Photo
* * * * - 6 votes

F1 Coverage Thread - 2013 Season (BBC and Sky)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2194 replies to this topic

#751 JonathanProc

JonathanProc

• 267 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 22:00

The live viewing figures compare very favourably with all but their top football matches (which costs them £14m per game), especially when you take into consideration the time of broadcast. F1 is a bargain in comparison- I'd say Sky must be very happy. Whether F1 should be is another matter...

Do you how much it costs Sky per race? That'd be an interesting comparison. Apologies if it's already been mentioned!

Advertisement

#752 JeanClaude

JeanClaude

• 73 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 22:14

Do you how much it costs Sky per race? That'd be an interesting comparison. Apologies if it's already been mentioned!

I read that BBC pay £20m per season while Sky pays £45m for all the races live.
will try to find a link

JC

#753 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 1,939 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 22:35

Why would it be a failure, unless you are seriously of the belief that it should be achieving similar viewing figures to the BBC? The live viewing figures compare very favourably with all but their top football matches (which costs them £14m per game), especially when you take into consideration the time of broadcast. F1 is a bargain in comparison- I'd say Sky must be very happy. Whether F1 should be is another matter...

I don't know where you get £14 million per game from. Sky is currently paying £760 million each year for the Premier League TV rights and there are 380 Premier League matches each season. That works out at £2 million per match. If it costs Sky £45 million for the TV rights to 19 F1 races, is that really such a bargain - especially as it only has exclusive live coverage of half the races but it has a live monopoly on every Premier League match.

#754 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,696 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 22:48

They don't show all the games though. So while they bought rights to them, their per-broadcast fee is astronomical.

#755 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,547 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 22:51

I don't know where you get £14 million per game from. Sky is currently paying £760 million each year for the Premier League TV rights and there are 115 Live Premier League Matches each season. That works out at £6.6 million per match. If it costs Sky £45 million for the TV rights to 19 F1 races, is that really such a bargain - especially as it only has exclusive live coverage of half the races but it has a live monopoly on every Premier League match.

Corrected your mistakes
F1 costs Sky £2.3 million per race, only £300k per "event" less.

However, they do get 3 days coverage per "event" with F1 whereas they get a maximum of 3 hours per football match with viewing figures comparable to the footballs I still agree with your sentiment that F1 is good value (in comparison to the Premier League)

#756 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 22:53

Each individual televised match will now cost the broadcasters £6.6m, up from £4.7m under the previous deal.

http://www.guardian....-billion-sky-bt

#757 JonathanProc

JonathanProc

• 267 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 22:57

So when you guys say "£x million per race/match" that's purely for the TV rights?

If that's the case then it would be interesting to know the figure for overall costs - TV rights plus costs for staff, logistics, etc...

#758 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,547 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 23:11

http://www.guardian....-billion-sky-bt

Thats next season

#759 robefc

robefc

• 8,090 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 23:13

Fascinating hearing Nigel Roebuck on The F1 Show at the moment, worth watching :up:

Quite the contrast with poor Johnny Herbert wasn't it?!

It's amazing when you hear a pundit or journo like that compared to the vast majority, I think Neville has shown up the majority of football pundits in a similar way.

I love listening to people where you feel you are being informed by someone who knows more than you and who's views are worth listening to.

I like GA on bbc too.

Edited by robefc, 04 April 2013 - 23:14.

Advertisement

#760 WonderboyF1

WonderboyF1

• 115 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 20:42

I was literally in stitches when Johnny couldnt get the Skypad to work on tonights F1 show! :rotfl:

#761 johnhen

johnhen

• 61 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:18

I was literally in stitches when Johnny couldnt get the Skypad to work on tonights F1 show! :rotfl:

Me too. It was cringey too though, Bianci schooled him. Thing about Johnny Herbert is that he's obviously very likeable. But I don't understand why Sky feel the need to use him for EVERYTHING. He does all the free practice links, he's commentated on free practice a few times, he's in every link pre, post and during qualy and the race, and they've sent him to interview people. And all this when his knowledge isn't really insightful at all. He can never add anything the way Brundle can, and actually even Hill had stepped it up this year. Less wodden, and more up to speed on current F1. I think last year he had just been away from the sport for to long.
I like Herbert and hate to bash, but he adds nothing and just reminds me of Blundell on ITV.

#762 Haribo

Haribo

• 719 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 15:07

For anyone wanting the F1 HD Channel that comes "for free" with the SKY HD subscription, this is the last day you can order it, before the requirement changes that you need the Sports Pack in order to see the F1 channel

#763 Absulute

Absulute

• 881 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:07

Yep, that's why the skypad is a pointless gimmick, completely unnecessary.

