Photo
* * * * - 6 votes

F1 Coverage Thread - 2013 Season (BBC and Sky)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2194 replies to this topic

#1051 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 1,665 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:11

I remember Bernie being interviewed at the time about why CH4 were not given a chance to share the rights and Bernie said it was upto the BBC, they owned the rights, it was their decision to go with SLY...sorry I mean SKY ;)

Is this tha same Bernie who claimed that as Sky have 10m subscribers in the UK there would be minimal drop-off in viewer figures.

Advertisement

#1052 Lights

Lights

• 9,492 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:42

If you're able to invite the pole man to explain his qualifying lap on the skypad Anthony, perhaps don't interrupt him during the lap?

#1053 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 4,770 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:47

Lazenby 'Vettel dominated last year from start to finish'
Obviously doesn't remember Kimi so very nearly diving up Vettels inside...

Also Sky's 'Weekend in stills' feature had no on track images. Zero.

Edited by TomNokoe, 21 April 2013 - 10:52.

#1054 MaccaMerc

MaccaMerc

• 22 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 14:25

Is this tha same Bernie who claimed that as Sky have 10m subscribers in the UK there would be minimal drop-off in viewer figures.

If I remember rightly he even tried to claim that F1 being on Sky would mean that it would be possible for more people to watch F1.
He obviously forgot that the BBC channels are available to a lot more houses than 10m houses that have Sky.

#1055 DoodoolTalla

DoodoolTalla

• 203 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 16:24

I normally prefer and watch SKY over BBC, but I honestly can't believe it took them over a lap to finally notice Alonso's DRS flap open. At one point they ware just showing the camera pointed to the wing open for 30 seconds and they still didn't notice! Serious wtf!

#1056 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 17:10

BBC commentry a bit poor at the mo.

#1057 Sennasational

Sennasational

• 207 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 17:35

BBC commentry a bit poor at the mo.

Why were Suzy and David wearing matching outfits?

#1058 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 4,770 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 18:18

I normally prefer and watch SKY over BBC, but I honestly can't believe it took them over a lap to finally notice Alonso's DRS flap open. At one point they ware just showing the camera pointed to the wing open for 30 seconds and they still didn't notice! Serious wtf!

same. Give Will Buxton the job.

#1059 smacz

smacz

• 28 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 19:08

OMG it has started already, one of the things about Suzi I had hoped that, on principle, they wouldn't bring to F1.

The highlights of the BBC's Bahrain GP on iPlayer starts with camera down by Suzi Perry's legs when she starts talking, and *then* slowly brings it up to her face afterwards.

They always used to do that on the Gadget Show, and they're already doing this on BBC F1.

Ulgh. :rolleyes:

Advertisement

#1060 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,377 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 19:18

What did you think about her outfit?

#1061 smacz

smacz

• 28 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 21:02

What did you think about her outfit?

It's fine. I'm OK with Eddie Jordan's shirts, shoes, etc., and I'm OK with Suzi's attire (thus far). A bit quirky or colourful is fine by me, especially for the VT's (I personally don't mind people wearing magenta, teal, marigold, etc.). For the main pitlane punditry, she was a bit more toned down, wearing similar to DC. Wearing white in a hot desert climate, or jazzing up the colour, particularly in India, for example, with that I have no qualms.

But anyway, I'd rather the camera focus on capturing Suzi being knowledgeable, informative, and enthusiastic, and not on her feet/legs. I hope in the future they eliminate that bit, as it's not entirely relevant.

#1062 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 21:03

But her hair was nice right?

And her sentence structure is usually pretty good.

#1063 PurpleHam

PurpleHam

• 562 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 21:12

Lazenby is a shocking presenter, he was all last year, and nothing has changed, still finishes live interviews so awkwardly.

You'll never get better presenting than Humphrey, but Suzi is a big motorsport fan and she's doing ok, it's a big job for her, she's still finding her feet a little.

#1064 smacz

smacz

• 28 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 21:16

But her hair was nice right?

And her sentence structure is usually pretty good.

Do you have an argument or opinion to express about the coverage? If so, please contribute.

Edited by smacz, 21 April 2013 - 21:17.

#1065 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,375 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 21:17

Lazenby is a shocking presenter, he was all last year, and nothing has changed, still finishes live interviews so awkwardly.

