Photo
* * * * - 6 votes

F1 Coverage Thread - 2013 Season (BBC and Sky)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2194 replies to this topic

#801 Amin

Amin

• 192 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 13:40

In terms of etiquette, which is what is essentially the crux here, no, no it's not perfectly acceptable to refuse because it's poor manners and displays a poor attitude with disregard for the interviewer and fans at home.

Not to mention the bullshit "better do this quick otherwise I'm going".

Why is that bullshit? He doesn't have to talk to her.

Advertisement

#802 weareracing

weareracing

• 888 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 14:00

Can't believe some of the comments defending Lee on this one.
It was a POOR interview, the "bad-boy" video clips were badly (using 2012 footage) put together, and she had slagged Kimi off (Hey Lee, English is NOT everyone's first language) in an article after the Melbourne GP.
As I say I usually enjoy Lee's work in the pit-lane, but on this one she was in the wrong.
Why defend the indefensible ?
Because it's the BBC, or because it's Lee, or because you don't like Kimi :rolleyes: ?

#803 smitten

smitten

• 1,442 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 14:38

Why defend the indefensible ?

Because some people think she wasn't the one in the wrong?

Why slag her off? Is it because it's the BBC, because it's Lee, or because you like Kimi?

Oh for a world of black and white....

#804 apexpredator

apexpredator

• 242 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 14:54

Because some people think she wasn't the one in the wrong?

Why slag her off? Is it because it's the BBC, because it's Lee, or because you like Kimi?

Oh for a world of black and white....

To be fair anybody can apply the same to you, why defend her? Is it because it's the BBC, because it's Lee, or because you don't like Kimi?

Let's say we agree that Kimi was rude and being an ass, how on earth does that justify the BBC going out of their way to give such a negative portrayal of the guy? Okay so show what happened on the day, that he said no and even told her to hurry up. But then they start digging through footage from last year of him, like some sort of witch hunt. No dignified broadcasting institution would let their own opinion shape the entire thing. Since when do these interviews show what's said before the interview has actually begun? For all he knew the camera's weren't even rolling. But more to the point, it turned from being a feature on the most recent GP winner to a look how bad Kimi is video.

Now is it fair that in all this, Kimi will rightly not give the BBC the time of day in the future and who loses out? The fans. I wouldn't be surprised if he refuses to do any more of these special interviews with them.

Edited by apexpredator, 11 April 2013 - 14:55.

#805 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,686 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 15:14

I think we can all agree that she needs to be dragged behind the safety car in front of the crowds until she's just a red smear on the tarmac. Shall I start the petition?

#806 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,282 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 15:26

I don't see any need to punish the track.

#807 smitten

smitten

• 1,442 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 15:27

To be fair anybody can apply the same to you, why defend her? Is it because it's the BBC, because it's Lee, or because you don't like Kimi?

whooosh

#808 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,944 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 15:32

Ahhh China coming up, lovely!

I'd just like to say to any BBC viewers, welcome to the 2013 F1 season.

#809 weareracing

weareracing

• 888 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 16:02

That's your 2nd "measured" response Buttoneer, why the hysteria?
Is it because you lack an arguement in defence of your position?
If you honestly think that Lee conducted a measured interview with Kimi that added to our understanding of him then go ahead, present your case.
I've admitted that as a rule I enjoy Lee's input, but this was a bad day at the office for her.
The point I was making earlier was that paddock journalists and media need to maintain credibility with the drivers if they want access to them, their jobs depend on it.
Somehow that seems to have irked you into multiple spasms of the knee :kiss:

#810 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,686 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 16:09

I didn't see an interview. I saw a VT with various snippets and a soundtrack designed to promote a bad boy image. Less of an interview, more of a mood board.

#811 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

• 4,426 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 16:42

Actually it isn't at all 'perfectly acceptable'. Perhaps it depends on where you come from and the regional culture, but personally it's a very rude thing to suggest what somebody can and can't wear, even if it's propositioned via a request. I'm from London though so maybe etiquette is different to where you are from, and wear Kimi is from. It's an entirely subjective thing.

Like I said though, he's not the first sports personality to wear sunglasses during an interview and any halfwit who's been in the business as long as she has would and should know that Kimi is the last person to make that sort of request to.

The real reason is that interview has a back story that has already been discussed in a few pages ago, and there already was a bad vibe before the interview had even started because of what she had written about him in a magazine. It seems Lee knew exactly what she was doing when she asked that question, to get a colourful response from him which made for some good footage.