#764 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,630 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 21:11

Yep, that's why the skypad is a pointless gimmick, completely unnecessary.

Because JH couldn't work it?

#765 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,859 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 23:05

I think Skypad is great. There's a multitude of tools they can use to highlight incidents, lines, technical updates etc and it flows quite well when it works and when the operator uses it. It's a great way for them to get the ideas across. Brundle came very close to doing something similar in some of the BBC forums; for me the most enjoyable ones which were not just about muscling in on the team photo's.

#766 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 23:57

I think Skypad is great. There's a multitude of tools they can use to highlight incidents, lines, technical updates etc and it flows quite well when it works and when the operator uses it. It's a great way for them to get the ideas across. Brundle came very close to doing something similar in some of the BBC forums; for me the most enjoyable ones which were not just about muscling in on the team photo's.

I think it has potential, but they have absolutely no need to show the presenter actually using it, it just smacks of 'look how slick we are and look at all the things we can do'. Memories of Andy Gray's last word, a show Sky put on for seemingly no other purpose other than to stroke Andy Gray's ego.

#767 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:33

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/21909762

What a ******.

#768 WonderboyF1

WonderboyF1

• 115 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:47

The bbc has clearly manipulated this to make Kimi look as bad as possible, im not defending him, but there appears to be some bad blood. Lee needs to realise unfortunally this is how he is, rather than getting offended and making the video seem worse than it actually is.

#769 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,859 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:51

I think it has potential, but they have absolutely no need to show the presenter actually using it, it just smacks of 'look how slick we are and look at all the things we can do'. Memories of Andy Gray's last word, a show Sky put on for seemingly no other purpose other than to stroke Andy Gray's ego.

The interaction is the point - it adds authority. Without the presenter it's just a VT. The question to ask is whether it is effective as tool to communicate ideas, and it is.

#770 robefc

robefc

• 8,090 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:02

The interaction is the point - it adds authority. Without the presenter it's just a VT. The question to ask is whether it is effective as tool to communicate ideas, and it is.

Completely agree with both your posts, although I don't think two presenters are/were necessary.

The analysis with the skypad is also sorely needed because of the light weight punditry from Hill and Herbert imo.

#771 learningtobelost

learningtobelost

• 685 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:09

The bbc has clearly manipulated this to make Kimi look as bad as possible, im not defending him, but there appears to be some bad blood. Lee needs to realise unfortunally this is how he is, rather than getting offended and making the video seem worse than it actually is.

The only bit that's even remotely bad is the headline, otherwise it's just Kimi being Kimi... the BBC are just working the Myth, it's what the media do. Nothing to see here.

#772 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,859 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:33

Completely agree with both your posts, although I don't think two presenters are/were necessary.

The analysis with the skypad is also sorely needed because of the light weight punditry from Hill and Herbert imo.

Two presenters/one presenter thing I can't get excited about. The lightweight punditry I can. They are rubbish and one of the main reasons that I'll tend to stick with BBC when they do a live broadcast.

#773 Arry2k

Arry2k

• 363 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:20

:up: Totally agree. The Skypad, like most tools, can be quite effective if used properly.

#774 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 19:14

:up: Totally agree. The Skypad, like most tools, can be quite effective if used properly.

I like the virtual eye thingy too. And I'm not really sure how it's doing anything to anyone's ego. Gary Neville uses it all the time.

As for Kimi, that's what you get when you ask the same stupid questions over and over again and tell him what to do.

#775 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 19:33

I like Lee, she's a good interview most of the time but i think its safe to say we learnt a while ago not to ask Kimi questions about his emotions and/or feelings and anything that's unoriginal. Lee pretty much filled the quota by the looks of it. Although there was nothing wrong with asking Kimi to take his glasses of IMHO, harder to interview someone when you can't make eye contact with them.

Edited by olliek88, 10 April 2013 - 19:34.

#776 apexpredator

apexpredator

• 242 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 19:58

The BBC's video of Kimi was appalling, it was bordering on defamation of character. They artificially added the boo's in the background with the fans when he walks off to the paddock instead of signing autographs (confirmed by people who were actually in the audience).

Lee's request for him to take off the glasses was pretty ridiculous too, since when can a journalist, or anybody, dictate to anybody else what they can and can't wear. Wow he's the first F1 driver/sports personality to wear sunglasses during an interview, get a grip.

Kimi is actually screens shit journalists from good ones. He's very intelligent and shows it if the journalists ask him good and unique questions. When it's the same old bull from these 3rd grade 'journalists' (and let's face it, F1 media is at one of the lowest standards as far as journalism goes). They ask the same old nonsensical questions that are so self-explanatory and obvious most of the time.