You'll never get better presenting than Humphrey, but Suzi is a big motorsport fan and she's doing ok, it's a big job for her, she's still finding her feet a little.

:stoned:

#1066 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,322 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 21:18

I wasn't with those white flares she was flapping about in today. Not digging them Suzi. If youre gonna roll with crazy D you gotta rock the tighty whiteys.

Edited by Tenmantaylor, 21 April 2013 - 21:20.

#1067 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,377 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 21:19

Do you have an argument or opinion to express about the coverage? If so, please contribute.

There's no way to improve on your submissions so we don't even try.

#1068 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,992 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 21:43

You'll never get better presenting than Humphrey,

Okay thats a cert for insane post of the year 2013 award.

Jakey boy was an idiot, BBC brown noser with ZERO passion about F1. Good riddance.

Edited by Longtimefan, 21 April 2013 - 21:43.

#1069 PurpleHam

PurpleHam

• 562 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 21:48

Jakey boy was an idiot, BBC brown noser with ZERO passion about F1. Good riddance.

He's a very smooth, intelligent presenter, infact his presenting style in impeccable.

He may not be a big F1 fan, but he was and is a very good TV presenter.

#1070 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,377 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 21:51

He's alright. A bit like vanilla custard. Does the job, but isn't memorable.

#1071 PurpleHam

PurpleHam

• 562 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 21:59

He's alright. A bit like vanilla custard. Does the job, but isn't memorable.

Vanilla custard is one of the best food stuffs known it man...there is not a person on earth that does not like it.

So I rest my case, I can see Humphrey has his detractors, but in my opinion he's a very good presenter, I enjoyed his presenting, he makes Lazenby look amateur at best.

#1072 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,377 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 22:00

No, but it's not at the top of their list either. Good foundation, little more.

#1073 weareracing

weareracing

• 888 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 22:09

Jake Humphreys :lol:
Jack of all trades, Master of none.
I'm happy to watch BOTH transmissions, BBC and Sky and I appreciate punditry from those who are immersed in the Sport.
Jake, Simon a pair of Steve Ryders/Des Lynehams, talk a lot and add little to the viewers knowledge.
It's just how unimaginative BOTH networks are, they don't think the experts can handle it on their own and need a Mr.Bland to "smile" it all together.
About as useful as the FOM Race Director who cuts to endless replays of the start just as DRS has been enabled and overtaking has started :rolleyes:

#1074 PurpleHam

PurpleHam

• 562 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 22:10

No, but it's not at the top of their list either. Good foundation, little more.

It's the icing on the cake dude, the 10 top puddings in the world would be nothing without custard.

Jake, Eddie and David were great together, much better than SLY's offerings for me, even though SLY nicked half the Beeb's team.

Humphrey was the glue, and he linked things seamlessly, but I can see a few did not like him, I'd like to know a better presenter for F1 in this day and age.

#1075 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,377 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 22:11

Oh god, is 'Sly' now the nervous tick for this thread?

#1076 PurpleHam

PurpleHam

• 562 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 22:14

Jake Humphreys :lol:
Jack of all trades, Master of none.
I'm happy to watch BOTH transmissions, BBC and Sky and I appreciate punditry from those who are immersed in the Sport.
Jake, Simon a pair of Steve Ryders/Des Lynehams, talk a lot and add little to the viewers knowledge.
It's just how unimaginative BOTH networks are, they don't think the experts can handle it on their own and need a Mr.Bland to "smile" it all together.
About as useful as the FOM Race Director who cuts to endless replays of the start just as DRS has been enabled and overtaking has started :rolleyes:

You need a blend, and Jake, Eddie and David together had a bit of everything but it was Humphrey who glued it together, he was very smooth and never made mistakes.

I liked the BBC coverage while they were together, sorry but I did.

#1077 EthanM

EthanM

• 2,104 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 22:14

there's about 400 different things I watch for in an F1 broadcast, the anchor is probably number 387 in order of importance.