#812 MinT

MinT

• 2,038 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 17:42

I fully understand and agree Kimi is his own worst enemy and has taken this whole "I am too cool to answer questions" thing too far but - why do te BBC feel the need to edit a piece like that - including the booing and him tripping up the stairs - what is it achieving for them exactly ? Not really the editorial standards many people bang on about with regard to the good old BBC is it ?

#813 sennafan

sennafan

• 81 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 17:51

I fully understand and agree Kimi is his own worst enemy and has taken this whole "I am too cool to answer questions" thing too far but - why do te BBC feel the need to edit a piece like that - including the booing and him tripping up the stairs - what is it achieving for them exactly ? Not really the editorial standards many people bang on about with regard to the good old BBC is it ?

He answers the questions. only the answers are verry short.

#814 bub

bub

• 2,248 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 17:57

I found it quite funny. Maybe that's what they were going for?

#815 goingthedistance

goingthedistance

• 2,258 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 18:10

I saw the BBC thing as a swipe back at Kimi who may have treated them a bit poorly? Perhaps certain people are sick of Kimi being portrayed as "cool" when in fact he's just plain rude most of the time.

I really love Kimi in the cockpit, but recently I'm not so sure about him out of it (which thankfully doesn't matter much to me). I think he can be quite priggish.

Surprisingly petty thing for the BBC to produce though. On the other hand at least they are giving us a bit of colour, unlike Sky, whose pieces tend to be dull as dishwater.

Edited by goingthedistance, 11 April 2013 - 18:12.

#816 robefc

robefc

• 8,020 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 18:18

I remember that advert!

I don't really get the kimi thing, I don't see how being uncooperative and rude is seen as cool. Some music and sports stars get a free pass on that sort of thing and I've never understood why.

That said, it was a strange montage from the bbc, not sure if they are backing lee's frustration or it is meant as light hearted.

#817 hansmann

hansmann

• 260 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 18:21

Why is that bullshit? He doesn't have to talk to her.

Yes he does .

An F1 driver who doesn't talk to the media is useless, because without the media F1 would not exist, and Kimi never would have made a ton of money .
And even today, the BBC is still somewhat important in F1 .
Kimi gets away with it because he is the only one who acts like that, a somewhat charming anomaly, and there is not one other reason .

For the young people : not taking off your sunglasses during a conversation is indeed rude, by any Western standards .
Being asked to do so, and refusing, is offensive; doing all that on TV during an interview is ignorant .

Just saying; I liked the bit, I wished more drivers were more edgy, but it doesn't change the facts .

#818 smitten

smitten

• 1,442 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 18:22

That said, it was a strange montage from the bbc, not sure if they are backing lee's frustration or it is meant as light hearted.

It simply says "he does his talking on the track" with a throwaway from Lee when he wouldn't take his shades off. I think some people are being a bit over-precious about it. He was rude, she pulled a face, there's a bit of previous, and some knickers are in knots.

#819 MinT

MinT

• 2,038 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 18:28

It simply says "he does his talking on the track" with a throwaway from Lee when he wouldn't take his shades off. I think some people are being a bit over-precious about it. He was rude, she pulled a face, there's a bit of previous, and some knickers are in knots.

Its not "simply" saying that at all - its saying "he does his talking on the track, and off it he is rude, monosyllabic, falls over going upstairs and gets booed by fans when he doesn't stop to sign autographs".

If anyone is being precious - its the BBC for this rather strange little film which appears to serve no real purpose other than to paint the driver in a poor light and make Lee look a bit sensitive - even the still that acts as the link on the website shows her gurning over her shoulder.

All a bit strange but ironically Kimi wont care less - only the Lotus PR team will have a reaction I would imagine.

Advertisement

#820 P123

P123

• 8,364 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 18:33

Its not "simply" saying that at all - its saying "he does his talking on the track, and off it he is rude, monosyllabic, falls over going upstairs and gets booed by fans when he doesn't stop to sign autographs".

If anyone is being precious - its the BBC for this rather strange little film which appears to serve no real purpose other than to paint the driver in a poor light and make Lee look a bit sensitive - even the still that acts as the link on the website shows her gurning over her shoulder.

Kimi paints himself in a poor light at times, a video montage on the BBC website doesn't change that.

#821 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,282 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 18:40

No, but if they've been not entirely truthful with editing that's an issue.

#822 swerved

swerved

• 3,616 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 19:00

This was an attempt at a hatchet job, there's no valid reason for the interviewer asking Kimi to remove his glasses, I've posted elsewhere several examples of her being perfectly happy to interview other drivers with their shades on and as far as i'm aware no-one here called those drivers rude, and neither did Lee or anyone else at the BBC.