I used to think Lee's quite alright but she's obviously bitter about losing to Suzi for the big job, now looking at other ways to get attention.

#777 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 20:06

The BBC's video of Kimi was appalling, it was bordering on defamation of character. They artificially added the boo's in the background with the fans when he walks off to the paddock instead of signing autographs (confirmed by people who were actually in the audience).

Lee's request for him to take off the glasses was pretty ridiculous too, since when can a journalist, or anybody, dictate to anybody else what they can and can't wear. Wow he's the first F1 driver/sports personality to wear sunglasses during an interview, get a grip.

Kimi is actually screens shit journalists from good ones. He's very intelligent and shows it if the journalists ask him good and unique questions. When it's the same old bull from these 3rd grade 'journalists' (and let's face it, F1 media is at one of the lowest standards as far as journalism goes). They ask the same old nonsensical questions that are so self-explanatory and obvious most of the time.

I used to think Lee's quite alright but she's obviously bitter about losing to Suzi for the big job, now looking at other ways to get attention.

Think he managed that all by himself.

#778 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 20:11

If he is a disrespectful douche, then he needs to be called out on it. Had it been Lewis or Alonso, this board would have crashed. The fact that Kimi gets a free pass most of the time is appalling.

#779 Absulute

Absulute

• 881 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 20:20

Agreed. Just have a producer cue up the VT. The presenter doing it himself adds nothing.

Advertisement

#780 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,696 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 20:49

Was it the BBC or ITV that got in hot water over how they edited a video/documentary of the Queen?

#781 P123

P123

• 8,627 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 20:56

Kimi's royalty now?

#782 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,696 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 20:58

No but you get into dangerous territory when you start falsely editing things.

#783 P123

P123

• 8,627 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 20:59

Although there was nothing wrong with asking Kimi to take his glasses of IMHO, harder to interview someone when you can't make eye contact with them.

Especially when interviewing a monotone mumbler who lacks manners. Although his surly couldn't care less attitude does give us all a laugh, so there are some positives.

#784 P123

P123

• 8,627 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 21:01

No but you get into dangerous territory when you start falsely editing things.

Did they? Or is it one of those 'somebody said it on a forum so it must be true' things? Must be a before and after video somewhere. I wonder why would they even go to the trouble although it does happen constantly in the F1 print media so maybe it's catching.

Anyway, I thought this was why Kimi's fans loved Kimi- he doesn't care about being a crowd pleaser?

Edited by P123, 10 April 2013 - 21:04.

#785 pdac

pdac

• 1,175 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 21:06

Di Resta is much better than Kimi anyway. Forget Kimi. More Di Resta on the BBC - that's what I say.

#786 F1EC

F1EC

• 864 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 21:29

If he is a disrespectful douche, then he needs to be called out on it. Had it been Lewis or Alonso, this board would have crashed. The fact that Kimi gets a free pass most of the time is appalling.

I can see how he'd be a bit of a hero to teenage boys, in a kind of beavis and butthead way. Maybe the sport's trying to appeal to all types of fans?

#787 chdphd

chdphd

• 1,435 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 22:22

Was it the BBC or ITV that got in hot water over how they edited a video/documentary of the Queen?

This?

The BBC has today apologised to the Queen after admitting it "misrepresented" her by implying she stormed out of a photoshoot with American photographer Annie Leibovitz.

http://www.guardian....stingethics.bbc

#788 weareracing

weareracing

• 898 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 22:36

The Kimi Raikkonen "interview".
Old clips cut and spliced to "make" a story run, shame they missed the fact that 2012 teamwear was being worn by Kimi in their montage.
Remember the BBC had no live coverage of the 2013 season until this coming week-end in China, they needed a bit of spice to compete with Sky.
The down side for me is that I used to enjoy Lee's work in the pits, but this interview......... :down:
Why irritate Kimi with a demand at the very beginning?
And those questions, if you haven't listened to the interview I urge you to do so before commenting, the content of Lee's questions was 2nd rate to say the least.
If those were HER QUESTIONS (knowing how media works they could well have been scripted by a production assistant) then another :down:
Final thought........
Kimi's career is not reliant on his relationship with paddock journalists.
Paddock journalists on the other hand.............. :smoking:

#789 Amin

Amin

• 198 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 22:43

Did they? Or is it one of those 'somebody said it on a forum so it must be true' things? Must be a before and after video somewhere. I wonder why would they even go to the trouble although it does happen constantly in the F1 print media so maybe it's catching.