#1078 weareracing

weareracing

• 888 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 22:23

No need to apologise Purple, we all have our preferences.
As I say I'm happy to watch BOTH transmissions.
My preference is that I want presenters who are relevant to the Sport, not a network anchorman.
In that respect I have EQUAL disdain for BOTH Lazenby and Humphreys :down: :down:

#1079 PurpleHam

PurpleHam

• 562 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 22:27

I'm watching Louis Theroux at the mo', he'd be a boss F1 presenter :D

Advertisement

#1080 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,774 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 22:55

The problem for the main presenter is that when they're doing a good job, we don't notice them, but when they make mistakes, have mannerisms we don't like, etc., it stands out more and receives far greater attention (in this thread at least). It's like the tyre companies' complaint about F1 (in the pre-Pirelli days at least): the tyres only received publicity when there was a puncture, not when they were winning races.

#1081 Xeriks

Xeriks

• 869 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:25

And Simon Lazenby does? he did a much better job in his first season than Simon did, and he has shown no improvements since last year, it's embarrassing to watch.

#1082 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:26

Does anyone actually sit through all 90 minutes of Sky's pre-race coverage?

#1083 apexpredator

apexpredator

• 242 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:54

there's about 400 different things I watch for in an F1 broadcast, the anchor is probably number 387 in order of importance.

Exactly...and that's where I think the problem with Jake came. He was too polarizing, presenter needs to be neutral. He so desperately tried to make it The Jake Show every time, just me, me , me, it's all about me, I'm the star here, I want to do all the talking here. This is Formula 1, fans just want to drop-kick these TV goons out of the way and watch/hear the real stars.

As long as a presenter isn't horrifically bad/stupid (e.g. Georgie), I don't think it matters. To me a presenter is just a tiny piece, the job is just to que what's happened and what's coming up. So in that sense Lazenby is alright, he's not the most amazing entertaining presenter in the world but with a backdrop of F1 racing he doesn't need to be. Save that razzmatazz for some evening dating show or something. At least he's not all up on your face to the point you get sick of him, and he knows his place...he is no star, he is one of the least important people at the paddock. This is something Jake never could grasp.

#1084 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 2,944 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:56

No. I start watching 30 minutes before race start.

#1085 apexpredator

apexpredator

• 242 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:56

Nope. I have every session on record. I wait till we're 40-50 mins in to the live footage and then I start playing it. Fast forward the BS parts that don't interest me, I then catch up to the point of the live feed just in time for the warm up lap of the race.

#1086 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 1,366 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:22

Nope. I have every session on record. I wait till we're 40-50 mins in to the live footage and then I start playing it. Fast forward the BS parts that don't interest me, I then catch up to the point of the live feed just in time for the warm up lap of the race.

Same. I find it's quantity over quality. It's funny when you whiz through the footage and you see the race only actually starts about half way through the coverage. Even the World Cup final only has about 30 mins - 45 mins of pre match hype!

Edited by superdelphinus, 22 April 2013 - 08:23.

#1087 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,322 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:33

Exactly...and that's where I think the problem with Jake came. He was too polarizing, presenter needs to be neutral. He so desperately tried to make it The Jake Show every time, just me, me , me, it's all about me, I'm the star here, I want to do all the talking here. This is Formula 1, fans just want to drop-kick these TV goons out of the way and watch/hear the real stars.

I think you have a personal dislike of Jake rather than thinking he was a bad presenter. I thought Jake was excellent, he was engaging with everyone he spoke to, had a fantastic rapport with his co-presenters which made it feel like you were part of the team. It was actually fun to watch Jake, Eddie and DC strut the pitlane shooting the breeze like a bunch of friends. And I don't know where this BS about him not knowing anything about F1 came from, I never saw or heard anything from him that made me think he was out of his depth regarding knowledge of the sport. He was always impeccably prepared for each show and ran an extremely slick operation. The forced awkwardness of Lazenby and Hill on Sky is excruciating in comparison. Herbert is the only bit of light relief with his self deprecating humour.

As long as a presenter isn't horrifically bad/stupid (e.g. Georgie), I don't think it matters. To me a presenter is just a tiny piece, the job is just to que what's happened and what's coming up. So in that sense Lazenby is alright, he's not the most amazing entertaining presenter in the world but with a backdrop of F1 racing he doesn't need to be. Save that razzmatazz for some evening dating show or something. At least he's not all up on your face to the point you get sick of him, and he knows his place...he is no star, he is one of the least important people at the paddock. This is something Jake never could grasp.

