sports has been giving the channel especially since the start of this year.
I aren't saying people's opinions are wrong or right, just that the BBC will always win viewing numbers wise for the reason you gave. I have Sky Sports F1 (got Sky just in time to get it as part of HD) but will still be watching the race live on the BBC where possible I just prefer their style.

One thing that amuses me is that when people say that it is only mainly part-time fans that watch on the BBC. It really does.

#746 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,048 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 17:26

He posted facts.

I think the truth hurts.

Yes, we all care deeply about how many viewer's a channel gets. Of course it doesn't take into account anyone with a TV gets BBC and Sky is a subscription service so viewing figures are never going to be comparable.

An example, only 1M people watched Arsenal Vs Bayern on Sky last month yet 3.76M watched Barca Vs Milan on ITV despite it not involving an english team, why? Because if you own a TV license you get the channel for free.

The same applies here, in no way is it linked to the quality of the coverage (lets face it, who wants to watch Adrian Chiles drone on, and on, and on) but who its available too, implying that people aren't watching Sky's coverage because of its quality (i assume thats why you said "the truth hurts", why else would you?) is naive, at best...

Edited by olliek88, 04 April 2013 - 17:29.

#747 JonathanProc

JonathanProc

• 266 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 18:48

I would be impressed if I spoke to someone who didn't know about the channel given how much publicity Sky Sports has been giving the channel especially since the start of this year.

Really? Why? The last time (and I think only time) I saw advertisements for the channel was on this website - And this website is probably not visited by people that are not huge F1/Motorsport fans very often.

One thing that amuses me is that when people say that it is only mainly part-time fans that watch on the BBC. It really does.

This is not my opinion. I'm not saying that you're saying it is my opinion though, just thought I'd point that out! I personally have watched the opening two races live on Sky but then watched the highlights later on the BBC. I find it interesting hearing the differing opinions of Brundle/Croft compared to Edwards/Coulthard.

#748 smitten

smitten

• 1,442 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 19:10

Why? BBC gets a huge casual audience because there is the square-root of bugger-all on TV just after Sunday lunch. I am willing to bet that there is some correlation between the weather and the BBC audience.

#749 Owen

Owen

• 10,526 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 19:57

He posted facts.

I think the truth hurts.

I just wonder how Sky sees it. Can we call it a failure? Or is that too harsh?

#750 P123

P123

• 8,412 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 21:52

I just wonder how Sky sees it. Can we call it a failure? Or is that too harsh?

Why would it be a failure, unless you are seriously of the belief that it should be achieving similar viewing figures to the BBC? The live viewing figures compare very favourably with all but their top football matches (which costs them £14m per game), especially when you take into consideration the time of broadcast. F1 is a bargain in comparison- I'd say Sky must be very happy. Whether F1 should be is another matter...

Edited by P123, 04 April 2013 - 21:54.