Anyway, I thought this was why Kimi's fans loved Kimi- he doesn't care about being a crowd pleaser?

I don't know about the supposedly edited 'boos' in the video but this comment by Cool Beans in the Lotus thread explains some of the inclusions of different footage from last year: http://forums.autosp...w...t&p=6191143

As for Lee, she wrote this article after the Australian GP weekend: http://www.motorspor...e-in-australia/

"On the Sunday morning after qualifying I stomped back to my boss saying that my days of interviewing Kimi Räikkönen were over. I am up for someone being quirky and different, and I have actually always enjoyed interviewing the monosyllabic Finn, but at the end of last season it was becoming ridiculous, pre-season testing wasn’t any better and after qualifying I honestly couldn’t hear or make one word out of what he was saying. He could have announced his retirement and I would have said, “OK, thanks Kimi, good luck in the race”. I think I got to lap 38 when I went onto BBC talkback, the system that we use to communicate with our bosses in the TV gallery, and retracted my earlier statement. Was it a great winning driver interview? It wasn’t the best, although Kimi did speak legibly, answered every question well and even had a little laugh although I’m not sure why, which is slightly worrying! I’d better watch it back in case I did miss something".

This was article was written before the interview with Kimi that is included on that video.

#790 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,696 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 22:45

More than that, it seems like a good way not to get hired by the teams/sponsors to do PR events outside of race weekends.

#791 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,535 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:51

Kimi's a cock out of the car but that's fine, the sport needs something more than automatons and Mansell, my favourite driver, is a solid gold bell-end out of the car but that's fine too. I watch this to be entertained and that's what bell-ends do.

#792 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,859 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:14

Kimi's career is not reliant on his relationship with paddock journalists.
Paddock journalists on the other hand.............. :smoking:

Yeah! She deserves to lose her job for asking him to remove his glasses. What a total bitch. Perhaps we can Facebook and have her sacked? Who's with me?

#793 hansmann

hansmann

• 261 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:21

Nonsense .
Just regular Kimi, that's why we like him .
Never over analyze the Kimster; there are no good questions for him , just enjoy the show .
If he ever learned better manners, or used more words, he would be the most boring guy on the grid, apart from di Resta and Ferrari bosses speaking English .

#794 hansmann

hansmann

• 261 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:31

Yeah! She deserves to lose her job for asking him to remove his glasses. What a total bitch. Perhaps we can Facebook and have her sacked? Who's with me?

Hell yeah, how dare the woman ??
I just imagined Eddie doing the interview, slapping the specs out of Kimi's face and calling him son .;)

#795 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,696 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:10

If Jordan did the interview Kimi would be the most articulate part of it.

#796 Jamiednm

Jamiednm

• 1,734 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:28

Nah, he just comes across as arrogant, because he is. It is a perfectly acceptable request to ask if the person you are interviewing to take off their glasses. How is she supposed to pick up on his emotions and be able to interview him properly if she hasn't got a clue what he's thinking? I just think it was down right rude of him.

#797 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,630 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:43

Nah, he just comes across as arrogant, because he is. It is a perfectly acceptable request to ask if the person you are interviewing to take off their glasses. How is she supposed to pick up on his emotions and be able to interview him properly if she hasn't got a clue what he's thinking? I just think it was down right rude of him.

But it's not perfectly acceptable to refuse?

#798 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:48

But it's not perfectly acceptable to refuse?

In terms of etiquette, which is what is essentially the crux here, no, no it's not perfectly acceptable to refuse because it's poor manners and displays a poor attitude with disregard for the interviewer and fans at home.

Not to mention the bullshit "better do this quick otherwise I'm going".

#799 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,696 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:54

F1 drivers are often wearing sunglasses in interviews. Maybe not sit downs but I don't watch every interview in hot climates to know for sure.

Advertisement

#800 apexpredator

apexpredator

• 242 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:56

It is a perfectly acceptable request to ask if the person you are interviewing to take off their glasses.

Actually it isn't at all 'perfectly acceptable'. Perhaps it depends on where you come from and the regional culture, but personally it's a very rude thing to suggest what somebody can and can't wear, even if it's propositioned via a request. I'm from London though so maybe etiquette is different to where you are from, and wear Kimi is from. It's an entirely subjective thing.

Like I said though, he's not the first sports personality to wear sunglasses during an interview and any halfwit who's been in the business as long as she has would and should know that Kimi is the last person to make that sort of request to.

The real reason is that interview has a back story that has already been discussed in a few pages ago, and there already was a bad vibe before the interview had even started because of what she had written about him in a magazine. It seems Lee knew exactly what she was doing when she asked that question, to get a colourful response from him which made for some good footage.