If you don't like any presenters and don't need telling anything or aren't interested in anything but the racing just watch the race rather than whining about the bits before and after :drunk:

#1088 apexpredator

apexpredator

• 242 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:07

I think you have a personal dislike of Jake rather than thinking he was a bad presenter. I thought Jake was excellent, he was engaging with everyone he spoke to, had a fantastic rapport with his co-presenters which made it feel like you were part of the team. It was actually fun to watch Jake, Eddie and DC strut the pitlane shooting the breeze like a bunch of friends. And I don't know where this BS about him not knowing anything about F1 came from, I never saw or heard anything from him that made me think he was out of his depth regarding knowledge of the sport. He was always impeccably prepared for each show and ran an extremely slick operation. The forced awkwardness of Lazenby and Hill on Sky is excruciating in comparison. Herbert is the only bit of light relief with his self deprecating humour.

It's nothing personal against Jake, and if you read I said he's polarizing. You think his excellent, others think he's awful, and that's not the right formula for a presenter in my opinion. I mean of course you can't please everybody, there's bound to be those who dislike any presenter but the balance should be more towards people feeling neutral/good about it. In Jake's case he had people who either loved him or hated him.

You can't just say 'it was actually fun to watch Jake' like it's a fact, that's your view. I was talking about the general polarizing views people have of him (my own view of him is even lower. But I'm not going to talk about my one individual's insignificant opinion with nonsense like how fun or not fun it was for me as if it actually matters). I didn't say he did not know anything about F1, you just brought that up all on your own.

There are things that many people found very unlikable about him. Don't take it personally like it's an attack on you, seriously some Humphrey 'fans' behave like drivers' fans at times.

If you don't like any presenters and don't need telling anything or aren't interested in anything but the racing just watch the race rather than whining about the bits before and after :drunk:

So does that mean I should deprive myself from watching driver interviews? Which FYI, are usually done by the presenter (or at least it was by Jake). I was speaking about F1 in the whole sense, not just the lights to flags bit. But I didn't say I don't like any presenters, I was reiterated the other post in that the presenter is the least significant part of the viewing experience, so he/she should not be all up in your face taking up the spotlight.

Lazenby stays in the background, he just does his bit and shuts up, so whether he's good or bad either way people don't have to put up with him. Imagine now, considering how excruciatingly bad you find him, if he was on the screen loud and all the whole way through Jake style? Now that would be a piss take. This is how many felt about Jake for those years.

#1089 smitten

smitten

• 1,442 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:17

You think his excellent, others think he's awful, and that's not the right formula for a presenter in my opinion. I mean of course you can't please everybody, there's bound to be those who dislike any presenter but the balance should be more towards people feeling neutral/good about it. In Jake's case he had people who either loved him or hated him.

Well that's not true as I am/was completely ambivalent about him. Every presenter is liked/tolerated/loathed by sections of the audience, and frankly if the host annoys you so much then you should change channels for the sake of your blood pressure.

#1090 apexpredator

apexpredator

• 242 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:51

Well that's not true as I am/was completely ambivalent about him. Every presenter is liked/tolerated/loathed by sections of the audience, and frankly if the host annoys you so much then you should change channels for the sake of your blood pressure.

...or even better, the channel showing live F1 changes, with a different host :lol:

Although saying that I think BBC's production quality of the coverage was better. Sky wins on quantity, having a dedicated F1 channel, especially the insight features done by Brundle. But on some weekends you can feel they don't quite have enough content to fill in the 90 minute pre-show and are just stretching it. Plus the post-race coverage isn't anything near BBC's.

Saying that, I think one of the common overriding objections people have with Sky is its owner Murdoch and (as a consequence) the high subscription costs, the media ethics argument etc.
Now though I think it's just as easy (if not more) to dislike BBC as an institute, seeing as they've used our money to harbour a pedophile ring, part-take in censorship, influence political agendas...and are forcing us all to pay for its service. At least Murdoch gives us a choice, if we don't want Sky we don't pay for it.

#1091 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,375 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:12

...or even better, the channel showing live F1 changes, with a different host :lol:

Although saying that I think BBC's production quality of the coverage was better. Sky wins on quantity, having a dedicated F1 channel, especially the insight features done by Brundle. But on some weekends you can feel they don't quite have enough content to fill in the 90 minute pre-show and are just stretching it. Plus the post-race coverage isn't anything near BBC's.