Coupled with the dishonestly edited video, and her own admission that she stomped back determined never to interview him again its crystal clear that they did that piece with an agenda.

#823 goingthedistance

goingthedistance

• 2,258 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 19:03

This was an attempt at a hatchet job, there's no valid reason for the interviewer asking Kimi to remove his glasses, I've posted elsewhere several examples of her being perfectly happy to interview other drivers with their shades on and as far as i'm aware no-one here called those drivers rude, and neither did Lee or anyone else at the BBC.

Coupled with the dishonestly edited video, and her own admission that she stomped back determined never to interview him again its crystal clear that they did that piece with an agenda.

But what agenda? Why do a hatchet job on him if he wasn't rude? That's what I don't get. There may have been worse we didn't see? Who knows.

#824 smitten

smitten

• 1,442 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 19:07

there's no valid reason for the interviewer asking Kimi to remove his glasses,

If it were for radio I'd agree, but for a piece to camera like that I don't think it was unreasonable to ask.

#825 bub

bub

• 2,248 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 19:14

If it were for radio I'd agree, but for a piece to camera like that I don't think it was unreasonable to ask.

True but it also wasn't unreasonable for him to refuse. There are tons of on-camera interviews with drivers with their shades on.

Even if the BBC piece was an attempt to portray Kimi negatively(which I don't think it was), I don't care. He doesn't like the media, they don't have to like him.

#826 swerved

swerved

• 3,616 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 19:22

But what agenda? Why do a hatchet job on him if he wasn't rude? That's what I don't get. There may have been worse we didn't see? Who knows.

As you say, who knows.

Why ask someone to do something you've just prefaced with "I know its a pain but" especially when you've interviewed many drivers (I found about 5 instances) without asking them to remove theirs.

In isolation maybe it might be seen as a perfectly reasonable request, but given that the BBC went to some lengths to construct an item deliberately designed to portray a driver in a poor light, together with the fact that she'd obviously felt strong enough to advise her boss she didn't want to interview him again i dont think it can be viewed in isolation.

#827 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,048 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 19:23

Of course Kimi doesn't have to do it but taking off your sun glasses for 5 or 10 minutes isn't asking for much, is it? It makes Kimi seems a little egocentric that's all but then this is Kimi, he couldn't give a flying ****.

#828 apexpredator

apexpredator

• 242 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 19:34

No, but if they've been not entirely truthful with editing that's an issue.

Exactly. The boo's have been dubbed in, that's just bordering on childish and tabloid-level journalism.

It was clear she only asked to get a reaction out of him, she knows well enough by now to know exactly how Kimi would react.

What was amusing is that Lee was put right back in her place when he laid down the law and told her she needs to hurry up. Might as well have said "Yeah Lee, you're on MY time, I call the shots here."

What does that feeble minded poor excuse of a 'journalist' do? Looks away awkwardly to the camera man and flutters her eyelashes, completely embarrassed for being talked down to like a second-rate TV presenter. With her ego bruised, she decided to scrap the idea and digs for any and every piece of out-dated defamatory footage as a way of getting back at Kimi for not answering questions that barely matched the intellectual sophistication of a 12 year old's work.

Hmmm, you'd never have guessed that I dislike Lee :rotfl:

Edited by apexpredator, 11 April 2013 - 19:36.

#829 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 1,758 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 19:35

I think we can all agree that she needs to be dragged behind the safety car in front of the crowds until she's just a red smear on the tarmac. Shall I start the petition?

I don't see any need to punish the track.

:clap:

#830 swerved

swerved

• 3,616 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 19:40

Of course Kimi doesn't have to do it but taking off your sun glasses for 5 or 10 minutes isn't asking for much, is it? It makes Kimi seems a little egocentric that's all but then this is Kimi, he couldn't give a flying ****.

No, i agree, of course it isn't, but then i also agree that its just as acceptable to refuse, perhaps if it was anyone else asking he may have just complied.

Its no big deal really i just think there's more behind it that we dont know.

#831 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 20:21

Seems like this thread has gained some fan boys. Way too much over reaction. :rolleyes:

Especially the mod  ;)

Edited by chrisblades85, 11 April 2013 - 20:23.

#832 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,718 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 22:38

True but it also wasn't unreasonable for him to refuse. There are tons of on-camera interviews with drivers with their shades on.