Saying that, I think one of the common overriding objections people have with Sky is its owner Murdoch and (as a consequence) the high subscription costs, the media ethics argument etc.
Now though I think it's just as easy (if not more) to dislike BBC as an institute, seeing as they've used our money to harbour a pedophile ring, part-take in censorship, influence political agendas...and are forcing us all to pay for its service. At least Murdoch gives us a choice, if we don't want Sky we don't pay for it.

that!

#1092 Alexis*27

Alexis*27

• 759 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:04

It's nothing personal against Jake, and if you read I said he's polarizing. You think his excellent, others think he's awful, and that's not the right formula for a presenter in my opinion. I mean of course you can't please everybody, there's bound to be those who dislike any presenter but the balance should be more towards people feeling neutral/good about it. In Jake's case he had people who either loved him or hated him.

You can't just say 'it was actually fun to watch Jake' like it's a fact, that's your view. I was talking about the general polarizing views people have of him (my own view of him is even lower. But I'm not going to talk about my one individual's insignificant opinion with nonsense like how fun or not fun it was for me as if it actually matters). I didn't say he did not know anything about F1, you just brought that up all on your own.

There are things that many people found very unlikable about him. Don't take it personally like it's an attack on you, seriously some Humphrey 'fans' behave like drivers' fans at times.

So does that mean I should deprive myself from watching driver interviews? Which FYI, are usually done by the presenter (or at least it was by Jake). I was speaking about F1 in the whole sense, not just the lights to flags bit. But I didn't say I don't like any presenters, I was reiterated the other post in that the presenter is the least significant part of the viewing experience, so he/she should not be all up in your face taking up the spotlight.

Lazenby stays in the background, he just does his bit and shuts up, so whether he's good or bad either way people don't have to put up with him. Imagine now, considering how excruciatingly bad you find him, if he was on the screen loud and all the whole way through Jake style? Now that would be a piss take. This is how many felt about Jake for those years.

TBH, I think JH and SL are both pretty decent anchors. It's a job role I can't really see much scope for irritation in - they're all much of a muchness, whether you're watching F1 or Football Focus.

Steve Rider and Jim Rosenthal did good jobs as well, though I appreciate the role nowadays is more about getting more stuck in with the action.

#1093 pdac

pdac

• 861 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:52

Jakes gone. No need to discuss him anymore.

#1094 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,395 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:01

Can you present your data that shows this balance does not exist?

#1095 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,939 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:20

The problem for the main presenter is that when they're doing a good job, we don't notice them, but when they make mistakes, have mannerisms we don't like, etc., it stands out more and receives far greater attention (in this thread at least). It's like the tyre companies' complaint about F1 (in the pre-Pirelli days at least): the tyres only received publicity when there was a puncture, not when they were winning races.

:up:

Yes, it's probably the only job for which "a bit bland" is a compliment ;)

#1096 Arry2k

Arry2k

• 360 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:26

Is anyone else finding the 'Kimi's Quote of the Week' feature on Sky's "The F1 Show" actually quite shit and not in the least bit funny, or is it just me?

#1097 EthanM

EthanM

• 2,104 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:56

Is anyone else finding the 'Kimi's Quote of the Week' feature on Sky's "The F1 Show" actually quite shit and not in the least bit funny, or is it just me?

Why do you get amused by let's make some drivers play jenga?

They got time to fill, the resort to fluff.

#1098 MarileneRiddle

MarileneRiddle

• 399 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 13:17

Just my opinion:

- Suzi's not bad. DC is quirky/insightful.

- Still can't stand Lazenby. Herbert is starting to get on my nerves. Hill is acceptable.

- I am missing Jake. If only BBC 2011 team stayed together...

#1099 FastnLoud

FastnLoud

• 751 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 13:23

Just my opinion:

- Suzi's not bad. DC is quirky/insightful.

- Still can't stand Lazenby. Herbert is starting to get on my nerves. Hill is acceptable.

- I am missing Jake. If only BBC 2011 team stayed together...

I agree with this one, although i would replace Crofty with DC at Sky.

Advertisement

#1100 pRy

pRy

• 10,929 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 13:38

I agree with this one, although i would replace Crofty with DC at Sky.

Yup do a direct swap, DC for Crofty.. and both BBC and Sky would be perfect pairings in the comms box.