Even if the BBC piece was an attempt to portray Kimi negatively(which I don't think it was), I don't care. He doesn't like the media, they don't have to like him.

About sums it up really. What's the big deal? From either point of view?

#833 Nahnever

Nahnever

• 257 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 22:39

Is the BBC showing FP1?

Edited by Nahnever, 11 April 2013 - 22:39.

#834 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,718 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 22:40

:up: Yep. in a few hours....

#835 Nahnever

Nahnever

• 257 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 23:02

:up: Yep. in a few hours....

Thanks

#836 goingthedistance

goingthedistance

• 2,258 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 13:05

Just watching a bit of the BBC FP session. Ben Edwards has verbal diarrhea, it's like he's calling a horse race. Just never pauses much. Horrible. He's single handedly driving me back to Sky!

#837 xAtarigeekx

xAtarigeekx

• 573 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 14:34

Just watching a bit of the BBC FP session. Ben Edwards has verbal diarrhea, it's like he's calling a horse race. Just never pauses much. Horrible. He's single handedly driving me back to Sky!

He's terrible. Every time I see people moan on here about Crofty, I can't help but think that for all his faults, and as overexcited as he gets sometimes, he's nowhere near as bad as Edwards. It's just a constant stream of shouting loudly any time the camera changes to a different shot.

Honestly as bad a Legard.

#838 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 14:54

What was worse was cutting way from cars on track (vettels soft tyre lap, same with raikkonen) to pointless expo's like interviewing chilton or looking into a glass box in the mclaren garage.

At least Edwards has a knowledge of motorsport and can read a race, things which croft is sorely lacking. He was the only one in the box today as well, which was odd.

#839 button_sw

button_sw

• 58 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 14:56

Honestly as bad a Legard.

No one is as bad as Legard, I recently heard him commentating a football match and it was just as cringe worthy as his F1 work :)

:rotfl:

Advertisement

#840 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,048 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 15:09

Legard was always causing problems...

#841 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 15:11

Legard was always causing problems...

:lol: 99 problems

#842 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 15:22

What was worse was cutting way from cars on track (vettels soft tyre lap, same with raikkonen) to pointless expo's like interviewing chilton or looking into a glass box in the mclaren garage.

At least Edwards has a knowledge of motorsport and can read a race, things which croft is sorely lacking. He was the only one in the box today as well, which was odd.

Yeah, but Sky cut away to an ad break while Red Bull were taking an angle grinder to Vettel's car this morning. I don't recall Crofty mentioning this upon their return? So at least the Beeb were cutting away to stuff at opportune moments and not to show annoying Santander and iPhone adverts or whatever.

And I don't think Edwards being alone in the comms box did him much favours today.

#843 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 15:29

Yeah, but Sky cut away to an ad break while Red Bull were taking an angle grinder to Vettel's car this morning. I don't recall Crofty mentioning this upon their return? So at least the Beeb were cutting away to stuff at opportune moments and not to show annoying Santander and iPhone adverts or whatever.

And I don't think Edwards being alone in the comms box did him much favours today.

Thats precisely my point. They were doing exactly that, frequently at the most inopportune moments. Why would I want to see max chilton/whoever spewing driverspeak when I could watch the onboard quali sims? Brainless TV direction.

#844 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 15:39

Very hard thing to do sit and talk to your self for 1 and a half hours, Will Buxton struggles sometimes on GP2 commentary when he's alone.

#845 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 15:59

Thats precisely my point. They were doing exactly that, frequently at the most inopportune moments. Why would I want to see max chilton/whoever spewing driverspeak when I could watch the onboard quali sims? Brainless TV direction.

What did you miss as a consequence of them chatting to Chilton, Magnussen or whoever? I'd wager it was something between nothing and diddily squat.

#846 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 16:04

Two of the most interesting laps of the entire day?

I'm not calling for the head of the director general, but it could be improved is my point. They never cut-away from the cars on track that much in previous years. Anyway, tis only practice.Ho hum.

#847 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 8,536 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:20

:lol: 99 problems

and his commentary is 1, or maybe 99.

#848 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 8,536 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:21

Is this the first time the BBC have replayed or placed FP3 on iPlayer?

#849 bauss

bauss

• 5,013 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:45

watching qualy on BBC Iplayer.. you can see Suzie is new at this

she is nice enough to behold but not too much to be a distraction...if u know what i mean :p

#850 smitten

smitten

• 1,442 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:53

watching qualy on BBC Iplayer.. you can see Suzie is new at this

Only new to F1 - I thought her MotoGP coverage was very good and she did that for 2 or 3 years.